Thread: Edmonton Ski Club shutting down?

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Edmonton Ski Club shutting down?

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...onton-ski-club

After 106 years, the Edmonton Ski Club may have met its demise.

On Monday a note pasted on the door of the clubhouse in Gallagher Park says that the lease agreement between the City of Edmonton and the ski club will terminate on Dec. 10.

The letter from the city dated Nov. 9 reads, “Notice to terminate lease agreement between the City of Edmonton and the Edmonton Ski Club for lease dated the 16th day of January 1997.”

The decision to close the ski club was not made by the city, said city Coun. Ben Henderson. The decision to close it was made by the ski club board, he said.

The problem with the lease, he said, is that if the club isn’t going to be operating this year it created problems with the legal conditions of the lease.

“And I don’t know if that is the final decision and I don’t think we’d get in the way of helping them operate if they wanted to, so I think this was just a way of making sure that everything is legally clear with the lease,” Henderson said.

He said he is meeting with ski club representatives next week to have a clearer idea of what the situation is.

“It’s just an informal meeting, which will hopefully bring me up to speed with what their thinking is and we can figure out how to continue to move forward,” he said. “And I don’t think in closing it they ever anticipated a permanent closure. I think their choice was just to not operate this season. Now whether or not they are in a position to revisit that I don’t know. I’d love to see them operate this year if there was a way to do it.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

Strange, a construction fence has been put up the whole perimeter of connors road...assume that is by TransEd though.

But they just rebuilt the foundation at the top of Connors hill for the t-bar and in the last month re-installed the top sheave and related equipment.

Looked like they were trying to get everything in to re-open.

Keep in mind that this is a legal requirement to terminate the existing lease agreement, ie. opening it up to a new one. My understanding is that this will hopefully be worked out and reopened for 2018/19.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Keep in mind that this is a legal requirement to terminate the existing lease agreement, ie. opening it up to a new one. My understanding is that this will hopefully be worked out and reopened for 2018/19.
    I hope so too, i was very pleased with the new plan for the ski club which I thought thy were moving forward on trying to find funding for.

I just hope to be able to hop on the LRT with skis or my toboggan and head to that hill.
    www.decl.org

^ toboggan will always be an option I suppose if the ski hill does in fact close permanently.

I really hope that they figure this out and work towards their plan to include a tubbing area with lift, more x-country space, skating trails etc.
    www.decl.org

I'm hopeful to see there year-round plans come to fruition. There was talk of a bike park and other summer uses

C2E Posting Power

^Nothing will happen there unless they get more support from the City. The ski club loses money every year, it's attendance is abysmal compared to Snow Valley, which get's a lot more funding than ESC. None of that stuff can happen unless the city is willing to pay for it. I heard last year most of the citys funds went to just snow making alone.The ESC is an amazing asset so close to downtown, but it has been underutilized for decades by the public. Is this a situation where we assume if we build it they will come?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I just hope to be able to hop on the LRT with skis or my toboggan and head to that hill.
    I hope everyone doesn't think this way, skis tend to be awkward and why greyhound shoves into luggage compartments!

Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    ^Nothing will happen there unless they get more support from the City. The ski club loses money every year, it's attendance is abysmal compared to Snow Valley, which get's a lot more funding than ESC. None of that stuff can happen unless the city is willing to pay for it. I heard last year most of the citys funds went to just snow making alone.The ESC is an amazing asset so close to downtown, but it has been underutilized for decades by the public. Is this a situation where we assume if we build it they will come?
    I think a major key is to make it more a year round destination. Other than folk fest, the entire Ski Club area sits completely dormant for the majority of the year.
    It's a great asset, but it hasn't had any substantial investment in a long time. It definitely feels worn out, especially the facilities.

I think the vision they have for it is good, but it requires a cash injection no doubt.

The toboggan part is always there on Gallagher and isn't tied to the Ski Club...
    Tough slog hauling a toboggan up that hill each time, but if a child can do it, you can to!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I hope everyone doesn't think this way, skis tend to be awkward and why greyhound shoves into luggage compartments!
    I've taken the subway in Tokyo with ski equipment. It's not a problem.

Bingo. I have done it in Van and MTL.
    www.decl.org

Valley line construction is certainly taking its toll, thoughprobably nothing with the current plan could be done to avoid any of the disruptions.

Yep, needs a summer component for sure - like that idea of linking to the trail system for bikers, joggers et al, and yes, hot tubs with some, umm refreshments.

Only problem is, being in a residential area, would have to keep any potentially rowdy (read beverage) component reasonably small - maybe even neighbourhood sized.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I've taken the subway in Tokyo with ski equipment. It's not a problem.
    Really? Crowded, and skis,hmm if you say so

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I take the Canada Line everyday here in Vancouver, with the local mountains now open there are always people with ski gear on the trains. I have never once found it to be an annoyance, even on crowded trains, and the trains here are way more crowded than in Edmonton.

Boots skis, I think Gondola, although are trains are pretty empty.

Yep. It would be great if someone had the fortitude to come up with a solid long-term plan for the ESC moving forward. Fantastic piece of property and long standing historic club being underutilized and a sinkhole for tax payer money. Before the Valley line becomes operational, now is the time to put some money into it, along with a good strategic plan, and either redevelop and rethink the way the ESC operates, or put the land to a better public use.
    East of the Rockies, and west of the rest!