Thread: NYE festivities move to Legislature, fireworks at 9 PM

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default NYE festivities move to Legislature, fireworks at 9 PM

https://www.edmonton.ca/attractions_...-downtown.aspx

New Year’s Eve 2018 will wrap up a year of celebrations for Canada’s 150th anniversary of Confederation. The New Year’s Eve Downtown celebration and fireworks show is moving to the Alberta Legislature Grounds.

The free, family-friendly New Year’s Eve celebrations will take place from 6-9pm, culminating with a fireworks show at 9pm.

More program and event details to come closer to the event date.
    If no fireworks at midnight then I ain't gonna bother going. I'd sooner just go to a club or something.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Why at 9.00, did they say? Too early.

Last year they did 9pm and midnight due to 150 funding, but this year they had budgets for 1 show and due to it being on the Leg grounds, it was determined that a family friendly 9pm would be the choice. I was/am not pleased, however this is hopefully temporary.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Considering all the other 8/830 fireworks in the burbs doing 9pm downtown makes no sense. Should be midnight.
    There can only be one.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Incredibly dumb. Even more incredibly lame excuse - "oh, there are people living nearby."

And there aren't DT?

Silly Hall bureaucrats - must be the same people who broughht us the Metro line.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    Considering all the other 8/830 fireworks in the burbs doing 9pm downtown makes no sense. Should be midnight.
    But isn't downtown wanting to be more "family friendly?"
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

It said on CHED they wanted to get people from the Oilers game letting out at 8:00 to go over to the Legislature for fireworks. I could see that logic if the fireworks were going to be at city hall, but I don't think the planners get how far it is from Roger's to the Legislature grounds. It's 32 minutes on foot, and that's for a healthy adult walking at speed. A family would take closer to the whole hour. How many people are actually going to do that? And I can't see many people from the outer marches heading into core for just fireworks, either. They should have stuck with midnight proper.

This has to do with multiple factors and to be very clear, we are not apart of this decision or workings.

1. Churchill is not avail for fireworks until 2019
    2. The Leg grounds were very kind to take it over and allow it to happen
    3. The City has budget for 1 show, unlike last yr which had Canada 150 money for a 9pm and 12am which were both successful
    4. Facility constraints at the Leg

I will be working to ensure it comes back to midnight and perhaps if possible both a 9/12 show when it returns to Churchill.
    www.decl.org

And being at the Leg will give folks along the river and on the south side of the river a better view.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

People are up watching the fireworks from their balconies etc at midnight. I know we did, and many surrounding us did...so this consideration for neighbours is bs.
    Global poll said 72% said it was way too early.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    It said on CHED they wanted to get people from the Oilers game letting out at 8:00 to go over to the Legislature for fireworks. I could see that logic if the fireworks were going to be at city hall, but I don't think the planners get how far it is from Roger's to the Legislature grounds. It's 32 minutes on foot, and that's for a healthy adult walking at speed. A family would take closer to the whole hour. How many people are actually going to do that? And I can't see many people from the outer marches heading into core for just fireworks, either. They should have stuck with midnight proper.
    That would be inane if that's one of the reasons. The mode DT continues to be leave entertainment, drive home. Whether its Rogers, Citadel, Winspear, etc. As much as I like winter a lot of people don't and a lot of people don't like walking around in winter. This year especially bad for slippery sidewalks and intersections.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Last year they did 9pm and midnight due to 150 funding, but this year they had budgets for 1 show and due to it being on the Leg grounds, it was determined that a family friendly 9pm would be the choice. I was/am not pleased, however this is hopefully temporary.
    The irony of investing countless millions in Catalysts to get people engaged in the DT and going DT and then the city can't afford a standard family plus midnight two times NYE fireworks displays that a lot of cities have.

is silly hall possibly this stupid? Rhetorical question.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Multiple impacting factors here.
    www.decl.org

^^

Yeah, the king Midas of $hit.