Thread: Alberta Personal Health Card

Default Alberta Personal Health Card

But, but, but... here in Alberta we embrace, no, we demand “accountability” - so if you look at the costs of the department / section responsible for producing the card they probably look like cost-cutting, waste eliminating “all stars”. Why spend money to benefit some other department and maybe get fired or your career ruined by causing costs to rise. Change is bad!...

The Alberta Personal Health Card is a blight on everything that makes Alberta great | National Post

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...-alberta-great

It is rather a cheap and shabby document. Would definitely not survive a swish in the washing machine. Wonder if Ms. Hoffman will step up and get us a decent card.
    What, an extra 10 cents to laminate it. Be worth it as I should imagine there are a lot that have to be replaced throughout the year.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I had mine laminated , staples.

^Did not know they did that. Will maybe get mine done next time I'm in there.

Yeah, my wife had her card laminated a long time ago, and I didn't bother. It got a little dog-eared, but it wasn't that bad. We ended up buying a laminator for all the training course cards she has for work. They usually just print you off a cheap card, or you do it yourself for some online courses. I just laminated the old, slightly bent card I had then. Fits in my wallet fine, but I have a slightly larger spot for it, it wouldn't fit in the little slots that hold a credit card.

That was the obvious thought when I received mine. Got it laminated at a copy shop - that was years ago.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

The whole point of the article is why should the user (me) be responsible to laminate the cheap paper Alberta Health Card?

Why doesn't the government issue a card that would last longer than your plumber's business card?

I kept mine in an ETS bus pass protective plastic sleeve. The paper holds up fine but eventually the ink with the vital info gets smudged.

Have a relative that likes to laminate stuff all most to the point of it being an obsession. I'm sure he would laminate his cash if he could. Anyway, there was one document and I cannot remember what it was that he laminated. He had to produce said document to someone one day. In very small letters at the bottom of the document it read 'Not valid if laminated'. For the life of me I cannot remember what document it was but I'm sure it was government issued. Anyway, cured him of his laminating obsession. Now he's into scanning everything.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Alberta health numbers should be on your Alberta Govt. I.D.in bold 0000.00000 just under where its says "Identification card"
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Just key the number and save a photo of it to your phone’s notes app

I never thought of forging the current paper card, but yup super easy to forge and duplicate giving non-residents access to the system. Yup it should be plastic, with a picture, laser etching, holograms, perhaps with an chip on it with the patients medical file on it (encrypted of course) or a barcode or QR code linking to the medical file.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The BC Gov has the same kind of flimsy paper for its birth certificates. I don't know about a SIN card. I haven't had one since the 70's but I have my sin # memorized and written down. As far barcodes there is one on the Alberta identification card. You get them at the Alberta Registry. With the I.D card it has your health # on it already. You need your health # before you can get a Alberta Gov. I.D card. They are $60 for 5 years. Men aren't supposed to smile when the photo is taken but women can, it seems.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

As an aside, at most Alberta Registry they have commissioners of oaths on premises as well, which is handy.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    That's all very well but not every one carries a cell phone and not everyone who carries a cell phone uses it for notes. On doing that your just adding another step to the process. Chances are medical personnel will want the original document. Let's face it. The paper AHS document is shabby. It's about time the replaced it with a sturdier alternative. One less likely to get abused.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    The BC Gov has the same kind of flimsy paper for its birth certificates. I don't know about a SIN card. I haven't had one since the 70's but I have my sin # memorized and written down. As far barcodes there is one on the Alberta identification card. You get them at the Alberta Registry. With the I.D card it has your health # on it already. You need your health # before you can get a Alberta Gov. I.D card. They are $60 for 5 years. Men aren't supposed to smile when the photo is taken but women can, it seems.
    I think things like Birth Certificates cannot be laminated. Sometimes a document has to be shown untouched. By untouched also means not laminated.
    When you think about it there are a lot of paper documents that are wide open for forgeries.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    That's all very well but not every one carries a cell phone and not everyone who carries a cell phone uses it for notes. On doing that your just adding another step to the process. Chances are medical personnel will want the original document. Let's face it. The paper AHS document is shabby. It's about time the replaced it with a sturdier alternative. One less likely to get abused.
    Agree. I can’t immediately recall ever getting a replacement so that would make mine several decades old and it seems that it has been very fragile almost as long (I sandwich it between cards and slide them into a plastic sleeve. In other words I cope. I use my notes app for a lot of things too.

(As an aside, I wish the vehicle insurance and registration docs were card sized.)

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I think things like Birth Certificates cannot be laminated. Sometimes a document has to be shown untouched. By untouched also means not laminated.
    When you think about it there are a lot of paper documents that are wide open for forgeries.
    The trouble with that is documents gather artifacts on them like fingerprints, storage damage, wear and tear from owner producing them all the time. Sounds more like a cash cow because by not laminating documents like these gives the owner a greater chance of having to replace them more so if they were able to laminate them. I had to replace my BC birth cert back in 1997 but its in a plastic cover with AG I.D and only removed once or twice evert so often.

I have a Birth Certificate that's laminated, one my Mom gave me decades ago. It's the only one I've ever had. It's too big to fit in a wallet well, and it's not a card that needs to be to carried around.

I also redneck-laminated my Health Care card with clear packing tape. It's never been questioned.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

SIN is just a plain letter sized copy paper now - not even fancy with a nice letterhead or anything.

AH - Alberta Health document, not AHS just to be clear.

Correct - old Birth Certificates cannot be laminated.

New Birth Certificates now are polymer and you can't actually get a wallet size - it's about a 5X7 size.

A few years back in Alberta a person could get a small wallet size birth certificate along with the bigger one. The small ones could be laminated but I don't think you could laminate the big one. In fact I think it may say 'not valid if laminated' on it.
    I remember an older guy I knew had a SIN card that was metal. He said some guy used to do that at a flea market somewhere.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Apparently health care numbers are not on Alberta Government I.D. cards as I was lead to believe.

^^ I remember having a white credit card sized SIN card with red lettering, when i first got mine 1970 i think