Thread: Beaumaris Lake | Redesign

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Beaumaris Lake | Redesign

City shares concepts for reimagined Beaumaris Lake

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...beaumaris-lake

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I went to the open house yesterday. It was pretty much entirely geriatrics complaining about them damn kids on bicycles and skateboards. Luckily when I talked to the Stantec folks they assured me they know the actual users are young and they're politely nodding their heads at the senile whiners. Designs look good. My only real beef is there won't be enough space for food trucks on the promenade, which they were very interested in trying to accommodate.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Continued Contributor

^When stuff like that happens though, what's the point of doing public engagement at all?

It's so they can check off a box on the to do list for this project.

And so people can, in 10 years when it turns out terribly, go "Where were you at the public consultation? It's totally not the City's fault that this turned out how it did!" like the civic apologists that they are.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

We live in a participation trophy world. Everyone needs to have their voice heard, even if they have no idea wtf they're talking about. I chuckled to myself when I saw a bunch of comments like "fix the paths", as if it wasn't a basic part of the plan to begin with.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Continued Contributor

It really bugs me, because even if most people at a public engagement are unreasonable, often times they can have reasonable concerns, or bring up issues that non-residents of the area might not know, and have ideas that are much more informed about the area. It may be a case of sorting through the *****, but it shouldn't be completely dismissed like that.