Thread: Radio station ads with sirens

Default Radio station ads with sirens

Now I didn't want to post this in the Rant section because it's more of an annoyance than a rant I guess... But does anyone else find it a little annoying when radio ads use police/ambulance/firefighter sirens in them? I mean, it's a good bet that the majority of listeners are likely DRIVING. Is it a good idea to play sirens during an ad?? Most of the time it distracts me a lot because I start looking for the emergency vehicle, checking my mirrors etc, and sometimes I realize it's the damn radio when I first hear it and quickly turn down my radio, only to then realize that it's coming FROM the radio...

Should this be a rule of some kind, or perhaps even a law considering most people driving are listening to the radio? (Every car has a stereo in it...) I can't run a siren in my own vehicle legally. At the same time, purposefully or ignorantly distracting drivers on the road is also illegal ; IE, the guy who got charged for standing on the sidewalk holding a sign that warned of photo radar ahead. Even standing on the side of the road with a handheld siren will probably land you in hot water if you get caught. Or shining a bright light into driver's faces... (you get my point). So why is it that radio can do this?

So, have you also been distracted by something like this? Is this just going overboard? Discuss

I'd rather C2E than work!

What is this thing you call radio? I have one in my car but have nevered used it.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Yes, I've been distracted by it, and yes, I find it incredibly annoying. The most effective thing is probably to email the company that has the ad, telling that you don't appreciate the siren appearing in it.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by alkeli View Post
    Now I didn't want to post this in the Rant section because it's more of an annoyance than a rant I guess... But does anyone else find it a little annoying when radio ads use police/ambulance/firefighter sirens in them? I mean, it's a good bet that the majority of listeners are likely DRIVING. Is it a good idea to play sirens during an ad?? Most of the time it distracts me a lot because I start looking for the emergency vehicle, checking my mirrors etc, and sometimes I realize it's the damn radio when I first hear it and quickly turn down my radio, only to then realize that it's coming FROM the radio...

Should this be a rule of some kind, or perhaps even a law considering most people driving are listening to the radio? (Every car has a stereo in it...) I can't run a siren in my own vehicle legally. At the same time, purposefully or ignorantly distracting drivers on the road is also illegal ; IE, the guy who got charged for standing on the sidewalk holding a sign that warned of photo radar ahead. Even standing on the side of the road with a handheld siren will probably land you in hot water if you get caught. Or shining a bright light into driver's faces... (you get my point). So why is it that radio can do this?

So, have you also been distracted by something like this? Is this just going overboard? Discuss
    I have noticed it and it is incredibly annoying and even potentially dangerous when driving. I do wonder about the stupidity of radio stations about this. I am sure people have complained to them, but these complaints have been ignored or dismissed. Of course, when someone is killed or injured from this distraction, they will just pretend they didn't know.

Radio advertisers take note - when I hear anything annoying on a car radio, I QUICKLY flip to another station. Maybe you need to talk to the radio stations about this.

Try listening to a station that doesn't use Mouldy Oldies and nattering announcers to keep the ads from running together. CKUA 94.9 FM would be one of those stations.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

More annoying than Bryan Hall ?

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Try listening to a station that doesn't use Mouldy Oldies and nattering announcers to keep the ads from running together. CKUA 94.9 FM would be one of those stations.
    Agree,however haven't listened since they went dark,and Bill Coull left.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Wow and here I was worried I might be the only one getting "spooked" by radio sirens!

That's a good point about e-mailing the company that put out the ad directly. I might have to start paying attention to the ads and e-mail them!

TIL people still use car radios.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alkeli View Post

I have noticed it and it is incredibly annoying and even potentially dangerous when driving. I do wonder about the stupidity of radio stations about this. I am sure people have complained to them, but these complaints have been ignored or dismissed. Of course, when someone is killed or injured from this distraction, they will just pretend they didn't know.

Radio advertisers take note - when I hear anything annoying on a car radio, I QUICKLY flip to another station. Maybe you need to talk to the radio stations about this.
    Spence Diamonds has been chasing me around the radio dial for years.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

More annoying than Bryan Hall ?
    There is nothing more annoying than Bryan Hall!