Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 101 to 161 of 161

Thread: Alberta Party - Centre Together

  1. #101

    Default

    It's a press release. They're all like that.
    www.decl.org

  2. #102
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    4,004

    Default

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ader-1.4553053

    " The party has experienced a surge of interest in the past year. "




    Yeah.

    This thing is really taking off.


  3. #103
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,766
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I completely understand the sarcasm...

    ....but with the two current parties failing and flailing so badly, maybe this one can play a role in getting folks to wake up...

    I know my UCP MLA made a bunch of commitments...but then vanished when I asked for a follow up...and the current NDP administration couldn't care less about issues that aren't wedge ones...yet I see a definite muting of rhetoric and even some small actions that make me wonder if the vote splitting fears are setting in...
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

  4. #104
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    11,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I completely understand the sarcasm...

    ....but with the two current parties failing and flailing so badly, maybe this one can play a role in getting folks to wake up...

    I know my UCP MLA made a bunch of commitments...but then vanished when I asked for a follow up...and the current NDP administration couldn't care less about issues that aren't wedge ones...yet I see a definite muting of rhetoric and even some small actions that make me wonder if the vote splitting fears are setting in...
    for years i was one of those who felt that change would more likely come from within than from outside of alberta’s mainstream political political party. i felt that way because i was one of those progressive conservatives who has never really recovered from ndp policies and practices elsewhere. at the same time, if i have to choose between the fiscal conservatism I believe in and the small “l” liberal social responsibilities we all have in building a society worth living in, then social responsibilities are the trump card. there is no place in alberta politics for me and i believe there are many albertans like me. the alberta party seems to offer a centrist home and their support won’t come from vote splitting - which implies choosing the lesser of two evils - as votes cast with comfort and alliance and hopefulness.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  5. #105
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,766
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I think you misunderstand...

    Their support is their support. The "vote splitting" represents a detailed and professed fear spoken by the NDP administration and the UCP opposition. In other words...people who would begrudgingly vote for either hard/herder line party out of allegiance/fear of the other would now find a home in the Alberta Party...and not plug their nose in doing so.

    The Alberta Party has everything to gain...
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

  6. #106
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    11,366

    Default

    i think we’re saying much the same thing RichardS...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  7. #107
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    8,766

    Default

    Isn't the Alberta party leadership vote happening today?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  8. #108
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Iqaluit, Nunavut
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Isn't the Alberta party leadership vote happening today?
    Been happening since Sunday online.

    According to a CBC article on the leadership vote there were 6,543 members of the Alberta Party signed up by the deadline to vote.

    Contrast that to 58,232 votes in the UCP party leadership.

    But then you can contrast that to 3,589 votes in the NDP leadership race in 2014.

  9. #109

    Default

    A little birdie told me that voting has now reached over 60% of the membership with the on-line voting to close at 5 p.m.

  10. #110

    Default

    Leadership announcement is today at 6pm.
    www.decl.org

  11. #111
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    4,004

    Default



    Is ol' Clarkie gonna be there ?


    Take up our quarrel with the foe
    To you, from failing hands, we throw
    The torch: be yours to hold it high,

  12. #112
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,766
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post


    Is ol' Clarkie gonna be there ?


    Take up our quarrel with the foe
    To you, from failing hands, we throw
    The torch: be yours to hold it high,
    Yes. He is here.

    Mandel. 66% win.
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

  13. #113
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post


    Is ol' Clarkie gonna be there ?


    Take up our quarrel with the foe
    To you, from failing hands, we throw
    The torch: be yours to hold it high,
    Yes. He is here.

    Mandel. 66% win.

    Hmm,I had enough of him as mayor. Leading the province, nope!

  14. #114
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    11,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post


    Is ol' Clarkie gonna be there ?


    Take up our quarrel with the foe
    To you, from failing hands, we throw
    The torch: be yours to hold it high,
    Yes. He is here.

    Mandel. 66% win.
    if the alberta party can fill a full slate of qualified candidates under mandel, the ndp and wild rose parties could be battling it out for official opposition status.

    if nothing else, notley and kenney won’t be able to continue playing polarized politics without playing in to mandel’s hand.

    this can’t help but be good for the province of alberta.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  15. #115
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sherwood Park, AB
    Posts
    10,804

    Default

    I think next election will be quite interesting. I think both the UCP (former Red Tories) and NDP (those frustrated with NDP performance) could lose some voters to the Alberta Party.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

  16. #116
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South of Ponoka and North of Red Deer
    Posts
    1

    Default

    ^^ While I agree that the Alberta Party under Mandel might bring forth some good ideas, the only way they see the light of day is if Kenney steals them.

    ^ I disagree. I may be just a transplated Edmontonian now living in the Bible Belt of Canada, but I can't see anyone south of Ellerslie Road getting elected from the NDP next time around. Premier Notley's attempt to appease the self-proclaimed Best Place on Earth and the self-evident Poutinest Place on Earth with the carbon tax in order to get support for a pipeline (any pipeline!) didn't quite work out, so folks outside the Capital Region will think twice about electing a party that is shameless about four more years of deficits. (Not that we won't have four more years of deficits regardless, of course.) And the Alberta Party led by a former Edmonton mayor just won't register as a valid option for most people in Central or Southern Alberta (especially Calgary!) looking for the quickest exit from this dalliance with the left-of-centre. Granted, they may attract some Red Tory votes that went NDP last time, but the NDP/Alberta Party vote split will send the UCP candidate to the top of the heap.

    While I personally would consider a vote for the Alberta Party, assuming they truly are fiscally responsible, I may as well pee upwind. Zero chance my vote will be meaningful.

  17. #117
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,592

    Default

    I don't think Calgary will vote for Edmonton's former mayor, or the rural areas. The UCP aren't red Tories, not at all. The NDP won't be in power!
    Last edited by H.L.; 27-02-2018 at 11:33 PM.

  18. #118
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post


    Is ol' Clarkie gonna be there ?


    Take up our quarrel with the foe
    To you, from failing hands, we throw
    The torch: be yours to hold it high,
    Yes. He is here.

    Mandel. 66% win.

    Hmm,I had enough of him as mayor. Leading the province, nope!
    We could have potholes all the way down the QE2 and Transcanada and beyond if he gets in.

  19. #119
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    8,766

    Default

    Even though 2019 is just around the corner I suspect with Mandel at the helm, the Alberta party will be Notley's official opposition. Kenny isn't that well known in Alberta and Mandel obviously is.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  20. #120
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    asia
    Posts
    2,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Even though 2019 is just around the corner I suspect with Mandel at the helm, the Alberta party will be Notley's official opposition. Kenny isn't that well known in Alberta and Mandel obviously is.
    You think Kenney isn't well-known in Alberta? Maybe not as well known as Stephen Harper, but I'd say he's about on par with any other local-boy cabinet minister.

    Mandel is well known in Edmonton, for sure, and I'm guessing most people elsewhere in Alberta would know who he was, but I'd be surprised if he has any sort of a popular following.

    Granted, I don't know much about rural Alberta and how aware they are of Edmonton. That 66% vote-haul might indicate that he's pretty popular, but then, how much of the AP membership is concentrated in Edmonton?

  21. #121
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    11,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I don't think Calgary will vote for Edmonton's former mayor, or the rural areas. The UCP aren't red Tories, not at all. The NDP won't be in power!
    we’ll see about calgary and the rural areas... and you’re right that the ucp aren’t red tories, it’s just that most albertans are probably closer to that than they are to the ucp which is how the ndp got elected last time.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  22. #122
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I don't think Calgary will vote for Edmonton's former mayor, or the rural areas. The UCP aren't red Tories, not at all. The NDP won't be in power!
    we’ll see about calgary and the rural areas... and you’re right that the ucp aren’t red tories, it’s just that most albertans are probably closer to that than they are to the ucp which is how the ndp got elected last time.
    Well Mandel is going to criss cross Alberta, lets see how he's received - I guess some might park their vote with him, I pretty much think he's a lost cause, jmho though

  23. #123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I don't think Calgary will vote for Edmonton's former mayor, or the rural areas. The UCP aren't red Tories, not at all. The NDP won't be in power!
    we’ll see about calgary and the rural areas... and you’re right that the ucp aren’t red tories, it’s just that most albertans are probably closer to that than they are to the ucp which is how the ndp got elected last time.
    Well Mandel is going to criss cross Alberta, lets see how he's received - I guess some might park their vote with him, I pretty much think he's a lost cause, jmho though
    Lost cause? Explain why please.

  24. #124
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton (belevedre)
    Posts
    6,492

    Default

    With Mandel becoming a leader of Alberta party may have weaken UCP a bit
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

  25. #125
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I don't think Calgary will vote for Edmonton's former mayor, or the rural areas. The UCP aren't red Tories, not at all. The NDP won't be in power!
    we’ll see about calgary and the rural areas... and you’re right that the ucp aren’t red tories, it’s just that most albertans are probably closer to that than they are to the ucp which is how the ndp got elected last time.
    Well Mandel is going to criss cross Alberta, lets see how he's received - I guess some might park their vote with him, I pretty much think he's a lost cause, jmho though
    Lost cause? Explain why please.
    Because to me, he was an okay mayor, but a premier? Nope, no chance.I just heard him talk, and he's trying too hard to sound hip and young, he's not, he's nearly 70. You'll see what I mean when he debates Notley and Kenney, he's out of his league

    .I did say jmho !

  26. #126

    Default

    Well, there goes my support for the Alberta Party.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  27. #127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Well, there goes my support for the Alberta Party.
    Great news!

  28. #128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I don't think Calgary will vote for Edmonton's former mayor, or the rural areas. The UCP aren't red Tories, not at all. The NDP won't be in power!
    we’ll see about calgary and the rural areas... and you’re right that the ucp aren’t red tories, it’s just that most albertans are probably closer to that than they are to the ucp which is how the ndp got elected last time.
    Well Mandel is going to criss cross Alberta, lets see how he's received - I guess some might park their vote with him, I pretty much think he's a lost cause, jmho though
    Lost cause? Explain why please.
    Because to me, he was an okay mayor, but a premier? Nope, no chance.I just heard him talk, and he's trying too hard to sound hip and young, he's not, he's nearly 70. You'll see what I mean when he debates Notley and Kenney, he's out of his league

    .I did say jmho !
    Hmmm

    How old are you?

  29. #129
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I don't think Calgary will vote for Edmonton's former mayor, or the rural areas. The UCP aren't red Tories, not at all. The NDP won't be in power!
    we’ll see about calgary and the rural areas... and you’re right that the ucp aren’t red tories, it’s just that most albertans are probably closer to that than they are to the ucp which is how the ndp got elected last time.
    Well Mandel is going to criss cross Alberta, lets see how he's received - I guess some might park their vote with him, I pretty much think he's a lost cause, jmho though
    Lost cause? Explain why please.
    Because to me, he was an okay mayor, but a premier? Nope, no chance.I just heard him talk, and he's trying too hard to sound hip and young, he's not, he's nearly 70. You'll see what I mean when he debates Notley and Kenney, he's out of his league

    .I did say jmho !
    Hmmm

    How old are you?
    Why, what does that have to do with anything. You like him, you vote for him!

  30. #130
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    asia
    Posts
    2,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    he's trying too hard to sound hip and young, he's not, he's nearly 70. You'll see what I mean when he debates Notley and Kenney, he's out of his league
    Yeah, his humour-meter at times has been decidedly pre-Gen X. Lady Gaga's "Oil C*untry" wasn't the funniest tweet in the world, but he came off like a bit of a prude when, upon being shown that obvious blooper, he pronounced it "disgusting".

    And who can forget his interpreting Chris Selley's "machetes" joke as a slight against Edmonton, when it was clearly a sarcastic jibe at Calgary's sense of superiority.

    And, while it didn't involve humour, his "bed-blockers" gaffe as Health Minister demonstrated a certain tone-deafness.

    That said, I think his best bet is to cultivate a "square hip" sort of image, embrace the dweebiness, so that people expect him not to always be the coolest guy at the party. His image sold in Edmonton for years, so it might world elsewhere too.

  31. #131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    he's trying too hard to sound hip and young, he's not, he's nearly 70. You'll see what I mean when he debates Notley and Kenney, he's out of his league
    Yeah, his humour-meter at times has been decidedly pre-Gen X. Lady Gaga's "Oil C*untry" wasn't the funniest tweet in the world, but he came off like a bit of a prude when, upon being shown that obvious blooper, he pronounced it "disgusting".

    And who can forget his interpreting Chris Selley's "machetes" joke as a slight against Edmonton, when it was clearly a sarcastic jibe at Calgary's sense of superiority.

    And, while it didn't involve humour, his "bed-blockers" gaffe as Health Minister demonstrated a certain tone-deafness.

    That said, I think his best bet is to cultivate a "square hip" sort of image, embrace the dweebiness, so that people expect him not to always be the coolest guy at the party. His image sold in Edmonton for years, so it might world elsewhere too.
    Perhaps Mandel is trying for the "square hip" image, but if that is the case Kenney must be trying for the "square square" image. Kenney seems to come across as 20 years older than he is, so image wise that puts him right around Mandel's age.

  32. #132
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,592

    Default

    How many were in the room when Mandel was announced the leader, 15 plus the volunteers..lol!

  33. #133
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    8,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Even though 2019 is just around the corner I suspect with Mandel at the helm, the Alberta party will be Notley's official opposition. Kenny isn't that well known in Alberta and Mandel obviously is.
    You think Kenney isn't well-known in Alberta? Maybe not as well known as Stephen Harper, but I'd say he's about on par with any other local-boy cabinet minister.

    Mandel is well known in Edmonton, for sure, and I'm guessing most people elsewhere in Alberta would know who he was, but I'd be surprised if he has any sort of a popular following.

    Granted, I don't know much about rural Alberta and how aware they are of Edmonton. That 66% vote-haul might indicate that he's pretty popular, but then, how much of the AP membership is concentrated in Edmonton?
    I'm not sure on the geographic vote here in Alberta but I think Southern Alberta had better voter turnout then Edmonton in 2015. Stephen said his campaign has a lot of work to do for 2019. The UPC has 26 seats. The Alberta Party will take seats away from the UPC in the next election but as I'm processing all of this I think the Alberta party could weaken the UPC's role of official opposition to Notley. That helps the NDP. One thing is certain the landscape in the ledge after the next election will look entirely different. It might depend though on how many seats the Alberta party can take away. As Notley's popularity begins to diminish exponentially, minimum wage increase in October wont help her Government get any closer to that majority status. Rural Alberta still remembers Bill 6, small business still remembers the last minimum wage increase and Parkland county has a sour taste in its mouth over the Keephills coal plants, just to name a few. Its not going to be an easy ride (imo) for the NDP next election. I talk with folks on a daily basis from Taber to Beaverlodge from adults of all ages and there isn't a week that doesn't go by I get someone saying Notley this and Notley that. Voters patience is wearing thin.
    Last edited by envaneo; 28-02-2018 at 12:26 PM.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  34. #134
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    asia
    Posts
    2,492

    Default

    Thanks for sharing your perspective, evaneo. Kind of lines up with my impressions from outside the province.

  35. #135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I don't think Calgary will vote for Edmonton's former mayor, or the rural areas. The UCP aren't red Tories, not at all. The NDP won't be in power!
    we’ll see about calgary and the rural areas... and you’re right that the ucp aren’t red tories, it’s just that most albertans are probably closer to that than they are to the ucp which is how the ndp got elected last time.
    Well Mandel is going to criss cross Alberta, lets see how he's received - I guess some might park their vote with him, I pretty much think he's a lost cause, jmho though
    Lost cause? Explain why please.
    Because to me, he was an okay mayor, but a premier? Nope, no chance.I just heard him talk, and he's trying too hard to sound hip and young, he's not, he's nearly 70. You'll see what I mean when he debates Notley and Kenney, he's out of his league

    .I did say jmho !
    Hmmm

    How old are you?
    Why, what does that have to do with anything. You like him, you vote for him!
    “and he's trying too hard to sound hip and young, he's not, he's nearly 70. ”

    “What does that have to do with anything.”

    Well, it seemed to matter to you, at least in terms of how Mandel sounds. Thus my question. You might be right about seeming hip and young and if that matters he may have troubles and that may be part of other candidate successes, such as Trudeau, but I’d like to think that age works in favour of leaders’ qualifications, and not inexperience. In the US Trump proved that age and how one sounds means little.
    Last edited by KC; 28-02-2018 at 12:57 PM.

  36. #136
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I don't think Calgary will vote for Edmonton's former mayor, or the rural areas. The UCP aren't red Tories, not at all. The NDP won't be in power!
    we’ll see about calgary and the rural areas... and you’re right that the ucp aren’t red tories, it’s just that most albertans are probably closer to that than they are to the ucp which is how the ndp got elected last time.
    Well Mandel is going to criss cross Alberta, lets see how he's received - I guess some might park their vote with him, I pretty much think he's a lost cause, jmho though
    Lost cause? Explain why please.
    Because to me, he was an okay mayor, but a premier? Nope, no chance.I just heard him talk, and he's trying too hard to sound hip and young, he's not, he's nearly 70. You'll see what I mean when he debates Notley and Kenney, he's out of his league

    .I did say jmho !
    Hmmm

    How old are you?
    Why, what does that have to do with anything. You like him, you vote for him!
    “and he's trying too hard to sound hip and young, he's not, he's nearly 70. ”

    “What does that have to do with anything.”

    Well, it seemed to matter to you, at least in terms of how Mandel sounds. Thus my question. You might be right about seeming hip and young and if that matters he may have troubles and that may be part of other candidate successes, such as Trudeau, but I’d like to think that age works in favour of leaders’ qualifications, and not inexperience. In the US Trump proved that age and how one sounds means little.
    When he announced he was running, before he stepped up to the microphone, he did this weird little dance, stop trying so hard would be my advice to him, just be yourself.
    Again, everyone takes potshots at Kenney and Notley, if you think our former mayor will be immune, think again..

  37. #137

    Default

    Can we please stop quoting a hundred posts in each reply?

  38. #138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    With Mandel becoming a leader of Alberta party may have weaken UCP a bit
    If anything it's the opposite. The Alberta Party attracts moderates and leftists more than any right wing people. Mandel's relative popularity will pose a challenge in Edmonton for the NDP. However, though I used to support Mandel as mayor I definitely won't this time. I don't know why the left and moderate left in this province constantly insists on dividing itself.

  39. #139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by River Valley Green View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    With Mandel becoming a leader of Alberta party may have weaken UCP a bit
    If anything it's the opposite. The Alberta Party attracts moderates and leftists more than any right wing people. Mandel's relative popularity will pose a challenge in Edmonton for the NDP. However, though I used to support Mandel as mayor I definitely won't this time. I don't know why the left and moderate left in this province constantly insists on dividing itself.
    “The Alberta Party attracts moderates and leftists more than any right wing people”

    Please provide some proof please.

  40. #140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Can we please stop quoting a hundred posts in each reply?
    When we don’t quote accurately, people immediately start making up comments in their own words about what the other guy supposed said.

  41. #141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by River Valley Green View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    With Mandel becoming a leader of Alberta party may have weaken UCP a bit
    If anything it's the opposite. The Alberta Party attracts moderates and leftists more than any right wing people. Mandel's relative popularity will pose a challenge in Edmonton for the NDP. However, though I used to support Mandel as mayor I definitely won't this time. I don't know why the left and moderate left in this province constantly insists on dividing itself.
    “The Alberta Party attracts moderates and leftists more than any right wing people”

    Please provide some proof please.
    Easy, because the vast vast majority of right wingers despise a carbon tax in any form. Mandel supports a carbon tax. He will not get their votes. That's just one example. In my experience, people who are right wing vote right wing if that option exists. They do not vote moderate or centrist.

  42. #142

    Default

    The Alberta Party is likely to take more centrist leaning NDP members no matter what. Whether the Alberta Party gets to take some of the right wing depends not so much on it, but the United Conservative Party. If the UCP has a very badly timed "lake-of-fire" class moment close to the election, you may see some people shift from the UCP to the Alberta Party.

  43. #143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by River Valley Green View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by River Valley Green View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    With Mandel becoming a leader of Alberta party may have weaken UCP a bit
    If anything it's the opposite. The Alberta Party attracts moderates and leftists more than any right wing people. Mandel's relative popularity will pose a challenge in Edmonton for the NDP. However, though I used to support Mandel as mayor I definitely won't this time. I don't know why the left and moderate left in this province constantly insists on dividing itself.
    “The Alberta Party attracts moderates and leftists more than any right wing people”

    Please provide some proof please.
    Easy, because the vast vast majority of right wingers despise a carbon tax in any form. Mandel supports a carbon tax. He will not get their votes. That's just one example. In my experience, people who are right wing vote right wing if that option exists. They do not vote moderate or centrist.
    That’s all opinion - your opinion. It doesn’t confirm your fact.


    As for the carbon tax:


    Sales tax among issues discussed at first Alberta Party leadership debate | Globalnews.ca

    “Fraser and Mandel also criticized the carbon tax Wednesday, saying it hurts small business and is fundamentally unfair given that middle and low-income earners get rebates to offset the cost of the levy.

    “Certain people pay and other people don’t. I think that sends the wrong message,” said Mandel. “


    https://globalnews.ca/news/3986190/s...ership-debate/
    Last edited by KC; 28-02-2018 at 09:37 PM.

  44. #144
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    8,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Thanks for sharing your perspective, evaneo. Kind of lines up with my impressions from outside the province.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  45. #145
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    8,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    The Alberta Party is likely to take more centrist leaning NDP members no matter what. Whether the Alberta Party gets to take some of the right wing depends not so much on it, but the United Conservative Party. If the UCP has a very badly timed "lake-of-fire" class moment close to the election, you may see some people shift from the UCP to the Alberta Party.
    I think Kenny is well aware of the "lake-of-fire" escaped that crippled Smith's campaign against Redford in 2011. The ghost of Hunsperger etc still haunts the party no matter what name they call themselves.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  46. #146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    The Alberta Party is likely to take more centrist leaning NDP members no matter what. Whether the Alberta Party gets to take some of the right wing depends not so much on it, but the United Conservative Party. If the UCP has a very badly timed "lake-of-fire" class moment close to the election, you may see some people shift from the UCP to the Alberta Party.
    I think Kenny is well aware of the "lake-of-fire" escaped that crippled Smith's campaign against Redford in 2011. The ghost of Hunsperger etc still haunts the party no matter what name they call themselves.
    I agree, Kenny is probably watching his caucus like a hawk. As much as he tries, though, a critical, off the cuff remark can hit at the worst time. Even the leader of the party can run into this as, Maker rest his soul, former Premier Prentice found in relation to his "I know that math is difficult" and "look in mirror" comments.

  47. #147
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,766
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    How many were in the room when Mandel was announced the leader, 15 plus the volunteers..lol!
    About 300, including media. It was a smaller room too.
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

  48. #148
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,766
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Can we please stop quoting a hundred posts in each reply?
    When we don’t quote accurately, people immediately start making up comments in their own words about what the other guy supposed said.
    An idea would be to snip the portion of the quote that gives meaning to your reply...
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

  49. #149
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    How many were in the room when Mandel was announced the leader, 15 plus the volunteers..lol!
    About 300, including media. It was a smaller room too.
    How about that! My girlfriend was there, she like Mandel, but not enough to vote for him,she told me around 200, then less. No matter, only a very small portion actually voted for him..he won't do that well.

  50. #150
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    The Alberta Party is likely to take more centrist leaning NDP members no matter what. Whether the Alberta Party gets to take some of the right wing depends not so much on it, but the United Conservative Party. If the UCP has a very badly timed "lake-of-fire" class moment close to the election, you may see some people shift from the UCP to the Alberta Party.
    I think Kenny is well aware of the "lake-of-fire" escaped that crippled Smith's campaign against Redford in 2011. The ghost of Hunsperger etc still haunts the party no matter what name they call themselves.
    He has beaten every poll, every time they give him x, he takes xyz..the guys good, and yes savvy!

  51. #151
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    8,766

    Default

    ^ I'm sure he is but he's to right wing for me and kind of reminds me of Stockwell Day. I'll pass, thanks.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  52. #152
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    ^ I'm sure he is but he's to right wing for me and kind of reminds me of Stockwell Day. I'll pass, thanks.

    Yeah, I don't find him too right wing. There are things I don't like about him, but that pales in comparison ,to all things Notley and co.

  53. #153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    How many were in the room when Mandel was announced the leader, 15 plus the volunteers..lol!
    About 300, including media. It was a smaller room too.
    How about that! My girlfriend was there, she like Mandel, but not enough to vote for him,she told me around 200, then less. No matter, only a very small portion actually voted for him..he won't do that well.
    He won. Doesn’t that mean the largest portion voted for him?

  54. #154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    The Alberta Party is likely to take more centrist leaning NDP members no matter what. Whether the Alberta Party gets to take some of the right wing depends not so much on it, but the United Conservative Party. If the UCP has a very badly timed "lake-of-fire" class moment close to the election, you may see some people shift from the UCP to the Alberta Party.
    I think Kenny is well aware of the "lake-of-fire" escaped that crippled Smith's campaign against Redford in 2011. The ghost of Hunsperger etc still haunts the party no matter what name they call themselves.
    He has beaten every poll, every time they give him x, he takes xyz..the guys good, and yes savvy!
    When I read Kenny’s Wikipedia article I thought Kenny sounded like a Lake of Fire candidate himself. Just another guy that seems to have been born with political or power aspirations. No real private sector work that I can see but, yes, airy fairy studies. The “true destiny” remark is fascinating!

    Jason Kenney - Wikipedia
    “He went to high school in Wilcox, Saskatchewan, at the Athol Murray College of Notre Dame, a private Catholic high school, known for its hockey team, the Notre Dame Hounds.

    He is also listed as a 1986 alumnus of St. Michaels University School, a notable non-denominational independent school in Victoria, British Columbia.

    He studied philosophy at the University of San Francisco, a Jesuit university in San Francisco, California. During his time in San Francisco, he was interviewed by CNN, for a segment exploring "religious values". In the segment, he was credited as "Jason Kenny - Anti-abortion Activist".[7]. He argued against Jesuit professors, including Rev. John Clarke, who declared free speech essential to a university. Allowing pro-choice activists on campus, Kenney argued in the CNN interview, was "destroying the mission and the purpose of this university."

    He left university without graduating to begin work for the Saskatchewan Liberal Party.[8] He was "very involved in the young Liberals" as a young man, and in 1988 served as executive assistant to Ralph Goodale, who at the time was leader of the party.[9] But as a university student, he says he began "studying political theory, classical political theory" but soon realized it took effort to legitimate his own views so he then quit university to fulfill his true destiny in conservative realpolitik. ...”


    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Kenney
    Bolding mine


    Stephen Mandel - Wikipedia
    “Mandel received an associate of arts degree from Lincoln College in Lincoln, Illinois, a bachelor of science in business administration from Miami University, and his masters in political science from the University of Windsor.

    He moved to Edmonton in 1972 from Windsor, Ontario.[6]

    Mandel owns the Strathcona County’s Lakeland Village mobile home park.[7]

    Mandel was active with promoting the city's arts and festival scene. He is also an active volunteer with the city's local Heart and Stroke Foundation and with several local Jewish organizations.”

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Mandel
    Last edited by KC; 01-03-2018 at 06:49 AM.

  55. #155
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    4,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Even the leader of the party can run into this as, Maker rest his soul, former Premier Prentice found in relation to his "I know that math is difficult" and "look in mirror" comments.
    Yeah, Top_Dawg still giggles at how that all panned out.

    Prentice.

    The beeg shot.

    Remember when they had that convention where he was basically coronated leader.

    And 'course about two thousand of the ol' PC baglickers, dingleberries, and chin strap dildos all desperate to be seen tonguing his anus.

    It was ' Jim this ' and ' Jim that ' and ' look what Jim can do ' .

    Yeah look what he did.

    Drove a forty year political dynasty off a cliff.



    Just hilarious.

  56. #156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by River Valley Green View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by River Valley Green View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    With Mandel becoming a leader of Alberta party may have weaken UCP a bit
    If anything it's the opposite. The Alberta Party attracts moderates and leftists more than any right wing people. Mandel's relative popularity will pose a challenge in Edmonton for the NDP. However, though I used to support Mandel as mayor I definitely won't this time. I don't know why the left and moderate left in this province constantly insists on dividing itself.
    “The Alberta Party attracts moderates and leftists more than any right wing people”

    Please provide some proof please.
    Easy, because the vast vast majority of right wingers despise a carbon tax in any form. Mandel supports a carbon tax. He will not get their votes. That's just one example. In my experience, people who are right wing vote right wing if that option exists. They do not vote moderate or centrist.
    That’s all opinion - your opinion. It doesn’t confirm your fact.


    As for the carbon tax:


    Sales tax among issues discussed at first Alberta Party leadership debate | Globalnews.ca

    “Fraser and Mandel also criticized the carbon tax Wednesday, saying it hurts small business and is fundamentally unfair given that middle and low-income earners get rebates to offset the cost of the levy.

    “Certain people pay and other people don’t. I think that sends the wrong message,” said Mandel. “


    https://globalnews.ca/news/3986190/s...ership-debate/
    Actually, there are some conservative commentators that support a carbon tax. Manitoba's PC government recently put in a carbon tax, as did BC years ago before the NDP won.

    However, its really a meaningless provincial debate now as the current carbon tax plan is a federal plan, meaning if a province drops out the provincial tax will be replaced by a federal one of the same amount or more. I hope Kenney is not trying to dupe people into thinking that getting rid of the provincial one will save people money - it will not. If he is saying that it is a lie.

  57. #157
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,592

    Default

    I think this who carbon tax grab, is going to have to be thought over. Ontario, should the PCs get in, don't want that tax either! Let's see how JT does without mummy Wynne

  58. #158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I think this who carbon tax grab, is going to have to be thought over. Ontario, should the PCs get in, don't want that tax either! Let's see how JT does without mummy Wynne
    I'm not so sure they will get in. Someone in their party knifed their previous leader in the back and I don't think whoever they pick next will get treated much better.

    They seem to have flip flopped on their carbon tax, which was how the previous leader was going to pay for all their promises. They now have an election platform they can't pay for, so Ontario will probably have to go back into deficits. Wynne now has a surplus. She is going to have a lot of fun campaigning against the PC deficits. Of course the Alberta PC's and the Federal Conservatives had a lot of deficits too in the past, so its a bit of myth that conservatives are so fiscally responsible.

  59. #159
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    8,766

    Default

    I remember fundraising for Tim Hudak's campaign back in 2011. Who-dat Hudak was the mantra at the time. I liked him but the Ontario voters were kind of sour on him. Today Tim is CEO of the Ontario Real Estate Association. He's probably grateful to be away from the scandal at Queens park.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  60. #160
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I think this who carbon tax grab, is going to have to be thought over. Ontario, should the PCs get in, don't want that tax either! Let's see how JT does without mummy Wynne
    I'm not so sure they will get in. Someone in their party knifed their previous leader in the back and I don't think whoever they pick next will get treated much better.

    They seem to have flip flopped on their carbon tax, which was how the previous leader was going to pay for all their promises. They now have an election platform they can't pay for, so Ontario will probably have to go back into deficits. Wynne now has a surplus. She is going to have a lot of fun campaigning against the PC deficits. Of course the Alberta PC's and the Federal Conservatives had a lot of deficits too in the past, so its a bit of myth that conservatives are so fiscally responsible.
    We'll see

  61. #161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    The Alberta Party is likely to take more centrist leaning NDP members no matter what. Whether the Alberta Party gets to take some of the right wing depends not so much on it, but the United Conservative Party. If the UCP has a very badly timed "lake-of-fire" class moment close to the election, you may see some people shift from the UCP to the Alberta Party.
    I think Kenny is well aware of the "lake-of-fire" escaped that crippled Smith's campaign against Redford in 2011. The ghost of Hunsperger etc still haunts the party no matter what name they call themselves.
    He has beaten every poll, every time they give him x, he takes xyz..the guys good, and yes savvy!

    This is BS


    Jason Kenney
    Jason Kenney
    @jkenney

    Wise words from @PrabbGill, on those who seem to view Albertans that weren't fortunate enough to be born here as 'lesser Albertans.' Alberta is the land of hope and opportunity, and we're fortunate that so many have chosen to make Alberta their home. #ableg #UCP

    https://mobile.twitter.com/jkenney/s...35344410574848

    Not “lesser”, maybe just not as loyal, long-term or as likely to stay. A whole lot of people here are just here to make good money or for the “opportunity” until they can move somewhere else. Watch any interview with Newfoundlanders etc working in the oil patch and odds are that they plan to move back or to retire somewhere else. Many do though decide to stay and raise families here after they have stayed a while. Nonetheless, a whole lot of workers that lost their jobs in downturns have NOT stayed to tough it out, but instead have moved on.

    I just watched Amazing Race - Canada and one of the winners was saying how he’s ‘never going back to work on the rigs ...’

    Moreover often those that were born here may be looked down on by some of those that move here from places like Toronto, Ottawa, Vancouver, etc.
    Last edited by KC; 13-03-2018 at 09:47 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •