Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joint Calgary / Edmonton / Whistler Winter Olympics?

Default Joint Calgary / Edmonton / Whistler Winter Olympics?

Interesting comment in this article that Calgary Olympic bid is thinking of using the Arena in Edmonton, and the ski jump in Whistler to try and manage the crazy cost of hosting a Winter Olympics today:

http://dailyhive.com/calgary/calgary...-november-2017

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

No, just no.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

If Alberta gets this again you know we're all going to be on the hook for this.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Long Term Contributor

If it's just billed as a Calgary Olympics then no way. Last thing we need is Rogers Place being associated with Calgary instead of Edmonton on an international stage. Besides, an Olympics win will be a bigger catalyst for a new arena in Calgary than the Flames' owners so I doubt it will be needed.
    ďYou have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.Ē - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

how does Whistler make any sense at all in this? There's a ski jump that could easily be re-used in Calgary.

This is just silly.

Even sharing between Edmonton and Calgary is a bit odd, without a high speed link between the two... and no, the olympics is not a good reason to built a 20-40 billion dollar white elephant.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    If Alberta gets this again you know we're all going to be on the hook for this.
    This would cost Edmontonians even if only Calgary gets the Olympics. Provincial and Federal subsidies and any debt would be spread across Canadian taxpayers.
    On Calgary's Olympic bid, economists say run away — fast
    "How do I put it succinctly, other than 'Nooooo'?"
    http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...-run-away-fast
    Excerpts
    Earlier this year, the Calgary Bid Exploration Committee released a report suggesting the Games could increase GDP over the course of the next nine years by between $2.21 billion and $2.66 billion; that it could create 27,000 person-years of employment and generate $515 million in tax revenue. The report also predicted another $2.19 billion in revenue thanks to ticketing, merchandising, sponsorship and contributions from the International Olympics Committee.

Of course, the Games would cost $4.6 billion to host, which raises the question of whether it would be comparably more prudent to throw a few billion from an airplane over the Calgary area.

Moshe Lander, a sports economics professor at Concordia University in Montreal, said the economics just don’t justify the bid.

“How do I put it succinctly, other than ‘Nooooo’?” he said.

“The Olympics don’t make money. The only Olympics that made money were the 1984 Los Angeles Games … and that was because they branded everything so much that they were jokingly referred to as the McDonald’s Games.”

- The Games lose money. They overstate the benefits and understate the costs
    - Calgary would need a new hockey arena — which would hand Flames owners extraordinary leverage in its negotiations with the city.
    - The strictly economic answer is quite simple: If there is no business case for conducting these improvements without the Olympics, then the Olympics alone don’t make for a very good business case.
    - Picture concrete barriers, a no-go downtown zone and more than two weeks of lost productivity as the city converts to a high-security lockdown.
    - “Nobody wants the games anymore. The only places that want them are non-democratic countries that don’t care if the taxpayer is going to be fleeced for the cash.
    - “It’s a bunch of professional athletes roided up who are basically representing their country in a very high stakes game of war dressed up as sports,”

That doesn’t mean the Olympics wouldn’t be a wild party, he adds. But “that’s an expensive way to lift spirits.”
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

No,no no, no,

and NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Why not?

"The final tally of the cost for the Olympics was $1.6bn, a more than 13-fold increase, including at least $1.1bn for the stadium alone. In popular lore, the Big O had officially become the Big Owe. When all was said and done, the city was left with debt that took 30 years to pay off."

The 40-year hangover: how the 1976 Olympics nearly broke Montreal
    The Montreal Olympics left the city with a C$1.6bn debt, a string of corruption scandals, and a creeping sense of economic and social decline. Forty years on, how did the city survive?
    https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...ontreal-canada

After clinching the 1976 Olympics, the mayor of Montreal at the time, Jean Drapeau, boasted the Games would be the first auto-financed Olympics.
    "The Montreal Olympics can no more have a deficit, than a man can have a baby," he said, a prediction that would haunt him, as construction costs ballooned and sent the final price tag into the stratosphere.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 22-11-2017 at 08:54 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    how does Whistler make any sense at all in this? There's a ski jump that could easily be re-used in Calgary.

This is just silly.

Even sharing between Edmonton and Calgary is a bit odd, without a high speed link between the two... and no, the olympics is not a good reason to built a 20-40 billion dollar white elephant.
    The Calgary ski jump is too small. In 1988 the regulation heights were 70 m and 90 m, now they are 90 m and 120 m.

so build a 120m one. Still likely cheaper than some sort of transportation link between Whistler and Calgary.

Nothing about this bid makes sense. The only reason Edmonton and Whistler are being added is to make it seem like the debt can be shared by more than one city.

Not interested. Money pit.
    Legacy facilities not worth it for the general population.
    Definitely not worth it for the rest of Alberta outside Calgary who would bare the majority of cost.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Most likely they would get a good chunk of investment from "the Province."

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

All the things that need funding right now this is the last thing we need.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Why not?

"The final tally of the cost for the Olympics was $1.6bn, a more than 13-fold increase, including at least $1.1bn for the stadium alone. In popular lore, the Big O had officially become the Big Owe. When all was said and done, the city was left with debt that took 30 years to pay off."
    Could we compare to something more recent, relevant and comparable - such as 2010 Vancouver? (even Calgary 88 is more relevant given that it was a winter games) Granted, I don't know what the numbers are, and definitely question if it would be worth it... I just think it's dumb when people talk about the Montreal Summer Olympics as an example of why to avoid the Winter Olympics when there have been two more recent games in Canada.

I actually think co-hosting might be the way to go in order for the Olympics to start making financial sense, and likely the only way the Olympics continue in the future. For example, the Winter Olympics need two arenas if I recall. A joint bid means each city can provide one. I think the idea is to try and avoid spending billions on facilities that are really only used for two weeks, and a focus on trying to use what is currently there.

With that being said I would definitely be against Edmonton being involved unless we were clearly co-branded.

Then read the link in post #6

Quote Originally Posted by christopherj View Post
    Could we compare to something more recent, relevant and comparable - such as 2010 Vancouver?
    2010 broke even on an operational basis.
    That doesn't include the 3Bil in capital costs to expand the convention centre and build the Canada Line to the airport. They argue those were capital investments that the city would have had to make at some point anyways.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...says-1.2695994

C2E SME

That's really the only argument you can make in favor of the Olympics financially, is that the host city can siphon off enough money from the provincial and federal governments to make it worthwhile. Otherwise, it's just a giant money trough for the mercenaries at the IOC to feed at.

No thanks.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    No,no no, no,

what's the world coming to - first i ended up agreeing completely with one of moa's posts and now i find myself agreeing completely with one of yours, both in the same week. next thing you know i'll be agreeing with IanO..
    Last edited by kcantor; 23-11-2017 at 05:03 PM.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    No,no no, no,

what's the world coming to - first i ended up agreeing completely with one of moa's posts and now i find myself agreeing completely with one of yours, both in the same week. next thing you know i'll be agreeing with IanO..
    I know some events are often not held in the host city, but nearby like skiing, but this seems like a stretch. Whistler, really? Why not throw in Toronto for something and try get some $ from Ontario too and make it three provinces?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Why Whistler with Banff, Lake Louise, Canmore, etc etc etc nearby?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Maybe after kooky Kim Jong-un nukes out the Seoul games they won't have anymore.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 25-11-2017 at 02:16 PM.

The Olympics sure did wonders for Greece and Brazil. The Olympics are the most vulgar form of misallocated capital out there. My friend dragged me to the world track and field championships in 2001...I was wondering why all the girls/ladies who eat perfect diets and train every day had acne scars all over their shoulders?
    The Olympics are running out of suckers, whenever an enlightened city wants to host this spectacle, most intelligent people email their politicians and voice their opposition...and I will be one of them.

You are right, and I think the IOC will realize that too.

But, but... how is Calgary going to get Canada to pay for their infrastructure?

C2E Posting Power

They only mention hosting the ski jump in Whistler as they are very expensive to build and get little use after the games. Seems reasonable no(not commenting on hosting just using old venues)?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Why can't the IOC say these are the jumps we have in Calgary so we will use them and these are the jumps we will be making. Do some work on the jumps we have and adjust the jumping to make due with what we have. All athletes and countries will be on the same playing field. Why does it always have to be exactly this or exactly that.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Why Whistler with Banff, Lake Louise, Canmore, etc etc etc nearby?
    probably so they can try and suck in money from another province. maybe while theyíre at it they should look at spreading out some of the cross country events to regina and saskatoon and winnipeg and pull in three more cities and two more provincial governments to send money to calgary...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Calgary has become a panhandler.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Why not?

The 40-year hangover: how the 1976 Olympics nearly broke Montreal
    The Montreal Olympics left the city with a C$1.6bn debt, a string of corruption scandals, and a creeping sense of economic and social decline. Forty years on, how did the city survive?
    https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...ontreal-canada

After clinching the 1976 Olympics, the mayor of Montreal at the time, Jean Drapeau, boasted the Games would be the first auto-financed Olympics.
    "The Montreal Olympics can no more have a deficit, than a man can have a baby," he said, a prediction that would haunt him, as construction costs ballooned and sent the final price tag into the stratosphere.

Good find... lol

Why can't the IOC say these are the jumps we have in Calgary so we will use them and these are the jumps we will be making. Do some work on the jumps we have and adjust the jumping to make due with what we have. All athletes and countries will be on the same playing field. Why does it always have to be exactly this or exactly that.
    So tell all the athletes to change their sport? Also the large jump (which would be the small jump nowdays) at COP is inoperable. It’s much cheaper just use the jumps that are already built to specification in Whistler, there is no need for two facilities in Canada for what is a niche sport. The IOC is saying they are going to allow such, to keep costs down. Basically the plan would be to use whatever facilities are available and ready to go, when possible, like the cross country facility which is in Canmore. That’s where the Arena in Edmonton or another City might be required as well, even if Calgary gets a new arena, as supposedly two NHL type arenas are required now.

It seems nobody else has announced a bid for 2026. The costs are too high and the IOC is not sharing enough of the broadcast revenues. That might change though if nobody else bids. I seem to remember the big cost blow out in Vancouver that fell on the Federal government was security, I don’t know what that will be like in 2026. I’ve got the feeling this idea will die, there is just too much corruption in the sport, it’s best if it just stays in communist countries where officials can enrich themselves getting kickbacks from the government contractors (then buy property around the world...).
    Last edited by moahunter; 26-11-2017 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    If it's just billed as a Calgary Olympics then no way. Last thing we need is Rogers Place being associated with Calgary instead of Edmonton on an international stage.
    Let’s say a second arena is needed for figure skating / short track skating. Why would it hurt Edmonton to host those evens instead of Winnipeg? It wouldn’t - it would bring in spectators / tourists and all the support staff and families of the competitors who would come for the event - it would pack all the hotels in town for a couple of weeks. The UofA or similar might be able to build another Halls of Residence using the funding to host the those athletes. If Rogers place somehow got associated with figure skating because of that (unlikely - I have no idea which venues were used in the Vancouver Olympics), how would that be bad?
    Last edited by moahunter; 26-11-2017 at 11:27 PM.

One idea that has been proposed is that Olympics should always be at the same venues. It would be Athens for summer Olympics (not sure Winter - probably somewhere in Europe). Of course, IOC would hate that - no more wining and dining and bribes, but those days seem over anyway now few cities are bidding. All the facilities could be built up and maintained much cheaper than new cities having to build all the time.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...t-host/494264/
    Last edited by moahunter; 26-11-2017 at 11:22 PM.

There is always the rink in New Sarepta...

..not. Just say NO to any idea of the Olympics.

If it was such a good idea, companies like Google are welcome to host them on their campus on their dime, not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    One idea that has been proposed is that Olympics should always be at the same venues.
    I like it.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

From the Globe and Mail....."Calgary’s pitch for a combined Alberta-B.C. Olympic bid seen as the only option"
    "Calgary 2026 also wants to involve Edmonton as much as possible to ensure the Olympic bid draws full financial support from the provincial government.
    “Once upon a time, I don’t think Edmonton would have wanted to help Calgary. At one point in time, Calgary wouldn’t have hosted a Games if it had to rely on Edmonton,” said University of Alberta professor Dan Mason, who consulted for the City of Edmonton in its negotiations to construct Rogers Place arena in the downtown core.
    “If [Calgary] wants to have the Games, if the only way we can have the Games is to partner with Whistler and Edmonton, then I think the business and political leaders would be willing to do that.”"

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...d-seen-as-the/
    posts randomly and infrequently

This is what i was hoping for to begin with; great news as far as im concern. It makes no sense for Calgary to be alone as we can use this to spring launch a Westren Canada bennifit in all forms. We have so much resources and potential by products that are the same or similiar, so it is pragmatic to share the advertisement/ hosting costs. Win win win if you ask me.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

There's a list of about 1,001 other things that would be a better use of $4.6 billion rather than the Olympics. Let us hope Calgary city council do the right thing on September 10 and kill the process. Barring that, let us hope they proceed with the November plebscite and the good people of Calgary send a strong message of "no".

OK I realize there is the talk about decentralizing the Olympics by having certain events remain in certain global locations where it would make most sense and an established local fanbase would make for a truly engaged audience and bums in seats (ie Fencing always happens in France or Italy). But while it may make sense when stitched together for tv/streaming, having many events spread over the geographical area of Western Canada would make for a different experience.

And if the bid goes ahead and all of Alberta is shelling out for it, I've got some decentralization for you: Calgary hosts Opening and Closing ceremonies... and Edmonton gets Gold Medal Hockey.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. óMarshall McLuhan

Calgary city council voted 12-3 to proceed with the plebiscite on November 13.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4442399/c...ebiscite-12-3/

Olympic bid documents are now online. Revised cost estimate $5.3B of which $3B comes directly from public funding.

https://www.calgary2026.ca/

No mention of Edmonton--except to say that it's three hours away and that curling is listed as "To Be Determined."

C2E SME

I still think this would be a colossal waste of taxpayer dollars. But one saving grace is that they have kept the National Parks out of the picture in terms of event venues. Banff is already over stressed as it is, and even the spillover from the Olympics is going to have a detrimental affect. But at least they aren't trying to slam a bunch of further development in to it.

Calgary is trying to spend the political capital of Edmonton and Whistler while reaping all the rewards. We should oppose this unless it is made as a joint bid with equal partnership and exposure.

The Calgary Olympic bid seems to be taking its last breaths. Let us hope it is allowed to die in peace.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ipal-1.4883801
    Chair of Calgary Olympic committee recommends pulling plug on 2026 bid

The chair of the City of Calgary's Olympic assessment committee has recommended to council that it end its pursuit of the 2026 Winter Games and cancel a scheduled plebiscite.

Coun. Evan Woolley said Tuesday it doesn't make sense to move forward without a funding agreement in place between municipal, provincial and federal levels of government ó something they haven't been able to forge amid public spats on the weekend and a marathon negotiation session Monday.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Any Calgary olympic bid will put Edmonton in its shadow. And AG want's to put $700 million into this piece of crap?

C2E SME

Global News said that there's a tentative funding arrangement.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

This is Government waste when at a time the Alberta Government is billions in dept. The NDP at work.

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

This is Government waste when at a time the Alberta Government is billions in dept. The NDP at work.
    Yes I am disappointed that the provincial and fed governments don't have the courage to just say no to an obvious waste of taxpayer money. But kudos to Calgary organzers for getting this far as I predicted they would, they are a sophisticated bunch. Edmonton could learn from there never say die strategy. Expect the bid to go forward to plebiscite as they need 10 out of 15 councillors to vote no. Our only hope is that the people of Calgary who are opposed to this come out and vote on Nov. 13.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ched-1.4885230

“We were able to find some efficiencies in the budget”

What! Where were they before?

This is BS! We can't afford it, hopefully the plebiscite will show this!
    the IOC always ask for more

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    “We were able to find some efficiencies in the budget”

What! Where were they before?
    From RinkRat at Calgary Puck forum "I get a kick out of the creative accounting going on here, they trimmed down the security budget to less then half of what the Vancouver games were in 2010, and less then what they spent on a 2 day summit this year in Quebec which was 700 million. Security in 2010 was over a billion when it was all said and done."

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    This is BS! We can't afford it, hopefully the plebiscite will show this!
    the IOC always ask for more
    “We can’t afford it.”

That’s never an honest answer. I’m afraid we can.

Funnels or captures taxpayer money from the two levels above. Just like the funicular-grand staircase project did for Edmonton. It’s not market driven private sector money - the local private sector companies and workers get the massive transfer of benefits while the governments get blamed for high taxes by those very same beneficiaries.

Opinion: 2026 Olympic bid is Calgary’s best opportunity – Calgary Herald

“Quite simply, this is the best opportunity we have in front of us from an economic and cultural standpoint.

Hosting the 2026 Games in Calgary would inject $4.4 billion into the local economy and present the greatest opportunity to nation-build, and create a great community for the future.”

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...st-opportunity
    Last edited by KC; 31-10-2018 at 09:18 AM.

No, we bloody well cannot Seriously, that money can do so many things, than pander to the crooked IOC!

Why does Calgary need an olympics everytime it slides in a massive recession?

C2E Posting Power

Tune in to Calgary city council live meeting... all your questions will be answered... lol!

http://www.calgary.ca/CA/city-clerks...-webcasts.aspx

C2E Posting Power

Why wouldn't they consider a billion dollar investment from the feds.... 700 million from the province.... and the rest from the city? On the surface it seems like a great deal for Calgarians. The thing that they should be worried about is if they are on the hook for any cost overruns which we will all know there will be. I am sure though that the new Conservative government will be happy to help them out though as a thanks for putting them in power after next election.

But of course there was no money available for Edmonton's new arena, for the world's fair bid...

C2E Posting Power

They are just now saying that for a 13% investment they will get 4.4 Billion dollar return. Job building, reputation building. Puts Calgary back on the back on the map. Vancouver generated 1 billion advertising revenue from their games. They are planning a massive campaign between now and plebiscite day. Wow watching this is something to behold.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

All of these think tank figures are maybes. Just because a happy accident worked in Vancouver doesn't mean it'll work in Alberta. This just goes to show that the AG is out to lunch and out of touch. Did we not learn anything from fading embers of Alison Redfords Government?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Stop this madness!!!!!

We have to pay for it, Edmonton gets nothing. No curling, no soccer,but sure, let's go into even more debt..

I'm not a fan of these big sporting events either. However, Calgary got nothing from the Commonwealth Games, Universiade, World Track & Field, etc. Edmonton not getting something from a Calgary bid is no reason to oppose it. There's plenty of others reason to do so.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

November 13 Calgarians get to vote.

November 13 Calgarians get to vote.
    Good!

A majority of Calgary city councillors voted to kill the bid. But not enough of a majority to actually kill the bid.

What a mess

Hopefully Calgary voters will send a clear "no" message.

C2E SME

I hope that the province comes up with a little money to help with the World Cup in 2026.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    I'm not a fan of these big sporting events either. However, Calgary got nothing from the Commonwealth Games, Universiade, World Track & Field, etc. Edmonton not getting something from a Calgary bid is no reason to oppose it. There's plenty of others reason to do so.
    The 88 games were huge for Calgary. Can't really compare the scope of those games with the other ones you have mentioned. There is not doubt that there is benefit to be obtained by hosting the games... but the question is at what cost and to whom?

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by OffWhyte View Post
    A majority of Calgary city councillors voted to kill the bid. But not enough of a majority to actually kill the bid.

What a mess

The yes organizers are going into high gear now. Watch and learn as the well-oiled machine goes to work. I too hope that it fails but I am amazed at the tenacity and resilience of the yes team. Reading the newspapers and watching the TV you would never know how much opposition to this there is. All carefully orchestrated and well though out. I was amazed watching them on Calgary city council today... almost had me convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by OffWhyte View Post

What a mess

I didn't see that many on the news that were outside wanting a yes vote..I guess we will see, I think many in calgary are very tax weary ..

As long as it is their tax money. Does anyone know if the Federal allotment was given based on the notion that Whistler and Edmonton were initially included? We are still paying for 2010 and here we go again...

Quote Originally Posted by edTel View Post
    The 88 games were huge for Calgary. Can't really compare the scope of those games with the other ones you have mentioned. There is not doubt that there is benefit to be obtained by hosting the games... but the question is at what cost and to whom?
    Commonwealth Games were huge for Edmonton, 10 years before the Olympics.

The point is that H.L. is opposed to the 2026 games because Edmonton doesn't get anything out of them.

We have to pay for it, Edmonton gets nothing. No curling, no soccer,but sure, let's go into even more debt..
    Calgary helped pay for the events in Edmonton and they didn't host any of them. By the same token, people can't advocate for government funding for the World Cup bid and complain that they are offering to fund the Olympics.

The huge international sport events are always touted as having huge economic spin offs that always fail to pan out. And the bigger they get, the bigger the budget, the smaller the benefit since more money is needed to pay for them for limited effect.

I'd be in favour of a permanent site for the Olympics, most likely in Greece. Let all to countries contribute to putting them on and you wouldn't need to build new facilities every four years. More money then available for amateur sports.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Yes but itís a lot of jobs too. From tradesman to security people, food industries, souvenirs, just about everyone benefits. Housing built is later used for low cost housing etc, as well as venues being very well used for many years. Itís a great shot in the arm for a community. Hey if the feds are paying half......

I don't know Drum, many from Calgary , I read online are thinking long term, and aren't liking what could be more debt.. On top of what the feds and the NDP have piled on us. The money from the feds is their money, its not manna from heaven..

C2E SME

The one worry I have is the cost of security.

Yes but it’s a lot of jobs too. From tradesman to security people, food industries, souvenirs, just about everyone benefits. Housing built is later used for low cost housing etc, as well as venues being very well used for many years. It’s a great shot in the arm for a community. Hey if the feds are paying half......
    You could build a lot of low income housing, putting those tradesmen to work, build various venues, etc without actually putting on the games and still save a ton of money.

Building necessary infrastructure should be done regardless of hosting a 10 day international event. And the games only happen every four years or every two if you count summer and winter. That's 50 host cities per century. Surely all the others must come up with a way to build venues and housing without hosting the games.

That I agree with you. Olympics are so outdated as far as I'm concern. We are too in debt by all three levels of government for Calgary to even entertain this thought. I'm surprised the federal didn't turn it down considering our Expose bid was quashed. That was 10 years ago with a lesser accrued debt overall than today. The same people in Calgary - most likely endorsing the unions attack add on NDP - complaining about how our debts have climbed, yet they illustrated they want to contribute to that tax debt to Albertans.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Yes but it’s a lot of jobs too. From tradesman to security people, food industries, souvenirs, just about everyone benefits. Housing built is later used for low cost housing etc, as well as venues being very well used for many years. It’s a great shot in the arm for a community. Hey if the feds are paying half......
    You could build a lot of low income housing, putting those tradesmen to work, build various venues, etc without actually putting on the games and still save a ton of money.

Building necessary infrastructure should be done regardless of hosting a 10 day international event. And the games only happen every four years or every two if you count summer and winter. That's 50 host cities per century. Surely all the others must come up with a way to build venues and housing without hosting the games.
    You have an uncanny ability to turn any bit of a positive into a negative. Where did you learn to do that? Battered child? lol

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I don't know Drum, many from Calgary , I read online are thinking long term, and aren't liking what could be more debt.. On top of what the feds and the NDP have piled on us. The money from the feds is their money, its not manna from heaven..
    Ya but itís money that would otherwise go to Quebec

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

But but itís a party atmosphere in a depressed society!

Ya but itís money that would otherwise go to Quebec
    It's in the hands of Calgary now. Let's see what they think.
    I mean 2026? Its a long way off, and even bidding for it is costly.

You have an uncanny ability to turn any bit of a positive into a negative. Where did you learn to do that? Battered child? lol
    Ignoring a one shot, 10 day event and instead spending the money on more infrastructure that would create long term jobs and housing is a negative?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Yes but the feds and the province wonít hand over money for that so this way
    at least you get something.

Perhaps, if we didn't have these one time events begging for money all the time, they'd be more willing to fund something on an ongoing basis. 3 cities in Canada have hosted Olympics, Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal. Commonwealth Games has had 3 host cities as well, Victoria, Edmonton, Hamilton. Pan Am games have been in Canada three times in two cities, Toronto and Winnipeg (twice).

How did all the other cities in the country manage to build any sort of infrastructure or housing without the games?

Security costs for Vancouver was $1 billion by itself. Surely we can find a better use for a billion dollars than that.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I agree with you 100% but the thing is it wonít happen. There are an estimated 20,000 people sleeping on the streets in Alberta. 40,000 low cost apts are needed in Edmonton alone, equal in Calgary. Seniors housing is needed. Health Care services are in short supply. Transportation needs delayed. Etc Etc. But rich peoples kids need Olympics you know. Most everything is for the rich. I have a severely autistic son and quit my work to care for him full time. I get no help. My wife works OT so we get by. Iím the only person he has plus heís my son so I take the responsibility. But 3 billion so the rich kids can play games sounds like a great investment. Itís how the world works you know. May as well get used to it. lol

It is how things work. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it or support it.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

It will likely be voted down in the plebiscite

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I agree with you 100% but the thing is it won’t happen. There are an estimated 20,000 people sleeping on the streets in Alberta. 40,000 low cost apts are needed in Edmonton alone, equal in Calgary. Seniors housing is needed. Health Care services are in short supply. Transportation needs delayed. Etc Etc. But rich peoples kids need Olympics you know. Most everything is for the rich. I have a severely autistic son and quit my work to care for him full time. I get no help. My wife works OT so we get by. I’m the only person he has plus he’s my son so I take the responsibility. But 3 billion so the rich kids can play games sounds like a great investment. It’s how the world works you know. May as well get used to it. lol
    Your one of the good guys on this board Drumbones.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Thanks. You too.

C2E SME

The Olympics are greater in scope than the World Cup, and those events are hosted by nations. Tokyo, Paris and Los Angeles are hosting the next summer Olympics, and Beijing the next Winter Olympics.

C2E Posting Power

Poor Calgary... may not get a fieldhouse if the Olympic bid is not successful.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/field-house-boosters-worry-opportunity-would-be-squandered-by-not-bidding-for-Olympics

C2E Long Term Contributor

Calgarians vote no (56%)
    ďYou have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.Ē - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

Calgary votes no.

UNOFFICIAL results for Vote 2018:
    • 304,774 ballots were cast
    • 132832 ballots FOR Calgary hosting (43.6%)
    • 171750 ballots AGAINST Calgary hosting (56.4%)

Official results will be available on Friday, November 16 at 3 pm.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

That's a suprise

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    That's a suprise
    As I have said before the Calgary organizing committee did an amazing job and I wouldn't have been surprised if they succeeded in pulling the wool over more than 50 percent of the voters eyes. Thankfully the voice of reason prevailed.

I had a feeling that people in Calgary knew, the cost would be much higher , come 2026..they don't want to be saddled with debt.
    Now I hope council listens, or Nenshi will be toast!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Iím surprised...that the NO vote wasnít higher.

I’m surprised...that the NO vote wasn’t higher.
    56%, that's not bad..I've seen poorer results in elections

No Thanks: Why Denver Turned Down the '76 Olympics

http://mentalfloss.com/article/31291...-1976-olympics
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

If a politician wants to get something done, he canít put it to a vote. For instance how much LRT would be built in Edmonton if it was a vote by the people. Basically no infrastructure would ever get built. The people decided no freeways in Edmonton for decades so we had nothing until the provincial govt decided we are going to have some, no vote. Did edmontonians vote for a new arena? If they had been given the vote Northlands Coliseum would have gotten a new paint job, thatís about it. Many other examples could be given. People like the status quo, especially if a great amount of tax dollars are involved.

I'm surprised that they weren't seduced by this. And Calgarians definitely have an ego about their precious "World Class" city. There must have been some airing of the debt/taxes situation.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That sounds very enticing K364, maybe Edmonton should bid now. That would tick Calgarians off if we got it. The fed and provincial money is there. No vote though. Lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast