Thread: Flat Earth International Conference (Canada) 2018 | Edmonton

C2E SME

Default Flat Earth International Conference (Canada) 2018 | Edmonton

People from all four corners of the world are attending!

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...nal-conference
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Good one!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Anyone admitting they are attending?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

I hear that MrOilers is the keynote speaker. LOL
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Oh, I've considered going just for the shear hilarity of the thing.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

MrCombust will be presented the annual Tinfoil Hat Award for his diligent work on exposing the TRUTH...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Oh, I've considered going just for the shear hilarity of the thing.
    In cognito of course right ?

^Hah, I'm 6'8"... I can't do incognito.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Just go as I do...an innocent bailiff

http://oldafsarge.blogspot.ca/2014/0...art-first.html
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

Tell them you can see Russia from your front yard!
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Open to members only, hotel space wont be at a premium during this event. Unless its hosted by George Noory.

The truth about climate change thread has been inactive all day today!
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I hear that MrOilers is the keynote speaker. LOL
    What

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Just go as I do...an innocent bailiff

http://oldafsarge.blogspot.ca/2014/0...art-first.html
    ooookay...

except that richard could probably get away with more than you could.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I recall reading somewhere that it is more-or-less a myth that people at one time widely believed the Earth was flat. Even in the days when they thought the sun went around the Earth, they still knew that the planet had a round shape.

So people in the contemporary era claiming to be flat-earthers are not, as they might imagine, reviving an earlier belief system(though there were a few ancient philosophers of limited influence who believed it was flat, and probably some scattered tribal groups here and there, especially if they had never seen the ocean.)

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I did a bit more research on this group flat Earth society. This is not some New Age notion but has a dedicated following of learned academics. The group and its members have worked at this a long time. You can read more about them here:

https://theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

ooookay...

except that richard could probably get away with more than you could.
    Yeah...like be funny...which I am obviously not...
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

I did a bit more research on this group flat Earth society. This is not some New Age notion but has a dedicated following of learned academics. The group and its members have worked at this a long time. You can read more about them here:

From the Paula Simon article:
    Davidson stressed that his organization has absolutely no affiliation with the Flat Earth Society. That organization’s ideas, he told me firmly, are laughable.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/c...rth-conference

Davidson stressed that his organization has absolutely no affiliation with the Flat Earth Society. That organizationís ideas, he told me firmly, are laughable.
    I bet it would be a good time - except all their jokes will fall flat.

Would Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland) be appropriate reading? (Annotated: http://physicstoday.scitation.org/do...1063/1.1580052)
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

When I go on YouTube, these flat earth clips keep on popping up, so they're actually gaining quite strong momentum. I think people are just starting to question the standard knowledge of science that we know it as of today. I'm open minded enough to hear what they have to say just as much as I'm open minded to the ' Nibiru/Wormwood' topic. The latter aspect has quite strong evidence on You Tube which includes Dr Claudia Albert reports. Dr Alber is a physicist. There are weird orbs in the sky captured by cameras all over the world. One example is the Alaskan sky cam. Heh, it wasn't too long ago someone challenged the head of the church and science community that earth was not the centre of the universe or our solar system. He was also ridiculed and laughed at. That said, I don't necessarily believe it but open minded to listen.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The paranormal can be that way.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when its open.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Davidson stressed that his organization has absolutely no affiliation with the Flat Earth Society. That organization’s ideas, he told me firmly, are laughable.
    I bet it would be a good time - except all their jokes will fall flat.
    lol.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I wouldn't dismiss them as laughable, hard to believe certainly. In the realm of junk science? Maybe. I listen to enough of this on Coast to Coast am.

C2E SME

Just be careful that when your mind is so open it doesn't fall out.

I wouldn't dismiss them as laughable, hard to believe certainly. In the realm of junk science? Maybe. I listen to enough of this on Coast to Coast am.
    Corus Radio has replaced Coast to Coast with a new Canadian program, the Shift with Drex. The host gleefully lambasted the idea on his show early this morning, and most of his callers agreed how ridiculous it was.

Crazy money spends as well as anyone else's; as long as they don't try and teach it in the schools, I'd rather they spend their money here then in Calgary

I would go for laughs, but I have a feeling I'd probably leave feeling sad for humanity and sorry for all those who actually believe this.

I supposed the spherical moon, sun, and other planets which we can clearly see rotating are all hoaxes just like every space mission that's ever happened, for the purpose of, what exactly?

I would also like to ask how a plane can fly from North America going east to Europe. Another can go from Europe heading east to Japan. And another can go from Japan heading east and end up back in North America. They all traveled east, so....

I find these people fall into a few groups. The clearly uneducated. The ignorant. The ones that enjoy the fad and want to jump on the bandwagon. And the one who do it just to stir #*&# up.

I wonder if attendees would insist their flights take a Mercator projection "straight" line rather than follow a great circle route

I just want the attendees to explain to me why no one has ever seen the "edge of the world", I have tried googling the answer but what I found was not satisfactory.

You have to be at a certain distance in order to to see the edge and curvature. I can't remember the distance from sea to land when a pilot I spoke with explained that theory to me.

Perhaps on land/by sea there's some sort of weird surface tension that make us unable to go over the edge.

But if you're flying, at some point you do reach the edge and there is no more earth before you (a round earth means no matter how much you fly, you can look around and see more earth around you in all directions). How do they explain that no one has ever flown to where in front of them is the darkness of space and behind them is land/ocean?

Is there a force field/reverse event horizon that is preventing people from ever reaching the edge?

I think i misunderstood your original question. Where refering to the point of view if earth was flat, or were you talking the curvature edge.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I think i misunderstood your original question. Where refering to the point of view if earth was flat, or were you talking the curvature edge.
    I’m having trouble getting things straight too. I hope we’re all not flat-out wrong here.

Now if space is curved, can that make some curves straight? And if space is curved and I’m ‘looking straight’ towards the horizon, am I actually ‘looking curved’?

^^ I was referring the what would basically be equalivent to a cliff into space (not why the earth despite being flat looks like it has curvature).

^ Well, if we live in a funnel earth, then straight actually is a curve (like those coin donation funnels)

Earth looks perfectly round from far distance, but zoom in we know it is not precisely round. From ground zero ( seal level ) we known that there are various land elevations

Californian limousine driver, 61, used homemade rocket to blast himself 1,000 ft into the sky
    The 'flat-Earther', who has spent around US$20,000 pursuing his rocket dream since 2016, said he was 'relieved' to have finally achieved his goal

A self-taught rocket scientist blasted himself into the California sky on Saturday using a steam-powered contraption he built in his garage in a project to prove the Earth is flat.

Mike Hughes, a 61-year-old limousine driver, activated the parachute on his homemade rocket after propelling himself to 1,875ft in the air above the Mohave Desert on Saturday afternoon.

The rocket, which lifted off with no countdown shortly after 3pm local time, reached speeds of 350mph before it began its descent back to earth. Mr Hughes deployed a second parachute after he began falling too fast. He was visibly dazed as he was lifted from his seat and checked over by paramedics after a hard landing.

“This thing wants to kill you 10 different ways,” he told the Associated Press. “This thing will kill you in a heartbeat. Am I glad I did it? Yeah. I guess,” he said. “I’ll feel it in the morning. I won’t be able to get out of bed. At least I can go home and have dinner and see my cats tonight.”

The height Mr Hughes reached would not have been sufficient for him to ascertain whether the Earth is curved.

The “flat-Earther”, who has spent around $20,000 (pounds 14,000) pursuing his rocket dream since 2016, said he was “relieved” to have finally achieved his goal after several aborted attempts and ridicule from some sceptics.

“I’m tired of people saying I chickened out and didn’t build a rocket. I manned up and did it.” Mr Hughes converted a mobile home into a ramp for the rocket, and worked on the project in his garage. Last year, he was forced to postpone a take-off attempt from an abandoned runway at Amboy, a ghost town about 200 miles east of Los Angeles, after the motorhome broke down.

Mr Hughes, who plans to stand for governor of California, has the support of the flat-Earth community, who helped fund the mission, and eventually wants to build a “Rockoon” — a rocket that is carried into the atmosphere by a gas-filled balloon — to take him high enough to photograph the planet from space.

What that guy did with his homemade rocket is crazy, but impressive.

He wants to run for governor next? He has already won my vote!

The guys on BBC's Top Gear should try that.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

More here

Canada’s first Flat Earth conference arrives in Edmonton – Edmonton Journal

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...es-in-edmonton

Honestly, I think too many of these people have had too much to eat and not enough work to do.

But it's all politics anyway. Science, even heretic science, has nothing to do with it.

I love the way Mark Sargent in the CBC video says "...you guys..." with a sinister overtone and points to the reporter during his interview.

Ironic appreciation aside, Patricia Steere's web page adverising the event has a nice shot of the Edmonton skyline.

But no new Walterdale or Ice District towers.

Iím surprised at the number of people that feel they need to make a serious argument against these flat earthers. People should give their head a shake and have a laugh for a change.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 12-08-2018 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    But no new Walterdale or Ice District towers.
    Count your blessings. If there were, IanO would be posting the information all over the forums.

I’m surprised at the number of people that feel they need to make a serious argument against these flat earthers. People should give their head a shake and have a laugh for a change.
    Lately I don't find much amusing about the fringe conspiracy theory types.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    I’m surprised at the number of people that feel they need to make a serious argument against these flat earthers. People should give their head a shake and have a laugh for a change.
    As far as conspiracy theorists go, the flat-earthers are realtively benign. Unlike the neo-nazis etc, they're not promoting hatred against minorities, nor are they advocating quack medical ideas, like the anti-vaxxers. And even by the stanards of pseudo-science, their ideas are so far-gone, they likely won't attract many followers(as compared to creation-scientists).

Granted, flat-earth belief probably overlaps with a lot of the other, more sinister stuff(see the bio of Patricia Steere), but, in and of itself, doesn't really do a lot of harm.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

There's been a lot of stuff going on around the city recently, Carry West parade, this conference, the Anime thing and the gamer thing, folk fest, the Hlinka/Gretzky tournament, all leading up to the Fringe. Its nice to have a quiet rainy Sunday afternoon too sleep in after a challenging heat way.

As for the flat earther's, even if your don't subscribe to their belief, they might be worth listening.

Just curious. Has anyone actually fallen off the edge yet?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Was MrCombust the keynote speaker?

Apparently there is no such thing as Fosters and no shirmps on the barbie.

Flat-Earthers Just Held A Conference. Their Latest Theory Is Seriously Incredible

http://www.iflscience.com/editors-bl...ng-incredible/

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I wouldn't go out of my way to attend a conference of theirs or read any of their literature. At the same time, they can say what they want. They're not taking money out of my pocket, why should I care? End of story.

The problem as I see it is that is that this is a near universally held belief - the Earth is round - so if some feel this is debatable, despite the enormous amount of scientific evidence backing it up, then these are people who ignore facts. I wouldn't even engage people like this in a debate, as they clearly aren't rational people.

The problem as I see it is that is that this is a near universally held belief - the Earth is round - so if some feel this is debatable, despite the enormous amount of scientific evidence backing it up, then these are people who ignore facts. I wouldn't even engage people like this in a debate, as they clearly aren't rational people.
    They are somewhat rational, though, in one frightening way.

I think most of them have embraced flat-earthism after concluding that "the authorities" are not to be trusted at all, in any way whatever, no matter how far removed from issues of social control.

Many people choose to discount the "state" -- the government and the social/economic/defence services it provides at public expense, through taxes -- as an agent of anything good (from here follows hyperdemocratic populism, gun fetishism, tax evasion, and all that). Our society tolerates this choice as a freedom of conscience or expression. But if you go there, it is rational, in fact logically consistent and inductively plausible, to conclude that "establishment" science is equally hokum. And so people talk of flat earth and deny climate change, all as a consequence of their sacred right to make a political choice.

Climate deniers have been brought up as somehow scientifically equivalent to flat earthers. In social terms they aren't equivalent all. For one thing, they need not even fall into the anti-authority camp, just into the consume-at-all-costs one. (Yes, the two camps overlap too significantly for comfort.) Consumption is popular, so it's easy to sway large numbers of people to the side of indifference and defeatism as a response to all action (no tax! no carbon tax! But what about China!). Perhaps flat-earthers are harmless, but climate deniers are not harmless at all. Think about it as your sky goes dark with the smoke of our pitiful burning planet.
    Last edited by AShetsen; 13-08-2018 at 06:56 PM.

Yup, I agree, the climate deniers are more dangerous.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

You know these people personally? Bolding is mine. I would not dismiss anyone as irrational. To do so would be imo, folly.

Climate alarmists are as dangerous as climate deniers.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Climate alarmists are as dangerous as climate deniers.
    Neither would matter one iota if we could elect rational people that are capable of objectively weighing information and where there are unknowns, weighing the risks that the future can’t be predicted by either side.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    As far as conspiracy theorists go, the flat-earthers are realtively benign. Unlike the neo-nazis etc, they're not promoting hatred against minorities, nor are they advocating quack medical ideas, like the anti-vaxxers. And even by the stanards of pseudo-science, their ideas are so far-gone, they likely won't attract many followers(as compared to creation-scientists).

Granted, flat-earth belief probably overlaps with a lot of the other, more sinister stuff(see the bio of Patricia Steere), but, in and of itself, doesn't really do a lot of harm.
    Yeah, my concern with flat-earthers and their ilk is that it's indicative of a strain of thought that seems to be becoming more prevalent in our society in the past decade or so: that experts and elites are not to be trusted. Whether you're talking about the shape of the earth, vaccine effectiveness, causes of of treatment for autism or cancer or basically any other health concern, the reality of climate change, the safety of GMO's, Brexit or any other controversial topic it seems like more and more people are less willing to trust the actual experts and instead are more than happy to just find some goofball on the internet who'll tell them something that fits with their deeply ingrained gut feelings, biases and prejudices. And there is a ton of charlatans out there who damn well know better, but know a good opportunity when they see one and are more than happy to profit from others' ignorance. Alex Jones being a recently prominent example.

Relevant: https://theness.com/neurologicablog/...ine-attitudes/

We found that 34 percent of U.S. adults in our sample feel that they know as much or more than scientists about the causes of autism. Slightly more, or 36 percent, feel the same way about their knowledge relative to that of medical doctors.
    A third of US adults think they know more about the causes of autism than scientists or doctors. That's mind boggling to me. And it has serious consequences.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 13-08-2018 at 10:17 AM.

That is because in a previous generation, information was fact checked, edited and approved before publishing by the newspapers, TV news and in scientific literature.

Now anyone can blog and access millions of people via the web with conspiracies, lies, fake news and outright false information. All unedited with with little or no factual basis.

Now we see the result of this.

C2E SME

A relevant video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe4feBH0ABk

I'm with Richard Dawkins. "Elitism" shouldn't be pejorative.

You know these people personally? Bolding is mine. I would not dismiss anyone as irrational. To do so would be imo, folly.
    evaneo, if a person believes the world is flat, they are not rational. There is ZERO evidence that the world is flat, and a mountain of evidence that it's round.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Just curious. Has anyone actually fallen off the edge yet?
    Gon off the edge at times but not fallen.

FWIW, this seems to be their preferred map of the world, so presumably the reason not many people are reported to have fallen off the edge is that they don't generally go that deep into Antarctica.
    Last edited by overoceans; 13-08-2018 at 11:56 AM.

For those of you who complain that Edmonton doesn't usually get included as part of the Rocky Mountains travel repertoire, looks like you now have some allies.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    A relevant video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe4feBH0ABk

I'm with Richard Dawkins. "Elitism" shouldn't be pejorative.
    You mean that Richard Dawkins who believes in a higher power?

C2E SME

huh?

Yeah, my concern with flat-earthers and their ilk is that it's indicative of a strain of thought that seems to be becoming more prevalent in our society in the past decade or so: that experts and elites are not to be trusted.
    Can you really blame them? I think movements like this is a symptom and a warning of the prevalence of exposed corruption and lies that are happening at all levels of society, all over the world.

For example, we see massive multi-billion dollar companies like Volkswagon caught lying and falsifying data about their own vehicle emission standards. We have tech companies like Apple caught deliberately slowing down their old iphones so people have to buy the new ones. We saw Facebook admitting to building databases and tracking information on people who don't even have accounts! Companies like Samsung admit to recording us in our own homes with their Smart TVs, then "losing" or selling a whole bunch of this data they collected without us knowing.

Pharmaceutical companies have been caught downplaying addiction risks of the opiate painkillers they produce, which has now created an epidemic of addicts all over the world.

Politicians all have agendas and they lie when necessary to meet those ends. Major leaks over the last few years published online by whistleblowers are only showing how much politicians have mislead us, and all we've learned is that it is more severe extent than anyone even thought.

Most news media companies are owned by either multibillionaire corporations (just like the ones caught lying to the public), or governments. They seemingly selectively bury some scandals and push others. They publish inflammatory headlines that persuade public opinions (whether intentional or not). Coupled with the fact that the number of errors in news has been increasing due to layoffs of editing department staff, and every outlet trying to be the first to report information "as it happens" instead of after it is verified, and the trust in professional journalism has been eroded as well.

Some people take this mistrust and skepticism of authority figures one step further, and question how honest the space agencies (note how all of them are government-owned) have been throughout history to us. Also consider that most of the contemporary data we have on space science and cosmology comes from these sources, and most space science research published today relies on that. Are most of these scientists being lied to as well? Also consider that if you want to visit or explore Antarctica, you need special permits from your government. Are governments hiding something about it?

Although I think blindly believing nothing is as foolish as believing everything, I cannot blame people who feel they are being lied to all the time, for getting fed up about it and deciding to completely mistrust everything that any "authority" claims. After all, we are seemingly being lied to by someone every day and at every level.

A lot of these flat earth people are fundamental Bible literalists, but many of them are just trying to find out "what other huge lies have I been told throughout my lifetime?"

But flat earther's are not the ones exposing all these issues. Most of the stories have been broken by the hard working men and women investigative reporters.

Yeah, my concern with flat-earthers and their ilk is that it's indicative of a strain of thought that seems to be becoming more prevalent in our society in the past decade or so: that experts and elites are not to be trusted.
    Can you really blame them? I think movements like this is a symptom and a warning of the prevalence of exposed corruption and lies that are happening at all levels of society, all over the world.

For example, we see massive multi-billion dollar companies like Volkswagon caught lying and falsifying data about their own vehicle emission standards. We have tech companies like Apple caught deliberately slowing down their old iphones so people have to buy the new ones. We saw Facebook admitting to building databases and tracking information on people who don't even have accounts! Companies like Samsung admit to recording us in our own homes with their Smart TVs, then "losing" or selling a whole bunch of this data they collected without us knowing.

Pharmaceutical companies have been caught downplaying addiction risks of the opiate painkillers they produce, which has now created an epidemic of addicts all over the world.

Politicians all have agendas and they lie when necessary to meet those ends. Major leaks over the last few years published online by whistleblowers are only showing how much politicians have mislead us, and all we've learned is that it is more severe extent than anyone even thought.

Most news media companies are owned by either multibillionaire corporations (just like the ones caught lying to the public), or governments. They seemingly selectively bury some scandals and push others. They publish inflammatory headlines that persuade public opinions (whether intentional or not). Coupled with the fact that the number of errors in news has been increasing due to layoffs of editing department staff, and every outlet trying to be the first to report information "as it happens" instead of after it is verified, and the trust in professional journalism has been eroded as well.

Some people take this mistrust and skepticism of authority figures one step further, and question how honest the space agencies (note how all of them are government-owned) have been throughout history to us. Also consider that most of the contemporary data we have on space science and cosmology comes from these sources, and most space science research published today relies on that. Are most of these scientists being lied to as well? Also consider that if you want to visit or explore Antarctica, you need special permits from your government. Are governments hiding something about it?

Although I think blindly believing nothing is as foolish as believing everything, I cannot blame people who feel they are being lied to all the time, for getting fed up about it and deciding to completely mistrust everything that any "authority" claims. After all, we are seemingly being lied to by someone every day and at every level.

A lot of these flat earth people are fundamental Bible literalists, but many of them are just trying to find out "what other huge lies have I been told throughout my lifetime?"

I'd like to go just to ask how you can fly east from North American to end up in Europe/Asia, and fly east again to end up back in North America. Is there a magic portal at the edge of the flat Earth that brings you back to the opposite edge of the world?

Also, if it IS flat, then sunrise and sunset would happen at the same time all over the world. But it doesn't...
    Last edited by alkeli; 13-08-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Oh, trust me - they will come up with an explanation or "solution" to each of your questions there. In fact, the "flat earth" arguments might even might make some sense in a superficial way, but they have to disregard fields such as astronomy and geography, usually constructing arguments in the same style that young earth creationists make when disregarding things like paleontology and evolutionary biology. It's not really worth thinking about very much.

That said, I actually think that asking students to debunk some flat earther arguments might make for some good critical thinking exercises in university astronomy and physics classes.

Quote Originally Posted by alkeli View Post
    I'd like to go just to ask how you can fly east from North American to end up in Europe/Asia, and fly east again to end up back in North America. Is there a magic portal at the edge of the flat Earth that brings you back to the opposite edge of the world?

Also, if it IS flat, then sunrise and sunset would happen at the same time all over the world. But it doesn't...
    MrOilers controls the sun's dimmer switch....

Honestly I think the whole thing is just a joke gone too far because so many people are buying into it and have someone been convinced due to lack of scientific and general common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by alkeli View Post
    Honestly I think the whole thing is just a joke gone too far because so many people are buying into it and have someone been convinced due to lack of scientific and general common sense.
    My understanding is that, contrary to the pop history, it was never a widespread belief that the earth was flat. Even so-called primitive cultures usually conceived it as being at least semi-spherical, eg. thinking it was the shell of a turtle.

With the debates around evolution and other science vs. religion controversies, however, proponets of science started using "You probably think the earth is flat, too!" as a general insult against their opponents, and eventually, some people took up the belief sincerely, probably thinking, incorrectly, that it was a previously mainstream theory now being marginalized. So, of course(the thinking would go) there must be something there worth exploring.

The people at the Edmonton conference seem fairly sincere(they'd have to be, to spend the kind of money it must cost to rent rooms at Fantasyland and travel from all over), and probably started out in New Agey circles.

My feeling is someone has to so far down the conspiracy path to believe this they're already doing harm. They likely already subscribe to a large chunk of the harmful groups.

The harmful groups?

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    The harmful groups?
    Yes, like the ones where they'd rather let their kid die than go to a doctor.