Thread: Edmonton to continue FIFA 2026 bid process

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Edmonton to continue FIFA 2026 bid process

Edmonton to continue FIFA 2026 bid process
    January 23, 2018

Edmonton has committed to continue in the hunt for the 2026 FIFA World Cup. Council decided today to support Edmonton continuing as a candidate host city for the United Bid, a unique tri-country bid that brings together Canada, USA and Mexico.

“Being part of one of the world’s biggest sporting events is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Edmonton and we now need the provincial and federal governments to commit to the bid,” said Mayor Don Iveson. “A bid that unites three countries has never been tried at this level of international sport and it’s exciting for Edmonton to be part of that effort.”

The United Bid brings together North America in a unique partnership that will redefine the way global events can be held and focuses on building the game - not stadiums. The City will continue to work with Canada Soccer, the other Canadian candidate host cities, and provincial and federal governments, to further advance the bid. Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal are the other Canadian cities in the bid that currently features 31 cities.

The FIFA World Cup offers considerable legacy opportunities for Edmonton including $170 million (U.S.) in economic activity, an enhanced international reputation and significant community benefits that will continue to be developed as the city moves through the bid process, ensuring that benefits to Edmonton are maximized.

Based on the preliminary information provided by Canada Soccer, the estimated cost for a host city ranges between $35 million to $55 million, which includes a month-long fan festival, transportation and traffic management, marketing and communications, and staff to liaise with FIFA. Limited security costs would also be included, however, the four Canadian cities are seeking support from the federal government for the bulk of security.

The City of Edmonton will sign and submit the necessary hosting documents, conditional on federal and provincial support being secured, prior to the United Bid Committee (UBC) submitting its bid to FIFA on March 16, 2018. In June, FIFA Congress will decide if the UBC is successful. Morocco is the other lone competitor for the World Cup.

Media contact:
    Amy Wolski
    Brand Advisor
    Corporate Positioning
    780-465-0654
    www.edmonton.ca
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

Good to see - CoE supports sports tourism and this jives perfectly.

That plus it's eight years down the road!
    ... gobsmacked

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

The United 2026 bid book can be found here:

http://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news/...available.html

Really interesting to see the committees take on us and our competition.

If only we had the same sense as Vancouver...
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

i think i qualify as an "edmonton booster and supporter". i remember the commonwealth games being held here and was an early proponent of expo 2017 being held here.

but this is a lot different. even if we "win", what are we - as in edmonton - likely to get out of it?

if you read the bid, canada - not edmonton - will get 10 matches IN TOTAL. 7 of those will be group stage matches (and my guess is not featuring too many of the powerhouse countries in the final 4. as a country canada will get two round of 32 matches and one round of 16 match. those will be split between toronto, montreal and edmonton.

page 7 of the bid summary shows the location of the 23 cities including edmonton that are currently still part of the bid. anyone care to take a guess how many of them are on the eastern seaboard and how many of them have direct flights to edmonton? for those games we might get, who is really going to attend outside of those of us who already live here or live close to here? even if they might want to? the bid promises a minimum of 3 days between games. who from anywhere in the world trying to follow their team through the tournament will be able to get to and from edmonton to watch their team? mexico city to edmonton to nashville - or vice versa - is a hell of road trip to arrange at the last minute.

my guess is that we could purchase more tv time and get better exposure that we'll get by participating in this one. hell, my guess is that we could purchase more return air flights from cities that do have direct connections to edmonton and give the tickets away to people who promise to stay at least a week and we get way more actual tourists and much better pr for it. but what do i know...

maybe edmonton could display some leadership - or in this case at least be an earlier follower of vancouver's leadership - for montreal and toronto and leave first (or next)? why we keep throwing money at these one-off events that really only benefit the promoters and the participants is beyond me when we look at where else we could invest those funds supporting local and annual events that would see those monies stay in circulation here and showcase what we do here instead of what other cities do elsewhere.
    Last edited by kcantor; 27-03-2018 at 06:40 AM.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by realkevbo View Post
    The United 2026 bid book can be found here:

http://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news/...available.html

(...)
    Thanks for posting this. It made for some interesting morning reading.

One thing I am not clear on is the quote of $35-50 million per city in this bid, yet nothing on how this is prorated based on games / value. I read in an earlier Journal article that Toronto could be the epicentre of 3 to 5 games, and that came from a Journal article when Vancouver was still in it. One would have to assume that Montreal (given its size) would host more than one, and the assumption at that time would be the same for Vancouver. So, was it TO 5, MTL 2, VAN 2, EDM 1? Now is it TO 5, MTL 3, EDM 2?

...and no, I am not pooh poohing this...I am honestly asking to get a better sense of how the value is measured here in Edmonton. I see numbers of $170 million in returns, so is that measured on 2 games, 1 game, and the exposure during the lead in?
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

[QUOTE=kcantor;880289]i think i qualify as an "edmonton booster and supporter". i remember the commonwealth games being held here and was an early proponent of expo 2017 being held here.
    [QUOTE]

Expo 2017.

Top_Dawg almost forgot.

Thanks for the reminder.

We sure dodged a YUGE bullet there.

Would have gained nothing.

And been paying that fuckr off for the next hundred year.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

So, Global Edmonton had a report this am of a "potential" to host up to 4 games as a result of the drop by Vancouver.

Potential.

I'm curious as to why this joint bid hasn't figured this out already (Re:logistics) as it would determine the actual amount of facility upgrades, etc required...as well as flight concerns as mentioned above.

...or is this report just ultra-hopeful math based on 10 games and the belief that the larger outdoor capacity of Commonwealth is a game changer? No sources were quoted in the report...that I saw at least.

With 4 games, that leaves 6 for TO and MTL. 3 each potentially if equity is coming into play. This 4 games assumes that TO and MTL don't want an increased share, or that TO doesn't take its 5 games being the biggest and most accessible centre on the Canadian portion of our continent.

I'm curious as to what metrics actually count here?
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    So, Global Edmonton had a report this am of a "potential" to host up to 4 games as a result of the drop by Vancouver.

Potential.

I'm curious as to why this joint bid hasn't figured this out already (Re:logistics) as it would determine the actual amount of facility upgrades, etc required...as well as flight concerns as mentioned above.

...or is this report just ultra-hopeful math based on 10 games and the belief that the larger outdoor capacity of Commonwealth is a game changer? No sources were quoted in the report...that I saw at least.

With 4 games, that leaves 6 for TO and MTL. 3 each potentially if equity is coming into play. This 4 games assumes that TO and MTL don't want an increased share, or that TO doesn't take its 5 games being the biggest and most accessible centre on the Canadian portion of our continent.

I'm curious as to what metrics actually count here?

Plus more money to commonwealth stadium, plus plus plus..I sure hope its worth it!

C2E SME

Well it could be intetesting if it happens.

Regardless of who plays here, this event will draw a ton of people. It's the men's World Cup of soccer. I'm not a huge soccer fan but if Namibia was playing Turkey I'd go and watch the game live here. I'm sure many others would too. It's that big of a draw, never mind who's playing in Edmonton.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Feedback from FIFA on our city and bid.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4249438/e...GlobalEdmonton

C2E SME

I imagine that the hotel situation could improve in Downtown Edmonton by 2026, with the addition of the Marriott. I imagine, though, that Edmonton will need more.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

If I were truly interested in Edmonton, and Canada's, civic welfare, I'd not support this project at all.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I imagine that the hotel situation could improve in Downtown Edmonton by 2026, with the addition of the Marriott. I imagine, though, that Edmonton will need more.
    Concur. I expect 2-3 new 'top-tier' hotels by then.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Concur. I expect 2-3 new 'top-tier' hotels by then.
    That could very well be but the bid has to go in now and we don’t have enough hotels or air service.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

How many 'top-tier' hotels does FIFA require for a city to host the World Cup?

Edmonton will definitely not host the opening match or the quarter finals to Finals games. Commonwealth will be hosting games in the initial Group play.

The good news from the article:
    Because of Commonwealth Stadium’s central location, Edmonton fell in the “fair” to “good” category when FIFA looked at public transport capacity between city centres and the proposed stadiums.

FIFA noted some other cities — such as Boston, Dallas, Guadalajara, Kansas City and Los Angeles — have stadiums that are remote from their respective city centres, “with regular public transport services between the two generally insufficient.”

C2E SME

I read that this World Cup will feature 48 teams.

C2E SME

I'm sure that LRT will be a priority for Edmonton in the coming years, should Edmonton host a World Cup game.

C2E SME

United wins 2026 bid!

^Awesome! The atmosphere at Commonwealth Stadium and the city with be electric. Eights years to go to put a on a great show for the world Edmonton!!!
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Let's get the LRT to Heritage Valley NOW. Planning has to be begin now for such an extension to be built in the next 8 years...

The whole area south of Henday between Calgary Trail and Terwillegar is probably the densest area of Edmonton outside of Oliver....you want ridership...here's your ridership.
    A station at 41st ave SW is only a 10 min bus ride to the airport to pick up all the tourists. We're talking as fast as 40 minutes from Airport to DT using transit...would be a coup if we're trying to showcase our city.

Kill two birds with one stone imo.
    Last edited by B.ike; 13-06-2018 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    Let's get the LRT to Heritage Valley NOW. Planning has to be begin now for such an extension to be built in the next 8 years...

The whole area south of Henday between Calgary Trail and Terwillegar is probably the densest area of Edmonton outside of Oliver....you want ridership...here's your ridership.
    A station at 41st ave SW is only a 10 min bus ride to the airport to pick up all the tourists. We're talking as fast as 40 minutes from Airport to DT using transit...would be a coup if we're trying to showcase our city.

Kill two birds with one stone imo.
    Agreed.

Can we also do renovations to Central, Churchill, and Stadium LRT Stations so they don't look like such dumps?

Wonderful. Might be a great idea to revamp our lrt signalling, moving all those people around for this large scale event.

*hint hint*

FIFA won't actually pick the final host cities until 2020, Edmonton may not host at all

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1416878
    This clip does not show the wonderful impassioned speech by Alphonso Davies. To paraphrase “Edmonton welcomed me and they will welcome you given the chance “.
    Last edited by Glenco; 13-06-2018 at 03:04 PM.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Fonzie is no joke, as a Whitecaps STH I've had the pleasure of watching him the couple seasons and he is actually tearing the league apart. This past Saturday he had 1G and 3A and probably should of had more. He's had interest from Man U and Besiktas so it will be sad to see him go when he turns 18 but it's probably best for his development. I would put him down as our captain in 2026.

I’m mostly curious was kinds of things we would need to spend on Commonwealth (beyond temporarily putting real grass) and around the city to get up to FIFA World Cup host city standards?

Take the estimates on the improvements to be on the low side and the payoff estimates to be on the high end.

Edmonton could host 4 soccer matches if United 2026 FIFA bid selected

Edmonton could have a leg up to host the most matches because Commonwealth Stadium has the largest outdoor stadium capacity in Canada.

However, if the bid is chosen, the nearly 40-year-old building would need some major upgrades.

“Everything from washrooms to, yes, there is a turf issue,” Iveson said. “But we are hopeful that most of the investments that would be required — potentially a second jumbo screen, for example — those would be things that would be legacies for all of the other users in the long-term of the stadium.”

Commonwealth wouldn’t be the only facility to receive some improvements.

“There are requirements around training facilities which could lead to some upgrades and may even solve the mid-sized stadium question for us,” Iveson said.

---

During a January meeting, city councillors heard hosting part of the event could cost between $35 million and $55 million. But there would be a big payoff.

“The preliminary estimates of the economic spinoff are around US$170 million to the host city,” Councillor Tim Cartmell said on Jan. 14.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4109267/e...p-soccer-2026/

I wish a hotelier would build on the north end of the stadium along 12ave. There’s just enough room I’d say for a hotel. Make it 15 floors high or more with lots of windows looking out over the stadium. Lounge, restaurant etc.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ That'd be neat.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

It would be neat, but let's face it, that area is a slum. A lot of work would have to be done all along stadium road if we want to look good on TV. The first thing that's gotta go is that ugly cement factory.

Isn't much of that area planned for redevelopment anyways? Although I guess maybe not by 2026. Either way I think we have some nice views of the stadium with downtown in the background as is.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The Stadium area has improved lately what with the addition of the Edgewater towers/development. Redevelopment is pending as Brookfield is serviceng the previous Muttart land area as wee speak.

I don't believe the muttart project includes the cement factory.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

No, its across the LRT tracks at Stadium Station. I go by it just about every day.

Don't kid yourself. If Edmonton gets to host games here, which I think is likely, there will be many improvements made around the stadium, around downtown and with the transit system. There's no way there wouldn't be money put into this.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post
    Don't kid yourself. If Edmonton gets to host games here, which I think is likely, there will be many improvements made around the stadium, around downtown and with the transit system. There's no way there wouldn't be money put into this.
    I can't see 4 games being justification for LRT to YEG, but maybe? Regardless, the city couldn't get that organized and built in under 8 years, guaranteed.

It's huge to host the World Cup in our city. Likely the biggest sporting event we'll ever be able to host. But let's keep in mind it's only 3 or 4 games before we start planning huge upgrades and infrastructure projects. I would imagine the Stampede hosts more out of town visitors than 3 or 4 games would in our city.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ In total agreement with your first sentenance.

I find it interesting that the Brookfield/Muttart site is being serviced with infrustructure close to the FIFA announcement.

Maybe the city couldn't get organized/build under 8 years, but what about private industry? Such as what's going on now with Brookfield across the street East of Stadium. Perhaps Brookfield/COE could partner something like a phase 2 of Brookfield/Muttart where Stadium park n ride is. Any Brooklielf/phase phase 2 might include a city TOD. But that seems like over the top musing on my part. For what just a handfull of games?

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post
    I can't see 4 games being justification for LRT to YEG, but maybe? Regardless, the city couldn't get that organized and built in under 8 years, guaranteed.It's huge to host the World Cup in our city. Likely the biggest sporting event we'll ever be able to host. But let's keep in mind it's only 3 or 4 games before we start planning huge upgrades and infrastructure projects. I would imagine the Stampede hosts more out of town visitors than 3 or 4 games would in our city.
    I guess we'll have to wait and see. There were some big upgrades made to the stadium when we hosted the World Track & Field Championship in 2001. And 99th was upgraded too. Like IanO said, there will most likely be a few more hotels built downtown as well.

Like you've said, this is a bigger deal than the Track Championships were.

And I also agree with the city not being organized to get things done. That concerns me.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I remember that event very well. That blue line on parts of the payvment stayed around a long time after that.

C2E SME

I think it would be great to see the food choices expanded at Commonwealth. Take a look at Mosaic Stadium:

https://www.riderville.com/concession-map/

We all know the World Cup is the biggest sporting event in the world, comparable to the Summer Olympics. But I didn't realize it is that big.

I am amazed fans from poorer nations would travel to Russia to watch a soccer match. The last 3 days I've seen whole sections of fans from Iran, Peru, and Mexico fill the Russian stadiums. Thousands of them from nations who don't stand a chance to make the knockout round.

If this what to expect if Edmonton hosts some games in 2026, I will be super hyped!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That's be dope for sure and I'm not a soccer fan.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    We all know the World Cup is the biggest sporting event in the world, comparable to the Summer Olympics. But I didn't realize it is that big.

I am amazed fans from poorer nations would travel to Russia to watch a soccer match. The last 3 days I've seen whole sections of fans from Iran, Peru, and Mexico fill the Russian stadiums. Thousands of them from nations who don't stand a chance to make the knockout round.

If this what to expect if Edmonton hosts some games in 2026, I will be super hyped!
    Absolutely. North America has been in its own sporting bubble for so long. The beautiful game is truly the world's game. Bring it on.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

If we get any games here, every single game will be sold to capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post

You'll have to be really fast to get a ticket! Let alone more than one!

I think soccer sucks, but I'd be happy to see a sport event of this scale here.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    I think soccer sucks, but I'd be happy to see a sport event of this scale here.
    I love soccer, my granddaughter plays..

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post

The WC sure see's huge contingents of fans coming to see it. But heres the Rub. Most WC's the venues are very close and even often in the same City or metropolitan area meaning that people could come and watch all the matches of their home side and whoever else they are interested in and not have to face huge ongoing travel costs to do that. Even in the Russia WC its feasible as all the Venues are in the Euro part of Russia so not interminable distances apart.

But Canada/US/Mexico is a game changer. This one will not be a visitor friendly tournament at all. It will be difficult for fans of any side to see more than 1 match of their home side and they need to travel extensively just to see 2-3 games. A lot of people are going to be less inclined to do that. The diehards, yes, but not the whole pack. This is one of the unspoken problems of this WC bid. Geographically its without precedent. Theres a very real chance that the WC atmosphere is largely missing at some cities/venues and depending on which nations the venue is hosting.

Canada with 10 matches in total is more likely to be kind of a WC experience. Not a typical one at all.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

You'd be surprised. Obviously a Canada game will sellout quickly. Any match with a premium side will have a better chance of selling out.

But Iran vs Australia? Think again.

The best thing we could really hope for is that we get thrown one Canada match and a couple dog matches. With 48 teams in the majority of the matches are dog matches anyway. The WC is watering itself down badly. Today for instance Sweden vs Korea was pretty much unwatchable for most viewers. The WC going from 32 -48 teams basically means 16 more weak calibre sides. In any given year there are about a dozen strong WC sides. Around 4-8 that even have a chance of winning. The chance of Canada seeing any of those is remote. Those games will be in bigger markets with more revenue.

Also realize that even Mexico, a football mad nation will warrant getting better games than Canada will, in all likelihood.

The very real possibility is that the Brazil vs Canada friendly played at Commonwealth decades ago remains one of the greatest matches ever played here.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Over 120,000 Iranians live in Canada over 30,000 fans from Iceland went to Russia to support their team. Australians are also great travelers as are football fans world wide. The tickets will sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Over 120,000 Iranians live in Canada over 30,000 fans from Iceland went to Russia to support their team. Australians are also great travelers as are football fans world wide. The tickets will sell.

Spread out matches is not the same. If one game by an Iceland team is in Edmonton, Washington DC, and Mexico how many people you think are going to be getting out to go to 3 far off places in just over a week instead of one. Again that's the problem with this continent wide format of host. The costs to football tourists would be prohibitive as well as all the time spent travelling from one far off place to another. Theres been not other world cup like this prospective one. You do know all teams are spread out right? There are no host locations for teams at the WC typically.

Next, if international fans cut out one game from their itinerary far off Edmonton with poor flight connections is the first they will think about not bothering to attend. We like to think different but that would be the reality. Geographically we're the least likely far off outpost people will go to. The first thoughts of people will be maximizing games without having to travel too far.

How did they do it for the Women's World Cup a few years ago in Canada?

Team Canada played games in Edmonton, Ottawa, Montreal (I think). But that is obvious because you want the host country to spread their national team to all parts of Canada.

But for the most part, all teams within a certain Group played in a certain region. Team USA played most of their games in Winnipeg. Team China played most of their games in Edmonton.

You'll expect the 2026 WC will have a similar format. In the opening round Teams in Group D, for example, may play most of their matches in Edmonton.

Actually, by having Vancouver not taking part in 2026 will be troublesome for Edmonton. Unless Seattle or Minnesota is a host city, Commonwealth Stadium will be an outpost compared to the other North American cities.

I'm guessing most of the tickets would be sold locally anyway. And by "locally" I mean within a few hours flight. Most of those Iranian fans will come from Canada and the US, not Iran. The same for every other country.

^The same fans that don't attend any of the previous incarnations of soccer here in Edmonton? As the Fath brothers and every other Soccer owner ever in Edmonton has discovered is that having a multiethnic city that one would expect would support soccer in no way means that those people are attending at all.

Now that said maybe different for WC but I still think if they are non profile matches still a tough sell depending on sticker price. Presuming this would be expensive. Whether the tickets are expensive or not just being one of the hosts is prohibitively expensive. For around 3 games. Lets say the worse scenario estimate ensues where being a host costs Edmonton 50M. Even if every game sells out for 150k attendance total that's a huge subsidy/tickets sold.

Build a lasting thing like the Gondola instead that actually benefits residents.

You can't even begin to compare the Canadian Premier League with World Cup Soccer. I've never been to an FC Edmonton game but would jump at the chance to see Holland play at Commonwealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post

Spread out matches is not the same. If one game by an Iceland team is in Edmonton, Washington DC, and Mexico how many people you think are going to be getting out to go to 3 far off places in just over a week instead of one. Again that's the problem with this continent wide format of host. The costs to football tourists would be prohibitive as well as all the time spent travelling from one far off place to another. Theres been not other world cup like this prospective one. You do know all teams are spread out right? There are no host locations for teams at the WC typically.

Next, if international fans cut out one game from their itinerary far off Edmonton with poor flight connections is the first they will think about not bothering to attend. We like to think different but that would be the reality. Geographically we're the least likely far off outpost people will go to. The first thoughts of people will be maximizing games without having to travel too far.
    We definitely need better connections having said that any fans coming from Europe fly over us on the way to the west coast and fans from Asia heading to the Midwest and est coast fly over us. Not really so far flung. In all likelihood we will be clustered with west coast cities such as Seattle LA and Denver where we do have flight connections.

You can't even begin to compare the Canadian Premier League with World Cup Soccer. I've never been to an FC Edmonton game but would jump at the chance to see Holland play at Commonwealth.
    Hopefully they qualify when 48 teams get in.

We're talking eight years out. I'd sure hope air connections are considerably better by then!
    ... gobsmacked