Thread: The Wedge (10344 Jasper Ave) | 10 stories | Proposed

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default The Wedge (10344 Jasper Ave) | 10 stories | Proposed

Vacant since the '90s, Jasper Avenue building could become The Wedge
    Building at 10344 Jasper could see 10 storeys of residential units plus commercial space

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...edge-1.4636558

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Continued Contributor

Just read up on the gem theatre. That’s a shame.

C2E SME

It's sad to see buildings like this go, but it's even more sad to see this building decaying over 20+ years.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

O'Connor is a realtor; aren't realtors supposed to know how to assess a building's condition better than the average person? I wish he didn't wait so long to do something about the Printz building. Anyways, it's good to finally see some movement on this.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Wasn't there a conceptual rendering posted in another thread a few months ago for something like this at that location? 10-ish storeys, ultra-skinny? Anyone remember what I'm talking about?
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

I think the building you are talking about was something IanO sketched-up 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    O'Connor is a realtor; aren't realtors supposed to know how to assess a building's condition better than the average person? I wish he didn't wait so long to do something about the Printz building. Anyways, it's good to finally see some movement on this.
    Buy heritage building.

Let it decay.

Say nothing can be done.

Build new.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

^^Multiple folks did up versions/iterations. Great to see though.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

It would be great to see something happen with this site. But I won't be holding my breath. Maybe Beljan will snap it up at some point down the road and make an actual go of it. Get on it Chris!

that little building isn't worth complaining about. nothing "heritage" about it !

I'd rather C2E than work!

Probably not much heritage but a lot of character and nostalgia which is what a lot of people are looking for.

I will miss the Birks diamond on that west wall.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Wasn't there a conceptual rendering posted in another thread a few months ago for something like this at that location? 10-ish storeys, ultra-skinny? Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

This was thrown about:

https://dsafit.com/project.html?project=33

Neither the exterior nor the interior provide any reason to preserve this building in any way. I am used to the "rinse, lather, repeat" comments and the fake-heritage foolishness, but I cannot understand it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post

This was thrown about:

It’s crap design.

So perfect for Edmonton is what you're saying?

^^huh?
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post

This was thrown about:

pretty nice actually !

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    It would be great to see something happen with this site. But I won't be holding my breath. Maybe Beljan will snap it up at some point down the road and make an actual go of it. Get on it Chris!
    Ha, we likely would be interested in this site. But I agree, I am not sure if Oliver will be ready to take this on when it comes time to pull the trigger. It's a tricky site and will be expensive to build. Not trying to rain on the parade but this isn't an easy one.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Ha, we likely would be interested in this site. But I agree, I am not sure if Oliver will be ready to take this on when it comes time to pull the trigger. It's a tricky site and will be expensive to build. Not trying to rain on the parade but this isn't an easy one.
    Don't think this one will ever get going.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Buy heritage building.

Let it decay.

Say nothing can be done.

Build new.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

What heritage? The structures on both sides are though.

Regarding the design "thrown about," it is acceptable to decent, but, IMO, it is nothing nice or spectacular.

For something like this, I would put the elevator in the middle, and do two suites. Each suite would have two floors where you would just walk right out the elevator into your suit. 3 sides all glass. This has potential for uniqe/avangarde high end.Regardless of how it is designed, it is nice to see movement here- if it goes ahead.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

At least one side of the building must have a blank wall just in case a skyscraper gets built right beside it.

How about something with cleaner lines and no exterior balconies?

NYC example (slightly taller)

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I was hoping for taller than 12 ( around 20 ) , but too tall is not that great in this area as there has to be respected balance to existing neighbors. The one you posted is surrounding by super tall structures hence why it looks good. 20 floors Hould be max imo.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I like 10 stories for this spot. Gives me hope it will actually be built.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilers99 View Post
    Why do you say that? As I'm not in the industry, I'm curious to know why.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I was hoping for taller than 12 ( around 20 ) , but too tall is not that great in this area as there has to be respected balance to existing neighbors. The one you posted is surrounding by super tall structures hence why it looks good. 20 floors Hould be max imo.
    By contrast, there I'd about a 5 story building of similar design to the left. The point was that if you make the exterior balconies into interior sun rooms, the exterior is far cleaner than the proposed design, regardless of height.

A 10 story skinny building can be made with much better curb appeal. IMHO
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oilers99 View Post
    Why do you say that? As I'm not in the industry, I'm curious to know why.
    Like Chris said, it's a tricky site and expensive to build given how tight it is and the limited overall size of the project. Edmonton doesn't have a large number of developers who specialize in this kind/type of development. Really, there's only one or two. I don't know who the current owner is, but they don't seem to have much of a track record of development in general, let alone a site/project like this. That's not intended as a slight in any way, and I hope they do make a go of it.

I always liked the Agency Building that used to be next to the Union Bank on Jasper. It was about 6 stories and not very wide. Maybe a modern take on it would look good here.

I agree. I think our family doctor was on the third floor back in the late 1960's

According to the original 1912 drawings it was 22 to 23 feet wide

http://www.edmontonsarchitecturalher...ency-building/

Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 30-04-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Great examples.
    www.decl.org

Check out 217 East Georgia Street in Vancouver. Very do-able, just need a market:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.27855...7i13312!8i6656
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

^ Except ugly yellow

The architects were so much better in 1912...

^ Agreed ... the entire block (well except for Melcor) is low rise.

Done nicely, could be a great addition.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    By contrast, there I'd about a 5 story building of similar design to the left. The point was that if you make the exterior balconies into interior sun rooms, the exterior is far cleaner than the proposed design, regardless of height.

A 10 story skinny building can be made with much better curb appeal. IMHO
    Who says you can't have both. I have always been puzzles as to why developers/architect designers fail such usage of a space
    Since architect was my true desire of a career, i have always envision a balcony to be used for all seasons. An easy solution for that is do your balcony wrapped with glazings then have a glass garage-lile door from the top to enclose. This way, it could be used for a green house or extra room come winter. The floors could have an easy removable laminate surface. I would call it 365 balcony as an option/feature If they want to do bbq, apply some sort of hood range. This is what I meant as something that is unique.it a very simple and pragmatic solution since condos are getting smaller. One other thing, the sliding door to the balcony could be built to be covered so that it gives a seamless affect when they apply the walls, and the tracks to the doors covered with the same laminate.
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 30-04-2018 at 06:48 PM.

Wow the Agency Building is so nice. Shame that they tore it down

..let's not start down this dark path.
    www.decl.org

Job No 276602461-002
    Description: To demolish an existing Commercial Use building and to construct a new eleven (11) Storey mixed-use building (Basement and Main Floor: Commercial Uses, Floors 2-11: 34 Dwelling Apartment House). (The Wedge Building)
    Plan NB Blk 3 Lot 157
    Applicant: HOLO - BLOK ARCHITECTURE INC.
    Create Date: 7/24/2018 3:33:59 PM

Yessss! *pending details
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

I’m really excited to see this. This will make that area significantly cooler.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Not much info on the architecture firm. Seems to specialize in maintaining or updating existing architecture drawings.
    http://holo-blok.com/#about

Exciting indeed and long overdue. Looking forward to the design.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

One more little step towards positive growth on Jasper ave.

Apparently I did a design for this about 9 yrs ago.

www.decl.org