Thread: Donít trust Expedia when searching for accommodation

Default Donít trust Expedia when searching for accommodation

This news story is very interesting. Anyone else ever encounter this nasty practice?

Firstly, I wonder if any locals are suffering the same fate. Local B&Bs etc should be checking.

Secondly, this might create better travel deals for vacationers. If Expedia is commonly acting in a such a predatory manner, one might be able to find cheaper if not better offerings by searching some other site besides Expedia.

So, what’s everyone’s favourite hotel search site?

No room at the Inn: Small B.C. lodge claims Expedia listed 'rooms unavailable' for 2 years

Travel booking giant blames 'glitch' for directing potential guests of Moon Water Lodge to dead-end site

Eric Rankin ∑ CBC Ne

“ "I find this a shocking and disgusting practice," says co-owner Lori Strandlund. "I feel like I've been robbed of thousands of dollars of business."

Her husband, Randy, is even more blunt in his criticism of Expedia.

"It's not about being competitive. It seems it's about cut-throat business practice."

The Strandlunds believe they're the latest victims of an online issue that landed Expedia in trouble in France and is the subject of a potential class action lawsuit in the U.S. — the travel site allegedly posting hotels that aren't its clients, listing them as "unavailable," then re-directing customers to member properties that pay Expedia a booking fee. “

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ears-1.4648991

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    So, whatís everyoneís favourite hotel search site?
    Expedia
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Google maps. Seriously. I use this many times to find a hotel I want in the area I want to be in.... then book right on the hotel's website.

Trivago when looking for a deal and don't care too much about location.

C2E SME

I've mostly been using Expedia (mostly out of laziness), but after reading that article, looks like I'll have to change. That is dishonest and shady as hell, and there is no doubt in my mind that it wasn't a "glitch". That's intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I've mostly been using Expedia (mostly out of laziness), but after reading that article, looks like I'll have to change. That is dishonest and shady as hell, and there is no doubt in my mind that it wasn't a "glitch". That's intentional.
    A consequence may be lower cost deals, maybe even on better accommodation, at some non-Expedia-listed accommodation.

Booked two hotels on Expedia last year. Paid a reasonable price, but both hotels were less than ideal. One lacked hot water and the other was like a creepy combo between the Lorraine Motel and the Bates Motel. Never again.

As far as deals, I much prefer FlightHub instead.

hopper app for flights!

Here is the frightening issue. When you search multiple booking sites, you are often dealing with one of Expedia''s companies.

Just four corporations now own most of the major online booking sites.

We're talking major inbreeding, folks.

This is not a complete list of what they own in the world (it would take pages), but here are some highlights:
    Expedia Inc.: Owns
    Expedia.com,
    Hotels.com,
    Hotwire.com,
    Venere.com,
    TripAdvisor.com ó plus TripAdvisor subsidiaries
    CruiseCritic.com,
    BookingBuddy.com,
    SmarterTravel.com,
    SeatGuru.com,
    AirfareWatchdog.com and
    IndependentTraveler.com.

Orbitz Worldwide: Owns
    Orbitz.com,
    CheapTickets.com and
    RatestoGo.com.

Sabre Holdings Inc.: Owns
    Travelocity.com,
    IgoUgo.com,
    LastMinute.com and the gigantic Sabre reservations system used by the travel industry.
    Travelocity also powers the search on Yahoo! Travel.

Priceline.com Inc.: Owns
    Priceline.com,
    Travelweb.com and
    Lowestfare.com.

According to June figures from Hitwise, which tracks popularity of travel Web sites, only MapQuest and Google Maps outrank Expedia, with Travelocity, Priceline, Yahoo! Travel, TripAdvisor, Orbitz, Hotwire and Hotels.com close behind.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifest...tes-story.html

Yelp is also in trouble with a class action lawsuit for deleted good reviews and posting fake bad reviews if you don't buy Yelp's advertising package.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 15-05-2018 at 08:29 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.