Thread: Alberta spas, salons and barbershops can now apply for liquor licences

Default Alberta spas, salons and barbershops can now apply for liquor licences

From Global News:
    Quote Originally Posted by Global News

Alberta spas, salons and barbershops can now apply for liquor licences:

“We are always working with industry to see how we can modernize policies to meet new and emerging business opportunities,” Michelle Hynes-Dawson said in an emailed statement. “We have heard from a number of interested business people over the past couple of years who were in support of this change.”

Leading the charge was Lisa Maric, owner of Distilled Beauty Bar & Social House. Her business in the Marda Loop neighbourhood of Calgary is part salon, part bar, part coffee house.
    She received a liquor licence from the AGLC before opening her doors in January 2017 – and it was renewed this past January – before finding out in late February that the licence had been issued in error.

“It was stressful for the team because [serving liquor] does represent a uniqueness about us and something that we take pretty seriously,” Maric said on Thursday afternoon. “To be quite honest, it was very stressful from the moment it happened and then over the days when we started to see the support, I thought, ‘No, I think this is going to be OK.'”

Maric said Ceci called her Thursday morning to let her know about the changes to the licence rules and she was immediately, “pretty excited and overwhelmed” that her business – and her supporters – were so crucial in making a major change.

“If you were close to Distilled this morning, you would have heard a ‘Woohoo!’” Maric laughed. “My staff was high-fiving all around. We were pretty excited.”

It’s welcome news for Calgary’s Bike and Brew. The business is trying to break into the booze business.

The shop is a mixed-use retail shop, servicing and selling bikes but also doubling as a café.

“We wanted [the store] to be open where you can come in and have a beer and look at your bikes while your bike is getting serviced,” co-owner Weston Covert said.

According to Covert, the shop had applied several times for a liquor licence for the café side but had been denied by the AGLC.

“Some of the reasons had been that we are a mixed-use business, being that we are a retail shop that also has a café in it,” he said.

“The AGLC is a little unsure of what to do when you have two mixed uses because generally you’re a retail or you’re a bar or restaurant and we are trying to combine the two,” he said.

Covert said he was excited about the news on Thursday, hoping the government will continue expanding to other types of mixed-use businesses.

“I feel there’s a lot of similarities between what [Distilled Beauty Bar] is doing and what we’re doing. They’re providing a service and so are we.”

Like a restaurant or a bar, any salon, spa or barbershop would have to apply for what’s known as a class B licence.

“This is not a new type of licence, so the process is existing and well-established,” Hynes-Dawson said.

The applicant must meet a number of requirements, like offering esthetic services, meeting municipal safety codes, offering hot or cold food and ensuring staff members serving liquor have completed the ProServe training certification.
    Here's Rob Breakenridge's inteview with salon owner from 770 CHQR in Calgary.

Ryan Jespersen interviewed the owner of Weekly Trim True in the Mercer Building about the change, and he seemed interested in the idea, having explored it before, but running into too much regulation. As Jespersen suggested, it would be a good fit for that business in particular; you could get a whole crew of people getting their hair done, having drinks while their friends finish, and then proceeding for a night on the town or an Oilers game.

Good political optics on Minister Ceci's part; he intervened directly and thus gets the credit after hearing about the issue on budget day, no less.
    Last edited by Ustauk; 09-03-2018 at 11:52 AM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Happy to see the AGLC moving towards more liberal-minded policies like this one.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Cool. Went to a great place in PV and had a really good drink while getting a cut when I was there last. Given the cost with a good 30% tip of only 300 pesos ($20) I was a happy guy. Here it will be $70+ with tip so I am unlikely to partake.

LOL. How dare you exposed my secret! When i was in Designing apparel and had clients requesting custom wear, i specify to my staff to bring out champagne, pour it for them, and tell them i was still tied up and will see them shortly. Two bottles of champagnes later, their logical process is out the window. In I come, the dress went from a specified budget to a much higher budget. Mind you, these are beyond wealthy clients and didnt affect their wallets lol. I learned this from the young days of clubbing as i dont drink accept the odd ocassions. Alchol diminishes common sense, particuliarly these women as they enjoy competing and out doing each other. I would never manipulate real sane people though.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

There were places offering and serving clients Liquors as far back as the 60's 70's 80's. Top end establishments that were doing it and not too discretely either. They would have bottles in plain view and you'd just say what you wanted that was complimentary as part of their service. This was pretty build into the pricing of the establishments though.

It was strange too as ALCB had total restrictive covenant at that time with no private vendors and yet this kind of premium service went on. There were places that did Tux rentals and designer suits that had the same policy. Free drink while getting sized up etc. Even some wedding photographers that would throw a bottle of champagne around. All of this stuff had often been condoned, if not officially allowed.

More than anything this is perhaps just a way for govt to get in on the action with licencing fees. Which if anything means that less establishments will be doing it now that licensing is required and certainly not complimentary.
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-03-2018 at 03:03 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Licensing is fine as the rewards of illogical pretentiousness is quite handsomely rewarded.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I've always had champagne , at several spas in Edmonton..

As noted above, serving of complimentary beverages at various businesses was and is not uncommon when the serving high end, high mark up offerings.

The the services offered at the business in question, Distilled Beauty Bar and Social House, seem priced more along the lines of a regular salon, so the markup wouldn't be enough to cover a bottle of champagne. I'm sure they still give the occasional free drink, but their business model is based on them being both a bar and a salon, meaning you could go have a drink while waiting for a friend to get their hair or nails done,or a stagette could start early while the party goers wait for the bride to have a treat from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    As noted above, serving of complimentary beverages at various businesses was and is not uncommon when the serving high end, high mark up offerings.

The the services offered at the business in question, Distilled Beauty Bar and Social House, seem priced more along the lines of a regular salon, so the markup wouldn't be enough to cover a bottle of champagne. I'm sure they still give the occasional free drink, but their business model is based on them being both a bar and a salon, meaning you could go have a drink while waiting for a friend to get their hair or nails done,or a stagette could start early while the party goers wait for the bride to have a treat from them.
    I can't imagine a serene spa, with people whooping it up..sounds mad to me

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

Can't imagine people will be "whooping it up" in a salon. It's not a night club to go get drunk and pick up chicks. It's about time this come to fruition...in the States - I always enjoy a few Heineken's whilst getting a massage or pedicure....

If one has addictions is there such thing as timeline or location factors?

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

Can't imagine people will be "whooping it up" in a salon. It's not a night club to go get drunk and pick up chicks. It's about time this come to fruition...in the States - I always enjoy a few Heineken's whilst getting a massage or pedicure....
    I'll enjoy my massage without the help of booze..do I stop in the middle of a massage for a sip? How about wet nails ? Hilarious!

^
    I suspect the average patron has a beverage or two while waiting at the bar for anspot to open up, or following their appointment. The business model must be working for Distilled, as they were concerned they may have to close if they couldn't get a liquor license, as their customers had come to expect liquor service.