Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Enbridge Tower - 10201 Jasper Ave. - 300 room hotel (2 hotels) - under construction

C2E Continued Contributor

That attic penthouse unit has a lot of potential.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I kind of wish they'd make it a lounge for guests, maybe with a snack outdoor space. That'd be pretty unique.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    I kind of wish they'd make it a lounge for guests, maybe with a snack outdoor space. That'd be pretty unique.
    Great idea but open to the public as well will ensure it’s viability. Could be a specialty restaurant as well.

C2E SME

It looks pretty good. I wonder what will fill that really big space fronting Jasper ave?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    It looks pretty good. I wonder what will fill that really big space fronting Jasper ave?
    Restaurant or bar probably. Can’t imagine anything else.

^Ya it is huge, but most-likely they'll want a restaurant/bar for hotel guests.
    www.decl.org

C2E Long Term Contributor

Far too large for one food/bev user in all likelihood. I would love to see something new to Downtown there, perhaps a national brand.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Far too large for one food/bev user in all likelihood. I would love to see something new to Downtown there, perhaps a national brand.
    National brand? Like?

Could that be a good location for a downtown Keg?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I love the Keg! Not sure if one would open there based on the distance to the one opening in the Brewery District/Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Boy View Post
    I love the Keg! Not sure if one would open there based on the distance to the one opening in the Brewery District/Oliver.
    Cara bought out the Keg last year and the quality has gone to the dogs. I've been going there my entire adult life and I can testify the food and service are nowhere how they used to be. Sure they have the same dishes...but they are not cooked properly nor do they have the same taste. We went there (Windermere) location for my wife's Christmas party. It was atrocious. Food was so lackluster out of a table of 15,10 people had complaints. No word of a lie...we didn't see a single server for 30 min...no water refills etc. We went back 2 weeks later because we were given Keg gift certificates for Christmas. We went back to the Windermere location and sat in the lounge this time. Food was not good at all...very bland tasting steaks and both were not cooked to our liking. The manager actually noticed our displeasure and came over to enquire. He realized the problem and actually comped the meals. The service was good during this visit tho. This is only the last 2 visits. I could go on, but i won't.

I have never, ever had a bad experience. It is one of the rare restaurants where my mashed potatoes come out hot. Never been to the Windermere location.

If that’s true that’s really unfortunate. Kegs whole basis of popularity is it’s amazing consistency regardless of location. Fancy steakhouses come and go but with Keg you know however and whatever type of steak you like is going to be done properly.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
    Cara bought out the Keg last year and the quality has gone to the dogs. I've been going there my entire adult life and I can testify the food and service are nowhere how they used to be. Sure they have the same dishes...but they are not cooked properly nor do they have the same taste. We went there (Windermere) location for my wife's Christmas party. It was atrocious. Food was so lackluster out of a table of 15,10 people had complaints. No word of a lie...we didn't see a single server for 30 min...no water refills etc. We went back 2 weeks later because we were given Keg gift certificates for Christmas. We went back to the Windermere location and sat in the lounge this time. Food was not good at all...very bland tasting steaks and both were not cooked to our liking. The manager actually noticed our displeasure and came over to enquire. He realized the problem and actually comped the meals. The service was good during this visit tho. This is only the last 2 visits. I could go on, but i won't.
    Never had a bad experience either.....always sit in the lounge at South Common or the old Strathcona one. If it has gone to crap, not surprised - Cara is notorious for using the same product throughout all of their restaurants. So the 8oz top sirloin that Milestone uses - the Keg will use the same as well. Just came back from using the one in Tempe and it was top notch...so the American units get away unscathed for now......

What's the status of the Oliver Square Keg? Fences are up but no activity for the past while.
    I think they could open up a Keg in this new hotel building quicker than that!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I was concerned when I read about Cara buying The Keg; they would be wise not to mess with existing standards, methods, etc.

Actually I was just wondering today - the fences are down.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Cara just makes me think Airline Food. Must be incorporating their expertise into their acquisitions.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    I’ve heard the city denied their dp due to lack of street presence on their 104ave side. Maybe since they are now owned by Cara operations they could open one out at the airport, right beside the Fairfield Inn near the canal.

Cara’s been around for a while. Precedes confederation:

Recipe Unlimited - Wikipedia

“The company was originally chartered in 1883 as Canada Railway News Company, selling newspapers, magazines and confectionaries at railway stations. The company's roots go back to the mid-1850s, when Thomas Patrick Phelan was selling fruit and newspapers to train passengers between Hamilton and Buffalo.[5] Canada Railway News soon moved into the food business, catering to a boom in passenger rail traffic in Canada.

In the 1930s, the company began offering catering services to the airlines. By 1951, it was serving about 1,500 meals a day. In 1961, the company changed its name to Cara Operations Limited. The name Cara was derived from the first two letters of each of the words "Canada Railway".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recipe_Unlimited

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    I’ve heard the city denied their dp due to lack of street presence on their 104ave side. Maybe since they are now owned by Cara operations they could open one out at the airport, right beside the Fairfield Inn near the canal.
    There is iron on site. I assume that they'll be starting anytime.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

They likely made those changes then. They were planning one solid windowless wall along the avenue and the city said no, they wanted the plan changed
    Last edited by Drumbones; 26-01-2019 at 10:21 PM.

^^ I just walked past the Keg site and not only is there no iron there, but the construction fencing has been removed.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I was driving downtown today checking things out but forgot about it, didn’t go that far west.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

So I go to Wikipedia to check out Cara Operations and find out they have changed their name to Recipe Unlimited and taken on a Keg style logo with Recipe on it. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recipe_Unlimited

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

How long can this thread stray? lol

Back on topic....
    Any chance of pedway connections to this new hotel? At the very least, an underground connection to the Central LRT station?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Unlikely to no. Too costly.
    www.decl.org

Yet another missed opportunity if you ask me.

Besides, if you need to go anywhere in the dead of winter, you can walk or hope on a bike share. We're a winter city after all. Embrace the -40!

Exaggerate much? This tower is kitty corner to commerce, so a scrambled cross walk is easily adaptable to the concern.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

^^^The cost would be millions. Same reason Great Gulf may abandon connection to their tower proposal from Frank Oliver Park site.
    www.decl.org

Great Gulf has an established LRT tunnel that they could easily connect to.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

C2E SME

The hotel planned for 104 Street, along with the Fairmont Hotel MacDonald, are about a half block walk outside to the nearest LRT station. I'm sure this hotel will be okay.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Job No 296596405-002
    Description: To construct exterior and interior alterations in order to convert a Professional, Financial, Office Support Service building to a Hotel and Apartment Hotel with a total 308 rooms (171 rooms have bar sinks and small cooktops) with Accessory Personal Service Shop (spa), Indoor Participant Recreation Service (gym) and Restaurant
    Plan NB Blk 2 Lots 79-81
    Applicant: DAVIGNON MARTIN ARCHITECTURE
    Create Date: 3/5/2019 2:42:48 PM

I cannot wait to see this tower re-activated.
    www.decl.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12