Thread: City's rosy job posting boasts of an Edmonton without racism, poverty

Default City's rosy job posting boasts of an Edmonton without racism, poverty

I'm breaking my self-imposed silence because it's not often I agree so strongly with Paula Simons. She's right on the money this time.

http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/c...racism-poverty
    City's rosy job posting boasts of an Edmonton without racism, poverty

Yes. The City of Edmonton has launched a “world wide” executive search for a person to head up the city’s communications department. And let’s just say, someone really wanted to sell the city to applicants who might not know about Edmonton.

The job posting invites people from around the world to a city that sounds like a cross between Xanadu, the Emerald City of Oz and Wakanda.

It turns out this isn't the only time the city has used these lies in their recruitment process. Here's a link to a job posting for the Deputy Operations Manger using a different headhunter that uses the same wording. Clearly the wording came from the city, not from the headhunter.

https://daviespark.com/site/wp-conte...f-Edmonton.pdf

Some of the juicier excerpts:

We are an uplifting city that embodies the spirit and intent of Treaty No. 6. where prosperity is shared and enjoyed by all, whether your ancestors date back 8000 years or you just arrived last week.

This is a city for all, connected and cooperative — a we city, not a me city.

We are the most family-friendly big city in Canada; a safe and inclusive city that’s free from racism. No one lives on the street, and no one is trapped in poverty.

We embrace outdoor activity year round —particularly in our river valley — which contributes to a healthier population that is more productive and experiences fewer chronic diseases.

The Edmonton Metro Region is a global powerhouse in the areas of technology, life sciences, design, manufacturing, food, and logistics.

Edmonton is interconnected and efficient thanks to higher density near key locations and roadways, and to a transportation system that adapts to changing technology.

Edmonton lives up to its reputation as a leader in open and transparent governance.

We leave things better than we found them.
    The nauseating verbiage would be bad enough by itself but to combine it with outright lies is distasteful and dangerous.

Fact: people do live on the street in Edmonton. The most recent statistics indicate twice as many street dwellers in Edmonton than Calgary and almost as many as much-larger Toronto (source).

Fact: there is no way to prove anywhere is the most "family friendly".

Fact: chronic disease rates are not lower in Edmonton. Using COPD as an example, its case rate is higher than Calgary's (source). There's no reason to believe Edmonton is statistically better in any chronic disease category.

Fact: Edmonton is not a global powerhouse in anything--except perhaps in closed and opaque city governance. Quite the opposite of what's claimed in the posting.

The whole mess does nothing but illustrate just how out-of-touch and insular city administration has become.
    Last edited by OffWhyte; 25-04-2018 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Typo

Bingo. Sounds like something Bill Smith and his gang would have written except it would have been about shopping malls and interchanges. Same poop different pile.Something is rotten in Denmark.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Amazed at how this got out.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

This requires a world wide search??? At my employer we can use recruiters if we have exhausted every possible other aveune in finding someone. Recruiters typically take a fee of 25%, I can only hope this is not common practice with the city. Oh never mind that explains the 5% year over year property tax increases while the City of Calgary has been reducing the last few years due to fiscal constraint in the same economic environment.

C2E SME

Just state the facts about the city. Every city has problems with poverty and racism.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

It’s really appalling that anyone would even think that making such claims is at all acceptable. Hence I think it has to be an error in editing. (Really quite inexplicable though as I imagine this HR material passes in front of a lot of eyes.)

No one lives on the street - yeah they live in the back lanes, under bridges and in the river valley.

Something has to have been dropped from this such as “We aim to create a city where... there is no racism, no one lives on the streets...”

Well it turns out Hanlon's razor applies again. Except in this case rather than attributing the blunder to stupidity it should likely be attributed to laziness.

Why? Because the city seems to have plagiarized their own "Vision 2050" strategic plan on at least two job postings. The entire offending passage was lifted word for word without attribution from page 2 of the following document and placed devoid of context on the job descriptions thereby turning the CoE human resources department into either slackers, cheaters, or liars depending upon which way the razor slices.

https://www.edmonton.ca/city_governm...2050-goals.pdf

C2E SME

Embarrassing. And shameful. Someone ought to be fired, if not several people. What the hell is going on with Administration in this city?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Now they added a prefix of "In 2050" ,

https://twitter.com/Paulatics/status...766009856?s=07

It doesn't make the text on this job application any better. In fact, by not pulling this entire description and just making a realistic new version....

...simply demonstrates how we need an overhaul. The issue is not about having a 2050 prefix to provide content...it's about not putting such lofty aspirations in a job description for a tactical position.

Vision statements need not apply.
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Am I correct in saying that this company that they hired is in CALGARY? If so ,it makes this cocka-rocka all the more disturbing.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Embarrassing. And shameful. Someone ought to be fired, if not several people. What the hell is going on with Administration in this city?
    It was basically just a typo.

As someone that worked with and reviewed very large numbers*, I realized that the very same type of error can elicit very different reactions depending on whether it occurred further to the left or to the right in a dollar amount.

Just like all the mistakes everyone makes in a daily basis, no harm no foul. If someone does harm, then a whole lot of people that made the very same mistake the day before express huge amounts of shock and outrage over the other person’s error.

As for all these cornball aspirational vision zero things, I wish they’d tone them down a bit.

And I note that they talk about no racism, but not about no municipal debt, or no deficit spending or no more hiring freezes, or no layoffs if job losses of no excessive councillors salary increases...

* 3/100ths of a percent on dollar impacts was one of the tolerance limits I dealt with for years with multiple auditors checking my work. And by nature, I’m not a detail person.
    Last edited by KC; 26-04-2018 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Oh if you only knew the half of it. So I thought Simon Fairbrother was the source of all the city's problems???? He's been gone, what three years now? Time to start looking at his replacement who was supposed to clean all these departments up.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

As someone who currently works and volunteers with homeless and street involved youth, many of whom are aboriginal or other visible minorities and who experience racism on a daily basis, I find this entire thing outright insulting. Itís infuriating to know this city canít get anything right. I have no confidence in this cityís administration. From missing funds to missing lamp posts that were supposed to be finalized on Jasper Ave like 3 years ago, they canít get anything right. If I was city council, I would insist on sending people home, literally gutting entire departments and rebuilding them. Iím tired of the wasted millions and millions of dollars. Iím tired of paying an arm and a leg and getting so little in return. This city really could be world class if only it took this kind of **** seriously. City councilís failure to take care of this gong show has me seeing red. Something needs to be done.