Results 1 to 67 of 67

Thread: Please adopt Reddit u/Alberta rules

  1. #1

    Default Please adopt Reddit u/Alberta rules

    https://www.reddit.com/r/alberta/wiki/index recently updated its posting/commenting rules, including moderator guidelines. These rules, if implemented on C2E, would drastically improve the overall experience here, as C2E has, over the last year or so, become a steaming cesspool of trolling and editorialized cruft.

    Here's the rules, and I bold+red a few that I would sincerely love the admins to implement:

    All Site Rules Apply
    Please make sure you familiarize yourself with Reddit’s site-wide rules, including a ban on illegal activity, spam, and threatening, harassing, or bullying behavior.
    As well, please read the Reddiquette guidelines. While not specifically rules, we still feel they are good guidelines for behavior on Reddit.

    General Rules
    Moderation Team
    Moderators are all volunteer and frequently moderate multiple subreddits. Because of this and the size of this subreddit, not every single post or user can be vetted. We rely on your messages and replies to know when something is going awry.
    Messages through modmail should be kept professional, mature, and clear. Include any links or screenshots to issues you are having. As well, if you do not get a response immediately, please do not continue sending messages as this can overwhelm modmail quickly.
    Moderators act with a large amount of agency and discretion in interpreting the rules of the sub and acting in a way they think will best support the community. Because of this nuance, not all actions may align perfectly with a rule written here.

    Report Button
    Please ensure that you use the report button whenever you see a post that you think violates these rules, rather than replying to it and starting a fight. As well, abusing this function to send crude or harassing messages to the moderation team is banned site-wide and will be shared with Reddit Administrators for a site-wide temporary or permanent ban.

    Feedback & Accountability
    Moderators always need feedback from the community to ensure they’re acting in the community’s best interests. Please send mature or constructive feedback to the modmail. As well, if there is a moderator action you would like clarification on, please send a message to the moderation team and wait patiently for a response. If it is not something too pressing, consider letting it go.
    Remember we’re all humans, and we make mistakes. Try not to take things very personally if you feel you have been wronged by a moderator’s actions. Do not spam tag the moderators, if you need to message or get ahold of us, use the ‘message the moderators’ function. If you’re muted, wait out the mute, they last for 3 days. Do not backseat moderate; do not quote the rules or community ‘guidelines’ to someone you think it breaking a rule, report it to the moderator team.

    Bans, Temp-Bans, & Mutes
    These are the tools moderators have to effectively police the community, and they will be exercised with nuance concerning the context and transgression involved. Mutes are generally used when moderators are overwhelmed by messages and want to deprioritize someone, or to stop harassing or flooding messages from users.

    Commenting Rules
    Remain Civil
    It is important that we maintain a civil atmosphere in our subreddit to ensure a positive environment for everyone to contribute in. Treat other users decently as you would treat people in person. This includes not engaging in personal attacks, hate-speech, flaming, baiting, trolling, witch-hunting, or unsubstantiated accusations. Report problem posts but especially do not engage in like behavior.
    People are allowed to have opinions that are wrong or unpopular, and it should be emphasized that users should engage with these posts with rational, calm debate. Attack arguments and ideas, not the user. Just because someone expresses an opinion in an aggressive manner or uses profanity is not a reason to report their post.
    Expressing opinions in this way is not against the rules. We are all adults here and can handle people being gruff or using profanity.

    Racism, Sexism, and other forms of discrimination
    These are bannable offenses. Please report it, do not engage with it. Examples of this behavior:

    • “Oh look all the criminals are [certain race]! Just pointing out the facts folks!
    • Certain [group] is just more likely to [some negative behavior or trait], that’s a fact!*It’s just nature/science/statistics that race is [something negative], that’s a fact!
    • Why are [all of group] so lazy/stupid/something else negative?
    • This does not mean that, for instance, a conversation about the over representation about a certain demographic in prison is not allowed, but that it should not essentialize or homogenize entire groups of people. People are capable and allowed of discussing race related topics without being racist.

    *Vote on Quality, not Opinion Individuals can say many things that you may not agree with, but consider upvoting a response even if you disagree with it if the user has clearly put effort into making a good post. It is okay to agree to disagree.

    *Personal Attacks
    Never engage in personal attacks against a user. Even if they use these against you, two wrongs do not make a right. Name-calling and ad hominem posts will not be tolerated. This includes:

    • direct name-calling (you *****. You're a *****);
    • demeaning terms ("grow up, kid" "you're so naive" );
    • "not understanding" ("I didn't even understand what you're trying to say it's so dumb");
    • "you're cute/adorable" ;
    • you're a shill/troll/douche/ an ******* etc.;
    • "creative", demeaning terms (conservitard, etc.)
    • insults based upon a political affiliation and/or political beliefs (this does not apply to discussion exclusively about elected officials);
    • * Reddit-stalking a user to find something negative in their account history to use against them.

    Trolls, Harassment, Sea-Lioning, Brigading, Derailing, and Doxxing
    This behavior sows resentment, paranoia, and discord in a community and is not allowed. It is not civil and will result in a permanent ban from this subreddit. In certain cases, we may contact site admins about it as well. Determining what qualifies as trolling etc. can be nuanced and is up the discretion of the moderator team.

    Submission Rules
    Keep the Original Title of Article Submissions
    When you post a news article, please use the “suggested title” feature of Reddit or copy and paste it directly from the site. Do not editorialize the title of submissions, consider making a first post to kick off discussions on your thread by posting your thoughts.

    Required Comments for Multiple Submissions
    If you are posting more than one article a day, we ask that you include a sincere commentary in your post as a comment. This is to cut back on possible comment-less articles being posted en-masse. ** Disallowed Submissions:**

    • Self-Promotion and advertising generally is not allowed, but please speak to the moderation team about what you were planning.
    • Surveys are allowed to be posted, but if you are a student posting it we expect you to have ethical approval for your study.
    • Gofundme and other similar sites are considered spam and if they make it through the filter, they will be deleted.
    • We Are Not Kijiji: Generally speaking, if Kijiji does it, we delete it. This includes for-sale posts, job-seeking posts, or pleas for a romantic partner. If you want to post a job posting, please ask the moderators first.
    • Missing Persons: If people are missing we expect to see a link to a news article, missing persons case, or have it privately verified with us. We will delete posts that do not have this information due to potential stalking or harassment issues. There have been too many witch-hunts in the past.
    • Links to an individual’s social media accounts. These are not to be posted due to potential doxxing.
    • Easily googled questions (“What are the hours for West Edmonton Mall?”)
    • Partisan Material
    • Political posts are absolutely welcome, especially during election time. However, some light standards for this is that it should be links to articles from reputable journalists or news sources, or direct links to the political party website or politician’s website. Avoid posting third-party material or YouTube links, and please contact the moderation team if you have any questions.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  2. #2
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,559
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I have closed this thread and unapproved all posts after Chmilz's OP.

    This was done only to hide the dumpster fire that this thread quickly became, and also some of the rather hypocritical back and forth by some decrying bullying, etc., yet I could easily find several instances where the shoe is definitely on the other foot, or mouth.

    I get what Chmilz is saying.

    However, C2E is not Reddit. I read Reddit, and sometimes post. Anyone out there saying Reddit isn't as big of a dumpster fire, well, doesn't really read Reddit. I shake my head as much, actually more, than when I read C2E.

    Reddit has more to read, hence why more people are on it. This is the danger of a forum only about Edmonton.

    I want more forceful opinions. I want people to stand up for their beliefs. Yes, I am sad when things get so testy, but people also need to know that I am trying to have a forum that is more reflective of real life vs an echo chamber. While the rules are a lot like C2E's, I found in the past that when they were blindly enforced as Chmilz requests, people went ballistic more than they do now. Freedom of speech, censorship, you name it. I've been sued far more often by banning someone than refereeing this like a hockey playoff game. You let some of the chippy stuff go, you let the players decide, and then call the really bad infractions.

    Democracy is messy. It is not full of kid gloves. Being offended does not mean you are right. We live in a very diverse city where diverse opinions thrive. Some may rub you the wrong way, but they exist.

    Sure, the name calling can get out of hand; however, there are plenty of equal opportunity offenders. It aligns to the axiom that one rebel is another's freedom fighter. In the real world, I can't stand Alex Jones, but I will gladly allow Alex Jones to speak. I can just beat him with logic and reason. However, he has his legion of fans. I do have to laugh at the exception of name calling is OK in political threads about a politician, how honourable!!! *insert sarcasm here*

    I do chuckle about the profanity rule and the big boy/girl pants assumption. Really? The biggest reports I get are profanity! Profanity usually is the start of the spiral downhill. Big boy/girl pants means that you can have a vocabulary outside the gutter. To demand decorum, then say &*(k it all, is the epitome of hypocrisy in my opinion.

    Also, I prefer to see the members police themselves. Referring to the race baiting examples in the OP, these could be banning offences, or, the rather bad opinion could be thoroughly eviscerated by comments showing the ridiculousness of these "facts". Again, regrettable opinions exist. However, it is not regrettable to stand up to them.

    I get the angst though. There are days where I shake my head and wonder why. But, then I remind myself that discussion and decorum need to rule the day, and dastardly deeds need to be confronted, not swept under a rug. Plus, when you look at the race section's example of incarceration, I can see that thread going offside in about 3 posts on Reddit. Or, like here, they apply the rules in a way to not adversely affect the points being made.

    However Chmilz, and take this as honest feedback, starting a thread about rules and pointing out trolls, only to then get the people who you know are going to react to react, then to have this spiral within minutes, only to lament a thread I have no knowledge of is predictably (and dare I say planned to be) out of hand is a bit disingenuous. It is like rubbing your arm in honey, sticking it into a bear cave, getting it bit off, and feigning surprise that the bear took a bite. Then, blame the Chief of Police for not watching your back 24x7.

    As I've said several times, if I banned every username that did something silly and got reported, I wouldn't have any users left. Do I get ashamed at some of the behaviour here? Yes. Do I see the same behaviour then performed by the alleged recipient in another thread? Far too often.

    In closing, I really wish that people would practice the cliché of disagreeing doesn't mean being disagreeable, but unfortunately, one town hall meeting will quickly remove all belief that it will ever happen. I'd be willing to enforce that here, but this community would rebel just like it did in 2005, then again in 2008, and 2010.
    Ow

  3. #3
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,559
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Actually, I've changed my mind. I'll reopen this, and feel free to comment on my response. I will keep the other posts hidden for now.
    Ow

  4. #4
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,369

    Default

    I love lamp?

  5. #5

    Default

    Thank Admin

    I never posted to the thread because it quickly became perverse and hypocritical. Thanks for your lengthy comments

    I do most enjoy you statement: Also, I prefer to see the members police themselves. Referring to the race baiting examples in the OP, these could be banning offences, or, the rather bad opinion could be thoroughly eviscerated by comments showing the ridiculousness of these "facts". Again, regrettable opinions exist. However, it is not regrettable to stand up to them.


    This is where I tend to come in and comment, to correct posts that I feel are wrong, have incorrect 'facts' and try to add to a discussion with with sourced facts or a humorous jab or image when the tension gets too high. But most importantly, I will stand up to 'regrettable opinions' and will stand up to them. Even pulling a few punches against racism, sexism, hatred and Nazis.

    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  6. #6
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    3,964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    I have closed this thread and unapproved all posts after Chmilz's OP.

    This was done only to hide the dumpster fire that this thread quickly became, and also some of the rather hypocritical back and forth by some decrying bullying, etc., yet I could easily find several instances where the shoe is definitely on the other foot, or mouth.

    I get what Chmilz is saying.

    However, C2E is not Reddit. I read Reddit, and sometimes post. Anyone out there saying Reddit isn't as big of a dumpster fire, well, doesn't really read Reddit. I shake my head as much, actually more, than when I read C2E.

    Reddit has more to read, hence why more people are on it. This is the danger of a forum only about Edmonton.

    I want more forceful opinions. I want people to stand up for their beliefs. Yes, I am sad when things get so testy, but people also need to know that I am trying to have a forum that is more reflective of real life vs an echo chamber. While the rules are a lot like C2E's, I found in the past that when they were blindly enforced as Chmilz requests, people went ballistic more than they do now. Freedom of speech, censorship, you name it. I've been sued far more often by banning someone than refereeing this like a hockey playoff game. You let some of the chippy stuff go, you let the players decide, and then call the really bad infractions.

    Democracy is messy. It is not full of kid gloves. Being offended does not mean you are right. We live in a very diverse city where diverse opinions thrive. Some may rub you the wrong way, but they exist.

    Sure, the name calling can get out of hand; however, there are plenty of equal opportunity offenders. It aligns to the axiom that one rebel is another's freedom fighter. In the real world, I can't stand Alex Jones, but I will gladly allow Alex Jones to speak. I can just beat him with logic and reason. However, he has his legion of fans. I do have to laugh at the exception of name calling is OK in political threads about a politician, how honourable!!! *insert sarcasm here*

    I do chuckle about the profanity rule and the big boy/girl pants assumption. Really? The biggest reports I get are profanity! Profanity usually is the start of the spiral downhill. Big boy/girl pants means that you can have a vocabulary outside the gutter. To demand decorum, then say &*(k it all, is the epitome of hypocrisy in my opinion.

    Also, I prefer to see the members police themselves. Referring to the race baiting examples in the OP, these could be banning offences, or, the rather bad opinion could be thoroughly eviscerated by comments showing the ridiculousness of these "facts". Again, regrettable opinions exist. However, it is not regrettable to stand up to them.

    I get the angst though. There are days where I shake my head and wonder why. But, then I remind myself that discussion and decorum need to rule the day, and dastardly deeds need to be confronted, not swept under a rug. Plus, when you look at the race section's example of incarceration, I can see that thread going offside in about 3 posts on Reddit. Or, like here, they apply the rules in a way to not adversely affect the points being made.

    However Chmilz, and take this as honest feedback, starting a thread about rules and pointing out trolls, only to then get the people who you know are going to react to react, then to have this spiral within minutes, only to lament a thread I have no knowledge of is predictably (and dare I say planned to be) out of hand is a bit disingenuous. It is like rubbing your arm in honey, sticking it into a bear cave, getting it bit off, and feigning surprise that the bear took a bite. Then, blame the Chief of Police for not watching your back 24x7.

    As I've said several times, if I banned every username that did something silly and got reported, I wouldn't have any users left. Do I get ashamed at some of the behaviour here? Yes. Do I see the same behaviour then performed by the alleged recipient in another thread? Far too often.

    In closing, I really wish that people would practice the cliché of disagreeing doesn't mean being disagreeable, but unfortunately, one town hall meeting will quickly remove all belief that it will ever happen. I'd be willing to enforce that here, but this community would rebel just like it did in 2005, then again in 2008, and 2010.




  7. #7

    Default

    Reddit IS a dumpster fire. But the way each sub is moderated is not. They are actively trying to make that specific sub a more civil place, just like I suggested you do here. And I'd argue that you won't have any users left BUT the trolls if you don't ever clamp down on stuff. Be open and honest, what's the new user uptake like these days? What's the lurker to poster ratio? Is it better or worse than it has been in the past?

    My honest opinion is that you're not seeing any new users and are desperate to keep the ones you have, when it's likely that a minority of those users have made this a community that nobody new wants to become a part of.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  8. #8

    Default

    ^Well I'll speak up on this as there is blame to go around and if it includes me I'll man/woman up to it.
    The forum has been good to be on this morning. I notice when you go to the 'who's on line' page a couple of the usual antagonizers are lurking but have not posted much. I think one of the reasons for it is that they don't know how to post without being confrontational. They know they are being called out for their smart a.ss ways and realize they don't know how to communicate with out their hectoring being part of it. If they can't fault a persons post they will pick apart the spelling or the grammar. Their so called 'education' does not make up for their lack of common sense or any kind of human decency. Like I say, I can man/woman up to finger pointing but I can (almost) guarantee the 3 or 4 ship disturbers on this forum will not.
    Last edited by Gemini; 07-02-2018 at 02:20 PM.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  9. #9

    Default

    I'd argue that your perception is not reality. In any forum/reddit, there's something like a 10 to 1, or higher ratio of lurkers to posters.

    I'd argue that there are new posters signing up everyday, and participating. MrCombust is one of my favorite new posters.

    I'd argue that some people have grown past online communities such as this place, and it has nothing to do with this place. I dont see a desperate need to hang on to those people. This place still has tons of people participating.

    I'm not sure who you identify as trolls. There's certainly a lot of people I disagree with here, but I do not consider them trolls. There's a lot of baiting and debating going on, but unless you want echo chambers and cheerleading squads, that's not really this place, even though some think it is.

    This is a place, where people show their passion for Edmonton. Whether that passion is to hate Edmonton, love Edmonton, or somewhere in between, all our welcome.

    Except Trump fanatics. GTFO.

  10. #10

    Default

    ^First three sentences start with 'I'd argue'. Says it all doesn't it.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  11. #11
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,559
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Reddit IS a dumpster fire. But the way each sub is moderated is not. They are actively trying to make that specific sub a more civil place, just like I suggested you do here. And I'd argue that you won't have any users left BUT the trolls if you don't ever clamp down on stuff. Be open and honest, what's the new user uptake like these days? What's the lurker to poster ratio? Is it better or worse than it has been in the past?

    My honest opinion is that you're not seeing any new users and are desperate to keep the ones you have, when it's likely that a minority of those users have made this a community that nobody new wants to become a part of.
    I am surprised you would have to qualify your requests with "be open and honest". When am I not open and honest?

    The ratio is more or less the same. There are about 20 key users that post the vast majority of the information. In the early days, there were about 20 key people. They come, they go.

    What are "key" people? People who post more than once a day.

    There are ~200-250 casual posters.

    There is an average of 300 active users - defined as people logging in. I have a lot of users that use the PM section for networking, and commenting. The user ID's in this list change often.

    The site gets about 1-2 new user accounts per day. Those are real user accounts, we still get 10-12 spam user account that try but fail to pass the first level authentication.

    The truth with most online forums is that your lurker to poster count is always a huge variance. I am a member of several forums, and I can easily say I am a "casual poster" in 2, and 100% lurker in the rest. I read them daily. It is also like online new feeds (Edmonton Journal, etc.) I would be a lurker. I rarely post there. Does that mean the Journal doesn't have reach?

    That's the case here. You'd be surprised at who reads this. I am. The main comment I get from lurkers is this - "Why post, when there is a lot of rigorous discussion?" Sure, they lament the dumpster fire threads, but it is like a bad traffic accident, they can't help but rubberneck. Through this, and with the rather seasoned demographic of professionals that both post and lurk, there is a wealth of information here. You see, there are a significant number of people who have other things to do than post, or join a chorus online of like minded people. It is the same on your Facebook feed, or Twitter. Seriously look at the amount of users on Twitter, then take those that post more than once in awhile, further delineate with ones that post a lot vs retweet, and then place that as a percentage of the population. You'd be surprised at how small it actually is.

    The key here Chmilz is that I have tried exactly what you suggested, and I lost far more users and readers that way than not. As I said before, the danger in over enforcement is you soon get an echo chamber (far faster than the way you suggest C2E will go), and then readership doesn't care about the echo chamber. Truth be told, I am more interested in readership as the posters, as much as I shake my head at the venom, provide information as well as entertainment.

    There is one user on this board that can rub people the wrong way, and he has been banned a couple of times. However, and you will have to take my word on this, he has a legion of people that like the humour he brings. Sooner than later, I get petitioned by lurkers to bring the person back. Why? Simply because he plays a foil to another segment of the population. When he seriously crosses the line, I remove the offending remarks. When the C2E campaign was on, he was cited as someone they liked to read, even though people here roll their eyes or react with disgust at some of the posts. It takes all kinds.

    I said it before, and I will say it again. Forceful opinions, crass people, and disagreements are part of the real world. I will never subscribe to the "safe space" conversation here, as there are safe spaces if you really want an echo chamber. The reason why people grow and change happens is that ideas and opinions are vigorously supported and defended. Persoanlly, I see my own world being improved, changed, and sometimes further cemented when I have my ideas challenged. Sure, I don't like the aggressive tone, I wish people would grow up, but if I can stand up to that and articulately defend my position, I know I have a point. I will also admit that there are more than a few times where I am typing a rebuttal, and I proofread or walk away to clear my head, where I can see the flaw in my logic and change my approach for the better. I am certainly not the same person I was 20+ years ago, and C2E has helped me grow.

    I wish the subReddit folks well. It is a hard row to hoe, but with their larger user base given Reddit's plethora of discussions, they have an ability to even have several sub Reddits on Edmonton. I've tried exactly what they have, but this is one forum 100% dedicated to one topic - Edmonton. There is a nuance there that I hope you understand.

    If, however, there is a consensus that much stricter moderation needs to happen, I will reconsider. Please PM me if you have specifics as to not start yet another flame war.
    Ow

  12. #12
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,559
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I'd argue that your perception is not reality. In any forum/reddit, there's something like a 10 to 1, or higher ratio of lurkers to posters.
    It is, on average, actually more than 10X that on successful platforms.

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I'd argue that there are new posters signing up everyday, and participating. MrCombust is one of my favorite new posters.
    See above. 1-2 per day of real users that pass the multi level authentication. Most go into the building discussion threads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I'd argue that some people have grown past online communities such as this place, and it has nothing to do with this place. I dont see a desperate need to hang on to those people. This place still has tons of people participating.
    It is not so much growing past, but they also have other things to do, and they feel that their opinion was already expressed. Being articulate is often lengthy, and this place does have a habit of not liking singe word agree posts like ^bingo. Long time users here will remember that debate, as well as the post count debate.


    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    This is a place, where people show their passion for Edmonton. Whether that passion is to hate Edmonton, love Edmonton, or somewhere in between, all our welcome.
    Yes. Not everyone is in love with Edmonton, Downtown Edmonton, Millwoods, transit, solar, etc. As I said, it is through vigorous defense of your position that you either come out ahead, or learn more about the other side's points and augment your position accordingly. If people think scientific debate is all roses and puppy dogs, you've never been to an academic conference before.

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Except Trump fanatics. GTFO.
    No. They are welcome too. Same rules. Plus, fanatics are easy to spot, and knowing when to stop trying to change the mind of someone so set on one position is a virtue.
    Ow

  13. #13
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,559
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    In the time while I posted my thoughts, two new user accounts were created and passed the first level authentication process. FYI.
    Ow

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^First three sentences start with 'I'd argue'. Says it all doesn't it.
    i'm going to save the forum from a lot of bickering. You are now the first person I've ever put on ignore.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Plus, fanatics are easy to spot, and knowing when to stop trying to change the mind of someone so set on one position is a virtue.
    I just wanted to single this one statement out as it stands out, but deserves to stand out.

    Its interesting as well in that I think its in all of our natures to attempt to be persuasive. Often our first instinct, sometimes our main one.

    In anycase really well worded and powerful message. Much of the admin feedback has been, but this one comment really hit.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I'd argue that your perception is not reality. In any forum/reddit, there's something like a 10 to 1, or higher ratio of lurkers to posters.
    It is, on average, actually more than 10X that on successful platforms.

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I'd argue that there are new posters signing up everyday, and participating. MrCombust is one of my favorite new posters.
    See above. 1-2 per day of real users that pass the multi level authentication. Most go into the building discussion threads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I'd argue that some people have grown past online communities such as this place, and it has nothing to do with this place. I dont see a desperate need to hang on to those people. This place still has tons of people participating.
    It is not so much growing past, but they also have other things to do, and they feel that their opinion was already expressed. Being articulate is often lengthy, and this place does have a habit of not liking singe word agree posts like ^bingo. Long time users here will remember that debate, as well as the post count debate.


    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    This is a place, where people show their passion for Edmonton. Whether that passion is to hate Edmonton, love Edmonton, or somewhere in between, all our welcome.
    Yes. Not everyone is in love with Edmonton, Downtown Edmonton, Millwoods, transit, solar, etc. As I said, it is through vigorous defense of your position that you either come out ahead, or learn more about the other side's points and augment your position accordingly. If people think scientific debate is all roses and puppy dogs, you've never been to an academic conference before.
    I think we are mostly agreeing here, or in other words, ^Bingo

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Except Trump fanatics. GTFO.
    No. They are welcome too. Same rules. Plus, fanatics are easy to spot, and knowing when to stop trying to change the mind of someone so set on one position is a virtue.
    I think this is it. Expecting anyone to change their mind because of something you post is foolish at best. Most people have already come to a conclusion on something if they have the capacity to weigh in on a debate online. Those that haven't come to a conclusion on something usually just lurk the topic, or at best ask for more information.

    I was only joking about the GTFO part. I loves me a good dumpster fire.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^First three sentences start with 'I'd argue'. Says it all doesn't it.
    i'm going to save the forum from a lot of bickering. You are now the first person I've ever put on ignore.
    Oh you have just spoiled my......oh never mind. Actually a prudent move on your part. If you can’t stand the heat and all that.......
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Reddit IS a dumpster fire. But the way each sub is moderated is not. They are actively trying to make that specific sub a more civil place, just like I suggested you do here. And I'd argue that you won't have any users left BUT the trolls if you don't ever clamp down on stuff. Be open and honest, what's the new user uptake like these days? What's the lurker to poster ratio? Is it better or worse than it has been in the past?

    My honest opinion is that you're not seeing any new users and are desperate to keep the ones you have, when it's likely that a minority of those users have made this a community that nobody new wants to become a part of.
    I am surprised you would have to qualify your requests with "be open and honest". When am I not open and honest?

    The ratio is more or less the same. There are about 20 key users that post the vast majority of the information. In the early days, there were about 20 key people. They come, they go.

    What are "key" people? People who post more than once a day.

    There are ~200-250 casual posters.

    There is an average of 300 active users - defined as people logging in. I have a lot of users that use the PM section for networking, and commenting. The user ID's in this list change often.

    The site gets about 1-2 new user accounts per day. Those are real user accounts, we still get 10-12 spam user account that try but fail to pass the first level authentication.

    The truth with most online forums is that your lurker to poster count is always a huge variance. I am a member of several forums, and I can easily say I am a "casual poster" in 2, and 100% lurker in the rest. I read them daily. It is also like online new feeds (Edmonton Journal, etc.) I would be a lurker. I rarely post there. Does that mean the Journal doesn't have reach?

    That's the case here. You'd be surprised at who reads this. I am. The main comment I get from lurkers is this - "Why post, when there is a lot of rigorous discussion?" Sure, they lament the dumpster fire threads, but it is like a bad traffic accident, they can't help but rubberneck. Through this, and with the rather seasoned demographic of professionals that both post and lurk, there is a wealth of information here. You see, there are a significant number of people who have other things to do than post, or join a chorus online of like minded people. It is the same on your Facebook feed, or Twitter. Seriously look at the amount of users on Twitter, then take those that post more than once in awhile, further delineate with ones that post a lot vs retweet, and then place that as a percentage of the population. You'd be surprised at how small it actually is.

    The key here Chmilz is that I have tried exactly what you suggested, and I lost far more users and readers that way than not. As I said before, the danger in over enforcement is you soon get an echo chamber (far faster than the way you suggest C2E will go), and then readership doesn't care about the echo chamber. Truth be told, I am more interested in readership as the posters, as much as I shake my head at the venom, provide information as well as entertainment.

    There is one user on this board that can rub people the wrong way, and he has been banned a couple of times. However, and you will have to take my word on this, he has a legion of people that like the humour he brings. Sooner than later, I get petitioned by lurkers to bring the person back. Why? Simply because he plays a foil to another segment of the population. When he seriously crosses the line, I remove the offending remarks. When the C2E campaign was on, he was cited as someone they liked to read, even though people here roll their eyes or react with disgust at some of the posts. It takes all kinds.

    I said it before, and I will say it again. Forceful opinions, crass people, and disagreements are part of the real world. I will never subscribe to the "safe space" conversation here, as there are safe spaces if you really want an echo chamber. The reason why people grow and change happens is that ideas and opinions are vigorously supported and defended. Persoanlly, I see my own world being improved, changed, and sometimes further cemented when I have my ideas challenged. Sure, I don't like the aggressive tone, I wish people would grow up, but if I can stand up to that and articulately defend my position, I know I have a point. I will also admit that there are more than a few times where I am typing a rebuttal, and I proofread or walk away to clear my head, where I can see the flaw in my logic and change my approach for the better. I am certainly not the same person I was 20+ years ago, and C2E has helped me grow.

    I wish the subReddit folks well. It is a hard row to hoe, but with their larger user base given Reddit's plethora of discussions, they have an ability to even have several sub Reddits on Edmonton. I've tried exactly what they have, but this is one forum 100% dedicated to one topic - Edmonton. There is a nuance there that I hope you understand.

    If, however, there is a consensus that much stricter moderation needs to happen, I will reconsider. Please PM me if you have specifics as to not start yet another flame war.
    Fair enough. I do appreciate some figures for context. If the user base enjoys the site, warts and all, then so be it. My perception is not reality and I can accept that. Tuning out the stuff I think is trash will stay a "me" problem
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  19. #19
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,559
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

    Its interesting as well in that I think its in all of our natures to attempt to be persuasive. Often our first instinct, sometimes our main one.
    Thanks for the compliment. You are correct in this statement. I catch myself several times - typing out a response only to delete it all because you finally figure out that this person doesn't care to change. But, sometimes it feels good to vent your spleen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

    I was only joking about the GTFO part.
    Understood. I just had to clarify given my title and subject of this thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    My perception is not reality and I can accept that. Tuning out the stuff I think is trash will stay a "me" problem
    Your perception is your reality. You are not saying anything wrong here at all. There are some threads that I think are hazardous waste - and when I am asked to go in and moderate, I put on a hazmat suit.
    Ow

  20. #20

    Default

    It would be nice to be able to post on this forum and not be called a racist for not liking blackberries. Or saying pussyhats are stupid, then someone who would not know a p.ussy if it sat on their face telling you that you're not allowed to dislike those hats. Or reading a reply post from someone with a medical dictionary bleating away about someone's health or state of mind. How boringly repetitious is that. Oh and don't make a spelling mistake or typing error. Holy cow, the firing squad comes out for that one. The look at how well we converse brigade might know how to dot an I but they don't know how to keep a civil conversation going without trying to make themselves look big by hectoring a person. It would be nice to have more posters of all stripes but they are not going to post if 3 or 4 clowns are going to smother them with their stupidity. When they take their heads from out of their rears they will be amazed at what the fresh air can do.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    It would be nice to be able to post on this forum and not be called a racist for not liking blackberries. Or saying pussyhats are stupid, then someone who would not know a p.ussy if it sat on their face telling you that you're not allowed to dislike those hats.
    If you limited your comments to those types of statements I don't think anyone would have an issue with your posts.

    BUT...


    That's not what you do.

    Here are recent quotes from you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Wow. Who said anything about hillary? Can't you let her go already?
    You suffer from a strong case of WHATABOUTISM. Get help, quickly.
    There is nothing quite like a guy telling a women how she should think of someone or something.
    That would be you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Who wears the pants in your family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    *I'd rather read Mr. Oilers contributions than your immature rantings. I'd like to sent you a pink pussy hat with matching satin pink shoes with kitten heels but don't know where to send them.
    Don't blame us when you are running around, pouring gasoline on the fire
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

    Its interesting as well in that I think its in all of our natures to attempt to be persuasive. Often our first instinct, sometimes our main one.
    Thanks for the compliment. You are correct in this statement. I catch myself several times - typing out a response only to delete it all because you finally figure out that this person doesn't care to change. But, sometimes it feels good to vent your spleen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

    I was only joking about the GTFO part.
    Understood. I just had to clarify given my title and subject of this thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    My perception is not reality and I can accept that. Tuning out the stuff I think is trash will stay a "me" problem
    Your perception is your reality. You are not saying anything wrong here at all. There are some threads that I think are hazardous waste - and when I am asked to go in and moderate, I put on a hazmat suit.
    Well, we thank you for monitoring hazardous waste, heh, I'm sure we all cause some gray hairs at times.

    As per the venting the spleen part this could be explained away as talking to thin air, or to the 90% lurking if one prefers to believe that. The latter of which is more comforting at least by way of illusion. As in <somebody might agree with what is stated in all of our longest reaches..>

    When I believe that I feel like I'm less in left field..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    It would be nice to be able to post on this forum and not be called a racist for not liking blackberries. Or saying pussyhats are stupid, then someone who would not know a p.ussy if it sat on their face telling you that you're not allowed to dislike those hats.
    If you limited your comments to those types of statements I don't think anyone would have an issue with your posts.

    BUT...


    That's not what you do.

    Here are recent quotes from you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Wow. Who said anything about hillary? Can't you let her go already?
    You suffer from a strong case of WHATABOUTISM. Get help, quickly.
    There is nothing quite like a guy telling a women how she should think of someone or something.
    That would be you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Who wears the pants in your family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    *I'd rather read Mr. Oilers contributions than your immature rantings. I'd like to sent you a pink pussy hat with matching satin pink shoes with kitten heels but don't know where to send them.
    Don't blame us when you are running around, pouring gasoline on the fire
    Ah, the weasel has landed. Cherry picking his way through life.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  24. #24
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,713
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Gemini...please don't. We know you and PRT aren't the best of friends...
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

  25. #25
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,713
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    It would be nice to be able to post on this forum and not be called a racist for not liking blackberries. Or saying pussyhats are stupid, then someone who would not know a p.ussy if it sat on their face telling you that you're not allowed to dislike those hats. Or reading a reply post from someone with a medical dictionary bleating away about someone's health or state of mind. How boringly repetitious is that. Oh and don't make a spelling mistake or typing error. Holy cow, the firing squad comes out for that one. The look at how well we converse brigade might know how to dot an I but they don't know how to keep a civil conversation going without trying to make themselves look big by hectoring a person. It would be nice to have more posters of all stripes but they are not going to post if 3 or 4 clowns are going to smother them with their stupidity. When they take their heads from out of their rears they will be amazed at what the fresh air can do.


    Fair enough...

    but people of all stripes need to learn to ignore the people who want to barrage you with what you describe...

    ...in short...don't take the bait .
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

  26. #26
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,713
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    (...)

    Don't blame us when you are running around, pouring gasoline on the fire

    ...but...have you changed her opinion???

    No?

    Then why...when gas is poured...would someone then strike another match?
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

  27. #27

    Default

    ^Because he can't help himself......................
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  28. #28

    Default

    ^It was a rhetorical question.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  29. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    It would be nice to be able to post on this forum and not be called a racist for not liking blackberries. Or saying pussyhats are stupid, then someone who would not know a p.ussy if it sat on their face telling you that you're not allowed to dislike those hats. Or reading a reply post from someone with a medical dictionary bleating away about someone's health or state of mind. How boringly repetitious is that. Oh and don't make a spelling mistake or typing error. Holy cow, the firing squad comes out for that one. The look at how well we converse brigade might know how to dot an I but they don't know how to keep a civil conversation going without trying to make themselves look big by hectoring a person. It would be nice to have more posters of all stripes but they are not going to post if 3 or 4 clowns are going to smother them with their stupidity. When they take their heads from out of their rears they will be amazed at what the fresh air can do.


    Fair enough...

    but people of all stripes need to learn to ignore the people who want to barrage you with what you describe...

    ...in short...don't take the bait .
    Your correct in part but a lot of the bait is not comments it's insults wrapped in a cover of trying to be smart mouthing. I cannot believe what 3 - or 4 posters say on here would be even entertained in a bar. They would be put through a wall. It's just a heads up to them that a lot of us have their number. No doubt they will be reaching for their ignore buttons because they don't like the truth.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  30. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    It would be nice to be able to post on this forum and not be called a racist for not liking blackberries. Or saying pussyhats are stupid, then someone who would not know a p.ussy if it sat on their face telling you that you're not allowed to dislike those hats. Or reading a reply post from someone with a medical dictionary bleating away about someone's health or state of mind. How boringly repetitious is that. Oh and don't make a spelling mistake or typing error. Holy cow, the firing squad comes out for that one. The look at how well we converse brigade might know how to dot an I but they don't know how to keep a civil conversation going without trying to make themselves look big by hectoring a person. It would be nice to have more posters of all stripes but they are not going to post if 3 or 4 clowns are going to smother them with their stupidity. When they take their heads from out of their rears they will be amazed at what the fresh air can do.


    Fair enough...

    but people of all stripes need to learn to ignore the people who want to barrage you with what you describe...

    ...in short...don't take the bait .
    Look at the bigger picture. 3 - 4 goons acting like jerks to some of the posters. People reading the forum who maybe want to join. So they sign themselves in and type their first post. They could just state they think pussyhats are childish and women should find better ways to voice their political opinion. Now wait and see what the goons do.............................KABOOM.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  31. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    It would be nice to be able to post on this forum and not be called a racist for not liking blackberries. Or saying pussyhats are stupid, then someone who would not know a p.ussy if it sat on their face telling you that you're not allowed to dislike those hats.
    If you limited your comments to those types of statements I don't think anyone would have an issue with your posts.

    BUT...


    That's not what you do.

    Here are recent quotes from you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Wow. Who said anything about hillary? Can't you let her go already?
    You suffer from a strong case of WHATABOUTISM. Get help, quickly.
    There is nothing quite like a guy telling a women how she should think of someone or something.
    That would be you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Who wears the pants in your family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    *I'd rather read Mr. Oilers contributions than your immature rantings. I'd like to sent you a pink pussy hat with matching satin pink shoes with kitten heels but don't know where to send them.
    Don't blame us when you are running around, pouring gasoline on the fire
    Take it up with Admin.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  32. #32

    Default

    you are slow on the uptake.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  33. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    you are slow on the uptake.
    Oh go do the dishes or make the bed. Make yourself useful instead bleating about how someone on the internet hurt your feelings.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  34. #34

    Default

    rest case...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  35. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Then why...when gas is poured...would someone then strike another match?
    On the other hand, I notice that rule-violating posts are removed without consequence for the rulebreaker. Gem had a half dozen direct, personal attacks in this thread before the Admin purge, giving her tacit approval to run around pissing gasoline & sh!tting matches everywhere she goes, blaming everyone else for being flammable.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  36. #36

    Default

    Some people need to realize that if you make statements like "All Muslims should be banned from entering a country" (or something similar to that), and someone else saying "That's racist", that's not a personal attack. That's exactly what it is. That's Racist.

    If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it definitely is a duck. Being called a duck isn't a personal insult, it's the truth. If it hurts to be called a duck, maybe you should stop walking and talking like a duck.

  37. #37

    Default

    As part of the infamous trio, I fully endorse noodle's and Medward's posts.

    They sum up the issue succinctly.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  38. #38
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,713
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Then why...when gas is poured...would someone then strike another match?
    On the other hand, I notice that rule-violating posts are removed without consequence for the rulebreaker. Gem had a half dozen direct, personal attacks in this thread before the Admin purge, giving her tacit approval to run around pissing gasoline & sh!tting matches everywhere she goes, blaming everyone else for being flammable.
    Fair enoigh...

    ...but I'm willing to bet that members of what PRT calls the "infamous trio", or others that I'd bet people would start trotting out, have had similar treatment by Admin...


    ...that being reported posts being just simply unapproved...

    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

  39. #39

    Default

    For sure, but both Matt & I have both gotten sterner punishment while the other side of the argument hasn't seemingly ever gotten any harsher recrimination than the trashcan, emboldening them & reinforcing the notion that we're rabble-rousing miscreants kicking sand at the "good folks".

    (EPRT might have gotten a time out as well, not sure)
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  40. #40

    Default

    I'm sure I'm near the top for number of post removed, suspension time served in days, and groans and facepalms by Admin.

  41. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Some people need to realize that if you make statements like "All Muslims should be banned from entering a country" (or something similar to that), and someone else saying "That's racist", that's not a personal attack. That's exactly what it is. That's Racist.

    If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it definitely is a duck. Being called a duck isn't a personal insult, it's the truth. If it hurts to be called a duck, maybe you should stop walking and talking like a duck.
    Yeah, but no one (that I am aware of) has ever said 'all Muslims should be banned'. I don't think anyone has said any race/creed/etc. should be banned. If you are stating something like that then find it on the forum and prove it. This is the jumped up statements that 3 or 4 of you like to make. You think that just by saying it yourself it's true and putting everyone posting on the forum in a bad light. Swaggering clowns with good grammar and bad attitudes. People are allowed to not like the things you like. They're allowed to have an opinion on what goes on it the world and if it doesn't sync with your snowflake views well that's just to bad. They're allowed to call you out for telling them you'll go for drinks then you not showing up. Allowed to talk about Trump, Trudeau, tennis balls and t.its without asking your permission to do so. Grow up, use some manners then maybe you will not get the backlash you do off people because they are just so tired of reading the trash you write. Yes, admin has deleted some posts. He deleted a post from your wonderful mouthpiece PRT. I glanced through that one. Oh boy, it started something on the line of "I normally don't write on issues like this" (something on those lines) then continued on like the guy was a fricking choir boy.

    Heads up, if someone does not like:

    Curries - their not anti-Asian
    Black dresses - their not bigots
    To see someone's face - their not crazy
    If they find a loonie in a deserted parking lot - their not a thief
    If they happen to eat a female turkey at Xmas - they are not a misogynist
    Don't like small vehicles - their not douches

    So next time when the 3 or 4 of you are all on line together and posting in unison don't get into overblown rhetoric on things like this. Don't blow some innocent comment out of all proportion and start calling people names because I don't think anyone is buying your crap anymore.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  42. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    For sure, but both Matt & I have both gotten sterner punishment while the other side of the argument hasn't seemingly ever gotten any harsher recrimination than the trashcan, emboldening them & reinforcing the notion that we're rabble-rousing miscreants kicking sand at the "good folks".

    (EPRT might have gotten a time out as well, not sure)
    I'm wondering how the three of us (EPRT, noodle and medwards), got put together into some sort of group of forum henchmen that are working together or something silly. I disagree with the both of you more often than not, especially that PRT nutjob. There seems to be some sort of conspiracy/false illusion forming here that is based on nothing outside of maybe someones own insecurity, or a big depression, or a general 'they're all out to get me' type of irrational thinking. I suppose one might jump to silly conclusions like this because we come online within a few hours of each other during the normal work day? I'm not quite sure how else or what straws they are grasping at.

  43. #43

    Default

    ^I think its because it's mainly you guys who try and attack people like ian for example. We get it that you dont like the guy, and yeah sure he does tend to get annoying especially when posting the same pic in 5 diffrent threads. But honestly i think we need to stop with the bickering and bringing up the past if we want this fourm to not be such a dumpster fire.

  44. #44

    Default

    I think Ian's a nice guy. Seems to take his critics in his stride.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  45. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I think Ian's a nice guy. Seems to take his critics in his stride.
    Hahaha. He's literally thrown temper tantrums & attempted to dictate ultimatums to Admin that cost him his moderator status here. He's got about as good a grasp on handling criticism as you have on the appropriate use of apostrophes.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  46. #46

    Default

    Three people disagreeing with one poster, over & over & over again? Better blame the three posters & lump them together as some sort of conspiracy. Why actually discuss & debate when you can deflect multiple people (whose only real agreement is their universal disagreement with one poster on one narrow set of issues) all in one smooth motion? Bonus points for using pet names or a single word as a "rebuttal".

    Lumping EPRT, Matt & myself together as some sort of coordinated cadre of criticism is almost as stupid as the tendency of one poster in the politics thread to call anyone who disagrees with him "left", regardless of the actual political beliefs espoused by the person being judged.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  47. #47

    Default

    Not sure whos lumping you guys into this but basicly what i tend to see is more of you and Med teaming up more then anything.

  48. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magnus View Post
    Not sure whos lumping you guys into this but basicly what i tend to see is more of you and Med teaming up more then anything.
    The main reason Ian gets a lot of flack is that he doesn't ever change his behaviours & his compulsive posting habits provide him plenty of opportunity to show just how little he thinks of anyone's feedback but his own.

    Plenty of people have told him to dial back the cross-posting of low-quality, low-effort pics into multiple threads, yet he keeps on keeping on without so much as a pause. I stopped complaining because the complaints about my complaints were tiresome & cluttering up the thread with vain attempts to get someone incapable of personal growth to actually change their behaviour. To keep tilting at that windmill would make me the same as him, so I stopped.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  49. #49
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,559
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I'm sure I'm near the top for number of post removed, suspension time served in days, and groans and facepalms by Admin.
    Actually, no.

    On second thought, facepalm stats you're up there.
    Ow

  50. #50
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I think Ian's a nice guy. Seems to take his critics in his stride.

    He isnt rude like noodle, Meds and EDMt prt..

  51. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magnus View Post
    ^I think its because it's mainly you guys who try and attack people like ian for example. We get it that you dont like the guy, and yeah sure he does tend to get annoying especially when posting the same pic in 5 diffrent threads. But honestly i think we need to stop with the bickering and bringing up the past if we want this fourm to not be such a dumpster fire.
    I think Ian is a great guy. I disagree with some of the arguments he puts forth. I offer my opinion. That's essentially what a forum is. I bring up the past when it's relevant. I think its important to reflect on things, when other similiar things happen. There's no bickering. And I'm not sure why the 3 of us are being singled out, you're certainly no angel around here. It may seem like some are picking on IanO, but IanO posts a ton, that's the reason he receives so many responses. And I'm also not sure why you feel the need to interject with the "stop responding to IanO", as if you are speaking for him. IanO is a big boy, and if he didn't want to have a debate, he wouldn't post on a debate forum. Again, this place isn't your safe place to post with out someone having a differing opinion. It's not your private silo of "Edmonton is great, Edmonton is wonderful, la la la bliss, ignorance, sunshine lollipops ladadadaade"

    As for the picture thing - I've commented on a few of his pictures, but it was mostly others who repeatedly brought up IanOs re-posting of pictures in multiple threads.

  52. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I'm sure I'm near the top for number of post removed, suspension time served in days, and groans and facepalms by Admin.
    Actually, no.

    On second thought, facepalm stats you're up there.
    Thanks ... friend?

  53. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I think Ian's a nice guy. Seems to take his critics in his stride.

    He isnt rude like noodle, Meds and EDMt prt..
    Can we add you, <blocked user>, and MrOilers to that list?

  54. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magnus View Post
    ^I think its because it's mainly you guys who try and attack people like ian for example. We get it that you dont like the guy, and yeah sure he does tend to get annoying especially when posting the same pic in 5 diffrent threads. But honestly i think we need to stop with the bickering and bringing up the past if we want this fourm to not be such a dumpster fire.
    I think Ian is a great guy. I disagree with some of the arguments he puts forth. I offer my opinion. That's essentially what a forum is. I bring up the past when it's relevant. I think its important to reflect on things, when other similiar things happen. There's no bickering. And I'm not sure why the 3 of us are being singled out, you're certainly no angel around here. It may seem like some are picking on IanO, but IanO posts a ton, that's the reason he receives so many responses. And I'm also not sure why you feel the need to interject with the "stop responding to IanO", as if you are speaking for him. IanO is a big boy, and if he didn't want to have a debate, he wouldn't post on a debate forum. Again, this place isn't your safe place to post with out someone having a differing opinion. It's not your private silo of "Edmonton is great, Edmonton is wonderful, la la la bliss, ignorance, sunshine lollipops ladadadaade"

    As for the picture thing - I've commented on a few of his pictures, but it was mostly others who repeatedly brought up IanOs re-posting of pictures in multiple threads.
    like i said i was just using ian as an example. I mean if its not him you guys pick on its me (and my other names i have had here in the past ) but also i didnt say stop repsonding to him, and im very well aware ian is a big boy just like we all should be big boys and girls (not in the fat shaming way) and look past peoples faults and shi!t it would make this place a whole alot less toxic place imo.

  55. #55

    Default

    what is your definition of 'pick on'. Can you describe what we are doing? Reference a post where I've picked on you personal, and not what you've wrote on a public forum.

  56. #56
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,559
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Really now.

    We need to go off on who is a bigger poopiehead? Who is the bigger meanie?

    Please stop.
    Ow

  57. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    what is your definition of 'pick on'. Can you describe what we are doing? Reference a post where I've picked on you personal, and not what you've wrote on a public forum.
    Med's you cant be that obtuse bro i called you out on it in this very thread before admin unapproved said postings. But anyhow im not trying to make this about me or anyone im just describing what i personaly see here on the forums during my time(s) i have been banned or not. Have we all forgotten this place almost died, If it wasnt for the people who fundraised to get this place back up and running again? By keeping this toxic cycle going we are basicly taking a ***** on the people who helped fund this. There's some saying and im most likely fracking it up but its "dont **** where you live" or somthing to that effect.

  58. #58

    Default

    You've made this about you, and you've made this about me, noodle and PRT. Anyways, I'm moving on. You can find this place toxic all you want (I disagree with you on that) I don't feel like I'm doing anything wrong. If you need a safe space, log off and sing kumbaya lightly. If I'm doing something wrong, report it. Peace, bro.

  59. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Really now.

    We need to go off on who is a bigger poopiehead? Who is the bigger meanie?

    Please stop.
    I am so sorry. I feel your pain and empathise with your plight. Do you often think that you are the only 'adult' is the room?

    Please tell me where I send the case of St. Emilion Chateau Bel Orme, Tronquoy de Lalande 2010? (seriously an exceptional vintage)




    i am having a glass and laughing at all the anti-PRT rhetoric. Makes me sound like i am the worst person ever since Hillary Clinton. LOL
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  60. #60

    Default

    ^Having a glass of wine while brown nosing to admin. The weasel has landed yet again.
    Tell you what, buy me a case of good wine. Just send 10 and shove one in your pie hole and shove the other in your.....................oh oh doorbell.
    Then quit sucking up to admin because that's making all of us laugh.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  61. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Really now.

    We need to go off on who is a bigger poopiehead? Who is the bigger meanie?

    Please stop.
    I am so sorry. I feel your pain and empathise with your plight. Do you often think that you are the only 'adult' is the room?

    Please tell me where I send the case of St. Emilion Chateau Bel Orme, Tronquoy de Lalande 2010? (seriously an exceptional vintage)




    i am having a glass and laughing at all the anti-PRT rhetoric. Makes me sound like i am the worst person ever since Hillary Clinton. LOL


    Well, I don’t think Ed PRT is befitting Mateus Rosé.

  62. #62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Thank Admin

    I never posted to the thread because it quickly became perverse and hypocritical. Thanks for your lengthy comments

    I do most enjoy you statement: Also, I prefer to see the members police themselves. Referring to the race baiting examples in the OP, these could be banning offences, or, the rather bad opinion could be thoroughly eviscerated by comments showing the ridiculousness of these "facts". Again, regrettable opinions exist. However, it is not regrettable to stand up to them.


    This is where I tend to come in and comment, to correct posts that I feel are wrong, have incorrect 'facts' and try to add to a discussion with with sourced facts or a humorous jab or image when the tension gets too high. But most importantly, I will stand up to 'regrettable opinions' and will stand up to them. Even pulling a few punches against racism, sexism, hatred and Nazis.

    Thanks admin for putting this back on from February 6th. Hopefully everyone reads it an sees what a phoney this guy is.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  63. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Really now.

    We need to go off on who is a bigger poopiehead? Who is the bigger meanie?

    Please stop.
    I am so sorry. I feel your pain and empathise with your plight. Do you often think that you are the only 'adult' is the room?

    Please tell me where I send the case of St. Emilion Chateau Bel Orme, Tronquoy de Lalande 2010? (seriously an exceptional vintage)




    i am having a glass and laughing at all the anti-PRT rhetoric. Makes me sound like i am the worst person ever since Hillary Clinton. LOL


    Well, I don’t think Ed PRT is befitting Mateus Rosé.
    That's actually very funny. I think a bottle of vinegar is more apt.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  64. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Thanks admin for putting this back on from February 6th. Hopefully everyone reads it an sees what a phoney this guy is.
    Are you suggesting that I removed it?

    Maybe Admin can correct you.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 08-02-2018 at 06:21 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  65. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Thanks admin for putting this back on from February 6th. Hopefully everyone reads it an sees what a phoney this guy is.
    Are you suggesting that I removed it?Maybe Admin can correct you.
    See post #41.Do you want wine with that whine.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  66. #66
    Last edited by Dark Magnus; 08-02-2018 at 06:59 PM.

  67. #67
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,559
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Time to lock this one.
    Ow

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •