Thread: CONS Lose Seat Held for 40 Years as Liberals Win Where It Matters!!

Thumbs up CONS Lose Seat Held for 40 Years as Liberals Win Where It Matters!!

^their share of the vote went down in 3 out of 4 of the seats, the tide is turning against boy wonder.

40 years moahunter. Net gain of 4 seats in Bye-Elections since Prime Minister Trudeau became leader! The tide has gone out for the CONS!!

^seats demographics change over time. Once Liberal seats will become conservative, and once conservative ones will become Liberal. Its because of changing populations, and changing seat boundaries. The real story here is that the Liberals support is dropping in the popular vote. If you spread that over the entire country and all the swing seats, it spells trouble. And Scheer hasn't even started campaigning yet.

The real story is that the CONS lost again even when Scheer visited the riding twice during the campaign.

The Liberals winning in Surrey/Whiterock would be about as convincing a political climate change as the NDP winning provincial election in Alberta. I'm neutral, and I can see that.

Moa stated; "Seat demographics change" Well, I'd say the Liberals are doing a better job capturing the 35 and under vote. That's not a changing voting tide, that is a sea level change in patterns.

I will add that Scheer visiting a riding and speaking might even have the worst effect. Not sure how the Cons elected this guy.
    Last edited by Replacement; 12-12-2017 at 10:21 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

Vote share numbers in byelections where there is no contest aren't really indicative of anything.

Current national polling does show the Liberals down since the election but effectively flat since Scheer's election. Scheer doesn't seem to have done anything to boost the Conservatives.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

^Nor should he, the campaign hasn't started yet. I think he has had a lot of success in question time though (with the Liberals refusing to answer any questions), he basically building up ammunition for the election.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Vote share numbers in byelections where there is no contest aren't really indicative of anything.

Current national polling does show the Liberals down since the election but effectively flat since Scheer's election. Scheer doesn't seem to have done anything to boost the Conservatives.
    Agreed. Scheer doesn't exude, well, anything really. Flat as a pancake.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Scheer, if anything, will cost his party votes. Its time for the Cons to stop trying with the Kenney like dinosaurs and get on with some kind of evolved format. Progressive would be interesting..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^seats demographics change over time. Once Liberal seats will become conservative, and once conservative ones will become Liberal. Its because of changing populations, and changing seat boundaries. The real story here is that the Liberals support is dropping in the popular vote. If you spread that over the entire country and all the swing seats, it spells trouble. And Scheer hasn't even started campaigning yet.
    Well I suppose that Scheer "hasn't even started campaigning yet" could sort of explain it. When was he going to start, AFTER the by elections?

I think a better explanation is the Conservatives chose the least offensive candidate, which might have been wise if he wasn't from rural Saskatchewan. Somehow he just hasn't caught on with suburban voters in Ontario and BC or voters in Quebec.

To be fair to Scheer, I believe he actually did put in an appearance or two in the BC riding during the by election and in my mind that counts as campaigning or maybe you consider it just visiting.

^you don't understand how the political cycle works. The priority right now for the Conservatives is to raise money, to build a war chest, for the next election, and to build ammunition. You do that by gaining new supporters and playing to your base. Scheer is making the Liberals look ridiculous at the moment in question time, over the dishonest dealings of the finance minister, and the total mess that the new small business tax reforms have become. The Liberals have basically destroyed the entire funding they receive from high net worth individuals in Canada.

I do understand excuses when I hear them and ultimately its the voters verdict that matters and not the smears and cheap shots that go on in QP. I will give the Conservatives credit for choosing the nicest guy in the bunch as a leader, but to give the nastiest ones free reign in the Commons just negates that and turns a lot of people off. Good luck with fundraising and playing to the base - that didn't work so well for Harper in the end.

^I think Harper was in power a lot longer than Trudeau has been. Trudeau's support is dropping, he is losing a lot of respect, especially in Ontario right now with respect to small and large business owners. Even the international love has died, with the Chinese laughing at his attempts to force Canadian labor and gender laws on them, TPP leaders outraged by it, and Filipino leaders offended by our transportation of garbage to the Phillipines. There is a lot of interesting ammunition now, that will come out in the political adverts. A guy who meets with Chinese businesses' to prop up his charity and takes flights to a private island of a guy who receives massive government support for his charities, gives 10m to a convicted terrorist, who wanted money from taxpayers beyond his salary to pay for multiple nanny's, and who refuses to answer questions in question time, isn't fit to be the Canadian PM.
    Last edited by moahunter; 12-12-2017 at 12:10 PM.

gives 10m to a convicted terrorist
    Repeating this lie over & over won't make it any more true, nor the illegally-obtained confession any more legal or binding in Canada, nor will it change the SCC's determination that he had his rights violated by Canadian government officials.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^its not a lie, he was convicted of Terrorism in the US, and Trudeau paid him $10m rather than fighting the payout in the SCC.

^its not a lie, he was convicted of Terrorism in the US,
    In an illegal court, via a confession extracted illegally.

and Trudeau paid him $10m rather than fighting the payout in the SCC.
    Come on, the SCC had already ruled twice that his Charter rights had been infringed upon directly by the Canadian government & was rather ****** the second time around. Do you think the third go would have been any different?

Wait, I forgot. You're an authoritarian who believes the government should be able to ignore the Constitution whenever it's politically expedient or advantageous. Never mind.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^Show us the SCC ruling that he should receive $10M. An apology should have been more than enough, or a payout consistent with what Aboriginals who were abused in residential schools have received. It is total BS for Trudeau to decide that he has been hurt more than those children were.
    Last edited by moahunter; 12-12-2017 at 12:18 PM.

^Show us the SCC ruling that he should receive $10M.
    Show me a ruling where the government can violate a Canadian's rights with impunity.

An apology should have been more than enough, or a payout consistent with what Aboriginals who were abused in residential schools have received.
    Says who? You, an unabashed racist & borderline fascist who only trots out residential schools in an attempt to score points in Khadr debates?

Thanks, but no. Your opinion isn't worth what I scrape off my shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    ^Show us the SCC ruling that he should receive $10M.
    Show me a ruling where the government can violate a Canadian's rights with impunity..
    Nice dodge, so you admit I am right - the SCC did not rule he should be paid $10M - That level of compensation was a decision Trudeau's government made. Just as they decided to give squat to gay people who were imprisoned for their sexuality.

That "dropping" support in Ontario must have been why the Liberals also won the by election there. It seems the changes they have made to their tax proposals addressed much of the concerns of small businesses.

I'm not sure from what you said if he is friendly or not friendly with the Chinese, it sounds rather confused. Why wouldn't we want the Chinese to have better standards if they want free trade with us? Shouldn't it benefit both countries rather than just be about exporting our jobs to countries with low wages and lax environmental/labour laws?

I doubt he is personally responsible for whatever garbage someone hauled from Canada to the Philippines and from what I heard he seems to be working to fix that problem.

It seems like the Conservatives are just throwing a lot of spaghetti at the wall here and trying to see what sticks and most of it is just sliding off.

oh boy this argument again.

Moahunter - the costs of continuing the court case over this would likely double or more what was settled out of court for...

But go on, forget things, typical. I see you prefer wasting even more money and courts time.

Nice dodge, so you admit I am right
    Uh no, you made a leading & fallacious open question & I responded in kind. You're literally the worst debater on here & jagators can barely conjugate verbs.

Can you show me how Omar Khadr is a convicted terrorist in Canada? Because that's where you started going off the rails & my mentioning of the SCC was a (vain & knowingly-fruitless) attempt to get you back on track the 328432798476325989213982137th time you've polluted another thread with your smear campaign & incorrect non-understanding of the facts of the case.

Omar is a lot of things, many of them very not-good, but a "convicted terrorist" is not one of them here in the Great White North.

Can you show me how Omar Khadr is a convicted terrorist in Canada?.
    I never claimed he was, I said he was a convicted terrorist. You really need to learn how to read, this was perfectly accurate, even if you disagree about whether that foreign conviction was correct, and whether you think the price of compensation that was given was right :
    gives 10m to a convicted terrorist

I never claimed he was, I said he was a convicted terrorist. You really need to learn how to read.
    He's never been convicted of terrorism in Canada, nor in any court recognized by international law.

I never claimed he was, I said he was a convicted terrorist. You really need to learn how to read.
    He's never been convicted of terrorism in Canada, nor in any court recognized by international law.
    I never said any of those things in my post above. LEARN TO READ.

^its not a lie, he was convicted of Terrorism in the US, and Trudeau paid him $10m rather than fighting the payout in the SCC.
    Oh jebus does this nonsense have to be in EVERY political thread?

Get a new bong to bang or something.

^I put six factual words concerning the sort of platform Scheer will run on, and Noodle lost it / accused me falsely of lieing. It is, what it is.

Last edited by moahunter; 12-12-2017 at 01:25 PM.

^I put six factual words concerning the sort of Platform Scheer will run on, and Noodle lost it / accused me falsely of lieing. It is, what it is.
    "It is what it is"

Yeah, you posting in a political thread, which immediately makes it nonsense. Your political content is humor to anybody reading it. I guess I should thank you and say continue.

^so you don't think Scheer is going to run on that? He already is, but if you think that's nonsense, or per Noodle think its lies (even when its not), good for you.

Lets just say its not surprising you like Scheer. Don't expect a majority of voting Canadians to..

^The polls show otherwise.

http://poll.forumresearch.com/post/2...eptember-2017/

Toronto, September 21st – In a random sampling of public opinion taken by The Forum Poll™ amongst 1350 Canadian voters, amongst those decided and leaning, if an election were held today, almost four in ten (39%) say they would support the Conservatives, with more than a third (35%) saying they would support the Liberals.

The NDP is supported by almost one sixth (15%), followed by the Bloc Quebécois (5%), and the Green Party (4%), with other parties securing (1%).

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Oh look! Extra! Extra! Thread started with an obviously troll bait headline attracts expected content, rhetoric, and inserts a wedge issue in the appropriate section!!! Film at 11.

In other news, scientists drop a bombshell prediction that the sun will appear in the eastern sky early tomorrow. They are calling this phenomenon Dawn.
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

^The polls show otherwise.

http://poll.forumresearch.com/post/2...eptember-2017/

Toronto, September 21st – In a random sampling of public opinion taken by The Forum Poll™ amongst 1350 Canadian voters, amongst those decided and leaning, if an election were held today, almost four in ten (39%) say they would support the Conservatives, with more than a third (35%) saying they would support the Liberals.

The NDP is supported by almost one sixth (15%), followed by the Bloc Quebécois (5%), and the Green Party (4%), with other parties securing (1%).
    ... if that poll was accurate at the time, or perhaps it was one of those 1 out 20 with an error of more than 3% that they sometimes refer to when citing polls.

In any event September 21 is not today, it is almost 3 months ago now. Perhaps its too bad for you those by elections were not held then.

^lost vote share in 3 of 4 seats, the trend is clear. Of course, the cbc who are terrified of the Conservatives / were purchased by the Liberals in the last election with promised increased funding, would spin it otherwise.

^I put six factual words concerning the sort of platform Scheer will run on, and Noodle lost it / accused me falsely of lieing.
    You're being deliberately disingenuous & willfully ignorant in order to sow discord. Flat out. And frankly, I'm tired of your regressive & transparent schemes.

It is, what it is.

He hasn't been convicted in any court with any standing in international law, just the illegal US kangaroo court at Gitmo. What it "is" is a jumped up, trumped up, torture-extracted confession from a child soldier, aided partially by Canadian government officials acting against the Canadian constitution & Canadian laws.

Your picture is alt-right disingenuous crap. But, coming from you that's par for the course I guess. Your trumpet only plays that one, sad note.

^so you don't think Scheer is going to run on that? He already is, but if you think that's nonsense, or per Noodle think its lies (even when its not), good for you.

The.
    Court.
    At.
    Guantanamo.
    Bay.
    Is.
    Not.
    A.
    Legal.
    Or.
    Valid.
    Court.
    Its.
    Judgments.
    Are.
    Not.
    Binding.

Is Trudeau losing some support among decided Liberal voters? Sure. But it's clear that he's picking up support from a lot of Conservatives and undecided voters, and it's turning over seats. At end of the day, up a few points, down a few points, it's the seats that matter, and Scheer is throwing chairs across the room, right into Trudeau's corner.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Oh look! Extra! Extra! Thread started with an obviously troll bait headline attracts expected content, rhetoric, and inserts a wedge issue in the appropriate section!!! Film at 11.

In other news, scientists drop a bombshell prediction that the sun will appear in the eastern sky early tomorrow. They are calling this phenomenon Dawn.
    Expected debate breaks out over the naming of Dawn. The Men’s Rights League filed a complaint saying that dawn should be renamed something neutral vs the obviously sexist preferential choice of a feminine Dawn rather than the masculine Don.

The Men’s League was also recently in the news for demanding April, May and June be renamed neutral words to remove their feminine bias. This coming on the heels of widespread demands by social justice warriors for changes to July (self proclaimed "dictator in perpetuity"), and August for being named after brutal historic dictators. Combine this with the Make America English Again campaign to remove foreign language from Americn use the ‘proper’ equivalents instead means most months face challenges ahead. (see below)

“September: September's name comes from septem, Latin for “seven."

October: October's name comes from octo, Latin for “eight."

November: November's name comes from novem, Latin for “nine."

December: December's name come from decem, Latin for “ten." “
    https://wonderopolis.org/wonder/how-...et-their-names

Jan and Feb are being considered for demotion to 11th and 12th months by the Leagues of Obsessive Perfectionists and the Anal Retentivez.
    Last edited by KC; 12-12-2017 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Is Trudeau losing some support among decided Liberal voters? Sure. But it's clear that he's picking up support from a lot of Conservatives and undecided voters, and it's turning over seats. At end of the day, up a few points, down a few points, it's the seats that matter, and Scheer is throwing chairs across the room, right into Trudeau's corner.
    The ndp support is going to liberals, they are mad at Horgan at the moment, it all works against the NDP( which I dont mind at all) and the conservatives. Most polls had the liberal winning the riding in BC btw

^lost vote share in 3 of 4 seats, the trend is clear. Of course, the cbc who are terrified of the Conservatives / were purchased by the Liberals in the last election with promised increased funding, would spin it otherwise.
    Well, I suppose the unheard of point spread with the Conservatives only getting 10% in the Newfoundland riding was not sustainable, so now the Liberals win by a reduced landslide and the Conservative vote has doubled to 20% - celebrate that if you want. So far, Scheer hasn't managed to get into a fight and p*ss off the Premier of Newfoundland, like Harper did, but I hardly think the Liberals in that riding are terrified.

Rather careless of Scheer to lose those two seats if the Conservatives are supposedly doing so well, don't you think?

Who knows what happens at the end of the day, but the more venom Trudeau gets the more successful he is. And why? Because most of that venom comes from the right wing. But Trudeau is not trying to cater to them. He's catering to left wing liberals and dippers for the most part. That's why he is succeeding no matter how much blowback he gets from the chattering classes and talking heads, led by the right wing media. Progressive canadians are his path to power. The weaker the dippers the stronger the liberals.

^Basically the only thing the NDP have to differentiate themselves from the Liberals now, is that they are more environmental extremist / anti business development. Its interesting to watch the BC NDP backlash against Horgan for his Site C decision. The risk for the Liberals though is by swinging too far left, the middle class will step back to the Conservatives. By continuing to appear elite and out of touch, and with run away deficits, trust fund baby Trudeau is going to have a tougher time to message for that key demographic than the last election. People were tired of Harper (much like tired of the PC's in Alberta), but next election the image will be very different.
    Last edited by moahunter; 12-12-2017 at 02:45 PM.

Sore losers these CONS. Ha-ha-ha-ha! "Because it's 2017 not 1817!!" (Or should I say "1917" when the CONS brought us the Temporary War Measures Income Tax Act!!)

^Basically the only thing the NDP have to differentiate themselves from the Liberals now, is that they are more environmental extremist / anti business development. Its interesting to watch the BC NDP backlash against Horgan for his Site C decision. The risk for the Liberals though is by swinging too far left, the middle class will step back to the Conservatives. By continuing to appear elite and out of touch, and with run away deficits, trust fund baby Trudeau is going to have a tougher time to message for that key demographic than the last election. People were tired of Harper (much like tired of the PC's in Alberta), but next election the image will be very different.
    Yes, the next election will quite be different. I don't think there will be any "just visiting" or "not ready" attack ads from the Conservatives. They will have to find new ways to be nasty, bitter and negative, while trying not to appear to be so nasty, bitter and negative. That was a real turn off for a lot of voters last time. I'm not sure Pollievre is really helping the Conservatives in the long run, he just reminds me of the late Harper years.

^I think Pollivere is doing extremely well, the shameful thing right now is the Liberals are refusing to answer questions, in question time - this government, with ultra controlling Trudeau in charge re the message (every answer in question time is scripted from one of a half dozen canned memorized responses), has zero respect for the institution of parliament.

Hahaha hilarious you calling out Trudeau for being ultracontrolling when the Conservatives tried to literally rebrand the federal government as "The Harper Government"

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...article569222/

Comedy gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Yes, the next election will quite be different. I don't think there will be any "just visiting" or "not ready" attack ads from the Conservatives. They will have to find new ways to be nasty, bitter and negative, while trying not to appear to be so nasty, bitter and negative. That was a real turn off for a lot of voters last time. I'm not sure Pollievre is really helping the Conservatives in the long run, he just reminds me of the late Harper years.
    No politician is perfect. The liberals aren't angels. But I look at the cons and I know they are the same mean-spirited bunch who I came to despise a few years ago. It's basically the same crew. I innately know that the moment they're in power they won't turn off the partisanship one iota. It'll be Harper Years 2.0.

^I think Pollivere is doing extremely well, the shameful thing right now is the Liberals are refusing to answer questions, in question time - this government, with ultra controlling Trudeau in charge re the message (every answer in question time is scripted from one of a half dozen canned memorized responses), has zero respect for the institution of parliament.

People love the crying man, he's mastered crying on cue to a fine and funny art. His sorry tour helped with votes. Poilievre is doing well in QP, the liberals are quite often angry...fun times!

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From YEG View Post
    Look at your shrinking wallet and keep laughing as the contents go to pay Omar Khadr or Mourneau Shepell

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

People love the crying man, he's mastered crying on cue to a fine and funny art. His sorry tour helped with votes. Poilievre is doing well in QP, the liberals are quite often angry...fun times!
    I was just thinking that about Trudeau crying all the time. He's seems a bit of an emotional wreck. It's O.K. for guys to show emotion now and again but not act like a big girls blouse. He is a drama teacher though so I suppose it could be an act. Drama teacher, drama queen, who knows. Oh well, next federal election to be held is under two years away. A lot can happen in politics in that time.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post

I was just thinking that about Trudeau crying all the time. He's seems a bit of an emotional wreck. It's O.K. for guys to show emotion now and again but not act like a big girls blouse. He is a drama teacher though so I suppose it could be an act. Drama teacher, drama queen, who knows. Oh well, next federal election to be held is under two years away. A lot can happen in politics in that time.
    Yes, it can. Plus the conservatives made gains in all the other ridings, I gather the showing for the NDP dropped..maybe the new leader can get things back from the libs..

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/sing...ding-1.3719308
    Oh dear! I'm glad it still felt like home though....

Thank you for our humour for the day. Oopps - close does not count in politics. He might want to get his GPS looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post

Trudeau does seem to have some mental health issues that should be looked into. Mind you, anyone who goes into politics probably has egomania and other concerns.

Thank you for our humour for the day. Oopps - close does not count in politics. He might want to get his GPS looked at.
    Lol.

That said, Dube acknowledged New Democrats will have to "look at where things could have maybe gone better."

Sending the leader into the wrong riding might be one of the things they'll want to consider.

Trudeau does seem to have some mental health issues that should be looked into. Mind you, anyone who goes into politics probably has egomania and other concerns.
    Absolutely pathetic comment.

Right? He's supposed to be the next Jack Layton, not going to happen..