Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Provincial Super Lab - South Campus

Yes, and it will be at least 2021 for this lab to get built. The timing is perfect. Start building the new superlab now, by 2020 or so Dynalife will be out of the picture, giving AIMCO a chance to catch the next cycle potentially building a new office tower, or hotel, or whatever they want with this space. Can't really do anything or plan anything until the lab is completely out of the question.

If we let the IanOs of the world rule the day, this lab will be still there in 2040, or worse off, relocated to moaCalgary.

Remember: Until O&G recovers Alberta hasn't recovered. It's not like ~75% of the GDP comes from non-energy & 93% of Albertan jobs are in other sectors. Nope. Only the all-mighty oil matters.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Long Term Contributor

Clearly if the superlab was being proposed for downtown then Ian wouldn't be having an issue with this (or rather, not parroting what other DBA execs are telling him to say). But where within DBA territory could this superlab be located? An emptying office tower (e.g. former Enbridge)? The site of the Central Park? Capital Blvd? Would they accept the superlab going to The Quarters, the Remand or the North Edge?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

That's right. Alberta is Big Oil, Big Oil is Alberta so until we're back to massive profits and bonuses for Oil Co CEOs Alberta is officially hurting.

At least, that's what Jason "Downtown Rescuer" Kenney tells us.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    But where within DBA territory could this superlab be located? An emptying office tower (e.g. former Enbridge)? The site of the Central Park? Capital Blvd? Would they accept the superlab going to The Quarters, the Remand or the North Edge?
    The superlab proposed wouldn't work within any existing building. Read what KCantor and others have said. It has a specific stand-alone requirements. There is no where downtown that will work, as the province doesn't own any more land downtown. If keeping costs down was an actual concern of the DBA, they would recognize this, however, they are using cost as a way to further their agenda, but without actually looking at the costs.
    Dynalife's contract is good till 2022, when hopefully the DBA and AIMCO and other downtown stakeholders are able to find a better use for the former lab site.

The Alberta government will consolidate its medical laboratory services into a public corporation under Alberta Health Services next year, with a new Edmonton facility to follow.The province is hoping lab tests will be done more quickly and efficiently in a new integrated public facility at the University of Alberta's south campus.
    The new hub near the south campus LRT station is just an empty field right now, but construction is expected to begin in 2019. The land is already owned by the government, which is expected to save $30 million in land purchase costs.

The government has already committed $20 million to planning, preliminary designs and initial site work for the consolidated lab. The total cost of the project has not yet been revealed.
    The new facility will change where lab results are processed but not where patients get their lab tests done, Alberta Health Minister Sarah Hoffman said on Thursday.
    "We believe that we will have as of good outcomes if not better by having it incorporated within Alberta Health Services," Hoffman said.

A site plan shows the location of the proposed super lab at the University of Alberta South Campus in Edmonton. (John Shypitka/CBC)

It's expected to lead to quick and efficient health tests, she said.
    "As we look at diversification of the economy and trying to advantage Alberta companies about bringing technology and precision health to the table," said Dr. Verna Yiu, president and CEO of Alberta Health Services.
    "Patients probably won't notice — in fact, they shouldn't notice — a difference, but I think the providers will notice a difference, and it's just going to be much better streamlined work."
    Early next year, the province will begin consolidating lab services into the public corporation under Alberta Health.
    Lab tests in Edmonton are currently provided by AHS, Covenant Health, and private company Dynalife.
    Dynalife's contract with the province ends March 31, 2022.

The Health Sciences Association of Alberta, a union representing 5,000 employees of Alberta medical labs, supports the lab integration but is concerned the services may not be publicly delivered.
    Trudy Thomson, the union's vice-president, said the union's members may not be able to continue on their same pensions.
    "It affects a lot of people and it could affect more," Thomson said.
    Hoffman said no jobs will be lost in the new integration plan.
    The new building is expected to be completed by 2022.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...sity-1.4461445
    Last edited by Medwards; 15-01-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Hey, maybe the Katz Group can open the superlab! Build it in ICE District Phase 2! Katz can return to their health care roots!

I'll show myself out.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I thought the land at South Campus was real estate saved for further expansion of UoA? What does a Super lab have to do with the University itself? If there is an opportunity where Aimco can built a tower for it , why not? If the current plan does not require transfer beams to be applied, the tower portion can be built and the podium redone after. If costs are on par with the south campus location, this should be eliminated
    carefully. Without corporations knocking at our doors, office towers will be far and few in the future. One of the comments I get often from non Edmontonians is that Edmonton is a dirty city compared to Calgary. Why? The only difference between the two cities is that one has an undeveloped core compare to the other. A downtown with empty parcel is classified as dirty and the other clean. For those that think people championing for a success downtown only lives downtown, you are so wrong. I'm an hour from downtown although I have a couple of condos in the downtown/central core. I care for downtown as that is the image the world and other part of Canada thinks of us. Some mentioned another waive of construction? Without corporations moving In, what waive? If we are talking about organic growth, you'll be looking at another 30 years of stagnant then.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Sorry! The word was suppose to be "ruminated" not "eliminated."

Could always redefine the downtown borders to include the UofA and south. Then everybody would be happy.

This is provincial land, not university land. The maybe future UofA expansion is on the other side of the tracks.
    There can only be one.

Wait, are you suggesting the lab stays where it is while AIMCO builds an office tower above them & then the lab moves into said office tower?
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Remember: Until O&G recovers Alberta hasn't recovered. It's not like ~75% of the GDP comes from non-energy & 93% of Albertan jobs are in other sectors. Nope. Only the all-mighty oil matters.
    O&G may already have recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I thought the land at South Campus was real estate saved for further expansion of UoA? What does a Super lab have to do with the University itself? If there is an opportunity where Aimco can built a tower for it , why not? If the current plan does not require transfer beams to be applied, the tower portion can be built and the podium redone after. If costs are on par with the south campus location, this should be eliminated
    carefully. Without corporations knocking at our doors, office towers will be far and few in the future. One of the comments I get often from non Edmontonians is that Edmonton is a dirty city compared to Calgary. Why? The only difference between the two cities is that one has an undeveloped core compare to the other. A downtown with empty parcel is classified as dirty and the other clean. For those that think people championing for a success downtown only lives downtown, you are so wrong. I'm an hour from downtown although I have a couple of condos in the downtown/central core. I care for downtown as that is the image the world and other part of Canada thinks of us. Some mentioned another waive of construction? Without corporations moving In, what waive? If we are talking about organic growth, you'll be looking at another 30 years of stagnant then.
    A superlab needs to be in a standalone structure. This is level 5 medical lab, not a walk in doctors office. Dynalife is the one with the lease in 'manulife 2' not AHS. When the contract dynalife has with ends, the lease will be over, AIMCO (the owner of 'manulife 2' has long wanted to re-do this property, but has been unable to with this lease. These jobs are not immediately leaving either, they will still be needed until at least 2021.
    The molehill the DBA and in particular Ian O'Donnell, Exec Director DBA has turned in a mountain grows by the day, and is shortsighted, and narrow minded at best.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    O&G may already have recovered.
    Some people won't consider it recovered until Grade 11 dropouts are making more money than teachers & nurses.

TY. South Campus was what was stated with the original report. Aimco (102st. Centre) is also provincially owned. What better way than to build a needed facility. Killing multiple birds with one stone with this.

TY. South Campus was what was stated with the original report. Aimco (102st. Centre) is also provincially owned. What better way than to build a needed facility.
    I don't think intentionally compromising the efficiency of the lab by shoehorning it into a built form ill-suited for it is the "better way".

Killing multiple birds with one stone with this.
    You'd be killing something by forcing the lab to stay downtown, but I don't think it'd be birds...

No... not really. on all accounts.

A level 5 medical lab isn't a suitable for a podium with other tenants.

AIMCO is an investment crown corporation that invests pension funds and the heritage funds. It's at arms length from the province.

102 st center is not at all owned or controlled by the province.

You would have to build a lab elsewhere so that you could vacate the existing location for construction. Once you've done that why would you bother moving back?
    There can only be one.

Uh, because VIBRANCY & because if Downtown loses, everyone loses & you don't want to be a loser, do ya?

And have you seen just how vibrant that podium is now? WOW! So vibrant with those papered windows and no street life!

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

there's more than a glancing relationship between a superlab and a university over and above proximity to the hospitals and health sciences facilities located on the university. if we're going to be "a health city", one of the things that will contribute substantially to that industry cluster being successful (in addition to training and testing and collaboration) would be the ability to appropriately collect and analyze and distribute "big data". the ability of a superlab and university to collaborate on that in close secure proximity is invaluable, as is the consistency of results from a single facility when correlating them to environmental and other factors.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Oh yeah, forgot.

Of course, if we were intent on spending twice as much as necessary on this lab they could do it on the south campus site and use the extra making that location vibrant. Can't other places be vibrant too?
    There can only be one.

^^if it can't be downtown, at least build it properly then, up not out. Here is the health center in Houston, it rivals Edmonton's downtown:

Not really it doesn't.

I agree though. Rather than 3-4 stories I would rather see 6-8. It's a lab, though, so a true tower form wouldn't make sense; at some point all the exhaust ducts would eat up most of the floor space.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    And have you seen just how vibrant that podium is now? WOW! So vibrant with those papered windows and no street life!
    But where do those workers buy their lunch? Where do they walk? Sure, it could be prettier, but and empty podium will be even uglier.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    Not really it doesn't.
    I actually think it, and Rice University district, are nicer than Houston downtown (which is tall, but completely lifeless).

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    But where do those workers buy their lunch? Where do they walk? Sure, it could be prettier, but and empty podium will be even uglier.
    Which is why the DBA should spend the next 4 years making plans for something to replace it. Downtown retail rates are actually quite low. It's already ted into the pedway system and the downtown mall. Retail in there makes a lot more sense than a lab that only interacts with downtown for an hour each day.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Which is why the DBA should spend the next 4 years making plans for something to replace it. Downtown retail rates are actually quite low. It's already ted into the pedway system and the downtown mall. Retail in there makes a lot more sense than a lab that only interacts with downtown for an hour each day.
    where do those workers buy their lunch? isn't that an interesting question...

does anyone know how many of those 700 employees do anything other than brown-bag it every day?

They probably just get half an hour, not the hour that people with expense accounts and clients to dine get.

So Most of them eat in???
    There can only be one.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

Most of them brown bag every day I imagine. There's a larger staff room than you would see for most offices its size. Reminds of my times when I worked an industrial style job.

One of the problems they face is that the bench workers wear something resembling scrubs for doing their work. You can see some of them wandering around but not many. I imagine there's a protocol for when they leave the premises and then return also to ensure a clean environment. Probably much less fuss to stay in their bubble for the work day.

It amuses me that people think that this is a source for downtown vibrancy.
    Last edited by EveB; 15-01-2018 at 05:32 PM.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    Most of them brown bag every day. There's a larger staff room than you would see for most offices its size.

One of the problems they face is that the bench workers wear something resembling scrubs for doing their work. You can see some of them wandering around but not many. I imagine there's a protocol for when they leave the premises and then return also to ensure a clean environment. Probably much less fuss to stay in their bubble for the work day.

you're not alone in your amusement EveB... other than what's amusing is really quite sad.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Most of them brown bag every day. There's a larger staff room than you would see for most offices its size.

you're not alone in your amusement EveB... other than what's amusing is really quite sad.
    Its even more sad to think people working downtown doesn't add to downtown vibrancy - but sure, you are welcome to your amusing logic that could be extended to argue that you could move all the workers out of downtown (why stop at the lab?), and there would be no impact at all on any downtown business or the cores vibrancy...

A Timmies in the ground floor corner of the new lab facing the LRT station and the ugly gyms would probably provide a city-wide net vibrancy gain.
    There can only be one.

They're not adding to vibrancy if they go into a building that has no connection to the street (windows, shows, etc), a very few of them pop out for some lunch, and then leave and go home. What exactly are they adding to making downtown vibrant?

vi·bran·cy
    noun
    the state of being full of energy and life.
    "the vibrancy of the city center"

Oooohhhh, soooo vibrant!

https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.54183...7i13312!8i6656

^yup, nobody who ever vists the lab, or drops something off, ever stops and picks up a muffin, or buys a coffee, nobody who works there every buys lunch, or picks up breakfast, or does some shopping before going home. Its just a sausage factory like every other downtown workplace, we could move it all tomorrow to Windermere, or Castledowns, or Leduc, and downtown would be no different.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Its even more sad to think people working downtown doesn't add to downtown vibrancy - but sure, you are welcome to your amusing logic that could be extended to argue that you could move all the workers out of downtown (why stop at the lab?), and there would be no impact at all on any downtown business or the cores vibrancy...
    ???? and where, exactly, did i post or even hint anything even remotely like that?

A Timmies in the ground floor corner of the new lab facing the LRT station and the ugly gyms would probably provide a city-wide net vibrancy gain.
    The point is there is plenty of B-office space that the lab could go in for a fraction of the price of a new warehouse location in South Campus, not that it has to stay exactly where it is.

I used to wander over there to deliver proficiency testing samples and I can assure you that the "inside the pedway" view is no more lively than the Google street view.

???? and where, exactly, did i post or even hint anything even remotely like that?
    Oh - so its just lab workers who don't add to downtown vibrancy - people in suits are welcome, but not lab coats?

Oh - so its just lab workers who don't add to downtown vibrancy - people in suits are welcome, but not lab coats?
    I think it is the bunker like space that doesn't add to downtown vibrancy, lab coats are irrelevant to this debate.

^I think the loss of workers will be a bigger impact than converting the bunker into vacant space - but ideally, the bunker would move "up" or into another building downtown.

It won't be vacant space for very long. And the bunker can't simply move "up" or into a set of offices elsewhere. Not without doing a *lot* of retrofitting of the space.

What adds vibrancy to downtown, particularly during the day are things that bring people downtown that aren't working. Things like retail, services, the art gallery. Why? Because, except for lunch, the people working downtown are WORKING. Take out the retail, like in the podium, and 102 street is what the rest of downtown would look like all the time. It's not the people working downtown that add vibrancy for the most part. It's people that have time to head down and take up the slack during the day. Whether it's grabbing a bite after an appointment in one of the towers or someone doing some shopping or grabbing a matinee and a spot of lunch. If you're counting on just the people that work downtown then you're basically vibrant for an hour during the lunch rush.

The podium does nothing to bring those sorts of people downtown.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

The point is there is plenty of B-office space that the lab could go in for a fraction of the price of a new warehouse location in South Campus, not that it has to stay exactly where it is.
    you do realize that would be more expensive and less efficient don’t you?

not that this would be he first time you opted to ignore the facts to support an opinion.

Most of them brown bag every day I imagine. There's a larger staff room than you would see for most offices its size. Reminds of my times when I worked an industrial style job.

I remember in the late ‘80s or early ‘90s there was talk of moving some government workers somewhere downtown and businesses were concerned that their businesses would suffer from the largely cheap brown bagger Government workforce. (It was mentioned in an Edmonton Journal article but that’s all I can recall.)

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

oops, i forgot. this is the "facts don't count thread". carry on...

Moahunter likes to appear clever by prognosticating an extrapolation of what you were going to say & then formulating a response to said projection in advance, delivering both the prediction & rebuttal in one convenient package.

Too bad he's got a nigh-sociopathic lack of empathy & imagines everyone is as deplorable on the inside as he is, making his predictions comically inaccurate & often close to libelous.

I remember in the late ‘80s or early ‘90s there was talk of moving some government workers somewhere downtown and businesses were concerned that their businesses would suffer from the largely cheap brown bagger Government workforce. (It was mentioned in an Edmonton Journal article but that’s all I can recall.)
    I remembered that as well. I think it was roughly 1992(?) If I recalled correct.

I think everyone at the DBA can agree that there is NO room downtown for brown baggers. Say NO to Brown Bagging!

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    I think everyone at the DBA can agree that there is NO room downtown for brown baggers. Say NO to Brown Bagging!
    Does brown bagging include takeout from McDs, A&W, Thai Express, Sunterra, etc?
    Does vibrancy only count when doing lunch at hipster-approved eateries?
    Me am confused! Confused, I say!

I thought the land at South Campus was real estate saved for further expansion of UoA?
    The superlab site is about 3.3 hectares. The South Campus / UofA Farm has about 160 hectares of open land. Granted, some of it is being used for farming stuff. The point is it is HUGE. A typical downtown block is about 2 hectares.

Made at home. In my decades downtown I rarely ate out or bought out and brought in. Never took the bus, but for years caught a ride. Only a few years of paid parking. So no one downtown made much of a living off of me.
    Last edited by KC; 18-01-2018 at 12:58 AM.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Made at home. In my decades downtown I rarely ate out or bought out and brought in. Never took the bus, but for years caught a ride. Only a few years of paid parking. So no one downtown made much of a living off of me.
    hhehe.. same with me. You could probably count on one hand the number of times per year that I go out for lunch. Brown paper bag and a walk, that's my lunchtime.

SeeYouLaterDowntownLabbyMclabbyFace

The Downtown Edmonton Memorial Lab, since evidently the move is a death sentence...

WhatIDon'tHaveToPayForParkingAnymore Lab?

Most Likely they will have to pay for parking, following the precedent of Alberta Health Services as well as The existing provincial structured parking that I'm aware of.
    There can only be one.

Brown Bag, Dont Care Super Lab!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Careful there Medwards & Noodle or you might get a stern PM from the DBA telling you that they know your bosses and that you’d better mind your P’s & Q’s or else
    Parkdale

I'm just going to go on the record now and state that I do not wish to be contacted via PM from anyone employed or performing work, or acting as an agent for the DBA or the DECL for that matter. Any such contact will be considered a violation of the recently introduced rules by Admin and reported immediately. DO NOT CONTACT ME.

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

A stern PM ?

Most Likely they will have to pay for parking, following the precedent of Alberta Health Services as well as The existing provincial structured parking that I'm aware of.
    It's actually law that Parking has to be self sustaining, and that Alberta Health Dollars cannot go towards building and/or maintaining parking. Hence, the parking fees at AHS and Covenant facilities.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I'm just going to go on the record now and state that I do not wish to be contacted via PM from anyone employed or performing work, or acting as an agent for the DBA or the DECL for that matter. Any such contact will be considered a violation of the recently introduced rules by Admin and reported immediately. DO NOT CONTACT ME.YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!
    Why say this in this thread? Why antagonize? You don't need to respond, but if there was a PM that you found antagonistic, then just report it. If you received a PM from someone you didn't want, then tell him/her/he/she/ze/zot/zowie that you don't want to be contacted...maybe even cc'ing Admin. Like I said before, disagreeing doesn't mean having to be disagreeable.

Just throwing in a cross-ref to a similar jobs shifting issue:Edmonton may get new jobs at Vegreville's expensehttp://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...ille-s-expense
    ...I caught this post while re-reading the thread...and I even referenced it in some of my earlier writing in this thread. Yes, there are parallels at 50,000 feet...the biggest being the loss of a good number of high paying jobs from one area to another, with alleged political patronage or poor political timing as a backdrop. However, the parallels start to break down when you deep dive.

IF...these bureaucratic paper processing style jobs...which require absolutely no outside public contact to perform the duty...were initially in the downtown core of Edmonton and the Feds were planning to move them out to, say, Jasper Place, Millwoods, etc...I would actually revise my stance and stand with the DBA in saying these jobs are unnecessarily being moved. These are cubicle farm jobs that process requests and assess forms. These do not require a substantial amount of floor space to accommodate specific equipment...or easy access to repair/remove/upgrade the same. These jobs are not as time critical as lab samples. These jobs do not need to be immediately adjacent to a major learning/teaching institution. With 2018 technology, often the original paper is scanned and electronically transmitted, or filled online in the first place. This would be a net loss of location appropriate, well paying jobs from the core, and just like the proposed move from Veg..unnecessary.

However, a smaller centre like Veg does not have even one iota of the clout to ever recruit another centre like what they have now. The DBA - in conjunction with the City, EEDC, and the ears of the province - has an arsenal of weapons at their disposal. 250 jobs, while making a mark, could be recruited in a downtown case. Recruitment is exactly the mandate of the organizations I mention...we spend millions on this. While 250 jobs is a mark for downtown, for Veg, they are irreplaceable. Further contrasting the issue was the attitude in the Veg thread that Veg didn't deserve these jobs, and that downtown Edmonton hubris of Downtown Uber Alles came to rear its ugly head as people chided good neighbors in places like Veg...or Stony, Spruce, etc. as being rural, uneducated hicks that deserved to be punished...for whatever reason. Deeper to the issue is that...ok...we speak of a diverse economy and opportunity for all...does that need to be at the expense of our neighbors who (with O&G being pretty much the only game in town) have really no capacity to react, and even less support from their alleged friends and neighbors in Capital City?

If the province's 2015 GDP report is accurate, Ag is ~1.6% in 2015...and that is COMBINED with Forestry. Miniscule comparatively...yet there is this attitude that Ag would be a saviour? I could really rant on Ag and how it is really in trouble...but that is another thread...

This lab, given the space needed, the land already owned, and the opportunity to redirect other headcount downtown while keeping the overall numbers of City headcount somewhat whole, would have me taking the collaborative approach of using the clout I have as Edmonton, and Downtown Edmonton, to take a more altruistic approach (somewhat similar to the stance I have with Veg) to get the big lab built for the sake of Edmonton...and work to get other cubicle farm style GoA headcount transferred DT. I think this is the root cause of why so many don't appreciate the current stance posed by the DBA on the lab file.

Conclusion...sure, at the highest level the two can be juxtaposed. The devil is in the details...
    Onward and upward

Richard, jesus christ you at one point had a sense of humour, ny comment was a response to 240glt. Lighten up.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I once had a sense of humour...and I still do.

...but one does get tired of some things...
    Onward and upward

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Well now...I guess the whole world just changed. Call off the dogs IanO, the lab is staying Downtown.

http://emrb.ca/Website/media/PDF/Pub...nteractive.pdf

Check out page 25 - 27.

Downtown Edmonton is now defined by a colossal area...and the U of A, all of Old Strathcona, and this new lab are Downtown.

IanO is now king of the world! Membership in the DBA is now what....100 fold?
    Onward and upward

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Well now...I guess the whole world just changed. Call off the dogs IanO, the lab is staying Downtown.

http://emrb.ca/Website/media/PDF/Pub...nteractive.pdf

Check out page 25 - 27.

Downtown Edmonton is now defined by a colossal area...and the U of A, all of Old Strathcona, and this new lab are Downtown.

IanO is now king of the world! Membership in the DBA is now what....100 fold?
    on top of that RichardS, all of the icons and pictographs they curated are all so, so, so... iconic and pictographic!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123