Thread: Year-round fountain downtown

Default Year-round fountain downtown

Itís been a slow news ideas day. In fact here on c2e the ideas are barely flowing.

So....

How about creating an outdoor fountain somewhere downtown that can run continuously. (Of course, sadly, it would be chained off or elevated or somehow separated from people and not have a moat of any kind to avoid the otherwise inevitable drownings and urinations.)

However with todayís lighting it could look great at all hours.

Last edited by KC; 27-04-2018 at 07:40 AM.

Silly thread KC.

Year round fountains do not work at -30C. Have you figured out the fact of 167 days below 0C yet?

As for the summer, Have you been to DT in the last dozen years or so???

We have large fountains at City Hall and the Legislature building.

And many, many more

Rundle Park

Glenora

WEM
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 27-04-2018 at 08:02 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

A fountain of that road brine? 50/50 glycol?

I guess a toxic fountain is less than ideal.

Just heat it? Woundn't work with a spray fountain that would turn into a snow machine, but you could do it with a reflecting pool with a simple waterfall. It works for hot tubs all over the city so there's no reason it couldn't work for a fountain but I'm not sure it would be worthwhile.

If we're going to have heated outdoor water year round I would much prefer a swimmable outdoor spa/warm pool/ artificial hot springs.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Silly thread KC.

Year round fountains do not work at -30C. Have you figured out the fact of 167 days below 0C yet?

As for the summer, Have you been to DT in the last dozen years or so???

We have large fountains at City Hall and the Legislature building.

And many, many more

Rundle Park

Glenora

WEM
    Silly thread? Yes of course. They all are.

Lots of existing fountains. Well I guess you could say that we’ve got too many fountains already. (I grew up hanging out with a friend that lived on the Glenora fountain crescent. I guess I liked it too much.)

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    A fountain of that road brine? 50/50 glycol?

I guess a toxic fountain is less than ideal.

Just heat it? Woundn't work with a spray fountain that would turn into a snow machine, but you could do it with a reflecting pool with a simple waterfall. It works for hot tubs all over the city so there's no reason it couldn't work for a fountain but I'm not sure it would be worthwhile.

If we're going to have heated outdoor water year round I would much prefer a swimmable outdoor spa/warm pool/ artificial hot springs.
    And don’t forget. People don’t stop driving here in the winter. There’s glycol etc as anti-freeze in every vehicle with a radiator on the road, and then there’s the vast amounts of windshield wiper fluid 99% of more drivers spray out into the environment.

Also there’s all kinds of different fountain designs so it need not be a snow making machine (cool as that would be).
    Last edited by KC; 27-04-2018 at 08:48 AM.

These are cool!

And to be able to call something “phantasmagoric” is wonderful!

Winter Fountains - Association for Public Art

http://www.associationforpublicart.o...nterfountains/

https://goo.gl/images/T7FVf3
    Last edited by KC; 27-04-2018 at 09:07 AM.

^They are neat. But completely different that your OP

Compared to this

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    ^They are neat. But completely different that your OP

Compared to this

“Completely” different. I’m flexible. Completely different from your preconceived notions? Certainly. I had a number of fountain ideas in my head at the same time including waterfall fountains as well as spray fountains. I get the impression you only think in terms of spray fountains.

I really don’t give a **** whether my ideas come to fruition or not. I’m not going to go out there and build one myself or make a bunch of money off others by promoting this or that scheme.

However they may inspire and challenge a few open creative minds to create something new and wonderful. These ideas might trigger someone to search and discover really easily doable things that might come to fruition.

Ever been to Lisrd Hot Springs?
    Last edited by KC; 27-04-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Yes I have been to Liard Hot Springs on the Alaska Highway several times in the 1980's, including once in winter at -25C.

Best hot springs in the world IMHO. Difference is that it is natural geothermal spring and costs nothing to run.

source

source

You started your thread with an open ended question and then state that I have preconceived notions. More like you are throwing an idea against a wall to see what sticks and complain when others are trying to figure out what you are driving at.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 27-04-2018 at 09:57 AM.

Ha ha. Highlander mentioned glycol, my first thought of a non-freezing liquid was vodka.

Those Philly 'fountains' look pretty cool though.