Thread: Alberta's First Nordic Spa (Kananaskis)

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Alberta's First Nordic Spa (Kananaskis)

From http://mikesbloggityblog.com/everyth...st-nordic-spa/

This is a great idea, and one that could lead the way for similar facilities elsewhere in the province (*cough* Rossdale *cough*)

The Kananaskis Nordic spa will eventually feature: A Relaxation Lodge, five outdoor pools, five sauna and steam cabins, exfoliation room, salt-water float pool, outdoor heated hammocks, fireside lounges, a meditation labyrinth, heated lounge chairs with personal music stations, dream lounge and a 30-person yoga studio complete with silk yoga hammocks.
    I look forward to visiting once it's completed. I have a feeling this will take off like wildfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    This is a great idea, and one that could lead the way for similar facilities elsewhere in the province (*cough* Rossdale *cough*)
    Come, relax next to a large substation & the water treatment plant!

(I'm a huge believer in a Rossdale revitalization, but everyone seems to forget there's an awful lot of unmovable civic infrastructure taking up a substantial portion of the 'hood.)
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Come, relax next to a large substation & the water treatment plant!

(I'm a huge believer in a Rossdale revitalization, but everyone seems to forget there's an awful lot of unmovable civic infrastructure taking up a substantial portion of the 'hood.)
    Yes, a lot of people down there have built beautiful homes down there too. And for decades hundreds of thousands of people enjoyed open air baseball games next to that infrastructure too. There was also a brick yard not far away. ...and a roadway and bridges....

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Yes, a lot of people down there have built beautiful homes down there too. And for decades hundreds of thousands of people enjoyed open air baseball games next to that infrastructure too. There was also a brick yard not far away. ...and a roadway and bridges....
    Yep, hence why there's not a lot of space where you could put an outdoor, Nordic-style spa, what with the vast, vast majority of Rossdale already being spoken for.

(Boundaries not 100% absolute, but you get the gist)
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Though I guess in fairness I should rephrase my snark.

"Come, relax in the shadow of civic infrastructure, next to busy roads! The river's just over there! No, you can't see it from here, but trust us!"

(Since that's about all that's left)

I'd rather C2E than work!

Creative placement of buildings could potentially block out a lot of the more unsightly stuff. It's not about being at/next to the river, it's about the view from the hot pool/deck/etc and the overall feel of the space. Potential is everywhere if you choose to look for it.

Doesn't even have to be Rossdale necessarily. Rundle is a beautiful park that's secluded and peaceful. I know you can see Refinery Row from there, but again, with some creativity that sight line can be obscured.

I'm just saying it's an idea that might be worth considering.