Thread: Edmonton Folk Festival 2018

Default Edmonton Folk Festival 2018

Here is the line-up of Performers. Tickets go on sale Saturday, June 2, 2018 at the Folk Fest Office 10115 - 97A Ave at 9:00 a.m. and on Ticketmaster at 10:00 a.m.https://edmontonfolkfest.org/festiva...s/alphabetical

C2E Long Term Contributor

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I haven't been very positive about EFF lineups and especially as Compared to Calgary Folk Festival that often bring in more mainstream acts but this looks like a good lineup and much better than CFF is offering this year.

Actually this seems like an exceptionally strong lineup. So much so that patrons could have a lot of difficulty deciding what show to be watching on which stage.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Default Full Performer Schedule

Less than a week to go!

Here is the complete Schedule including Workshops (just click on the Title to see who the Performers will be in the Workshops).

https://edmontonfolkfest.org/festiva...hedule/byVenue

A coupe of interesting ones will be DhakhaBrakha from Ukraine who were here a couple of years ago and also Alice Phoebe Lou. Here are bios with YouTube embedded Music Videos. Enjoy!

https://edmontonfolkfest.org/festiva...st/dakhabrakha

https://edmontonfolkfest.org/festiva...ice-phoebe-lou

If you're going, be sure to catch Steve Poltz. Great singer/songwriter and funny as hell.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Making my third attempt to see The Decemberists. Missed this once as I was out of town and last year for weather. This year my plane lands at 8pm on Thursday with luck I can make it to the site on time.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Great music last night at the Folk Festival with DhakhaBrakha filling in admirably on Main Stage for Tash Sultana. My favourite of the night although Buffy Sainte-Marie was great as were The Decemberists. Unfortunately did not catch much of the opener, Tinariwen.

One further thing of note other than the unnecessary Police presence, was someone needs to tell IanO that music actually takes place on Main Stage and that the Folk Festival is more than just the Beer Gardens!

^there is?

Thanks again though. We ended up watching from a bench on the top.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From YEG
    the Folk Festival is more than just the Beer Gardens!

That's just like your opinion, man.

Here's an Edmonton Journal article regarding how to get to the folk festival. In particular for pedestrians and cyclists:
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton Journal
    For those who wish to travel by bike, there will be a bike lock-up area behind the Muttart Conservatory, west from 96A Street and 96 Avenue. The city is reminding cyclists not to lock bikes on private property.

The funicular will be in operation for extended hours for those who wish to take a scenic route down to the river valley. It will operate 90 minutes after the festival ends each day. It will run until 12:30 a.m. on Thursday and Sunday and until 1:30 a.m. Friday and Saturday.
    Cross the bridge over Grierson Hill Road, take the elevator or stairs down from the Frederick G. Todd lookout, and follow the trail right / south to get to the Low Level Bridge to get to the Cloverdale neighbourhood. I took that way to Accidental Beach to check out water level a couple of weeks ago, and it worked well. Hoping to take it this weekend to actually use the beach
    Last edited by Ustauk; 10-08-2018 at 10:44 AM.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    I haven't been very positive about EFF lineups and especially as Compared to Calgary Folk Festival that often bring in more mainstream acts but this looks like a good lineup and much better than CFF is offering this year.

Actually this seems like an exceptionally strong lineup. So much so that patrons could have a lot of difficulty deciding what show to be watching on which stage.

Is the Edmonton folk music market full of folk music elites/snobs? ie: Folk Fest would never show Great Big Sea, but they would show (and have) the late Ron Hynes?
    Last edited by David Jackson; 10-08-2018 at 01:10 PM. Reason: grammar

So apparently lightning is a big thing in Houston and my plane left two hours late. Didn't make it to the Decemberists for a third time. My kids said they were great though.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Just saw pictures of the line up for the Beer Garden
    #FolkFestFail

Good thing you are not there to actually have to deal with and can instead mouth off from afar.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Not sure what happened there. Last year the only time there was any significant line was Saturday afternoon. We left the beer tent at 7 tonight and there was no line at all, came back that way for some dinner after eight and both lines were the among the longest I'd ever seen for the tent.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I was inadvertantly at the very first Folk Festival Demo in 1980. Or I think it was 1980. If I recall it took place on the North side, on the way into Riverdale. I could be wrong but can someone confirm that for me?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

The current situation is the kind of setup where corruption happens.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Is the Edmonton folk music market full of folk music elites/snobs? ie: Folk Fest would never show Great Big Sea, but they would show (and have) the late Ron Hynes?
    Wickham has always struck me as the type that booed when Bob Dylan and Robbie Robertson picked up an electric Guitar. It seems for decades one had to be a self died in the wool to make it on his stuffy stage. Its why I usually just headed to Calgary for their Folk Festival. But this lineup seems a lot more user friendly. I still don't get Shaky Graves though. Seems like all the time theres an artist I dislike and you just know they show up every year.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Had to bow out during Regina Spektor last night, and only stayed from noon to 4:30pm today, on account of the frigid temps and rain. But overall it was a solid weekend, and as usual, discovered plenty of great acts I wasn't familiar with prior to the festival. Highlights in this category included: The War and Treaty, Les Poules a Colin, John Craigie, Alice Phoebe Lou, Chastity Brown, & Mt. Joy. Also as usual, there were plenty of acts I wished to see but had to be triaged due to a wealth of great options. Can't wait 'til next year!
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Not sure what happened there. Last year the only time there was any significant line was Saturday afternoon. We left the beer tent at 7 tonight and there was no line at all, came back that way for some dinner after eight and both lines were the among the longest I'd ever seen for the tent.
    The postponed Tash Sultana Mainstage was moved to a Stage 3 Mini Concert Friday at 6 p.m. and the hill for that show was the biggest I have seen for that Stage. I understand that many of the attendees were there just because of her and the crowd looked like a Coachella-type crowd. With the Schedule change the Folk Festival offered to exchange Thursday tickets for Friday and vice versa and I understand there were quite a few exchanges for her.

Once she finished at around 7 p.m. it looked like her entire audience went to the Beer Garden and hence, with the temperature, the line-ups that didn't dissipate until Main Stage started with Neko Case at 9 p.m.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    I was inadvertantly at the very first Folk Festival Demo in 1980. Or I think it was 1980. If I recall it took place on the North side, on the way into Riverdale. I could be wrong but can someone confirm that for me?
    The first official Folk Festival was in 1980 at Gold Bar Park. Here is a link from the Peel Library Project at the U of A that allows you to click on Folk Festival Poster image from 1980 to only 2015 to see all Performers etc.

http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/folkfest.html

C2E SME

There was only a couple hours the entire weekend where there were big lines to get in to the beer gardens that I saw. Typically Thursday/Friday nights around 6pm or so it gets crazy for awhile, as everyone gets there at the same time after work. And then there'll be a few times earlier in the afternoon on Saturdays as people get there earlier and depending on who's playing the smaller stages. Otherwise, I didn't see it as too bad or unusual as compared to previous years. I just made sure I avoided those times and it was all good. A couple times the beer lines in the gardens themselves got pretty long, but again, nothing out of the ordinary that I saw.

It did seem like there were times where the washroom lines outside of the gardens had pretty large lines. At least it seemed that way to me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From YEG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    The postponed Tash Sultana Mainstage was moved to a Stage 3 Mini Concert Friday at 6 p.m. and the hill for that show was the biggest I have seen for that Stage. I understand that many of the attendees were there just because of her and the crowd looked like a Coachella-type crowd. With the Schedule change the Folk Festival offered to exchange Thursday tickets for Friday and vice versa and I understand there were quite a few exchanges for her.

Once she finished at around 7 p.m. it looked like her entire audience went to the Beer Garden and hence, with the temperature, the line-ups that didn't dissipate until Main Stage started with Neko Case at 9 p.m.
    Ahhh, that makes sense. Saturday things seemed to be running well there, the one time we went in when there was a substantial line there was enough outflow that we were in within ten minutes. We weren't there but it sounds like there weren't really any lines Sunday.