Thread: Flat Earth International Conference (Canada) 2018 | Edmonton

C2E SME

Default Flat Earth International Conference (Canada) 2018 | Edmonton

People from all four corners of the world are attending!

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...nal-conference
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Good one!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Anyone admitting they are attending?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

I hear that MrOilers is the keynote speaker. LOL
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Oh, I've considered going just for the shear hilarity of the thing.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

MrCombust will be presented the annual Tinfoil Hat Award for his diligent work on exposing the TRUTH...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Oh, I've considered going just for the shear hilarity of the thing.
    In cognito of course right ?

^Hah, I'm 6'8"... I can't do incognito.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Just go as I do...an innocent bailiff

http://oldafsarge.blogspot.ca/2014/0...art-first.html
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

Tell them you can see Russia from your front yard!
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Open to members only, hotel space wont be at a premium during this event. Unless its hosted by George Noory.

The truth about climate change thread has been inactive all day today!
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I hear that MrOilers is the keynote speaker. LOL
    What

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Just go as I do...an innocent bailiff

http://oldafsarge.blogspot.ca/2014/0...art-first.html
    ooookay...

except that richard could probably get away with more than you could.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I recall reading somewhere that it is more-or-less a myth that people at one time widely believed the Earth was flat. Even in the days when they thought the sun went around the Earth, they still knew that the planet had a round shape.

So people in the contemporary era claiming to be flat-earthers are not, as they might imagine, reviving an earlier belief system(though there were a few ancient philosophers of limited influence who believed it was flat, and probably some scattered tribal groups here and there, especially if they had never seen the ocean.)

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I did a bit more research on this group flat Earth society. This is not some New Age notion but has a dedicated following of learned academics. The group and its members have worked at this a long time. You can read more about them here:

https://theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

ooookay...

except that richard could probably get away with more than you could.
    Yeah...like be funny...which I am obviously not...
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

I did a bit more research on this group flat Earth society. This is not some New Age notion but has a dedicated following of learned academics. The group and its members have worked at this a long time. You can read more about them here:

From the Paula Simon article:
    Davidson stressed that his organization has absolutely no affiliation with the Flat Earth Society. That organization’s ideas, he told me firmly, are laughable.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/c...rth-conference

Davidson stressed that his organization has absolutely no affiliation with the Flat Earth Society. That organizationís ideas, he told me firmly, are laughable.
    I bet it would be a good time - except all their jokes will fall flat.

Would Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland) be appropriate reading? (Annotated: http://physicstoday.scitation.org/do...1063/1.1580052)
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

When I go on YouTube, these flat earth clips keep on popping up, so they're actually gaining quite strong momentum. I think people are just starting to question the standard knowledge of science that we know it as of today. I'm open minded enough to hear what they have to say just as much as I'm open minded to the ' Nibiru/Wormwood' topic. The latter aspect has quite strong evidence on You Tube which includes Dr Claudia Albert reports. Dr Alber is a physicist. There are weird orbs in the sky captured by cameras all over the world. One example is the Alaskan sky cam. Heh, it wasn't too long ago someone challenged the head of the church and science community that earth was not the centre of the universe or our solar system. He was also ridiculed and laughed at. That said, I don't necessarily believe it but open minded to listen.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The paranormal can be that way.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when its open.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Davidson stressed that his organization has absolutely no affiliation with the Flat Earth Society. That organization’s ideas, he told me firmly, are laughable.
    I bet it would be a good time - except all their jokes will fall flat.
    lol.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I wouldn't dismiss them as laughable, hard to believe certainly. In the realm of junk science? Maybe. I listen to enough of this on Coast to Coast am.

C2E SME

Just be careful that when your mind is so open it doesn't fall out.

I wouldn't dismiss them as laughable, hard to believe certainly. In the realm of junk science? Maybe. I listen to enough of this on Coast to Coast am.
    Corus Radio has replaced Coast to Coast with a new Canadian program, the Shift with Drex. The host gleefully lambasted the idea on his show early this morning, and most of his callers agreed how ridiculous it was.

Crazy money spends as well as anyone else's; as long as they don't try and teach it in the schools, I'd rather they spend their money here then in Calgary

I would go for laughs, but I have a feeling I'd probably leave feeling sad for humanity and sorry for all those who actually believe this.

I supposed the spherical moon, sun, and other planets which we can clearly see rotating are all hoaxes just like every space mission that's ever happened, for the purpose of, what exactly?

I would also like to ask how a plane can fly from North America going east to Europe. Another can go from Europe heading east to Japan. And another can go from Japan heading east and end up back in North America. They all traveled east, so....

I find these people fall into a few groups. The clearly uneducated. The ignorant. The ones that enjoy the fad and want to jump on the bandwagon. And the one who do it just to stir #*&# up.

I wonder if attendees would insist their flights take a Mercator projection "straight" line rather than follow a great circle route

I just want the attendees to explain to me why no one has ever seen the "edge of the world", I have tried googling the answer but what I found was not satisfactory.

You have to be at a certain distance in order to to see the edge and curvature. I can't remember the distance from sea to land when a pilot I spoke with explained that theory to me.

Perhaps on land/by sea there's some sort of weird surface tension that make us unable to go over the edge.

But if you're flying, at some point you do reach the edge and there is no more earth before you (a round earth means no matter how much you fly, you can look around and see more earth around you in all directions). How do they explain that no one has ever flown to where in front of them is the darkness of space and behind them is land/ocean?

Is there a force field/reverse event horizon that is preventing people from ever reaching the edge?

I think i misunderstood your original question. Where refering to the point of view if earth was flat, or were you talking the curvature edge.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I think i misunderstood your original question. Where refering to the point of view if earth was flat, or were you talking the curvature edge.
    I’m having trouble getting things straight too. I hope we’re all not flat-out wrong here.

Now if space is curved, can that make some curves straight? And if space is curved and I’m ‘looking straight’ towards the horizon, am I actually ‘looking curved’?

^^ I was referring the what would basically be equalivent to a cliff into space (not why the earth despite being flat looks like it has curvature).

^ Well, if we live in a funnel earth, then straight actually is a curve (like those coin donation funnels)

Earth looks perfectly round from far distance, but zoom in we know it is not precisely round. From ground zero ( seal level ) we known that there are various land elevations

Californian limousine driver, 61, used homemade rocket to blast himself 1,000 ft into the sky
    The 'flat-Earther', who has spent around US$20,000 pursuing his rocket dream since 2016, said he was 'relieved' to have finally achieved his goal

A self-taught rocket scientist blasted himself into the California sky on Saturday using a steam-powered contraption he built in his garage in a project to prove the Earth is flat.

Mike Hughes, a 61-year-old limousine driver, activated the parachute on his homemade rocket after propelling himself to 1,875ft in the air above the Mohave Desert on Saturday afternoon.

The rocket, which lifted off with no countdown shortly after 3pm local time, reached speeds of 350mph before it began its descent back to earth. Mr Hughes deployed a second parachute after he began falling too fast. He was visibly dazed as he was lifted from his seat and checked over by paramedics after a hard landing.

“This thing wants to kill you 10 different ways,” he told the Associated Press. “This thing will kill you in a heartbeat. Am I glad I did it? Yeah. I guess,” he said. “I’ll feel it in the morning. I won’t be able to get out of bed. At least I can go home and have dinner and see my cats tonight.”

The height Mr Hughes reached would not have been sufficient for him to ascertain whether the Earth is curved.

The “flat-Earther”, who has spent around $20,000 (pounds 14,000) pursuing his rocket dream since 2016, said he was “relieved” to have finally achieved his goal after several aborted attempts and ridicule from some sceptics.

“I’m tired of people saying I chickened out and didn’t build a rocket. I manned up and did it.” Mr Hughes converted a mobile home into a ramp for the rocket, and worked on the project in his garage. Last year, he was forced to postpone a take-off attempt from an abandoned runway at Amboy, a ghost town about 200 miles east of Los Angeles, after the motorhome broke down.

Mr Hughes, who plans to stand for governor of California, has the support of the flat-Earth community, who helped fund the mission, and eventually wants to build a “Rockoon” — a rocket that is carried into the atmosphere by a gas-filled balloon — to take him high enough to photograph the planet from space.

What that guy did with his homemade rocket is crazy, but impressive.

He wants to run for governor next? He has already won my vote!