Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eskimos 2018 Season and Grey Cup 2018

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Eskimos 2018 Season and Grey Cup 2018

Let's kick this off!

@ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Pumped for the season and the Grey Cup being here.I think there's a good chance we are playing in the big game come November as well!

Less than 7000 tickets left! Let's break our own record!
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Tickets aren't really going all that fast actually.

38K were sold to STH as holders could buy more than their allotted STH seats. Around 8K were sold Yesterday, around 2K today.

One of the huge differences is the 2010 GC had capacity of 63K. This one will only have a capacity of 55K. (Seats are bigger now)

What I'm noting is the the cheapest price point seats went Fairly fast on Friday and Today. They were still available but now only in quantities of 1. On the other hand if you want to spend 200bucks or more per ticket a large supply of those exist. Its harder sale to sell row 84 seats in the corner for the kind of prices they are asking.

The most interesting thing is Edmonton Metro pop is around 200-250K higher than it was the last time we hosted the GC and yet less tickets were sold to STH than the last time.

I think actually its going to take a fair time, a week at least to sell out these expensive seats that are left. People don't mind paying a lot for premium seats but everything left isn't premium, just the pricing is..

Been to two GC's here, not bothering with this one. Could have got as many tickets as I liked.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post
    Pumped for the season and the Grey Cup being here.I think there's a good chance we are playing in the big game come November as well!
    I think a good result for this club what with all the changeover in lineup would be playoffs as a starting point and see what happens from there. The Good News is the Stamps are pretty decimated but All of Toronto, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Sask look to be pretty competitive this season. The Esks D this year has a lot of changeover. Then the premium receivers that are gone.

This club goes as far as Mike Reilly does but any injury to him and its over. We have crap at QB after that.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Tickets aren't really going all that fast actually.

38K were sold to STH as holders could buy more than their allotted STH seats. Around 8K were sold Yesterday, around 2K today.

One of the huge differences is the 2010 GC had capacity of 63K. This one will only have a capacity of 55K. (Seats are bigger now)

What I'm noting is the the cheapest price point seats went Fairly fast on Friday and Today. They were still available but now only in quantities of 1. On the other hand if you want to spend 200bucks or more per ticket a large supply of those exist. Its harder sale to sell row 84 seats in the corner for the kind of prices they are asking.

The most interesting thing is Edmonton Metro pop is around 200-250K higher than it was the last time we hosted the GC and yet less tickets were sold to STH than the last time.

I think actually its going to take a fair time, a week at least to sell out these expensive seats that are left. People don't mind paying a lot for premium seats but everything left isn't premium, just the pricing is..

Been to two GC's here, not bothering with this one. Could have got as many tickets as I liked.
    Perhaps the Alberta economy is a factor if you compare 2010 to 2018?

I have no worries the Grey Cup will be sold out because remaining tickets will be scooped up by fans from other CFL cities.

Don't forget last Sunday's exhibition game against Sask drew 28,000. It was played in late May. So there definitely is some hype surrounding the Eskies this season.

I am in charge of the Eskimo game day school bus that runs out of the lounge of my part time job. I get free tics for the regular season but I have to buy my own Grey Cup ticket. I just need a single seat ticket.

As of dinner time:
    The cheapest is $103 ($131 after fees/tax) for Row 58 and higher. All singles.
    Or I can pay $272 (before fees) for Rows 4-20. But most of those seats are under the Scoreboard or within the 5 yard line.

So yes, the tickets are pricey. But I will buy one just because this event happens every decade or so.

The party will be worth it if the Eskimos are playing on November 25!

^Oh for sure it will be sold out. Will take some time. They were hoping to beat the record of 6 days to sellout that they had in 2010 when attendance was a much higher 63K.

I do think the economy factors in. That's exactly why I think the higher priced tickets are harder sells in this economy. In 2010 when we went it was the low cost tickets that were harder to sell because they were in endzone or corner. Now its the 7K seats that are priced at around 200bucks but way up, and way in the corners that are not selling too quickly.

Its always been fun, a great party. But this time we will opt out, let somebody else go. Been twice, so kind of bin there done that. We will take in the GC week festivities.

Tomorrow (Sunday) is Esks Fan Day or something at Commonwealth if anybody is interested in taking that in as well as seeing a practice Its 1-4. . You can buy GC tickets right at the event. Same high prices.

I hope they win. Quite possibly the last Grey Cup that they win as the "Eskimos".

Only certain markets in the CFL can successfully sell out the Grey Cup game with the average ticket price at $180.

Toronto and Vancouver had trouble filling their stadium even though the cheapest tics were $30. I recall a couple years ago Winnipeg was scrambling to sell tickets a week before the Grey Cup game.

Kudos to the Eskimos management for selling some sizzle. Too bad the hype is missing when other CFL teams host the Grey Cup.

But I am wondering with all of the construction around Churchill Square and the library, where are they going to set up the festivities? It was party central in 2010.

Jasper Ave at 97 St, where the Shaw Conference Centre is located
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ Oh, I see.

The same area where I read it was a gong show at the recent Red Bull Crashed Ice event in March.

C2E SME

How was it a gong show? The street itself was largely empty as most of the track, booths/tents etc were down the hillside (where admittedly things were a bit hairy in the dark with mediocre wayfinding and with the slippery slopes). The Grey Cup festivities are taking place on Jasper Ave itself, not on the hillside. There's going to be a ton of stuff, from beer gardens to zip lining to artificial ski slope, family zone and so on.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    ^ Oh, I see.

The same area where I read it was a gong show at the recent Red Bull Crashed Ice event in March.
    it was far from a gong show if you're referring to the street animation and not access to the track... if anything, there wasn't enough street animation and activity taking advantage of the potential pedestrian traffic in the area.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I think a good result for this club what with all the changeover in lineup would be playoffs as a starting point and see what happens from there.

Classic.

In a league where six out of nine teams make the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

I think a good result for this club what with all the changeover in lineup would be playoffs as a starting point and see what happens from there.

Classic.

In a league where six out of nine teams make the playoffs.
    Yeah, with Maas in charge I don't have high hopes for how far this club will go. Maybe he's taken some remedial Math course.

Myself I lost interest in the team the moment the Western Final last moments unfolded. Like Jason Maas took my interest in that club and popped the bubble. That and the club losing several star players in the offseason has effected my interest.

Looks like they are having a lot of trouble selling the remaining 7K tickets for the GC. Not much being sold.

I think what ends up occurring is those remaining seats suddenly disappear as some type of corporate buyouts. The Esks want to retain this illusion that fan support is greater than ever. So within this week I wonder if they get some Bars and Nightclubs to buy in and do corollary GC ticket sales. At this moment people just aren't buying the higher priced upper seats that are still available. I think sponsors and affiliated orgs will step in and buy these up for promotions.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-06-2018 at 01:21 PM.

I'm going regardless of who is in the game.The fiancé and I bought our tickets this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    How was it a gong show? The street itself was largely empty as most of the track, booths/tents etc were down the hillside (where admittedly things were a bit hairy in the dark with mediocre wayfinding and with the slippery slopes). The Grey Cup festivities are taking place on Jasper Ave itself, not on the hillside. There's going to be a ton of stuff, from beer gardens to zip lining to artificial ski slope, family zone and so on.
    Ya ya, I get it. Different organization committee and a whole different beast.

I trust Grey Cup week will be electric. I take my cheeky comment back.

I will definitely be taking part in the festivities at downtown.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Next Thursday is Esks retribution time.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Next Thursday is Esks retribution time.
    Winnipeg is going to be a tough opponent. I think it's between Edmonton, Winnipeg and Sask in the West this year. Calgary has to come back to down to earth eventually, right....right???

51k tickets sold as of today. 4,800 left.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4254814/g...onton-tickets/

One thing I don't understand is why the Eskimos have been misleading about ticket sales now for the 3rd time. Again they state; 51k tickets have been sold in 4 days. This is of course inaccurate. 38K had already been taken by STH when tickts went on sale to the Public on Friday. So that 13K, not 51K have been sold in the last 4 days. Small quibble maybe and the first couple times it happened I thought maybe just a reporter misworded it. But the Esks are intentionally saying this as if all tickets have been sold in this brief window.

Also kind of weird how they keep trying to say ticket sales have never been better. Um, they were better everytime the GC was held here. Remembering as well that Capacity attendance is 8K less than it was when the game sold out at 63.5K in 2010.

edit. They changed the comment in the article already but the headline still reads; "51,000 tickets to 2018 Grey Cup sold in 4 days" as if.
    Last edited by Replacement; 05-06-2018 at 05:08 PM.

C2E SME

Wow! That game was six hours long (with the thunderstorms), but the Eskimos win 33-30!
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I tried hard to stay up to watch the whole game but man, that was hard to do, especially when work starts early the next morning.

Glad to see we came out with the W after all of that. Some concerns with the D and two more players on the Dline went down with injuries last night. Hope they are nothing long term but man, not a good start to the season as we already have a number of players on the 6-game injured list.

From what I saw, Mike Reilly looked good as usual. He's well on his way to another MOP award if he keeps this up all season.

Grey Cup ticket sales still stalled.

Seems that the original rush to get these sated the demand for them at this time. Good thing for the organizers that sales stalled at 51K instead of earlier but the thought that they would beat the previous sales record of selling out in 6 days was unlikely.

Imagine if capacity was still 63K. There would be around 12K unsold tickets still. This is a vastly reduced capacity, population has increased enormously since 2010, and they can't even match those kinds of sales.

I figure it could take a fair amount of time to sell the rest unless they do some package promoting with local establishments. Selling some as promotions to bars etc. Probably what they will have to do. People just aren't buying the remaining nose bleed seats at 200 bucks a pop. Row 84 at Commonwealth feels like you are in a different time zone. its also pretty far from washroom or drinks so pretty ****** place to sit.

The two point convert tied the game, boom! The rest is history, esks win!

The Eskimos already have 13 players injured after one game and their game notes page is sponsored by MIC Medical imaging.... haha, I couldn't ignore that serendipity.

https://www.esks.com/game-notes/

They should hand out free programs with a sharpie pen at the games because beyond half a dozen guys fans wouldn't know any of these guys and the lineup is constantly changing.

Sunderland is using that 6-game as a way to keep cap costs under control. I doubt a lot of these guys are 6 gamers and more 1-game injuries. But their salaries count against the cap when on 1-game and not on the 6-game. So, I can see what he's doing here. Do I agree with it? Well, no one is stopping him so he's taking advantage of it.

If that is true that's one of the most deplorable things I've seen in the CFL. This is a home game and the first of the season and with a fanbase that was awfully ****** off about the many popular players that were let go.

Like I suggested the average fan has little familiarity outside of half dozen players with this Esks team. To not showcase its best at home in a home game would be disgusting. This is show me time for the fanbase.

Its likely past that for me.

I love Reilly but cheering for a club with a few trick ponies and not much else in the lineup is so 1960's of the org.

What EdmontonsKindaGuy is saying is the 13 players injured are week-to-week type injuries. Could be stingers, pulled hamstrings, ingrown toenail whatever. Not actual long term type injuries.

The Eskimos found a loophole to avoid the salary cap and are taking advantage by putting them on the 6 game injury list. It's chintzy and underhand for sure. As the saying goes...good teams and great players will always exploit the rules.

Like I suggested the average fan has little familiarity outside of half dozen players with this Esks team. To not showcase its best at home in a home game would be disgusting. This is show me time for the fanbase.
    No matter, if the players are healthy and are in game shape they will be starting guaranteed. Whether it's the home opener or Week 7 in Montreal, the injured players cannot play this week. Just cross your fingers and hope some of them make an early return off the 6 game injury list.
    Last edited by North Guy66; 21-06-2018 at 10:47 PM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

How have they found a 'loophole'? If a player is on the 6 game injured list and comes off it before the six games is up his salary for the entire time he was on the injured list will count against the cap. Why put people on the one game injured list? If they end up missing 6 games you have wasted cap space.

Eskimos doing almost anything to get people to come out (short of retaining players I would want to see) including giving away 7K 20/2o tickets to those arriving at game first to pregame party, to the usual free ETS to and from game. Also 5buck beers at East end pregame. 2hr pregame tailgating.

I'm worn out of the product, not a fan of Maas or Sunderland, but this is a good deal I guess for people looking to check out the club. CFL really trying hard to find some new fans.

Ticket sales are reasonable for this game as the Manziel interest is there. But that's a bit odd. Reilly is a better QB and people here can see him anytime.

Who exactly are the players they didn't retain that you want to see?

It is a good thing they are trying to attract new fans.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The whole league has been trying to attract a younger demographic for a number of years now. Its a work in progress.

The whole league has been trying to attract a younger demographic for a number of years now. Its a work in progress.
    Outside of Regina it isn't really working.

Arguable as well that in all the attempts to attract a younger crowd less of the CFL fans that have been mainstays for a longtime (myself included) are not going. With attendance declining league wide.

What I perceive is the CFL becoming increasingly a two bit limited talent league. Basically now a second rate farm team to the NFL. So that more likely now is that when good players are found we're just place holding for their better opportunities. So that its like the AHL. Theres not as much sense developing connections with players who are just gone.

Another problem is outside of Mike Reilly, Ricky Ray its been pretty light on the QB front. For years the CFL struggled with marquee QB's. Really since the likes of Calvillo retired.
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-06-2018 at 12:51 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Outside of Regina it isn't really working.

Arguable as well that in all the attempts to attract a younger crowd less of the CFL fans that have been mainstays for a longtime (myself included) are not going. With attendance declining league wide.

What I perceive is the CFL becoming increasingly a two bit limited talent league. Basically now a second rate farm team to the NFL. So that more likely now is that when good players are found we're just place holding for their better opportunities. So that its like the AHL. Theres not as much sense developing connections with players who are just gone.

Another problem is outside of Mike Reilly, Ricky Ray its been pretty light on the QB front. For years the CFL struggled with marquee QB's. Really since the likes of Calvillo retired.
    What your missing Bo Levi Mitchell and BC Lions Travis Lulay, which is a good friend of Mike Reilly?

Seriously?

Bo Mitchell is seriously over rated. Allstar receiving corps and boneheaded decision making. Ever wonder why Stamps caved a lot during their lol dynasty? Lulay I like but he was deep sixed in BC by a club that prefers Jennings who I feel is another ordinary QB. Lulay has mostly been carrying the clipboard, not the football, for years in BC, which to me is tragic as I like his game reads more. Lulay is the type of QB I want to be watching and who Mike Reilly learned from.

There was a time of legends in the CFL. Of outstanding QB's. Times where every team had greats.

Its a far cry from that now, getting better, hopefully, but on any given night you're watching idiots like Drew Willy or Nichols. Its hard to take the league seriously now.

Mike Reilly is worth it but not much of a supporting cast. Still, CFL is so bad quality wise now that it doesn't take much of a lineup to win.

I think the CFL has been more interested in maintaining cap ceiling than putting quality on the pitch. The fans have noticed that. If all the league wants to do is save payroll money and just have players on the cheap it limits the product considerably. To the point where its no longer worth my time going.
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-06-2018 at 01:36 PM.

Eskimos get blown up, absolutely annihilated, on home field. Predictable. Sunderland has put together one of the worst rosters I have ever seen and without a doubt the worst eskimos D I've seen. This D can't stop the run, can't stop the pass, can't stop anything. When your best D are pint sized Sherritt and Grymes your club is in a world of hurt. Those guys can't stop a run to save their lives. Only thing they accomplish is the bleeding being a bit slower but inevitable.

The Ticats left another two TD's off the board due to dropped passes or they pull a 50 score on the Esks.

The astounding thing is the Ticats could have scored TD's on almost all their drives except for misfiring and screwing up their own plays. The Esks were stopping nothing all night. Hamilton could have had 5 TD's in the first 37mins of this *contest*.

The Esks have now given up near 70pts in two games and have given up 1K yds in two games. This is legendary bad. Reilly will have to be god to pull 8-9 wins with this futile squad.

We seem blessed with sports teams here in Edmonton..

lol that everytime the announcer said Cheer for the D on 2nd downs the fans booed. I wonder how many of those people will be back.

The strangest thing is a lot of fans somehow bought the line that this esks team would be headed to a homedate Grey Cup this season. Theres only one clearly worse team in the league.
    Last edited by Replacement; 23-06-2018 at 01:31 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I missed the game (work) but was shocked by the score. What's this about ticket pricing and ~31,000 fans showing up?

Eskimos get blown up, absolutely annihilated, on home field. Predictable. Sunderland has put together one of the worst rosters I have ever seen and without a doubt the worst eskimos D I've seen. This D can't stop the run, can't stop the pass, can't stop anything. When your best D are pint sized Sherritt and Grymes your club is in a world of hurt. Those guys can't stop a run to save their lives. Only thing they accomplish is the bleeding being a bit slower but inevitable.

The Ticats left another two TD's off the board due to dropped passes or they pull a 50 score on the Esks.

The astounding thing is the Ticats could have scored TD's on almost all their drives except for misfiring and screwing up their own plays. The Esks were stopping nothing all night. Hamilton could have had 5 TD's in the first 37mins of this *contest*.

The Esks have now given up near 70pts in two games and have given up 1K yds in two games. This is legendary bad. Reilly will have to be god to pull 8-9 wins with this futile squad.

We seem blessed with sports teams here in Edmonton.

lol that everytime the announcer said Cheer for the D on 2nd downs the fans booed. I wonder how many of those people will be back.

The strangest thing is a lot of fans somehow bought the line that this esks team would be headed to a homedate Grey Cup this season. Theres only one clearly worse team in the league.
    Can you get any more negative? You must be a great upbeat guy to be around. Sad.

I missed the game (work) but was shocked by the score. What's this about ticket pricing and ~31,000 fans showing up?
    Not sure what your question is. Also the scoreline was charitable to the Esks. As mentioned the Bombers could have had 4-5 TD's in the first half. I don't remember a debacle like this at Commonwealth since BC beat us 36-1 at home. Score is 21-7 with several minutes left in first half and an open bomber receiver drops the pass. Would've been yet another TD. There was another dropped pass that prevented another drive and a call back on a 50yard gainer for procedure.

Now think that without those plays going against the Esks our D still gave up 526yds offense in the game, at home. You won't even win a football giving up those kinds of yards. Ticats had 36mins of possession in the game.

As for the attendance this game was heavily promoted and advertised, the team gave out 7K 50/5o tickets as promotion, reduced beer prices for 2hrs pregame. On field entertainment etc. The Eskimos did everything to promote this game and there was also buzz with Johnny Manziel in the Ticats lineup although the way Massoli was playing he was unlikely to see much action. The only reason he could have been called into action is to prevent injury to Massoli as this game was probably over anyway.

Also of note the Eskimos had 14 of their pts gifted. One TD on a broken play long TD gainer. The other on a PI endzone call.

I wonder how many of the fans that decided to check out this nondescript lineup will be back. This game was predictably disgusting. It was worse than the last time Massoli, Laurent, Lawrence, (all traded Eskimos) walked in here and kicked our ***.

At least in Montreal they apologized to the fans for the embarrassment. I wonder if that happens here.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post

We seem blessed with sports teams here in Edmonton.

Can you get any more negative? You must be a great upbeat guy to be around. Sad.
    You could be an ahole that has nothing better to do than surmise about other people online. Actually I'm not reserving judgement. You've demonstrated it time and again. So I'm negative and you're an ahole, fair exchange.

I call it as I see it.

Esks fans, and I feel sorry for them, were sold a false bill of goods that this Eskimos side would be competitive this season and compete in the Grey Cup to be played at Commonwealth. With that actually being stated by the org multiple times. Now people don't have to believe it, and they shouldn't but this org was desperate to do anything to milk STH and GC ticket sales.

Those following the club know that there has been a continual exodus of talent not just on field but in the departure of Jones and firing of Hervey.

Under Maas and Sunderland this org is again a clownshow. I feel bad for Mike Reilly as well. Theres going to be a lot of nights where its impossible for him to get a win.

CFL games seem to drag on forever these days, especially with all the television timeouts and coach's challenges. I went to bed at 11:30 last night and switched briefly to the game which still hadn't ended.

Who wants to spend 3 and a half hours plus in an uncomfortable stadium seat when you can watch the game in the comfort of your own home? And doing the latter you can squeeze in a couple of episodes of your favourite Netflix series without even missing anything important going on in the game.

I noticed that last night. They're wearing out the Skip button on my DVR remote!
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    CFL games seem to drag on forever these days, especially with all the television timeouts and coach's challenges. I went to bed at 11:30 last night and switched briefly to the game which still hadn't ended.

Who wants to spend 3 and a half hours plus in an uncomfortable stadium seat when you can watch the game in the comfort of your own home? And doing the latter you can squeeze in a couple of episodes of your favourite Netflix series without even missing anything important going on in the game.
    One of the oddest things is that they held off starting the match due to thunder in the area. Anybody residing here knows that there had been thunder in the area since around 3-4pm and mostly dry stationary fronts and hadn't seen a lightning stike all day. There was occasional rumbling for 5 hrs proceeding game and no storm actually coming. So that the sun was shining at Commonwealth as the game was delayed 25mins with rumbling sounds around in the distance. On the southside there were no strikes at all. Just rumbling. Didn't even get rain, just a couple very light sprinkles. Not enough to wet the sidewalk.

This is another case of being too proactive due to what took place with the weather last week in Winnipeg but arguably that was too much delay as well.

Were there actual lightning stikes hitting ground on the north side? Was there actual risk?

All this seems to have occurred since a lightning strike hit Mosaic during a game. I get the caution, but are they kind of overdoing it?
    Last edited by Replacement; 23-06-2018 at 09:48 AM.

^The game was delayed because of lightning? I live right near the stadium. There was a brief rain shower around 4 pm but after that blue sky. It was a beautiful clear evening with hardly any wind. I was outside right before game time working in the yard and warning a couple of fans not to park by my house without a residential parking permit. There was no lightning anywhere near the Stadium and not even distant thunder unlike earlier in the day.

I guess the non-existent lightning threat partly explains why the game ended so late. But I still maintain the games drag on way too long. Why does it take three and a half hours to play 60 minutes of football? One of the things I'm liking about watching the World Cup soccer games is you know they will end in two hours including the half time break.

^Thanks for confirming no lightning strikes where you were. Yes, they had mentioned several times on TSN that there was a 25minute delay due to lightning proximity and storm system. Not sure what they were expecting.

Like yourself I was working in the yard for hours. There was just rumbling. The clouds were very stationary, it was weird, but dark clouds all around and constant sunshine. The system just kind of sat there and did nothing the whole time.

as far as WC one of the things I LOVE is complete halves without any commercial break.

I can't even watch a CFL game anymore without having a PVR. I often just flick on another program and then got back to the Football when commercials are on.

You bring up an interesting point though as not too many years ago CFL focus groups with fans revealed that there was concern for how long the games were taking and that fans wanted a fixed 2.5hrs. The league did endeavor to do something about that and indeed it did for 1,2 seasons and then just seemlngly forgot about that whole initiative.

2 things have resulted in longer broadcasts

1)Increased commercial rotation and commercial timeouts (Its makes sitting at a game in cold weather a bit hard to take as nothing is going on during these constant commercial intervals)

2) Increased use of video reviews and the length of those reviews. League has also looked at that and looked at changes.

But a 3-3.5 hr duration game is now normative.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Also there are too many 2 & outs, which slow the game down. As Replacement said the game was heavily promoted. I'm thinking maybe lack of attendance had something to do with the weather being too nice, early in the campaign, etc

Also there are too many 2 & outs, which slow the game down. As Replacement said the game was heavily promoted. I'm thinking maybe lack of attendance had something to do with the weather being too nice, early in the campaign, etc
    Not sure why you think just over 31,000 is low attendance. The Eskimos have averaged crowds of 30,000 - 35,000 for the last 20 years. They only get 1 or 2 games a year where it is north of 40,000. Historically Hamilton is not a great draw in Edmonton.

They do need to speed up the games. They should be no longer than 2 and a half hours. The coaches challenges have slowed them down.

The 31K attendance figure for the Esks is considered low because this is a home Grey Cup season. Home grey Cups invariably result in more STH purchases and the Esks did have more this offseason. So that the walk up crowd to this game was not very good. Also with how much it was promoted, advertised, 7K free 50/50 tickts, Johnny Manziel interest, there should have been some draw for this game. Plus its the home opener, fine weather warm, sunshine, and on a Friday night.

The Esks org would have hoped for 35-40K for this game.

The difficulty is the Esks and the CFL are doing more to promote, TSN is as well, the league needs more gate and revenue, and all attempts to increase the attendance is all for not. Even in a Grey Cup year.

ftr the last time the Esks hosted the Grey Cup average attendance was 34,600 not counting the Grey Cup sales which were over 63K. The Esks have a long way to go to even try to match those totals. While the Metrolpolitan area population has increased around 20-25% since 2010. So that we have many more potential fans, and far fewer buying tickets.

It’s one game in long season. Too soon to panic just yet.

And Benevides defences leave little to be desired. I wish they had canned him in the off-season. We have the talent to play man defence but instead we play zone. Good teams with good coaches will burn you all game.

It’s one game in long season. Too soon to panic just yet.

And Benevides defences leave little to be desired. I wish they had canned him in the off-season. We have the talent to play man defence but instead we play zone. Good teams with good coaches will burn you all game.
    The Eskimos D was horrible in both games. Lets be clear here that Nichols was injured prior to game and with not enough time for the Bombers to make alternate plans. So that a QB straight out of college started a game in the CFL for the first time since Anthony Calvillo during the CFL US expansion years. its NEVER happened with a Canadian CFL club before. That's the degree to which that game represented free bingo spot on the calendar. The Eskimos still required coming back from two scores to win it.

I look further than Benevides in how bad the D is. There are 3 returning Vets on the D lineup. How was that not expected to be a problem? The Oilers lost half a dozen defensive starters from last season. How is that not going to be a problem?

They've been replaced with guys with very little experience and Bazzie who has been completely unnoticeable. So that we are left with an experience Sewell on the line and Grymes and Sherritt who are too small to be go to guys for long.

On offense severely depleted arsenal, We have instead Gable who has always been inclined to be good when playing for contract but not much good after, we are now using Walker as a possession receiver and requiring him to get killed 3 times a game playing a role he is seemingly less familiar with. With the murderous hits he's taking I'd be surprised he lasts 10 games. Really we have no CFL possession receiver. Thus Reilly going low % longball on every 2nd pass. This also resulting in Reilly getting hammered 8 times a game and picking his pieces up everytime he buys time to make that pass.

Eskimos wonder why they have chronic injury difficulties? Its due to chronically having over expectation in a limited cast and expecting everybody to take increasing risks to try desperately to get some results out there. So that we injured 13 players in game 1 winning a game that should have been easy.

enjoy the Grey Cup. I would say that any of Ottawa, Calgary, Hamilton, Toronto, Sask would have to be favored to be there over the Eskimos.

Sunderland has a massive amount of work to do. This is the worst Eskimos D I have ever seen.

When you say that we have the talent to play man on man name 3-4 players in the secondary you think are capable. The Esks in recent seasons have been brutal for pass yards allowed. Theres no indication that has changed.
    Last edited by Replacement; 24-06-2018 at 12:38 PM.

It was so frustrating in the 1st half the many times Hamilton was able to convert on 2nd down due to an Edmonton penalty. At one point the Eskimos defence got flagged for offside 3 times in a row before Hamilton got a penalty.

I guess that happens with an inexperienced defensive core.

C2E Continued Contributor

Yeah I haven't liked the Esks Defense since he's been defensive coordinator.

Quote Originally Posted by lobbdogg View Post

Yeah I haven't liked the Esks Defense since he's been defensive coordinator.
    Jones ran a pretty tight shop when he was here. Underrated and probably the best head coach we have had in eons. Could be unfair to compare Benevides with that and its more a personnel issue imo. Which is Sunderlands fault.

Also anybody solely critiquing the D is ignoring that Hamilton had 40mins of possession and that the Esks offense also played into the lack of possession. We have no ball control offense now and the D is rarely off the field. Its a bad D to begin with, but put them out for 40minutes and its a disaster regardless of coaching. There aren't big play defenders on this D either. Both Sherritt and Grymes are nowhere close to the players they were when they started pro here. Both being small defenders are very subject to the damage they've incurred which only gets worse for small defenders. Hitching the train to that while the CFL is getting bigger and more physical is a losing proposition. Both are being exploited regularly. Sherritt spent much of the game shaking his head at his wrong reads. That isn't coaching. its constantly getting the play call wrong. The Esks D was reacting to the wrong play much of the day. That isn't system, its bad reads.

Just as a side comment. Fans tend to love the longballs and hilite reel 80yd TD catches but other than a score they are really not all that helpful to a team as the game advances.

So that Hamilton marched the ball all the way down the field on first possession. Score TD.

Esks get the all for all of 30 secs of play and get a TD. D immediately back on field and Hamlton scores another TD. Then the Esks have a series of two and outs.

The D was done like dinner and just limping into the first half.

Gotta say that Gable and Bazzie as the big hope additions are falling flat. Gable is good. But he's got his contract now. He's complacent at times. Keep in mind this was the game against his former club that felt they could do better without his contract. You never know what games he's showing up. That was the story in Hamilton as well.

There were 4 players with something to prove to their old team in this game. Masoli, Laurent, Laurence, Gable. At least all the ticats covered the bet in Spades. Gable was a huge disappointment in this game and getting manhandled by ironically some former eskimos that are better up front than anything we have on D.

Great second half by the boys last night. Our running game was unstoppable all night and we actually got pressure on the QB too. Man, that was a totally different team out there.

The two flyovers were awesome as well.

Great game last night!! Well ,the second half was!

A lot better! for sure.

I have gone to a couple of games this year and have enjoyed it both times. The stadium is first class and the fans are passionate and respectful. The Eskimos looked really good after the first quarter. If you are a sports fan I encourage you to get out and support this organization, they are well worth the price of admission.

Great second half by the boys last night. Our running game was unstoppable all night and we actually got pressure on the QB too. Man, that was a totally different team out there.

Esks had lots of help. Jennings is awful, The BC kicker was a clown who missed 2 FG's Jennings also stupidly got sacked while in FG position costing a third FG. This all with the score 14-2 which could have been easily 23-2 Leos.

The Esks offence only got going after Jennings self destructed countless chances to put the game out of reach. Any competent QB would have had 28 first half pts there with what he was given.

Also, both drives the Esks scored on in first half were aided by odd calls. On first drive a PI call extends drive even though the pass was out of bounds and a completion would have been impossible. On another Esks TD drive we get a first down on a bogus call as the officials had first called Willis for a horse collar, the review showed the call was wrong, then the officials gave BC the penalty anyway because they were arguing about the initial bad call. First down on 3 yd line, TD ensues. BC had every right to be livid at that sequence.

The Esks had two TD's basically gifted them due to inept officiating. I'll take it, lots of times calls have gone against the club but it took all of that to beat a BC team that is guaranteed to be in last place. As long as they keep play Jennings that is.

Still, the Esks again gave up 5 potential scoring positions in just the first half alone. This can't happen against any club that is even remotely good or its game over.

I have gone to a couple of games this year and have enjoyed it both times. The stadium is first class and the fans are passionate and respectful. The Eskimos looked really good after the first quarter. If you are a sports fan I encourage you to get out and support this organization, they are well worth the price of admission.
    Agreed! My fiancé, who is from Ontario, has become an Esks fan. I’ve converted her as she only used to pay attention to the NFL.

Glad people are still finding something in the CFL, and that it is finding some new fans, but the same league is having a lot of difficulty finding those new fans. Right now the league gate is essentially a bankrupt proposition. Without a pretty sweet TSN deal the CFL is in trouble.

Last game 29K attended. On military appreciation night and with close to 1k of those being military.

The COE metropolitan population is increasing drastically, and attendance is going down drastically.

This used to be a different quality of league. Attendance used to be routinely 40K and occasionally 50K for Esks games at Commonwealth.

The league is much lower quality now. Only a handful of marquee QB's exist. In any given year you have 2-3 of nine member clubs that are not even remotely competitive and that shouldn't even be considered pro teams.

Not mentioned much I think the demise of NFL Europe and other farm league configurations has impacted the CFL adversely. The CFL is more than ever a farm league for the NFL. If players are too good for here like Zylstra, like McCoil, etc, they just go there, and often quickly after 1,2 seasons here. We even regularly suffer the toils of star players like Ray or Walker getting extended NFL tryouts, making a NFL squad for brief periods or NFL taxisquad etc.

So that even in CFL draft now of Canadian players teams have to be careful sometimes not to shoot too high and pick that guy that might be good enough for the NFL.

This CFL league now is AHL level quality. But with much higher prices. I didn't mind the prices when the league was higher quality, it isn't now, and most of the games look amateur.

People that think the league is quality now frankly didn't watch the 70's or 80's. Not too coincidentally attendance was much higher back then. Interest was higher back then. Think about a city of 600K having 50K of those attending a football game in the 70's. That's 9% of the total Edmonton population out at the game. That was always a happening. Now the metro pop is nearly twice that and we have trouble reaching 30K attendance which is more like 2.5% of the population attending games.
    Last edited by Replacement; 01-07-2018 at 09:19 AM.

In general, I think attendance is down for most of the pro sports leagues (including the NFL).

I think there are just more entertainment options (that includes sports) than ever, and many of them cheaper than attending a sporting event.

^Oilers I agree, but not with the Esks. If you get STH or if you get promoted tickts like football huddle or such its not expensive, basically one hour pay. Plus at Esks games they let you take food and stuff in unlike the Oilers who confiscate anything. Plus free bus ride to and from a game. Going to an Esks game is cheaper than going to any movie these days.

There were always Entertainment options. Back in the 70's the Esks were competing with Kdays being a real thing with 100K attendance, International Motor Speedway bringing in humongous crowds every other weekend, Edmonton Drillers playing in front of 25K regularly at Commonwealth in the NASL and stars like Pele playing here with the NY Cosmos., Tons of quality concerts in the 70's every week and all sold out shows. In one month you'd see Eagles, Rush, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Black Sabbath, Elton John, Supertramp, Cher, Kiss, etc etc. All those acts in prime. That just being around10% of the top draw touring acts of the day. Theres literally nothing like it now for volume of live entertainment options on a huge scale.

There was nothing like the 70's for ticket entertainment. Huge ticket sales and attendance for all kinds of things back then. Just that people actually went to things back then instead of playing with their smartphone 24/7.

Esks had lots of help. Jennings is awful, The BC kicker was a clown who missed 2 FG's Jennings also stupidly got sacked while in FG position costing a third FG. This all with the score 14-2 which could have been easily 23-2 Leos.

The Esks offence only got going after Jennings self destructed countless chances to put the game out of reach. Any competent QB would have had 28 first half pts there with what he was given.

Also, both drives the Esks scored on in first half were aided by odd calls. On first drive a PI call extends drive even though the pass was out of bounds and a completion would have been impossible. On another Esks TD drive we get a first down on a bogus call as the officials had first called Willis for a horse collar, the review showed the call was wrong, then the officials gave BC the penalty anyway because they were arguing about the initial bad call. First down on 3 yd line, TD ensues. BC had every right to be livid at that sequence.

The Esks had two TD's basically gifted them due to inept officiating. I'll take it, lots of times calls have gone against the club but it took all of that to beat a BC team that is guaranteed to be in last place. As long as they keep play Jennings that is.

Still, the Esks again gave up 5 potential scoring positions in just the first half alone. This can't happen against any club that is even remotely good or its game over.
    The Lions got the second call before the play was reviewed and they deserved it.

^Disagree somewhat. Because the original very bad call (wasn't close to a horsecollar) elicited the reaction, which then became the penalty. (it was unsportsmanlike penalty wsn't it? The telecast didn't clarify) To me it stunk of "well, you're going to get a penalty there regardless. I like to be objective with calls. If that one went against the Esks I would consider it odd.

Similarly I would like the CFL to pay more attention to PI calls wherein the ball is clearly not catchable. The one that sustained the Esks first drive was thrown out of bounds. To me that shouldn't be a call because no valid play was actually prevented by the alleged infraction.

If the Lions would have controlled their emotions they wouldn't have gotten the second call.

I thought that Mass was wasting a challenge because of where the ball landed. I haven't watched the play over to see how far out of bounds it was.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    If the Lions would have controlled their emotions they wouldn't have gotten the second call.

I thought that Mass was wasting a challenge because of where the ball landed. I haven't watched the play over to see how far out of bounds it was.
    Not catchable.

I do agree with the other comment though that players should behave, and not risk calls. But there was ample misbehavior both sides and those calls are almost arbitrary.

That said the Esks have oft been on the wrong side of those so I'll take it.

The Grey cup bound Eskimos (I can hardly contain my sarcasm) lose to the lowly Toronto Argonauts today, a team in disarray, without starting QB, and with Franklin in his 2nd pro start in his career. Of course the Esks manage to lose to a team that hadn't won all year.

The Eskimos are 2-2, have had the easiest possible schedule imaginable, have played two teams now that have their starter injured, and managed to get into dog fights with both of those clubs. We magically squeak out the Winnipeg game or we are 1-3. We even manage to make the BC game interesting for awhile against the worst QB in the league, Jennings.

This is just inept. In a Grey Cup year. I can't imagine how bad this club would be without Mike Reilly throwing for 400yds per game. We can't even win with him doing that.

Maas proving once again he learned nothing from the Western final. Punts it away with 2mins left, taking ball out of the best player in the CFLS hands (again) and the Argos easily run out the rest of the clock due to coaching. Mike Reilly furious this time on the bench. The first time Maas did this to Reilly was a mistake and Reilly excused it. I doubt he likes being pulled out multiple times with game on line to put our vaunted defense (sarcasm) out on the field.

I don't think I can attend a game Maas and Sunderland in charge. Which will be a longtime given the blank cheques Rhodes writes out.

The Esks are the most financially healthy team in the league, have the best training facilities, gate, stability of support, no economic distractions whatsoever like 7/9 of the other CFL teams face, and can't even put a GC calibre team on the field.

BC, Toronto, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, most clubs in the league, are financial disasters barely making payroll. The Esks can't even win in this league with always having every advantage its possible for a team to have.

It seems as if Edmonton pro sports fans are cursed through decades ago success.
    Last edited by Replacement; 07-07-2018 at 08:06 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I caught bits and pieces of the game but stayed with it when I saw that last Eskimo drive. They had the ball for like what less then 5 minutes. I don't think I missed much.

C2E Continued Contributor

The Grey cup bound Eskimos (I can hardly contain my sarcasm) lose to the lowly Toronto Argonauts today, a team in disarray, without starting QB, and with Franklin in his 2nd pro start in his career. Of course the Esks manage to lose to a team that hadn't won all year.

The Eskimos are 2-2, have had the easiest possible schedule imaginable, have played two teams now that have their starter injured, and managed to get into dog fights with both of those clubs. We magically squeak out the Winnipeg game or we are 1-3. We even manage to make the BC game interesting for awhile against the worst QB in the league, Jennings.

This is just inept. In a Grey Cup year. I can't imagine how bad this club would be without Mike Reilly throwing for 400yds per game. We can't even win with him doing that.

Maas proving once again he learned nothing from the Western final. Punts it away with 2mins left, taking ball out of the best player in the CFLS hands (again) and the Argos easily run out the rest of the clock due to coaching. Mike Reilly furious this time on the bench. The first time Maas did this to Reilly was a mistake and Reilly excused it. I doubt he likes being pulled out multiple times with game on line to put our vaunted defense (sarcasm) out on the field.

I don't think I can attend a game Maas and Sunderland in charge. Which will be a longtime given the blank cheques Rhodes writes out.

The Esks are the most financially healthy team in the league, have the best training facilities, gate, stability of support, no economic distractions whatsoever like 7/9 of the other CFL teams face, and can't even put a GC calibre team on the field.

BC, Toronto, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, most clubs in the league, are financial disasters barely making payroll. The Esks can't even win in this league with always having every advantage its possible for a team to have.

I knew we were in for it when Hervey was gone due to personality conflicts or whatever the excuse Rhodes gave was. People can say what they want, Hervey knew how to build a team and they should have just stayed out of his way and let him do his thing.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post

I knew we were in for it when Hervey was gone due to personality conflicts or whatever the excuse Rhodes gave was. People can say what they want, Hervey knew how to build a team and they should have just stayed out of his way and let him do his thing.
    Precisely. Hervey was one bright assessor of talent and all the best players we have came from his incumbency.

As much as they are critiqued the best time for Esks fans in this millennium was the Jones/Hervey time frame. I'd take either of those over what we have. How do you chronically even lose to an org that can't even get bums in the seats? Strange stat is we are 2-7 against the Argos in the Reilly era and 3 of those games were with Ricky Ray out with injury. This shouldn't be happening. Its as if the Esks are back in that mode where they are trying to help opponent member teams a little.

When Rhodes and Sunderland say such things as "Its about more than winning" it kind of leaves me cold.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Not sure where to post this but on my commute this afternoon, looks like some serious construction activity is going on West of track one.

^^Not sure I recall much critique of Ed Hervey or Chris Jones when the were here. I'm sure the consensus opinion of Eskimo fans would have been to keep Hervey and get rid of the Rhodent.

Don't know why you are attributing the "about more than winning" quote to Sunderland at all. That is all Rhodes.

How do you chronically even lose to an org that can't even get bums in the seats?
    Well the Argos are the defending Grey Cup champs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    How do you chronically even lose to an org that can't even get bums in the seats?

Based on basically free entry to the playoffs in the EC and almost a buy to get into the GC. All an eastern team needs to do any year to get to he GC is resemble being competent. You could be sub .500 and still get there. So that your entire first 10 game segment of the season is just expanded preparation, expanded traning camp, expanded time to work out game plans and wrinkles and target recruits for the playoff push. Its all you have to do in the East where there is no playoff race. Its a turtle derby. Even less travel within the conference and getting home the same day every game in conference.

Eastern teams have so many advantages. All any eastern team has to do is win 6-7 games and they are in the playoffs most years. They have the whole season to prepare for simply the postseason. There is no question of any competent EC franchise making the playoffs. You have to be Montreal level bad to not be there.

The argos would not have won either GC had they been playing in a competent conference or even if they were not supported by revenue sharing or TSN without which they wouldn't even exist.
    Last edited by Replacement; 09-07-2018 at 11:09 PM.

^^Not sure I recall much critique of Ed Hervey or Chris Jones when the were here. I'm sure the consensus opinion of Eskimo fans would have been to keep Hervey and get rid of the Rhodent.

Don't know why you are attributing the "about more than winning" quote to Sunderland at all. That is all Rhodes.
    Sunderland backed the same comment in another Eskimos way monologue. Yes, its primary Rhodes stuff.

Several online Esks fans try to mock Jones every week and were doing that just last week. Until the Riders won a game and the Eskimos again lost. Several supported the Hervey firing and including claims and manufacturing of reasons for it.

In anycase for Esks fans Rhodes, Maas, Sunderland are not good news. This org will slowly go back down again to where it was before Hervey and Jones resurrected the club.

Not sure how anyone would blame Maas. Yeah, he blew the call against YYC in the western final, but has been pretty brilliant otherwise (IMHO).

Now, Benivez? Sure, lots of injuries, but we haven't had a top flight defense since ...when?

Hervey knows the SEC, where a LOT of talent comes from ... Sunderland it would seem not so much. We seem great at finding great receivers, DB's ... again, not so much.
    ... gobsmacked

What does bums in the seats have to do with winning a football game? Your posts are laughable. The Argo team on the field are the defending champions.

What does bums in the seats have to do with winning a football game? Your posts are laughable. The Argo team on the field are the defending champions.
    Grab a clue. Ray is injured, Franklin was in, in one of his first starts. The Eskimos are the only Western team that has so much difficulty with the Argos in regular season. 2-7 in Reilly era and also a loss in the playoffs. It is hard to explain as the Eskimos have a far better record than the Argos in the Reilly era, in all other matchups.

Next, obviously the Eskimos and Riders should be the two top clubs in the league. They are the only franchises that are fiscally solid, have good gate, and that can even consistently spend to cap if they want to as well as splurge on more coaching staff, scouts and better training facilities. The Esks and Riders have every advantage in this league and have had for decades. So that they should do better than they have been.

Finally you're too thick to realize that the Argos won the cup because Maas blew it in the WC final throwing the game away on ***** logic. Had the Esks met the Argos in the GC I liked their chances last season. I don't this season.

It is quite the leap to think that the Eskimos would have won the game against the Stampeders last year if they went for it on 3rd down there. Just going for it on third down doesn't mean they would have won the game.

It is quite the leap to think that the Eskimos would have won the game against the Stampeders last year if they went for it on 3rd down there. Just going for it on third down doesn't mean they would have won the game.
    No one can say they would have won the game but it was a terrible call by Maas and contributed to the loss.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

No one can say they would have won the game but it was a terrible call by Maas and contributed to the loss.
    they were both terrible calls and they may still have lost both of those games but more importantly - and possibly more detrimentally - it was clearly a statement regarding his lack of confidence in his offense at a time in the game when exactly the opposite was needed. even if they were unsuccessful on either or both occasions, that expression of confidence and faith would have continued to pay dividends as opposed to the frustration that was exacerbated instead.

Well, I liked the Eskimos chances on the gamble, in scoring position, and keeping in mind that the Eskimos offense, and Reilly, are the strengths of the team, who had momentum, and another potential scoring drive going. I do think the Eskimos would have prevailed but in anycase the Maas decision was highly illogical and hardly anybody outside the org supported the decision.

The logic was that he knew Calgary would be playing 2 down football and not 3 down football. Which is exactly what they did play. That Calgary's offence wouldn't be going for broke with over a minute left to put the winning points back on the board with his offence then not having enough time to respond.

As opposed to having a lack of confidence in his offence perhaps he just has too much confidence in his defence.

Esks won last night! It was a low-scoring affair though.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

The rain helped make that an ugly game. Lots of dropped passes.

I just hope that Gable recovers from that incredibly dirty hit he took with a minute left in the game. For those who haven't seen it, the Argos player made a late hit with his helmet to the side of Gable's head after he was tackled and lying on the ground. It's the kind of hit that causes permanent disability to guys. It looked disgusting. Here is TSN panel talking about it:

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/sanchez...g-film~1438411

I just hope that Gable recovers from that incredibly dirty hit he took with a minute left in the game. For those who haven't seen it, the Argos player made a late hit with his helmet to the side of Gable's head after he was tackled and lying on the ground. It's the kind of hit that causes permanent disability to guys. It looked disgusting. Here is TSN panel talking about it:

Its a strange sequence. The helmet to helmet direct hit is what caused the injury. Gable looked like he was knocked out on his feet and concussed. The on the ground hit by anoher player was a dirty play. But I thought head on hits were supposed to be called now as well. Both plays were dirty imo and it was the first that injured him.

lol that paid attendance was 31K (are they making this up) and 20K were in the stands. That is the least amount of people ever seen at an Esks game in commonwealth. I wonder how bad attendance would be if this had not been a GC year and will all that promotion and STH having first access for seats.

btw still 3K tickets left for GC which has been on sale for months. They can't seem to get rid of those seats.

I think people are cluing in the Esks won't likely be playing in that game.

Yeah - there's no way there were 31,000 people there.

The smallest attendance I ever saw at Commonwealth was back in the 90s when the Las Vegas Posse were going to fold, so their last home game against the Esks was played in Edmonton instead. I think there was only 14,000 people there (but it was 14,000 more than would've shown up in Vegas - ha ha).

Anybody else think Duke Williams is the latest version of Messam? I just get tired of his over the top antics and last night costing the team a penalty which contributed to the Argos coming back with a TD. Just seems that Williams is kind of allways showboating out there and even motivating opponents anger with his antics. I kind of wonder about this guy and how long he's going to be a positive player here. He's had numerous problems before and not hard to see. Seems like his ego is bigger than the dressingroom and so far the Esks are handling that but how long before we start to see the other side of Duke? Just don't trust this player.

I miss Zylstra who was better, caught way more of the passes thrown his way, and acted like it was no big deal when he made a reception. With Duke everytime he catches the ball its like he scored a TD. Gotta wonder what is happening with Walker too. he hasn't been much lately. We have one go to receiver and that guy seems unhinged.

Its a strange sequence. The helmet to helmet direct hit is what caused the injury. Gable looked like he was knocked out on his feet and concussed. The on the ground hit by anoher player was a dirty play. But I thought head on hits were supposed to be called now as well. Both plays were dirty imo and it was the first that injured him.

lol that paid attendance was 31K (are they making this up) and 20K were in the stands. That is the least amount of people ever seen at an Esks game in commonwealth. I wonder how bad attendance would be if this had not been a GC year and will all that promotion and STH having first access for seats.

btw still 3K tickets left for GC which has been on sale for months. They can't seem to get rid of those seats.

Sad post from a sad sad man

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Sad post from a sad sad man
    In what way? I find Replacements Eskimo game analysis quite interesting. Do you know Replacement personally to make a comment about him being sad in any way? My response to your post was not met with any kind of vitriol or malice, just curious.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Anybody else think Duke Williams is the latest version of Messam? I just get tired of his over the top antics and last night costing the team a penalty which contributed to the Argos coming back with a TD. Just seems that Williams is kind of allways showboating out there and even motivating opponents anger with his antics. I kind of wonder about this guy and how long he's going to be a positive player here. He's had numerous problems before and not hard to see. Seems like his ego is bigger than the dressingroom and so far the Esks are handling that but how long before we start to see the other side of Duke? Just don't trust this player.

I miss Zylstra who was better, caught way more of the passes thrown his way, and acted like it was no big deal when he made a reception. With Duke everytime he catches the ball its like he scored a TD. Gotta wonder what is happening with Walker too. he hasn't been much lately. We have one go to receiver and that guy seems unhinged.
    Was Williams the guy that made that helmet hit? I didn't see the game as I was at work. The panel was saying at post game that it was a dirty play from a not so dirty play making player. What's this about Gable being injured?

Still too many stupid penalties at bad times in that game. They will be the Esks' undoing because the team isn't reliably good enough to consistently overcome them.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

the rain did help make that an ugly game.

don't you think it’s possible that it also contributed to an ugly attendance number? i think that’s possible on two fronts...

commonwealth is an easy stadium to get to quite quickly, even at the last minute, and there’s never a question of the stadium being sold out. what we might have had in terms of a walk up gate if it had been 10 degrees warmer and dry simply evaporated before the opening kickoff.

related to that is the fact that football tickets - either for the season or per game - range from relatively inexpensive to downright cheap. it’s pretty affordable to write off the ticket cost to stay warm and dry and easy to rationalize when the game is telecast (or mostly telecast, weather related broadcast difficulties notwithstanding).

People got tickets then didn't go, people left early. Of course the weather makes a difference

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The rain eased off a bit in the 4th quarter. Lots off fans were on the lrt platform heading for Clareview etc.

What? Having some games played in -23 with a -27 wind chill? And we're worried about a little rain?

A guy meeting somone on my #5 by 124th Street said he had a free ticket and might make half time but yes, Commonwealth is very accessable. There is some construction work going on right now close to the platform. Maybe that guy got to use his ticket after all.

Plus we get the analysis of the Sportsnet panel as well. Although I miss Chris Shultz and his commentating

I personally know 4 people who did not go to last night's game due to the weather. So yes, attendance is greatly affected by the weather.

The hit on Gable is unfortunate. He can be out for a while. I don't even know who is the backup RB. We got rid of a bunch in training camp, include White.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    People got tickets then didn't go, people left early. Of course the weather makes a difference
    i was replying to Replacement's post, not yours, and his comments on the paid/actual/bad attendance as if it had everything to do with his negative thoughts on the team this year (not entirely invalid by the way) and nothing at all to do with something as simple as $hitty weather.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    i was replying to Replacement's post, not yours, and his comments on the paid/actual/bad attendance as if it had everything to do with his negative thoughts on the team this year (not entirely invalid by the way) and nothing at all to do with something as simple as $hitty weather.
    I wasn't replying to you...I just posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast