Thread: How do you celebrate Ukrainian Christmas?

Default How do you celebrate Ukrainian Christmas?

This year I believe itís January 7, 2018

I'm not Ukrainian but if I think on I'll have pierogis because I like them.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." ĖMark Twain

The majority of people in my home town were Ukrainian Catholic, and celebrated Christmas on December 25 using the Gregorian Calendar. I was the only Ukrainian kid who grew up in an Orthodox church (Russian Orthodox in my case) who would celebrate Christmas on the Julian calendar. We would actually celebrate on both Christmas days, with us having exchanging gifts on Gregorian Christmas and having the family get together, since people were on holidays, and then having a traditional Christmas Eve dinner at my grandparents on the Julian Christmas. I still find it amusing that people refer to it as Ukrainian Christmas, though I'm sure other areas of the province must have been Ukrainian Orthodox in great numbers for the name to stick.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

We held our big celebration on December 25 with family and friends because that's when everyone has days off.
    We'll have a smaller meal and immediate family gift exchange on Christmas eve January 6.
    Non semper erit aestas

Stop calling it Ukrainian Christmas, it Orthodox Christmas, which includes more people that just people from the Ukraine.

Some jurisdictions of the Eastern Orthodox Church, including those of Russia, Georgia, Ukraine, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, and Jerusalem, mark feasts using the older Julian calendar. As of 2018, there is a difference of 13 days between the Julian calendar and the modern Gregorian calendar, which is used internationally for most secular purposes. As a result, December 25 on the Julian calendar currently corresponds to January 7 on the calendar used by most governments and people in everyday life. Therefore, the aforementioned Orthodox Christians mark December 25 (and thus Christmas) on the day that is internationally considered to be January 7.[4]
    Last edited by Medwards; 03-01-2018 at 09:21 AM.