Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Shift - 38 and 35 storeys + Townhouse podium - 700 units

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    Really gorgeous! Will make a great addition to the city!

Only complaint would be that it would be nice if they put a little more work into hiding those toppers.
    Last edited by Aaron_Lloyd; 08-11-2018 at 10:26 AM.

They're not ugly but not great. I'm just glad for a nicer exterior to contrast 104st- The Langham Wall. Stucco is fine, but we don't need a fake great Wall of China either as that appears to be...
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Deal with the setbacks you're given. A developers dream.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

C2E Long Term Contributor

'Very Toronto'
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

What?

Half of the towers going up in the GTA look like these. Not a bad thing unless you have 100 of them.
    www.decl.org

Hendrix officially sold so the Edgar's will build this quickly.

It is not Toronto thing. This concept is all over the world with better designs. I'm OK with cantileving out, but give it a bit more on all sides to make it interesting: that way, it compliments the articulation of the balconies as it they are all over the place. The latest render is a pile junk of a mess at present. Its saving grace is the exterior dressings otherwise it is a poor version of Hillside estates with new exteriors. Lamb's version for 105-103ave was more appetizing.

I think it's addressing 106 St and 102 ave well. I don't think there is a full understanding of the angles from the adjacent lot and the lane.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Not bad. I like the broad side more than I expected.
    Are both towers directly in line on that broad side or is there some offset?

From my perspective Dan, one tower will align with Energy Square, and the one closes to 102 Ave is set back to the alley.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilers99 View Post
    Hendrix officially sold so the Edgar's will build this quickly.
    No surprise! They don’t waste any time that’s for sure.

Side note: I went to school with Henry, the young Edgar. Good too see him doing well.

Proposed rezoning in Downtown
    November 14, 2018

Edmontonians are invited to a drop-in engagement session to learn more about the proposed rezoning at 102 Avenue and 106 Street to allow development of two high rise towers.

Date: Wednesday, November 21
    Time: 6 – 8 p.m.
    Location: First Presbyterian Church (Wallace Room), 10025 105 Street

The meeting will be an opportunity to learn more about the proposal and provide your feedback to the City and applicant. Feedback will be summarized in a report to City Council when the proposed rezoning goes to Public Hearing for a decision.

The proposed rezoning would allow development of two high rise towers (approximately 37 and 33 storeys) with commercial and residential uses at grade and four storeys of above grade parking.

For more information:
    edmonton.ca/Downtown
    www.decl.org

Just talked to Peter with MCM on this and he said it went really well; however, he's used to the "magic" that happens with City and locals in Vancouver, but since I couldn't attend, the energy seemed to go fairly well with the proejct and Open House. I'm getting the sense that MCM will be retained throughout the whole project and there's no classic Edmonton bait and switch. I mentioned that to him about how design change from night to day and he looked... unhappy, he's optimistic the project will retain its design integrity that it currently has - I mean it is one of his proejcts. We were just in a meeting on choosing 2 designs for our project... and while his eggs were in the Dutch-inspired fresh new design, the marketing team was weighing towards a very... traditional and older design (Bauhaus inspired), but the HY Louie brothers were curious for his more modern design.

I mean it's tough when your design gets pulled in two directions and I'm really hoping The Shift doesn't go the way of a few downtown towers lately, or so it seems they go a certain way ("economical").

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Just talked to Peter with MCM on this and he said it went really well; however, he's used to the "magic" that happens with City and locals in Vancouver, but since I couldn't attend, the energy seemed to go fairly well with the proejct and Open House. I'm getting the sense that MCM will be retained throughout the whole project and there's no classic Edmonton bait and switch. I mentioned that to him about how design change from night to day and he looked... unhappy, he's optimistic the project will retain its design integrity that it currently has - I mean it is one of his proejcts. We were just in a meeting on choosing 2 designs for our project... and while his eggs were in the Dutch-inspired fresh new design, the marketing team was weighing towards a very... traditional and older design (Bauhaus inspired), but the HY Louie brothers were curious for his more modern design.

I mean it's tough when your design gets pulled in two directions and I'm really hoping The Shift doesn't go the way of a few downtown towers lately, or so it seems they go a certain way ("economical").
    At the end of the day the design has to align with the budget in order to generate the returns. Sure there are always elements that change as the project moves from concept to schematic design to working drawings. The last two buildings the Edgar's have developed are pretty much in line with what was shown in the respective DC2 appendices.

je-je-je-jenga! You take a block from the middle and you put it on top...

www.decl.org

Haha poor Goodyear looks so small next to it.

Also, wow they look great. Townhouse podium is a great fit for that street.

Happy for the setback on the second tower - helps give 102 Ave some relief.

Not sure that brick bldg's name - but Fountain Tire it's not. Love walking by it - hope it stays!
    ... gobsmacked

Awesome project !!

C2E SME

Wow, that looks great!
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Sexy!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

yup, very nice and at a very good location in my opinion !

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post

At the end of the day the design has to align with the budget in order to generate the returns. Sure there are always elements that change as the project moves from concept to schematic design to working drawings. The last two buildings the Edgar's have developed are pretty much in line with what was shown in the respective DC2 appendices.
    Highly agree and that's what comes with a good team from the start. I'm less cautiously optimistic about this project than most in Edmonton. I had to yank his chain a bit though.

I agree. As per the design, the only thing I'm turned of is the balcony arrangements; otherwise, it is a decent design I welcome. This will definitely balance out the Icons from the west elevation.

Ctzn-Ed, you don't like the offset of the balconies or? I think it adds a bit of extra interest.

No, it looks like a mess especially with how they propose the cantilever- bad fungshui imo. What saved it is the nice choice of exterior they chose. Picture that with stucco, and I'm sure every would scream disaster. Way too busy and all over the place for me. That said, it is not a disaster, and I can accept it.
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 07-12-2018 at 08:16 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Those renders look good. I hope this breaks ground soon.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

I see nothing wrong with these towers. I quite like them. Excellent addition to our downtown. And they block the Icons a bit more

I very much like the glass box accents, I hope these don't end up being omitted, without them it's just another tower project, I also think the simple and clean white capping bit looks good.

^I'm with you. I think they look good. I believe the glass box offsets are the common amenity areas, so it's unlikely they will be deleted.

It looks like the cantilevered box is for the social amenity, and, without it, it would be a glorified Hillside estates really.

Here's a dream for Edmonton: I'd like to see a bridge between future twin towers with the amenities area placed within such a 'sky pedway'

Interesting you mentioned that as I have thought of that too the last while.

Interesting comment from John Day about J22 is that if he did it again they would have small informal gathering spaces on each floor. In large buildings with many units it has been shown to provide a better sense of community.

But I don't mind the party rooms provided in new buildings. Like ctzn-Ed said, otherwise they'd been glorified Hillside Estates. Mind you they will have a new park across the street.
    www.decl.org

Better renderings of a similar project just proposed in Burnaby. A sign of possible things to come? Maybe not due to the markets but gives you a better idea.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/5977...rotown-gensler

CityPlace in Toronto has multiple towers that are similar... tis the flavour of the last 5yrs.
    www.decl.org

Highly agree, simply posting this version as per comments on the protruding balconies. With green building code standards coming online we're seeing a draw back to 60's Moderne minimalist styles with punched windows with surrounded balconies covered by a skin to act as a facade.

Another productive meeting with DECL and Edgar Developments on 'The Shift'; such an exciting and instrumental project taking form.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1085621057556377600
    @ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Better renderings of a similar project just proposed in Burnaby. A sign of possible things to come? Maybe not due to the markets but gives you a better idea.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/5977...rotown-gensler
    Looks like the MacKenzie

Not even close. It is a well executed design. Everything is proportion and symmetrical and that is why it looks better than our's. The only thing saving grace to our project's is that it is all glazing.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Not even close. It is a well executed design. Everything is proportion and symmetrical and that is why it looks better than our's. The only thing saving grace to our project's is that it is all glazing.
    Ours is almost perfectly proportioned.

If you FEEL it isn't aesthetically pleasing, that's a different thing. :P
    Last edited by Stevey_G; 17-01-2019 at 08:49 AM.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

https://www.mackenzietower.com/. In case you forgot about this one Eddy.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 17-01-2019 at 09:31 AM.

Any ideas on a start time for the shift? Year? Likely their next project after McLaren? or grandin.

Late 2019, early 2020.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Late 2019, early 2020.
    I wouldn't be dragging my feet if I were them that's for sure. Any later than this and they'll potentially be dealing with LRT construction in the area. Which will suck for years.

...and park construction.
    www.decl.org

...and park construction.
    The dustbowl is improving. I do with they had integrated some retail space into the project alongside the town homes. It would have been nice to have some cafes and shops in the area.
    Last edited by Stevey_G; 17-01-2019 at 12:20 PM.

There will be at the corner of 102ave/106st.
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Late 2019, early 2020.
    I wouldn't be dragging my feet if I were them that's for sure. Any later than this and they'll potentially be dealing with LRT construction in the area. Which will suck for years.
    Probably not a popular opinion...but it would be nice to just close the necessary parts of 106th and do The Shift, park construction, and LRT construction, all at the same time. Just rip off that Band-Aid.
    Last edited by AUsenik; 17-01-2019 at 02:36 PM. Reason: forgot word

It is very likely that all three will overlap.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by AUsenik View Post
    Late 2019, early 2020.
    Probably not a popular opinion...but it would be nice to just the necessary parts of 106th and do The Shift, park construction, and LRT construction, all at the same time. Just rip off that Band-Aid.
    If my unit doesn't sell and I get stuck with it, I'd still be alright with that. Popular or not, all of the projects desperately improve this wasteland. Only thing I won't be keen getting stuck with is the vibration and noise of the LRT ripping by, Being ground level, that could be bad.

- but those are the things you've gotta accept in order for the area to evolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    https://www.mackenzietower.com/. In case you forgot about this one Eddy.
    It doesn't look anything like the one in Van.

What’s the tower to the south of this project? In that model there’s a tower between The Shift and Energy Square.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
    What’s the tower to the south of this project? In that model there’s a tower between The Shift and Energy Square.
    That’s a placeholder for a future fifty story Westrich development.

Pumped for this one to get started.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Pumped for this one to get started.
    That makes two of us!

C2E SME

If they could do all the construction in the area at once it would be pretty cool when it all opens up to a whole new look for the entire area. I really hope this project and the two or three others proposed for the area all get going.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

It is very likely that all three will overlap.
    Not to mention 106 Street streetscaping.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
    That’s a placeholder for a future fifty story Westrich development.
    A bit off topic but what with Westrich ambitions for the Grandin City project, I wonder what the future is for this "50 story tower?"

There is a thread on that
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Thanks, I know. Been to both. Was wondering if The Shift will Spark Westrich to build their proposal adjacent to Energy Square.

^I believe Westrich's priority is the 2-4 towers in Grandin first, then maybe the site on 106 Street.
    www.decl.org

I believe so.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Too bad, I would really love to see the 106st location developed first.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    ^I believe Westrich's priority is the 2-4 towers in Grandin first, then maybe the site on 106 Street.
    I would suspect after (or concurrent with) 1 or 2 Grandin towers, Westrich would shift to 106 Street then back to Grandin.

The two areas appeal to two different demographics / customer profiles so it would be illogical to develop all the Grandin properties before revisiting downtown.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    It makes more sense to get the biggest bang for the buck.

^^Ya that's what I meant.
    www.decl.org

The full urban design brief for those interested.

https://www.edmonton.ca/residential_...sign_Brief.pdf
    www.decl.org

Those won't stand out much at 113m and 99m respectively. At 113m it is the roof height of Scotia and the smaller tower at 99m the exact height of the former Enbridge tower peak.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Those won't stand out much at 113m and 99m respectively. At 113m it is the roof height of Scotia and the smaller tower at 99m the exact height of the former Enbridge tower peak.
    It will sure standout at street level though, which will be greatly appreciated by many who walk that area including myself. Bringing more people to the area will also be welcome and noticeable (hopefully).

Actually... they will because of their location.
    www.decl.org

I’ll lose some morning light but I’m really looking forward to watching this community bloom. Well worth it to me.

www.decl.org

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Those look fantastic and will be amazing for the neighbourhood which has been such a disgusting expanse of parking for as long as I can remember and then some I’m sure.
    Last edited by etownboarder; 20-02-2019 at 09:02 PM.

The design brief mentions something rather interesting: "Flex", or repurposable parking on the 3rd and 4th floors of the podium. They're intentionally putting in flat floors and 3m heights so the space can be relatively easily converted into something more useful in the future. Nice! I've heard of this being done elsewhere, but this might be a first for Edmonton. (Does anyone know of others?)

How I wish more parkades were built like this. As it is, I fear most will have to simply be turned into landfill.

Anything above ground elevation is flat anyways, so I suspect preparation for potential automated parking then?

Not automated and an Edmonton first I believe.
    www.decl.org

A developer is proposing to build two unique, high-rise towers dubbed The Shift on parking lot space at the southeast corner of 106 Street and 102 Avenue in the Warehouse District of downtown Edmonton.

The residential towers – 36 and 40 storeys tall with a total of 700 units – are being proposed by Edgar Development. The structures will be built over a four-storey base or podium that includes retail stores and townhouse units. Distinctive double-height, cantilevered glass boxes will shift out prominently roughly two-thirds up the way of each tower.

The building massing and design will be modelled after the Edwardian architectural style popular in Edmonton before the First World War and found in commercial buildings in the area.

Lisa Sobchyshyn, communications adviser, urban form and corporate strategic development for Edmonton, says the application is presently under review by the city’s administration and the next step will be a public hearing where city council would vote on the proposal.

https://canada.constructconnect.com/...-shift-reality
    www.decl.org

Wow... "Edwardian"? That's definitely not MCM and better be Edgar's doing... I'm definitely talking to MCM tomorrow and asking them WTF

What part is going to be Edwardian? The podium is being changed to faux historic?

Nope.
    www.decl.org

Nope.
    Nope what?

no more than a fan of architecture, but if you google image search "edwardian architectural style", it looks nothing like the buildings in the warehouse district.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Nope.
    Nope what?
    Not faux.
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The available renderings don't look Edwardian in the slightest. Count me as confused, too.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

What are examples of Edwardian architecture already here?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Nope.
    Nope what?
    Not faux.
    They bought a time machine and are going back to the Edwardian era? Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    What are examples of Edwardian architecture already here?
    Whyte Ave and most of the warehouses in this area. The mention of "Edwardian" is that lame marketing whimsy. There was a building in Van that was written describing the façade as a homage to the mountains with rocky and treed surfaces... it was panelled glass of varying shades, to say the least.

I'll answer my own question:
    https://www.edmontonsarchitecturalhe...les/edwardian/

Originating in England during the reign of King Edward VII from 1901 to 1910, this architectural style was popular in Edmonton before the First World War. Edwardian buildings are grand and robustly modeled and have rich surface decoration. Favorite motifs include: cupolas or towers, imposing domes whose supports may be decorated with large ornamental brackets, and open balustrades with round headed and broken pediments. As the style advanced, reaction against the extremely rich elements resulted in a taste for stripped classicism, which was less ornate. In Edmonton, the Edwardian style was used almost exclusively for public and commercial buildings.

Characteristics

• Brick construction
    • Stone trims and accents
    • Exterior painted signs on non-residential buildings
    • Use of parapets and pediments
    • Pressed-metal cornices that extend the full width of the building

So... warehouse-y...
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

June 6 public hearing.
    www.decl.org

I hope it snows for the MCM team flying in. That'll be a laugh and a half. They couldn't beleive they had to do a winter shadow study... "so here we have... complete darkness".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12