Thread: Can you report excessively noisy vehicles?

Angry Can you report excessively noisy vehicles?

Note: I wasn't sure what sub-forum to put this in so here it is...

I know police typically have to "catch" someone in the act, but isn't there some kind of enforcement when they look into something? My neighborhood has a few loud vehicles but two pickup trucks in particular who are over the top. They are brand new trucks, lifted, aftermarket lights, custom paint etc, and have the loudest exhaust system I've ever heard. It's likely not even a proper exhaust and just straight pipes. The one guy I've seen slowly upgrade his truck from stock and can now be heard from blocks away.

The biggest gripe is that he drives around in residential areas and floors it, all the time, to make his truck roar loudly. It's very obviously on purpose and happens all day, late at night and VERY early morning. It rattles my windows!! I've never seen him take a turn or start from a stop with moderate acceleration, it's always pedal to the floor... He'll even make it roar, then take his foot off the gas so he slows down so that he can floor it again and again...

I don't care if someone wants to compensate for their manhood on the highway or main arteries, but NOT in your own neighborhood! Especially at night!

Can this be reported to anyone? I highly doubt the police will do anything, and I'm wondering if anyone will even waste their time unless they catch him in the act...

Try phoning 311 and run it by them. It could be something a by-law officer could look into. Not sure if you can phone by-law directly or if you have to go through 311.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Try phoning 311 and run it by them. It could be something a by-law officer could look into. Not sure if you can phone by-law directly or if you have to go through 311.
    But what will they do? Can they actually go to his house and make him rev up his truck to hear it themselves?

Not sure how by-law would handle it. Maybe go and knock on a few doors in the area and ask people if the vehicle is loud. I am not a mechanic but maybe if they look at the vehicle they might find the enhancements on it are not legal. It's a noise complaint and by-law will treat it as such. I don't think they will ignore a phone call about it.

They won't do jack. I have the same problem with a new neighbour and his Harley. Loudest bike in the north central area. And he's the type that starts it up and rev's it for 10 minutes in the alley while putting his helmet on, then does the same thing as OP - rips full-throttle down the residential street, while intentionally braking just to rev up again. I called the cops in the fall and they wouldn't do a thing.

311 and EPS are useless in this regard.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I'd rather C2E than work!

They don't do anything, we told McKeen and he did nothing,as usual..

I did see that page already in the link, but again, that doesn't mean they'll actually do anything about it. And I've never heard of a cop pulling over a car or truck to measure the sound. Hell, I never even heard of them pulling over a motorcycle either. All they did was setup that station where people could come and measure their bikes dB level...

I'd rather C2E than work!

Since he's revving it and driving it around to make the noise, EPS would likely consider that a stunting fine (which is more serious than the noise complaint). Your best bet is to go into whatever your local station is and report it there as a STUNTING complaint first, and a NOISE complaint second. That'll likely get the best response. Since you say he does it on a regular basis, keep track of it for a week or two and go in with those dates and times in hand, as they'll take the complaint more seriously.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    They won't do jack. I have the same problem with a new neighbour and his Harley. Loudest bike in the north central area. And he's the type that starts it up and rev's it for 10 minutes in the alley while putting his helmet on, then does the same thing as OP - rips full-throttle down the residential street, while intentionally braking just to rev up again. I called the cops in the fall and they wouldn't do a thing.

311 and EPS are useless in this regard.
    This is probably what will happen. 311 about as use full as an ash tray on a motor bike. EPS, well maybe loud vehicles are just not as interesting as taking down gang bangers.

Yeah I put in a request months ago to have the city come break up the ice on the street because the catch basin was frozen solid, and the street kept flooding and turning into a giant ice sheet. Several months, nothing happened. Then recently they updated is as "No action required". NO KIDDING, because it snowed like mad! I'm guessing they went through ALL the open tickets that had "ice" in it and just cleared them off the board after all the snow fell...