Thread: Liberals move to strip Canadian citizenship from war criminal

Default Liberals move to strip Canadian citizenship from war criminal

So when the conservatives introduced laws to strip the citizenship of those who came to Canada just so they could access our passport to commit terrorists acts, that was supposedly terrible, because it created two class citizenship.

But now the Liberals are moving to strip the citizenship of an accused war criminal who may have committed war crimes prior to coming Canada.

I thought, per the diatribe we heard against the conservatives, that all citizens were the same, and accordingly it was immoral to strip the citizenship of some (those born outside Canada) and not others (those born in Canada).

The only difference here, is this person may have committed crimes against the islamic religion, as opposed to on its behalf, fighting for Islam is politically correct to liberals, but fighting against it is islamaphobia. I think they are both evil, and both should result in citizenship removal, but if anything, it’s even more evil to lie on your oath so you can commit crime than it is to lie about possible prior crimes:

http://calgaryherald.com/news/politi...8-27d32dd0ea41
    Last edited by moahunter; 12-12-2017 at 07:04 AM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

If I remember correctly the Conservative bill was to enable the revocation of citizenship for acts committed after the person became a citizen. In this case he lied on his citizenship application about acts committed prior.

In 2015, the then-Conservative government brought in reforms to speed up the revocation procedure (though the Liberal government has since repealed the part that allowed revoking citizenship for terrorism, treason or espionage.)
    Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen has filed an action in Federal Court seeking a judicial declaration that Jozepovic obtained his citizenship by making false statements about his background.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

^both are cases where someone has lied on their citizenship application. One has lied about past war crimes, the other has lied on their oath to be a good Canadian. We are spending millions now on social services to reintegrate one group of liars into our society while at the same time spending millions to remove another group. It seems a Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian, unless they fight for the wrong religion at the wrong time (in Liberal la la land it’s ok to do it after your citizenship ceremony but not ok before). In one case, the government will go after them to remove them, in the other, will provide them support to integrate.
    Last edited by moahunter; 12-12-2017 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    I thought, per the diatribe we heard against the conservatives, that all citizens were the same, and accordingly it was immoral to strip the citizenship of some (those born outside Canada) and not others (those born in Canada).
    No, that's not what was said at all, but keep on making incorrect assessments, building dubious assumptions & fallacious arguments on them to show us all what a morally bankrupt & unabashedly deplorable human being you are.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I'd rather C2E than work!

The difference is one has legal consequences and one does not. The oath is symbolic and is not legally binding. That said, we've had this debate before and we're not going agree here.

I would say, though, that given how hard it is to revoke the citizenship of someone in general I doubt the Conservative rules, now repealed, would have led to anyone actually being deported.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    I would say, though, that given how hard it is to revoke the citizenship of someone in general I doubt the Conservative rules, now repealed, would have led to anyone actually being deported.
    I just hope the immigration department makes the same efforts at reviewing every returning ISIS fighter who is a naturalized Canadian to see if they may have committed war crimes before becoming Canadian as they have to this fellow they are prosecuting. The public statements to date are about reintegration, so I am extremely doubtful.

The distinction right now is morally bankrupt, I think the Conservatives were on the right path - the route of most European countries which allow citizenship to be stripped when someone gains that citizenship just so that they can commit major crimes or terrorism. As it stands our immigration department might as well advertise "Come to Canada, you will get a great passport that will get you into lots of countries you can't travel to now. If you travel somewhere in support of your cause, don't worry, you can then come home and we will provide you will social services support to reintegrate into our beautiful society".
    Last edited by moahunter; 12-12-2017 at 08:12 AM.

The background check procedure is far more invasive, intrusive & thorough now than it was 20 years ago. Every single person, from those in Europe, the Middle East, Asia & elsewhere are far more scrutinized than they used to be.

Source: My wife discussing with a family friend their respective ordeals about their mutual immigration experiences, one in 1993 & one 2017.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!