Thread: All encompassing recreational cannabis discussion

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Default All encompassing recreational cannabis discussion

With the upcoming legalization of recreational marijuana in Canada, what locations have you seen or heard about opening in Edmonton and other cities in Alberta. What have your experiences with dispensaries in other cities been like? I am really curious to see what the rules for retail stores will be, what kind of products they carry and their prices. What have you heard? What have you seen? What do you know?

Letís get the conversation started as itís happening whether we like it or not.

All encompassing recreational cannabis discussion:

In four words....................Let's all get stoned.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

/subbed

Also if anyone needs expert consultations in the field of Cannabis holler at me
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    /subbed

Also if anyone needs expert consultations in the field of Cannabis holler at me
    Iím sure lots of places will eventually be hiring butenders.

C2E SME

Yup. Seems like everyone I know thought they were going to be millionaires from their pot stocks. Which was all the evidence I needed to stay the hell away. Same goes with bitcoin.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post

Let’s get the conversation started as it’s happening whether we like it or not.
    But the question is, WHEN? As I've posted on another weed thread, Trudeau said last year that the July 1st deadline was a myth(I'm still not clear how that myth got started), and now the government is saying that full implementation won't be until late summer, and even that is assuming it passes through the Senate in time.

What if, and this could happen, the law is not past this year. We are coming up to a Federal election next year. Could it be possible it's not past before an election. There is great chance Trudeau will not get elected. Does the bill still go through parliament or will it be stopped by a new administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    What if, and this could happen, the law is not past this year. We are coming up to a Federal election next year. Could it be possible it's not past before an election. There is great chance Trudeau will not get elected. Does the bill still go through parliament or will it be stopped by a new administration.
    If it doesn't pass in due time, what happens to all the businesses and provincial governments who have been making arrangements for production and distribution? Am I corect in assuming that, in provinces where they're planning to sell it in government stores separate from liqour stores, that none of the land for these stores has yet been purchased? It would kinda suck if you bought all the real-estate to open marijuana shops, and then the feds turn around and say "Oh, uh, actually, we're not gonna be doing this quite as soon as we had hoped."

If the bill for the legalization of pot is in motion can it be stopped if another party is elected or does it still have to proceed through the system until completion?.
    There are a lot of businesses that have invested money into this but is there a chance with another administration that the bill could be stopped. That is what I am getting at.

I'd rather C2E than work!

^^ Business risk. Tough titties. Probably see corporate hands out for gov't. compensation. You know, from the entrpreneurials who don't like gov't. intervention at any other time. Anyway, it's a bit premature to be going along those lines yet.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Well I'm hoping Tater Tot does not get re-elected just on the basis of making marijuana legal. Then I will get stoned. Possibly for days on end.

^ I'll agree with you there, Gem.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Just a side comment but regardless of whether the bill will pass or not there will be enough problems in the marijuana industry just due to a delay of passing.

July 1 was an odd time in the first place in that it limits one growth year. Many growers (including those at home) will be going with green house operations reliant a lot on solar growing. So that first harvest and in some cases first year is lost in those operations. I also think the standard greenhouses might be the best low overhead cost play in providing crops. But those operators will be hurt with a delayed bill. As will operations that are much more intensive and with indoor lighting. So much investment, and at increasingly greater cost (an out of control speculative market has pushed up facility accrual costs as well as merger costs) and a delay is going to obviously result in a thud to some of these ventures. Some will pull the plug. Probably more than was thought.

A related concern is that prices on every domestic grown flower, plant, vegetable of any type will go up appreciably in Canada due to marijuana market speculation, greenhouse accrual, and shift in operations. With marijuana being seen as a more lucrative play (its a very high risk play) many operations are being switched over. Far too many for the market in Canada.

So look forward to even higher priced greenhouse vegetables, bedding plants, flowers. An unintended cost that is hardly being talked about.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^Not sure how that plays out regarding greenhouses that grow flowers, veg etc. I am sure they have put limits on how many facilities get licences. I know there is the greenhouse plant being built YEG but have not seen it. If it is an all round facility I should imagine it will have solar panels and generators to switch over to other forms of heat. Growing marijuana is a 24 hour production although I do believe that cutting light to the plant a couple of hours a day gives it a rest. Marijuana needs light, warmth and humidity to grow. If like you say the bill is delayed operators may have to start ramping up their production in mid winter. On the other hand the facility outside the YEG may have a licence to start production right away because I believe it has been authorised to grow medical marijuana.
    Last edited by Gemini; 07-02-2018 at 12:45 PM.

^The first wave of facilities we were hearing about were high cost hitech facilities. The all year facilities. But there's since been a proliferation of places switching over from greenhouse operations to marijuana grow operations. Some of these being simple seasonal operations that could maybe supplant to more than that but which in this climate would mean considerable heating and utility costs. Myself I like the idea of 3 seasons greenhouse operations that shut down in the winter months and that have at least two doable crop cycles. Just speaking from my own experience having built a greenhouse in the yard theres not much cost benefit, in Canada, about trying to use such facilities in winter months.

Part of the speculation has also involved operators that already have approval, or expect to get it, obtaining additional grow facilities. Its a typical gold rush industry right now. So much speculation, guessing, accrual. If I was an investor my plays would involve more in focusing on firms that supply the industry rather than ones that are the Marijuana industry. For instance solar panel manufacturers, grow light manufacturers, hydroponic suppliers and so on. I think purchase of materials happens in anycase so that those are boom industries right now. Even if very little pot ends up being grown.

Hey the flipside might be Canada having an excess of grow operations a year or two from now and having better and cheaper tomatoes, plants, flowers. heh.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Another factor that gets missed is that people are going to be allowed to grow a limited number of plants in their own facility (homes). If that's the case maybe not as much will get sold as they think. Could be a little hobby like wine making and beer making right on your own doorstep.

Another factor that gets missed is that people are going to be allowed to grow a limited number of plants in their own facility (homes). If that's the case maybe not as much will get sold as they think. Could be a little hobby like wine making and beer making right on your own doorstep.
    For the same reasons you cite I always expect that this part of the legislation won't come to pass. I was always suspect of the intent to allow people to grow some plants on their own. I expect this or any other govt will find anyway to repeal that. I think it should be allowed, (in secure locked shed or greenhouse) I don't think it will be ultimately.

I'm not a smoker at all but I have arthritis and I would at least experiment with a couple plants and who knows, some brownies... I dunno. I'd see if it reduces pain at all. I would look into variants that offer more of that quality, vs a stone. You can get that now. Some plants that have more analgesic (for lack of better term) than psychoactive effect.

^Oh I am going to be optimistic and think the government will let people grow a limited amount of plants in their garden. In fact, some people probably have a head start on that. If you are interested in trying marijuana for your arthritis it might pay you in the future to buy some from a licenced outlet. They will tell you what blends have the least hallucinogenic effects. They do that for children (and adults) you suffer certain conditions. Grow a crop that is more for pain than tripping.

From the weed thread in Minicipal politics.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Many Canadians would be very plssed off if it was scrapped, and many of them don't smoke weed. They own shares in Marijuana companies on the stock market. I don't think it would be wise for the PC's, and senators to tamper with the legislation, we have already passed the point of no return.
    Well, I know that compared to, say, ten years ago, marijuana stocks are doing a lot better now. But, what does that translate into, in terms of how many voters would actually own stock in the companies?

My 93 year old grandmother has cannabis stock. My neighbour does, my former boss does, my parents do, my brother does, my friends do... I guarantee you that hundreds of thousands of Canadians have money in cannabis stock.

Wow, rock on grandma.

My 93 year old grandmother has cannabis stock. My neighbour does, my former boss does, my parents do, my brother does, my friends do... I guarantee you that hundreds of thousands of Canadians have money in cannabis stock.
    They shouldn't unless they like high risk, highly speculative trading. Marijuana stocks equal bitcoin stocks to that extent. Its a lot of tulipmania. Marijuana stocks in Canada is the very definition of production in that only current suppliers are producing anything and that the market of course requires legalization to be at all viable.

I think most people that got into marijuana stocks are not the most seasoned investors unless they got in very early on ground level plays. Anybody buying a pot stock now would probably just be a bad idea at currently maxed prices. Albeit the markets are plummeting. Some of the latest culprits of that being bitcoin and pot stock garbage.

^To early to tell on those stocks. It's like anything on the stock market. Can go up, can go down due to many factors. It's holding onto stocks that usually get the best returns. Hold onto those marijuana stocks and I'm sure people will profit. It's a question of how long they will wait.
    Last edited by Gemini; 09-02-2018 at 05:56 PM.

^I'm always wary of stocks that are bought and sold on the basis of speculative assessment ONLY, and where actual production isn't occurring. That is the definition of a speculative stock.

Plus we know that Liberal govts have failed to legalize Pot since Trudeaus dad.

I dunno, I'll believe it when it comes to pass. I don't hold a lot of stock in what liberals do, excuse pun.

It is not very often that an entire new industry is born and traded on the stock market. The Marijuana stocks were all penny stocks when they were introduced on the stock market. The level of risk is extremely low if you bought stocks when they were cheap, the ones dealing with risk are the ones that recently purchased stocks after hearing about the incredible gains those stocks have made.
    Last edited by ThomasH; 09-02-2018 at 06:14 PM.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    ^I'm always wary of stocks that are bought and sold on the basis of speculative assessment ONLY, and where actual production isn't occurring. That is the definition of a speculative stock.

Plus we know that Liberal govts have failed to legalize Pot since Trudeaus dad.

I dunno, I'll believe it when it comes to pass. I don't hold a lot of stock in what liberals do, excuse pun.
    I can understand your distrust in a Liberal government but if this bill is not passed they will be on their knees. I think it is the younger generation driving this bill. I'm not sure how many seniors out there really care one way or another about it but when they pass on it will be the generations behind them left to vote. If the bill falls through it will be these future generations who will remember that Liberals talk the talk but don't walk the walk. There is more than we think riding on this.

A Girl Scout sold 300 boxes of cookies in 6 hours — by setting up near a legal marijuana shop

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...a-legalization
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

It is not very often that an entire new industry is born and traded on the stock market. The Marijuana stocks were all penny stocks when they were introduced on the stock market. The level of risk is extremely low if you bought stocks when they were cheap, the ones dealing with risk are the ones that recently purchased stocks after hearing about the incredible gains those stocks have made.
    Yep.

That's why I said that if you bought in at ground level penny stock that was a reasonable risk/reward play. Nobody getting in at these prices has the same valuation prospects.

They shouldn't unless they like high risk, highly speculative trading. Marijuana stocks equal bitcoin stocks to that extent. Its a lot of tulipmania. Marijuana stocks in Canada is the very definition of production in that only current suppliers are producing anything and that the market of course requires legalization to be at all viable.

I think most people that got into marijuana stocks are not the most seasoned investors unless they got in very early on ground level plays. Anybody buying a pot stock now would probably just be a bad idea at currently maxed prices. Albeit the markets are plummeting. Some of the latest culprits of that being bitcoin and pot stock garbage.
    Actually granny has bought and sold online along with the recent ups and downs in the market and is probably up to $150,000 since buying her first cannabis stocks last fall.

In regards to others, as long as we are paying attention and buying and selling at the right time, Iím not remotely worried. Iíve made significant coin so far since buying my first pot stocks last fall. As more world markets open up for medical and recreational marijuana use, Canadaís growers are ready to take full advantage.
    Last edited by etownboarder; 09-02-2018 at 08:30 PM.

Bitcoin is to the Edmonton Oilers as cannabis stocks are to the Winnipeg Jets.

Actually granny has bought and sold online along with the recent ups and downs in the market and is probably up to $150,000 since buying her first cannabis stocks last fall.

In regards to others, as long as we are paying attention and buying and selling at the right time, I’m not remotely worried. I’ve made significant coin so far since buying my first pot stocks last fall. As more world markets open up for medical and recreational marijuana use, Canada’s growers are ready to take full advantage.
    Canadian weed could be become as internationally known as cigars and rum are to Cuba.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post

Bitcoin is to the Edmonton Oilers as cannabis stocks are to the Winnipeg Jets.
    I don't pay attention to hockey. What does this mean, in terms of the team's respective standings at the present time?

I don't know a whole lot about hockey, even less about Bitcoin.

What concerned me today though, while sat at a red light on Ellerslie Rd. and Parsons Rd., was the stoner in the SUV alongside me chuffing away on a joint. He had the window down the obligatory couple of inches in the vain hope, I suppose, of not stinking up his vehicle.

He was, however, stinking up my vehicle even though my windows were firmly closed - the stench coming in via my heater vents. Next time wear a diving helmet, you douche.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Canadian weed could be become as internationally known as cigars and rum are to Cuba.
    It already is. Canada already supplies much of the global marketplace.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/medi...port-1.4470407
    Giving less of a damn than everÖ Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    I don't know a whole lot about hockey, even less about Bitcoin.

What concerned me today though, while sat at a red light on Ellerslie Rd. and Parsons Rd., was the stoner in the SUV alongside me chuffing away on a joint. He had the window down the obligatory couple of inches in the vain hope, I suppose, of not stinking up his vehicle.

He was, however, stinking up my vehicle even though my windows were firmly closed - the stench coming in via my heater vents. Next time wear a diving helmet, you douche.
    He was probably listening to 'I don't like Mondays' on his radio as well.

^ Or 'Rainy Days and Sundays'.

... oops, should have been 'Mondays'.
    Last edited by howie; 12-02-2018 at 12:14 PM.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Let's all get Stoned - Joe Cocker

Iím quite ok with legalization.

However, no one is going to smoke it in my house. The smell is only marginally acceptable to me and a lot of it ranks up there as stench to me.

Also, I wonít buy a heavily smoked in house, whether itís tobacco or marijuana.

I figure a lot of people will smoke it outside, but expect neighbours to complain.

That said, the edibles may capture a fair bit of market share.
    Last edited by KC; 12-02-2018 at 09:22 PM.

I know a lot of people who smoke on their walk with the dog or on the walk home from the LRT after work. Others who only consume in their detached garage. Not a whole lot is going to change with legalization. Itís not going to suddenly triple or anything. Consumption is expected to grow by about 20% in total. It is also expected to go from a 90% illegally purchased market to a 85% legally purchased market within only a few years (despite higher costs for the product). Currently the 94% illegal market is worth about $6.5 annually. The equivalent in the 85% legal market is worth about $9.5B without the additional 20% growth projected by 2021 added. That doesnít include opening of markets worldwide to what will be a well seasoned, well marketed, and high quality products grown right here in our own back yard. Canada is ready for medical and recreational cannabis legalization worldwide and the money to be made is HUGE.

I think a lot of middle aged people will try pot for a wide range of ailments. Sore backs, insomnia, tension, pains, relaxation, glaucoma, MS, etc. Middle age people who maybe tried stuff from the health store that didn't quite help them. Middle aged people who would not go to a dealer but would go to a reputable place of business to buy it.
    A lot of that age group think there is a stigma around drug dealers (well there is) so would not use them. Legalizing it, to them, gives it some respectability. It will take a while for word to get out but I'm sure there are a whole whack of people who will try it for their ailments and if it works will keep buying.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Iím quite ok with legalization.

However, no one is going to smoke it in my house. The smell is only marginally acceptable to me and a lot of it ranks up there as stench to me.

Also, I wonít buy a heavily smoked in house, whether itís tobacco or marijuana.

I figure a lot of people will smoke it outside, but expect neighbours to complain.

That said, the edibles may capture a fair bit of market share.

I see a lot of this happening...https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mystery...-opp-1.3801521

Or this...http://wnep.com/2018/01/19/fifth-gra...ies-at-school/

Senate set to vote on legal marijuana bill by June 7 after deal reached with Tories

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/02/15/sena...eached-tories/

Senate set to vote on legal marijuana bill by June 7 after deal reached with Tories

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/02/15/sena...eached-tories/
    Interesting. The Globe is reporting the same story with a glass-half-empty spin...

HEADLINE: "Federal government still not ready to launch marijuana legalization"

But they're still basically saying that legal weed will be here by August or September. By the astronomical reckoning, the government has until Sept. 21st to keep their promise of legalization by summer.

The Globe also tries to portray this as a dial-back from the July 1st promise, even though Trudeau has already said that he never promised July 1st.
    Last edited by overoceans; 16-02-2018 at 08:18 AM.

Giving less of a damn than everÖ Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    From the framework:

"There will also be no consumption of cannabis at any cannabis retail outlets."

So this means that there will be no "cannabis bars", akin to booze bars, where you can buy and consume in the same place? It seems to me that having more people smoking in a desinginated, regulated area would mean less people smoking in places where they shouldn't.

I'm guessing/hoping that things like hash bars & vape lounges are part of the second phase of legislation along with edibles.

e: Yep!

Though cannabis cafes and lounges will not be permitted on July 1, 2018, the legislation also gives the authority to regulate these forms of establishments should government decide to allow them at a later date
    Last edited by noodle; 16-02-2018 at 11:04 AM.

C2E SME

I wonder how that will work with occupational health and safety legislation, though. Cannabis smoke is nowhere near as carcinogenic as tobacco smoke, but that being said, you can make the same or similar arguments about worker safety in cannabis lounges as you could in bars where smoking was permitted. Personally I'm in favor of cannabis lounges and think that the banning of smoking in outdoor spaces is as much of a moral panic as it is a health issue, but there's some hurdles to clear there.

Pot doesnít have to be smoked. It could be offered in the form of edibles. Imagine licensed restaurants selling cannabis infused meals or a pot ďbarĒ where you can sit at a table and use a big vaporizer of some kind instead. Lots of possibilities.

On another note. Any thoughts on how companies like Shoppersí Drug Mart/Loblaws pharmacies will offer medicinal cannabis given they sell actual prescription drugs? Iím not sure Iíve seen anything indicating how medicinal cannabis dispensaries will operate.

Quote from the provincial framework:

Though cannabis cafes and lounges will not be permitted on July 1, 2018, the legislation also gives the authority to regulate these forms of establishments should government decide to allow them at a later date
    Well, obviously cannabis cafes and lounges will not be permitted on July 1 2018, since NO FORM of legalized recreactional cannabis has ever been promised for July 1 2018.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quoti...m?CMP=mstatcan

The results of this study indicate that cannabis use more than doubled from 1985 (5.6%) to 2015 (12.3%) among Canadians aged 15 years and older. The results are based on several national surveys including the Canadian Tobacco, Alcohol and Drugs Survey (CTADS), the Canadian Tobacco Use Monitoring Survey (CTUMS) and the 1985 Health Promotion Survey. Each survey asked about past-year cannabis use and had target populations that included youth and adults in every province.
    Trends for 2004 to 2015, for which the data from CTUMS and CTADS were most comparable, suggest that past-year cannabis use differed by age group and sex. During this period, use remained stable among 15 to 17 year old males, but decreased among 15 to 17 year old females and 18 to 24 year olds (both sexes). Use increased during this period among people aged 25 or older.