Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Eskimos 2018 Season and Grey Cup 2018

I'd rather C2E than work!

only spoiling factor is Dave Dickinson's ongoing sideline pouts. The man needs serious counselling.
    I have never liked him, there are many coaches I do like , he isn't one of them

Eskimos only had 3 penalties last game (and only 5 on Labour Day). Keeping up that kind of discipline will help them out A LOT.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I hope with the recent bad weather in the Ottawa region, wind isn't going to be a problem for the kicking game this afternoon.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

28-15 Ottawa. An exciting game actually but Esks blew it. Five touchdowns were called back in the game.

Esks cut one leg off again with stupid penalties at the worst times.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Esks deserved to be out of this by the first half. Ottawa had 3 TD's called back in first half in addition to their 12 first half points.

Overall pretty brutal game by the Eskimos and this one will leave a lot of head scratching and increase doubt within this club.

Seen this happen before but most of the players on this club are simply passengers prepared to just go through the motions and let somebody else get it done.

The team could not possibly look at this game tape and feel that even deserved to ever be in this game.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Same script as almost all of their losses.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The turning point to the Esks loss was Gables fumble in the first half.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    28-15 Ottawa. An exciting game actually but Esks blew it. Five touchdowns were called back in the game.
    Five? Good lord. We had a family emergency, so we didn't get to watch the game.. Maybe that's a good thing,

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I caught the first half. The D was pretty decent in the first half but as indicative by the score, looks like things fell apart. For once penalties for the Esks hadn't killed them.

Well, that's the last three hours when I could have watched paint dry that I'll spend on this middling franchise ...
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    I caught the first half. The D was pretty decent in the first half but as indicative by the score, looks like things fell apart. For once penalties for the Esks hadn't killed them.
    3 Red/black TD's were called back in the first half. The D gave up 450yds and 150yds rushing to an Ottawa offense that had been struggling in recent games. This game ought to have been over in the first half and would have been if the Esks had not been given huge breaks with the 3 TD's called back.

This was an all round ****** esks performance. Defensively or offensively. It was offensive.

Sunderland, who predicted a Grey Cup appearance, and who said trust me, should be made to have a press conference about a team that is sliding. This lineup just isn't good enough. So much turnover, so little leadership. So many holes.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Well, that's the last three hours when I could have watched paint dry that I'll spend on this middling franchise ...
    holy cripes, you disliked the game more than I did.

Its hilarious btw that the GC organizing crew that were talking about beating the previous sellout record of 6 days still haven't sold this out. Its like they're not even noticing there are still thousands of seats not sold. Around 3K.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    3 Red/black TD's were called back in the first half. The D gave up 450yds and 150yds rushing to an Ottawa offense that had been struggling in recent games. This game ought to have been over in the first half and would have been if the Esks had not been given huge breaks with the 3 TD's called back.

This was an all round ****** esks performance. Defensively or offensively. It was offensive.

Sunderland, who predicted a Grey Cup appearance, and who said trust me, should be made to have a press conference about a team that is sliding. This lineup just isn't good enough. So much turnover, so little leadership. So many holes.

The TD's that were called back were called back for good reason. There were at least three illegal blocks on the punt return TD. There was an illegal block on a linebacker on the short pass to the tight end on the third TD that was called back. The play was executed poorly. For the block to be legal the receiver needed to be behind the line of scrimmage not four yards over it. There was another illegal block on the first TD (hands to the face). That said Bene's bend but don't break defences are frustrating to say the least. They needed to make stops to get the ball back.

Very disappointing performance.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post

The TD's that were called back were called back for good reason. There were at least three illegal blocks on the punt return TD. There was an illegal block on a linebacker on the short pass to the tight end on the third TD that was called back. The play was executed poorly. For the block to be legal the receiver needed to be behind the line of scrimmage not four yards over it. There was another illegal block on the first TD (hands to the face). That said Bene's bend but don't break defences are frustrating to say the least. They needed to make stops to get the ball back.

Very disappointing performance.
    All round just a horrible outing. To me a demonstration of a club headed nowhere with very little leadership.

On D I can see that Boateng, Grymes, Sherritt were trying to make a difference. I actually think Sewell has not been good enough considering how much we now need him to be (not dismissing his performance, just that the lineup is weak) and that Bazzie needs to be better, needs to be an impact player. None of the secondary are playing that well.

On offense Gable continues to be unimpressive, we're dearly missing Walker, Reilly has been blown up so much this season and so much expectation on him I think he's finally wilting. He started well but by the end was just spearchucking balls anywhere and was angry. Didn't like what I saw there and never seen Reilly that ******. He was incensed by game end. The blown play by Williams and another fumble by Gable are plays he reacted to. These need to be our reliable players. Not guys fumbling a ball or tipping up another interception. That ball was right there. Zylstra makes that catch in a game situation that important. Walker makes that catch. So does Bowman even. Williams is immensely talented but still manages to be frustrating.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

At 7-6 is it now?

Esks making the playoffs doesn't fill me with confidence. If it wasn't for the failed attempt by R/B in the end zone in the first half, the score could have been 37-0 before the Esks got on the board in the 2nd half. Since I didn't see the 2nd half, was Reilly pulled from the game at that point?

No.

At 7-6 is it now?

Esks making the playoffs doesn't fill me with confidence. If it wasn't for the failed attempt by R/B in the end zone in the first half, the score could have been 37-0 before the Esks got on the board in the 2nd half. Since I didn't see the 2nd half, was Reilly pulled from the game at that point?
    Reilly completed his first 11 passes in the game. Its not like he was terrible. But basically any time Ottawa got on the field they driving the ball and eating clock. So the offense had trouble getting into any rhythm and Gable was **** again. But the 4th Reilly was just desperate and bombing away. But I don't blame him for being ****** off.

Not the definitive source maybe, but this week's Poistmedia power rankings have the EE ranked fifth. (behind CALGry, B.C., Ottawa and Sask.)

Did I say middlin' franchise?

Bedsides firing Ed Hervey and hiring Brock (let's sack the defensive line) Blunderland, what exactly has Len Rhodes done for this once proud franchise?
    ... gobsmacked

Why is someone who knows nothing about football the CEO of a football team?

It's a business.

More than anything else whoever is in charge has to know how to meelk.

Separate people.

From their money.

And keep costs as low as possible.

A business whose product is football. Put the ketchup salesman in a secondary role to meelk the people.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Well, with 5 games remaining, Maas better get his act together or management may be shopping for another HC next season if we don't make the playoffs. Third in the West at this stage is unacceptable.

@ Replacement: I shouldn't be so hard on Reilly, we were playing on the road, which hadn't helped any.

Well, with 5 games remaining, Maas better get his act together or management may be shopping for another HC next season if we don't make the playoffs. Third in the West at this stage is unacceptable.

@ Replacement: I shouldn't be so hard on Reilly, we were playing on the road, which hadn't helped any.

Watch them now, win win win..we still have the best QB..

This team is too inconsistent for my liking. At this time, I don't have confidence in us winning a playoff game, if we make it.

Inconsistent and undisciplined. Giving away a field's worth of penalties every game requires a team that's a lot more consistent and productive than the Esks are. And today there was a little report that there was fighting on the team during yesterday's practice and a couple or three guys had to be sent off the field. In my history of watching sports that's never been a good sign for a team that wants to win, no matter how it gets spun as "spirit" or "intensity."

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post
    This team is too inconsistent for my liking. At this time, I don't have confidence in us winning a playoff game, if we make it.

I'll send some extra good vibes..

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

pitiful

Worst game I have been to in years. Probably Reilly's worst game as a pro.

Yeah, that was brutal. Almost all on the offence too.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Worst game I have been to in years. Probably Reilly's worst game as a pro.
    Just got home from the game and I was going to post the same.

All season either the defence or, lately, the offence has let the Edmonton fans down. Today all facets of the game failed. Nothing was happening.

It hurts even more because the opponent was Winnipeg.

Thanksgiving Monday Eskies at Saskatchewan. Must win. I am scared!

I was so po' d .I stopped watching, I knew they would lose. So much for them winning every game.. Blech!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Our next game Monday October 8th. It feels like a bye week.

Sunderland should have been fired right after the game. Send this whole management packing.

Been saying since February this dog won't hunt. We lost several key players and leaders on this team and the one player of note added was Bazzie. This was just not a lineup that was impressive in any way. This org under Sunderland has bleeded good players away and not replacing them.

Even the few good players left on the team are quickly realizing that whatever effort is not going to be enough.

This was not a loss, it was a complete undressing.

I'll remind again that Sunderland stated to the fanbase that this Eskimos team would be in the GREY CUP.

There's a good chance they won't be in the playoffs. With Walker, Williams, and now Reilly injured I don't know they win another game this season.

The wheels completely came off yesterday. Only surprise to me is it took this long. This team does not believe in the personnel it has on the field.

3 ???????????????? Really 3?????????????? Who the hell is offensive coordinator hmmmmmmm
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Jason Maas
    ďYou have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.Ē - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Long Term Contributor

Finally - some action?

Edmonton Eskimos‏ @EdmontonEsks
    We have relieved special teams coordinator Cory McDiarmid of his duties. Special teams assistant Dave Jackson has been promoted to special teams coordinator.
    ďYou have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.Ē - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Finally - some action?

Edmonton Eskimos‏ @EdmontonEsks
    We have relieved special teams coordinator Cory McDiarmid of his duties. Special teams assistant Dave Jackson has been promoted to special teams coordinator.

Good!!

The good news is Nuit Blanche was excellent ....

Seriously though, it will be good for hotels, bars and restos when the Riders or Stamps represent the West this year in the Len Rhodes Grey Cup.

Maybe more so the Riders. Stamps fans would probably drive up and back game day, contributing little to the economy.
    ... gobsmacked

The first Esks punt of the game was blocked by Bombers speedster, Sayles, coming clean around the end. he got all of the ball. I mean he was there easy. The funniest thing is the Bombers probably could have run that rush scheme all day and we had no answer. Sayles would get to the ball on our punt cadence 50% of the time. Similarly the Oline wasn't stopping any of the Bombers blitz packages. Reilly must have got hit a dozen times in the game and was rushed a dozen more. bombers went blitz package for the day and the Esks were able to make no adjustments. The game plan the Bombers brought in first quarter was still not answered by the final whistle.

Every coach on this club should be out of a job, but we'e all suggested that before.

Yeah, the special teams have been crappy all season.

The defense in that game was the only reason the Esks had any chance at comeback at all.

The offense is a complete embarrassment. The game would've been close if the offense could do ANYTHING positive. The last good game they played was the Labour Day remach against Calgary. They've been quite terrible since.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Yeah, the special teams have been crappy all season.

The defense in that game was the only reason the Esks had any chance at comeback at all.

The offense is a complete embarrassment. The game would've been close if the offense could do ANYTHING positive. The last good game they played was the Labour Day remach against Calgary. They've been quite terrible since.
    My take is Reilly is either injured or already vacated. Rumor mill is that he will sign in BC and that the Eskimos won't be able to, or willing to, to match his contract price which is reportedly already in neighborhood of .5M. Journal has already leaked the potential difficult impasse.

Sunderlands contractual sacks of go to players last season is indication of where he's going and he wants his own team. This is full on rebuild we are headed to and without a starting QB in sight. Sunderlands additions have not been good either.

I can't imagine a scenario where Reilly would even want to continue to remain here given this is back to a losing team. The schemes and coaching on Saturday did not even allow a chance to counter the blitz package Bombers were bringing. The game plan was flawed and failed from the start.

For instance we running very little motion, our blocking schemes were not set to shift pocket, and we had next to zero plays where a screen was an open option. Bombers ran a controlled blitz all game and we couldn't make them pay.

^Thank you to Jason Maas for having an offense everyone in the CFL knows. No imagination to what he does at all.

If we lose out the rest of the season, I wouldn't be surprised in Maas is let go.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post
    ^Thank you to Jason Maas for having an offense everyone in the CFL knows. No imagination to what he does at all.

If we lose out the rest of the season, I wouldn't be surprised in Maas is let go.
    His offense is kind of geared to how he was as a QB. He used to prefer passes more to rushing and used to like going long ball rather than working ball down field and possessing ball for awhile. So his schemes have geared to just that. Trying to beat teams with long balls and now Walker and Williams are out and we have no deep recievers. The Bombers knew a few things. Walker, out, Williams hurt in prvious game, and Reilly hurt as well. So they went after him hard. They brough blitz packages all game. But it was a controlled blitz and didn't allow for much in terms of screens or Reilly running the ball out of trouble. They did a great job containing and plugging gaps.

Good thing I didn't buy Grey Cup tickets yet.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

So much for the playoffs. Maas/Reilly done?

Do we have a back up QB?

Reilly looks like he is playing hurt..I've never seen him play so badly, these last two games have been terrible

OTOh my second favourite team is saskatchewan, I'd love them to play for the grey cup..

Reilly has been playing hurt for multiple games. Thanks to a porous offensive line and him expected to be Mr everything every game. You knew he was going to take a tone of punishment in this game as well.

Esks now find themselves outside a playoff spot.

In between episodes of Star Wars, watched the last 1:48. Disappointed, but hardly surprised.

Question though, so, if you take the full 25 seconds from whistle in to snap, why have a no-huddle offense?

No quick hitters? No sweep plays?

No imagination = no results, which is exactly the situation the Eskies find themselves in.

Redblacks, Leos, Bombers left on the schedule. We may not win a game rest of the season.
    ... gobsmacked

The Esks fixed their penalty problems, and the defense is looking the best they have all year.

But their offense has turnover problems and hasn't scored a touchdown in over 2 games now.

Well, they did throw a couple of pick sixes in the last two games.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I think I'll go over to McBoo's place bring some snacks for us and catch up on Star War's episodes. Is Solo on video demand yet?

Eskimo's by the looks of the Eastern standings can't even get a cross over.

That would be by the looks of the western standings.

Toronto and Montreal are eliminated from the playoffs.

C2E Continued Contributor

Was at the game today. Weather kept the crowd away and they were very gracious in assuming 27000 people attended.

It was a really great game to watch though.

Those seats colours REALLY show how many are empty on TV.

C2E SME

If the Eskimos beat B. C. and Winnipeg, they'll win any ties in the standings.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Now THAT was a game. 75 yards to a TD, beautiful.

If Mike has the flu, may he keep it until the rest of the season, he wasn't at practice yesterday..
    Everyone upped their game.. WTG guys.

Maybe the Eskimos could use these guys: https://twitter.com/i/status/1051279156187557889

Food for thought:

If the Eskimos achieve a crossover position and find themselves in the finals against the Calgary Stampeders, by nature of the standings and positioning, theyíd have the away locker room.

Thatíll be awkward!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

My friend and I were disccusing that scenario earlier. Calgary representing the West Edmonton representing the East

My friend and I were disccusing that scenario earlier. Calgary representing the West Edmonton representing the East
    Nobody would watch..well nobody out of AB.

Im sure it would be well watched. Every football fan across Canada knows of the fierce rivalry here.

Im sure it would be well watched. Every football fan across Canada knows of the fierce rivalry here.
    Really? I'd never watch two eastern teams.. zzzz

For the Grey Cup? I sure would.

It certainly would be less watched in the East, but not everything is about TV revenue in my opinion. Think of how Iconic that match up would be for the West!

If there isn't a team! I like in it, I don't watch..in fact I could care less who wins.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    If there isn't a team! I like in it, I don't watch..in fact I could care less who wins.
    do you mean you could care less (which means you do care) or you couldnít care less (which means you donít care)?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

If Mike has the flu, may he keep it until the rest of the season, he wasn't at practice yesterday..
    I turned the game off disgusted after Ottawa scored a wide open TD to make it 16-7. Not sure how the rest of the game played out like that. Figures I haven't seen this team play well in half a season and didn't yesterday either.

To that point in the game I was tired of watching every Eskimo drive be destroyed by Reciever fumbles or really bad penalties. In one sequence we got two major penalties in a row to kill the drive. With one of the Oline, Bond, even laughing about it.

I turned the game off disgusted after Ottawa scored a wide open TD to make it 16-7. Not sure how the rest of the game played out like that. Figures I haven't seen this team play well in half a season and didn't yesterday either.

To that point in the game I was tired of watching every Eskimo drive be destroyed by Reciever fumbles or really bad penalties. In one sequence we got two major penalties in a row to kill the drive. With one of the Oline, Bond, even laughing about it.

Sour milk! It was a tremendous game, both played well, we played better. I don't beliyee you turned it off..lol

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    do you mean you could care less (which means you do care) or you couldnít care less (which means you donít care)?
    Take your pick... lol

Sour milk! It was a tremendous game, both played well, we played better. I don't beliyee you turned it off..lol
    there had already been an Oilers game on, then an Esks game, and when Ottawa scored that TD on an easy score I said to myself no way I\'m watching the rest of it. Had other things to do. Surprised they won considering they were down 16-7 at that point.

I rarely turn games off, but it matches a new found level of disgust in the org.

looked like 20K attendance, and from reports it was 27K weakest paid attendance for a game in a long time. Good work Sunderland and Rhodes. These guys are ensuring I don't spend a buck on this team. I don't believe in this lineup outside of Reilly and I find the club very frustrating to watch.

My son was at the game, it was too cold for us, and he said the crowd was small but very loud( very) and extremely happy with the outcome..

You missed a hell of a game due to that. Really got the protection he needed, the team seemed much more relaxed, made some amazing but simple plays, and actually could have scored over forty if it werenít for a little bad luck.

Iím in it for the long run, we all knew the second half of the season would be the true test so letís wait until itís over to see if they pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post

You missed a hell of a game due to that. Really got the protection he needed, the team seemed much more relaxed, made some amazing but simple plays, and actually could have scored over forty if it weren’t for a little bad luck.

I’m in it for the long run, we all knew the second half of the season would be the true test so let’s wait until it’s over to see if they pass.
    For me I've given up on the team. I have zero faith in a team run by Sunderland and Rhodes. We're in last place even despite a hot start. Outside of a handful I don't even like the players on the team. a lot of fans have voted no on this bunch.

Only 3 games left and a .500 record for a club in a league that contains non entities like Montreal and Toronto and that has one of the best revenues in league and can pay to cap every year is underwhelming. This is such a poorly run franchise I don't think I can continue to cheer for it. Even with Reilly who I love.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post

You missed a hell of a game due to that. Really got the protection he needed, the team seemed much more relaxed, made some amazing but simple plays, and actually could have scored over forty if it weren’t for a little bad luck.

I’m in it for the long run, we all knew the second half of the season would be the true test so let’s wait until it’s over to see if they pass.
    For me I've given up on the team. I have zero faith in a team run by Sunderland and Rhodes. We're in last place even despite a hot start. Outside of a handful I don't even like the players on the team. a lot of fans have voted no on this bunch.

Only 3 games left and a .500 record for a club in a league that contains non entities like Montreal and Toronto and that has one of the best revenues in league and can pay to cap every year is underwhelming. This is such a poorly run franchise I don't think I can continue to cheer for it. Even with Reilly who I love.
    If thatís how you feel then itís definitely time to take a break from the team. Passion and frustration are a brutal mix!

there had already been an Oilers game on, then an Esks game, and when Ottawa scored that TD on an easy score I said to myself no way I\'m watching the rest of it. Had other things to do. Surprised they won considering they were down 16-7 at that point.

I rarely turn games off, but it matches a new found level of disgust in the org.

looked like 20K attendance, and from reports it was 27K weakest paid attendance for a game in a long time. Good work Sunderland and Rhodes. These guys are ensuring I don't spend a buck on this team. I don't believe in this lineup outside of Reilly and I find the club very frustrating to watch.

You are being very generous with an estimate of 20k for attendance. You definitely saw the worst parts of the game with those two fumbles and that one play that Spencer got behind Maston on. The Eskimos did get two penalties in a row and the first one was shown on TSN the second one that Bond got we never did see. The Eskimos only had five penalties applied against them all game so you saw at least 40% of them.

The offence played extremely well with a balanced attack, Gable running well and with good production on first down. Bryant Mitchell, who committed the first fumble had an outstanding game with 13 catches for 190 yards, one of them a 75 yard touchdown in the fourth. The offence scored at least 7 points in every quarter and had the ball for 36 minutes. They scored a touchdown on the possession following the Spencer TD which I think was important.

The defence shut the Redblacks out in the second half.

I'm actually surprised that you watched the Oilers game.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post

You are being very generous with an estimate of 20k for attendance. You definitely saw the worst parts of the game with those two fumbles and that one play that Spencer got behind Maston on. The Eskimos did get two penalties in a row and the first one was shown on TSN the second one that Bond got we never did see. The Eskimos only had five penalties applied against them all game so you saw at least 40% of them.

The offence played extremely well with a balanced attack, Gable running well and with good production on first down. Bryant Mitchell, who committed the first fumble had an outstanding game with 13 catches for 190 yards, one of them a 75 yard touchdown in the fourth. The offence scored at least 7 points in every quarter and had the ball for 36 minutes. They scored a touchdown on the possession following the Spencer TD which I think was important.

The defence shut the Redblacks out in the second half.

I'm actually surprised that you watched the Oilers game.

I had PVRed the game and got bored last night and watched the rest of it to see what I was missing. Reilly played much better, but primarily due to the Oline playing much better and him not hearing feet all day. The amount of pressures and sacks Reilly has been facing the last half of the season is ridiculous.

Looks like Mitchell went gold after his earlier Fumble. Good thing as nobody else was going. Williams is hurt, and limited now, Hazelton has been a nightmare this season dropping passes, and it took big plays by guys like Behar as Stafford was again not getting it done. Ottawa had 2 injuries in secondary that I think also related but this is a fairly weak Esks package right now and it was primarily Mitchell.

But as the TSN crew noted it was the Eskimos in reality playing a playoff game with playoff intensity and the Red Blacks at some point being dissuaded. The Esks took the game over, to their credit, but this lineup isn't going to scare WC opponents. We have to wins in the next two games to even make the post season.

btw who didn't think that the Stamps were just going to roll over for the Lions and that the Riders would let the Bombers win? For sure the Riders were just ensuring they get Winnipeg, instead of the possibility of Edmonton in the West Semi Final. Mission accomplished. That they let them win 31-0 is kind of funny.

I watch pretty much all the Oilers games. I'm a masochist apparently.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234