Thread: 'The new wave is already happening': 2018 a pivotal year for tech in Edmonton, experts say

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default 'The new wave is already happening': 2018 a pivotal year for tech in Edmonton, experts say

This year, Edmonton will establish its role in technology more firmly, where the economy is very strongly influenced by technological innovations.

Over the last couple of years, three aspects of technology had a breakout moment in Edmonton: artificial intelligence (AI), health innovation and tech entrepreneurship.

“I think we have done a great job on startups in the city,” he said. “I think you are going to see in 2018 a real focus on the scale of companies.”

Ferguson said this year will see the startups become more established and will see companies going from “20 to 200” people.
    http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...perts-say.html
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Nice. Thanks for sharing

Default Digital dreams: Building an AI industry in Alberta

“If no one’s going to take up the mantle and do it, then goddamn it, I’m going to do it. It’s too important.”
    These words come from Jonathan Schaeffer, artificial intelligence researcher and former dean of science at the University of Alberta. He stepped down from that position last fall, after a storied 35-year career in academia in which he authored hundreds of papers and created the first artificial intelligence program to “solve” checkers.
    Schaeffer remains a professor in the Department of Computing Science but he has taken a one-year sabbatical from his university job. He is “being my own salesman for the city of Edmonton.”
    His goal: “To help build this city into one of the great research and development and commercial centres for AI.”
    Since beginning his effort, he’s spoken to more than 50 companies. Many are “looking at Edmonton,” said Schaeffer, another one of the 14 steering committee members for the January AI report, formally titled Realizing the Alberta AI Business Plan.
    https://www.taprootedmonton.ca/stori...oqmpA3pT5VU8Fk
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Default High-tech hopes: When a 'big bet' goes belly up, how Edmonton can spark the tech innovation it despe

Yet when it comes to fledgling early stage technology companies, the city is still trying to find its footing. Edmonton’s startup ecosystem is worth $77 million, according to a valuation by Startup Genome, an organization that works with tech startup communities in cities around the world.
    That’s small potatoes compared to more advanced markets.
    Munich’s $4.4-billion ecosystem is considered a mid-range performer when compared to all the communities surveyed in Startup Genome’s 2018 annual report; Silicon Valley is the top performer in the world at $619 billion. When ranked against the biggest tech markets in the world, Edmonton’s few startups are getting on average $60,000 in early funding, a quarter of the global average of $252,000.

Innovate Edmonton’s vice-president Cheryll Watson — who left the financial tech company Intuit to join EEDC about two years ago — thought her team had landed on the idea that would give the sector a needed boost. Last fall, the organization drew up a plan for a new “innovation hub” in a downtown building that would offer workspace for entrepreneurs starting or scaling up companies, as well as event space and other options for programming.
    But when they put their “big bet” in front of city council, they lost.
    At an executive committee meeting in October 2018, council members got an earful from angry entrepreneurs who said they hadn’t been consulted and argued that EEDC making a real estate investment wasn’t what the tech industry needs at all. Others were ticked about the prospect of moving Startup Edmonton, the existing EEDC-supported tech incubator, out of its current location in a trendy building on 104 Street.
    “We left a lot of people out of the conversation. And that became apparent,” Watson said in a March interview in her downtown office, a few floors up in a building on the corner of Jasper Avenue and 100 Street.
    The following week, council passed a motion to rethink the plan.
    https://edmontonjournal.com/news/ins...ech-innovation