Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Eskimos 2018 Season and Grey Cup 2018

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    I personally know 4 people who did not go to last night's game due to the weather. So yes, attendance is greatly affected by the weather.

The hit on Gable is unfortunate. He can be out for a while. I don't even know who is the backup RB. We got rid of a bunch in training camp, include White.

Me too.

We were asked to go, but I prefer it when it's warm..I've sat in play off games in -28 etc, I dont need to be wet and cold, when I can sit and drink, I mean, keep warm at home

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    The rain helped make that an ugly game. Lots of dropped passes.

I just hope that Gable recovers from that incredibly dirty hit he took with a minute left in the game. For those who haven't seen it, the Argos player made a late hit with his helmet to the side of Gable's head after he was tackled and lying on the ground. It's the kind of hit that causes permanent disability to guys. It looked disgusting. Here is TSN panel talking about it:

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/sanchez...g-film~1438411
    Its a strange sequence. The helmet to helmet direct hit is what caused the injury. Gable looked like he was knocked out on his feet and concussed. The on the ground hit by anoher player was a dirty play. But I thought head on hits were supposed to be called now as well. Both plays were dirty imo and it was the first that injured him.

lol that paid attendance was 31K (are they making this up) and 20K were in the stands. That is the least amount of people ever seen at an Esks game in commonwealth. I wonder how bad attendance would be if this had not been a GC year and will all that promotion and STH having first access for seats.

btw still 3K tickets left for GC which has been on sale for months. They can't seem to get rid of those seats.

I think people are cluing in the Esks won't likely be playing in that game.

Sad post from a sad sad man
    In what way? I find Replacements Eskimo game analysis quite interesting. Do you know Replacement personally to make a comment about him being sad in any way? My response to your post was not met with any kind of vitriol or malice, just curious.
    He's apparently my personal troll. The only time he responds to my posts its some disconnected ad hominem comment. Williams is the Eskimos receiver that does a dance everytime he touches the ball. A little over the top. I'm old school, if making a play act like you've been there before..
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-07-2018 at 02:31 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

I just hope that Gable recovers from that incredibly dirty hit he took with a minute left in the game. For those who haven't seen it, the Argos player made a late hit with his helmet to the side of Gable's head after he was tackled and lying on the ground. It's the kind of hit that causes permanent disability to guys. It looked disgusting. Here is TSN panel talking about it:

Its a strange sequence. The helmet to helmet direct hit is what caused the injury. Gable looked like he was knocked out on his feet and concussed. The on the ground hit by anoher player was a dirty play. But I thought head on hits were supposed to be called now as well. Both plays were dirty imo and it was the first that injured him.

lol that paid attendance was 31K (are they making this up) and 20K were in the stands. That is the least amount of people ever seen at an Esks game in commonwealth. I wonder how bad attendance would be if this had not been a GC year and will all that promotion and STH having first access for seats.

btw still 3K tickets left for GC which has been on sale for months. They can't seem to get rid of those seats.

the rain did help make that an ugly game.

don't you think it’s possible that it also contributed to an ugly attendance number? i think that’s possible on two fronts...

commonwealth is an easy stadium to get to quite quickly, even at the last minute, and there’s never a question of the stadium being sold out. what we might have had in terms of a walk up gate if it had been 10 degrees warmer and dry simply evaporated before the opening kickoff.

related to that is the fact that football tickets - either for the season or per game - range from relatively inexpensive to downright cheap. it’s pretty affordable to write off the ticket cost to stay warm and dry and easy to rationalize when the game is telecast (or mostly telecast, weather related broadcast difficulties notwithstanding).
    The majority of Esks games seem to have bad weather. Its not an uncommon occurrence, and it has never resulted in a crowd this small. Reported was around 20K actually there. Been to plenty games where it rained through ad people went to the game. The difference is that some of those clubs were compelling. I feel really sorry for Mike Reilly. Absolutely love the guy, but not the org presently which is giving less and less a reason for people to make the effort to attend. Can you blame them? This team would be really bad without Reilly.

For sure ****** weather can impact walkup. But it usually doesn't impact whether people with tickets decide to stay home to this degree. 1/3 of people did not show according to a EJ report. Keeping in mind as well that Ludicris played at half time and they were expecting younger people to go for that as well. Actually from the support he got it appears he had many fans in the crowd and several younger fans quoted as going to check out the game, and Ludicris.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-07-2018 at 02:25 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

The rain eased off a bit in the 4th quarter. Lots off fans were on the lrt platform heading for Clareview etc.

What? Having some games played in -23 with a -27 wind chill? And we're worried about a little rain?

A guy meeting somone on my #5 by 124th Street said he had a free ticket and might make half time but yes, Commonwealth is very accessable. There is some construction work going on right now close to the platform. Maybe that guy got to use his ticket after all.

Plus we get the analysis of the Sportsnet panel as well. Although I miss Chris Shultz and his commentating
    Its bad news for the CFL, or one of its two flagship franchises has as many as 10K no shows for a game in conditions that were not close to worst conditions. 31K tickets sold. Actual butts in the seats around 20K. I can't imagine this is a good development. It hints that the product is currently perceived as so poor that its not even worth the effort of going. With the Esks losing in Toronto no doubt having influenced that as much as the weather. This is just a bad team to watch. Really you could show up just for the 2nd half and never miss anything from an Eskimos pov. They are invariably bad in first half action.

I've been to many crappy weather games with much higher attendance too. But those games involved Calgary, Saskatchewan and Winnipeg. And in some years (like the Kavis Reed era) the Eskimos team were brutal.

Toronto Argonauts??? No one cares about that team, even if you live in Toronto. Combine that match up with last night's monsoon and you get low attendance.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

... A little over the top. I'm old school, if making a play act like you've been there before..
    amen to that... it's a football game, not "america's got talent".

these offensive - and defensive - celebrations for being successful doing what it is they're supposed to be doing in the first place have no place in the game.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

... A little over the top. I'm old school, if making a play act like you've been there before..
    amen to that... it's a football game, not "america's got talent".

these offensive - and defensive - celebrations for being successful doing what it is they're supposed to be doing in the first place have no place in the game.
    Yep. Give me Zylstra business as usual any time. Williams got the flag because his actions taunted the opponent. Argos score on the ensuing drive with the benefit of the 15yd penalty. You kind of wonder about the discipline as this was not addressed, the Esks were applauding it. I get that it was funny. But it needs to be confronted. This is the most penalized team in the WC.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The rain eased off a bit in the 4th quarter. Lots off fans were on the lrt platform heading for Clareview etc.

What? Having some games played in -23 with a -27 wind chill? And we're worried about a little rain?

A guy meeting somone on my #5 by 124th Street said he had a free ticket and might make half time but yes, Commonwealth is very accessable. There is some construction work going on right now close to the platform. Maybe that guy got to use his ticket after all.

Plus we get the analysis of the Sportsnet panel as well. Although I miss Chris Shultz and his commentating
    Its bad news for the CFL, or one of its two flagship franchises has as many as 10K no shows for a game in conditions that were not close to worst conditions. 31K tickets sold. Actual butts in the seats around 20K. I can't imagine this is a good development. It hints that the product is currently perceived as so poor that its not even worth the effort of going. With the Esks losing in Toronto no doubt having influenced that as much as the weather. This is just a bad team to watch. Really you could show up just for the 2nd half and never miss anything from an Eskimos pov. They are invariably bad in first half action.
    From Eskimo games I've seen not much is worth watching in the 1st half, except the panel at half time. Too be fair there are other events going on and summer itself. At this stage, Esks couldn't give 50/50 tickets away and hold free admission to get above 35k in attendance. I think the biggest attendance games are the Riders/Eskimo games because of the Rider fan base. Without the Rider fan base, these games hold very little value as an entertainment option and its not going to improve during K-days up to after the labour day classic. I haven't checked the schedule yet but are there any Eskimo home games during K-days?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I've been to many crappy weather games with much higher attendance too. But those games involved Calgary, Saskatchewan and Winnipeg. And in some years (like the Kavis Reed era) the Eskimos team were brutal.

Toronto Argonauts??? No one cares about that team, even if you live in Toronto. Combine that match up with last night's monsoon and you get low attendance.
    Which is sad because this is a Grey cup year for Edmonton. Heck I've seen heavy precp games between Hamilton/Ottawa wash outs that were so bad worse then last nights deluge, and even through heavy rain sheets the local faithful in those games attendance were good. Nothing against Jason Maas or anything.

From Eskimo games I've seen not much is worth watching in the 1st half, except the panel at half time. Too be fair there are other events going on and summer itself. At this stage, Esks couldn't give 50/50 tickets away and hold free admission to get above 35k in attendance. I think the biggest attendance games are the Riders/Eskimo games because of the Rider fan base. Without the Rider fan base, these games hold very little value as an entertainment option and its not going to improve during K-days up to after the labour day classic. I haven't checked the schedule yet but are there any Eskimo home games during K-days?
    The Esks usually deal with KDays by offering a free ticket to K days for every person attending the concurrently scheduled Esks game. Its a promotion that makes sense for most parties. We've done both in a day or go to K days after the game for a few late night hours and the fireworks.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Thanks. I've never attended a game while K days has been on. I've only begun watching the CFL/Eskimo games since about 2010, even though mom and dad always had BC Lions games on TV during the 60's.

the rain did help make that an ugly game.

don't you think it’s possible that it also contributed to an ugly attendance number? i think that’s possible on two fronts...

commonwealth is an easy stadium to get to quite quickly, even at the last minute, and there’s never a question of the stadium being sold out. what we might have had in terms of a walk up gate if it had been 10 degrees warmer and dry simply evaporated before the opening kickoff.

related to that is the fact that football tickets - either for the season or per game - range from relatively inexpensive to downright cheap. it’s pretty affordable to write off the ticket cost to stay warm and dry and easy to rationalize when the game is telecast (or mostly telecast, weather related broadcast difficulties notwithstanding).
    The majority of Esks games seem to have bad weather. Its not an uncommon occurrence, and it has never resulted in a crowd this small. Reported was around 20K actually there. Been to plenty games where it rained through ad people went to the game. The difference is that some of those clubs were compelling. I feel really sorry for Mike Reilly. Absolutely love the guy, but not the org presently which is giving less and less a reason for people to make the effort to attend. Can you blame them? This team would be really bad without Reilly.

For sure ****** weather can impact walkup. But it usually doesn't impact whether people with tickets decide to stay home to this degree. 1/3 of people did not show according to a EJ report. Keeping in mind as well that Ludicris played at half time and they were expecting younger people to go for that as well. Actually from the support he got it appears he had many fans in the crowd and several younger fans quoted as going to check out the game, and Ludicris.

Did you happen to see all the storm warnings? The last time( and I'm not talking about snow or cold )when they had lightening etc, the game went on for five hours..not what people wanted..most of the crowd in Winnipeg left the game

Which is sad because this is a Grey cup year for Edmonton. Heck I've seen heavy precp games between Hamilton/Ottawa wash outs that were so bad worse then last nights deluge, and even through heavy rain sheets the local faithful in those games attendance were good. Nothing against Jason Maas or anything.

There were games in Hamilton, where attendance was very low, whatever the weather..and nobody cares about TO, including TO

^^That's a very good point HL. The game in Winnipeg precedent could have a lot of people beware of now going to games in any storm.

While there were warnings of tornadic potential storms south and east in the province I wasn't aware of any hear other than a thunderstorm advisory and there really was no thunder. Here just a rain fall.

It could be as well that the intense 3am storm the night before that hit Edmonton had people leery.

^^That's a very good point HL. The game in Winnipeg precedent could have a lot of people beware of now going to games in any storm.

While there were warnings of tornadic potential storms south and east in the province I wasn't aware of any hear other than a thunderstorm advisory and there really was no thunder. Here just a rain fall.

It could be as well that the intense 3am storm the night before that hit Edmonton had people leery.

I think so, plus on the 6.00 pm news, thunderstorms warnings were in place..thankfully they didn't materialize.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

I think so, plus on the 6.00 pm news, thunderstorms warnings were in place..thankfully they didn't materialize.
    Its interesting, and another topic, what societal cost there is now in weather reports going to hyperwarnings mode. We've gone from a situation where there was concern that massive storms wouldn't be detected/alerted to a present day where every second day in summer we're being told of some thunder storm, mentions of possible tornadoes etc.

So that I think a side to this is people avoiding going out on days when there was no real reason to avoid doing so. For instance they rarely say just "rainshowers" It seems now that warnings of thunderstorms are there everytime we get precipitation in summer. Also the Winnipeg thing, and the Edmonton delay were pretty hyper reactive as well. For instance several people commented that when the game in Edmonton was delayed 45 minutes due to thunderstorms that they were actually not hearing or seeing Thunderstorms in the vicinity (people that were actually there) so that the game was proactively delayed 45mins just on the thought and warning that they might occur.

C2E Long Term Contributor

https://twitter.com/byterryjones/sta...44258050301953

Terry Jones‏ @byterryjones
    CFL Average Attendance After Week Five
    1.Saskatchewan 31,230
    2.Edmonton 30,637
    3.Winnipeg 26,012
    4.Ottawa 24,224
    5.Hamilton 23,721
    6.Calgary 23,585
    7.B.C. 20,182
    8.Montreal 18,108
    9.Toronto 14,323
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The next Eskimo home game is August 2 so fortunately it does not occur during Klondike Days. It is a disaster trying to park in the northeast for an LRT ride to those games.

Replacement, where did you get a report that there were actually 20k butts in the seats? Although we actually used all five of our seats for that game I think it is the first one this year we did. I doubt they were even close to 20,000 attending.The lower bowl from goal line to goal line on the east side doesn't even hold 10,000 people (Section N to Z holds 10,314 people with 2,248 of those seats being in sections N and Z which start rounding the corner and are mostly outside the goal lines).

The previous home game had a lightning warning that delayed the start of the game. We didn't get home until midnight after that game. When people know they can watch the game at home and stay dry many of them do.

^ Granted, the previous home game had a 8 pm kickoff. The game against the Argos was a 7 pm start.

But I get your point, there are not many diehard football fans anymore like during the Warren Moon era. There now needs to be a good combination of great weather and great a match-up to get over 30k.

Dress for the elements. I had my Sears raincoat on and had a great time in Section N. Was even joking to other folks in my section that it feels like a camping trip.

In the 4th quarter my friends bailed so I ended up watching the game in the concourse fan zone. So even if you can't handle the elements, fans have that option. Before in the Warren Moon days you either freeze in your seat or go home.

True about the start times. In the Warren Moon era you couldn't go home and watch the game on TV. You would have had to listen to Brian Hall.

Sad post from a sad sad man
    In what way? I find Replacements Eskimo game analysis quite interesting. Do you know Replacement personally to make a comment about him being sad in any way? My response to your post was not met with any kind of vitriol or malice, just curious.

My comment was in response to a poster who is constantly negative about everything. I have been on this forum since 2007 and I have yet to see a positive comment from this poster. Constructive comments are welcome but when everything is critical and negative it gets very tiresome. Thank god we have the ignore option, it is an option I now use.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Thanks for your respons. I look beyond the negative but yes some posters are more negative then others. Yours truley can be guilty of that sometimes as well. It's still "early in the season" but I hope the Eskimo's not only make the playoffs but are in the final, win or lose. As for the ignore button, personally I don't use it. All of us have good and bad days. If someone is out too lunch on a topic, I'll call them on it. I'm sure I'm on somebody's ignore list, but that's ok. Its their loss, and they can always turn off the ignore button as easily as they can on. Also, even though the poster might be in ignore, other posters respond to the one being ignored. Nobody has to respond to my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    The next Eskimo home game is August 2 so fortunately it does not occur during Klondike Days. It is a disaster trying to park in the northeast for an LRT ride to those games.

Replacement, where did you get a report that there were actually 20k butts in the seats? Although we actually used all five of our seats for that game I think it is the first one this year we did. I doubt they were even close to 20,000 attending.The lower bowl from goal line to goal line on the east side doesn't even hold 10,000 people (Section N to Z holds 10,314 people with 2,248 of those seats being in sections N and Z which start rounding the corner and are mostly outside the goal lines).

The previous home game had a lightning warning that delayed the start of the game. We didn't get home until midnight after that game. When people know they can watch the game at home and stay dry many of them do.
    The Edmonton Journal print edition the day after the game just mentioned that only 2/3 of the 31K bothered to actually show up. That seemed like an optimistic estimate. Even most of the prime seats were empty and they don't really prevent people from just sitting in better sections. When most of Center field seating is empty attendance likely wasn't that much, I agree. In anycase the only number that ever gets posted is paid attendance.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

And on another note, nobody claimed the 50/50, which was something like what $110,000?

Ticket 203708C for $71,480.00 is unclaimed as of the eskimo website this morning.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Yould think most fans would have checked their ticket stubs by now or maybe lost them during the rain, or whatever. Still that's a nice chunk of change.

Former NFL receiver Terrell Owens activates window with Edmonton Eskimos

Terrell Owens isn’t finished with football just yet.

According to a CFL source, the former NFL receiver has activated a 10-day window to receive a contract offer from the Edmonton Eskimos by July 24 or force them to relinquish his rights.

The 44-year-old, who last played pro football in 2010, has been on Edmonton’s 45-man negotiation list since June 19.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4335934/t...imos-contract/
    Good for ticket sales if the Eskies sign Terrell!

Would be the worst gimmick of the Eskimos once proud franchise trying to sell tickets in this manner.

There is no reason to do this contract. Certainly not in a tight capped league.

Ya, it is exactly that.... a gimmick. The Eskimos are not getting the 2004 version of Owens. Plus what message are they sending to the current Eskies receivers?

Can anyone remember Ricky Williams or Mark Gastineau? Only desperate CFL teams will consider signing NFL rejects. The once flagship franchise of the CFL should be above the circus side show.

Can we get TSN to use video of the city that is not 10 years old. They are using stock footage of downtown with out Rogers Place even.

Nobody claimed the $71,480 jackpot as of 4 PM today.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
    Can we get TSN to use video of the city that is not 10 years old. They are using stock footage of downtown with out Rogers Place even.
    Yep. Its just ridiculous. Same footage each time. TSN is actively trying to find ways to attract new viewers to the product and they're using the stock footage every broadcast. Also, how do they figure viewers at home are NOT interested in players entering field and the fireworks. In hockey they generally recognize to show that.

They want more hype conveyed in the broadcast so maybe show the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Nobody claimed the $71,480 jackpot as of 4 PM today.
    This will be rolled into the 50/50 during the Aug 2 game.

So interesting that the Riders have beat the Ticats twice now. Hamilton completely annihilated the Esks in the only game the Esks have had thus far against a good club.

So as smoke clears we have Stamps clearly the class of the West once again. Riders likely 2nd best team and Esks slugging it out with Leos and Bombers for 3rd place. With both of those two teams improving with Bombers getting Nichols back and Leos getting Lulay back.

I wonder how many show up for the next Esks home game. Everytime I watch another CFL game (except Montreal) I see teams with better personnel on all sides (Except QB, Reilly is the best)

But as the schedule progresses the esks probably struggle in games against;

Calgary, Ottawa, Sask, Hamilton. That's half of the league opponents. Other than one game we've only played the easiest opponents thus far.

If the Eskimos keep racking up a field's worth of penalty yardage, half of them for the most bone-headed errors, they'll be Grey Cup spectators.

One Duh after another tonight... and another slow start... the won only because Montreal is so bad, not because they are so good...
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Almost 2 Fields worth.

44-23. Good for them!

44-23. Good for them!
    The Esks were playing a horrible club, the worst football team in all of pro sports. Theres every team, then theres the ALs.

lol as well that the Als botched 3 FG's and then another possession at the Esks 10yd line when they inexplicably lost track of the time clock on home field and let the clock run out.

It was a comic showing by the Als all around. Heres the deal, without missed FG's in the first half this D gives up around 23 pts just in the first half. Against a joke offense.

The Esks D is deplorable. Without Reilly being a hero every night we aren't getting wins even against putrid teams. The Esks have had the weakest schedule thus far of any club in the league. We have played none of the better clubs yet. (Calgary, Sask, Ottawa)

I know all that, I know that they took too many dumb penalties.Guess what, they also know that!
    They won, I'm happy.

Best QB and receivers in the league.

Best QB and receivers in the league.
    Absolutely!

I know all that, I know that they took too many dumb penalties.Guess what, they also know that!
    They won, I'm happy.
    Who doesn't beat Montreal? Its not a trick question.

Ps We're the only team to manage to lose to the RR-less Argos and we've almost done it twice.

No idea, their not my team, I follow the esks..

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Any Eastern team that beats a Western team in the CFL (other then Eskimos ) is good for us. If the Argo's beat Calgary, I need to know.

400k 50/50 damn.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Good crowd but it was the third game this year with rain or the threat of rain. Also, I understand why they have the 8:00 pm start (TV) but the league needs to re-think it for weekday games, too late for some who have to work the next day.

Excuse me while I rant a bit. Actual football aside, what was that crap TNF Concert half time thing? Some bloody third rate rapper with what sounded like an 80's boombox for a sound system. (They sure hand out Juno Awards like Smarties.) And the fake little gaggle of 'fans' herded into the stage area for effect like something super exciting going on, gawd. Concert? CONCERT? Give me a break.

I'd rather have watched the sunset, or have listened to Jock, Matty, and Hank some more.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Both defenses played very well. That game was a tough win.

Saskatchewan's defense gave very little to Reilly to throw to, but I think that's why the Esks ran the ball well (when they did). In fact, they only truly struggled with the 2-and-outs on offense when they went to a full passing attack.

And I agree that the halftime shows have been garbage. Why is a rapper every time? We hear enough rap music between plays during the game. Actually, I think the halftime show would've been better if they had just showed highlights of the crazy 42-41 Toronto vs Ottawa game on the big screen.

....going after a younger, hipper demo....
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Almost every one of the artists have been rap oriented. There are several genres that young people listen to. This is just the ones the CFL are targeting. Indeed its kind of inane that Toronto doesn't want the CFL, and is disinterested, but when it comes to the halftime selections we're seeing its because the acts are big in Toronto.

We just witnessed a K Days that was still able to field a wide range of acts and that were well received and that were huge draws. They actually did a good job.

In anycase going EXCLUSIVELY after a younger demographic is ignoring the one you got. You can't or shouldn't have nearly every artist be rappers.

Finally, we were at Taste of Edmonton on Saturday and undeniably the Electro artist, Freddy J, from Calgary, they had playing there was better, and far more interesting than Jazz Cartier. Even somebody that liked rap would have a hard time saying that the performance was good. His second song didn't even resemble one. Its formulaic drivel. Rap needs to be more than just rhyming into a mic. Its like the improv of music.
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-08-2018 at 12:51 PM.

If they want to appeal to the real demographics of the CFL then they need to book the Guess Who and Trooper instead of hip-hop

I have been to 3 games this year an found the demographics to include all age groups. Certainly there are lots of those in our 50’s and 60’s that go to the games but there is a good number of younger people as well.

It wasn't a pretty win, but the esks won!
    Poor Reilly, he threw himself under the bus in a post interview .He has such gritty determination, I knew he'd help pull out a win. Sask played well..

If they want to appeal to the real demographics of the CFL then they need to book the Guess Who and Trooper instead of hip-hop
    There is no need to appeal to that demographic, they have a better attention span and actually want to watch football.

Musical tastes in young people are as diverse and wide-ranging as they've ever been. Heck, my (teenage) kids and their friends listen to lots of things, but they don't listen to rap.

If the Esks & CFL want to have live music at halftime, that's great. But please mix it up throughout the season.

Musical tastes in young people are as diverse and wide-ranging as they've ever been. Heck, my (teenage) kids and their friends listen to lots of things, but they don't listen to rap.

If the Esks & CFL want to have live music at halftime, that's great. But please mix it up throughout the season.
    Technology has broken up the old naturally oligopolistic nature of media. (Just as prior generations experienced radio and then TV braking up the newspaper’s monopolistic filtering.) Today everyone has vastly expanded choice and exposure to different music, news, video, etc. There’s no longer a “mainstream media” and there’s no longer ‘mainstream audio’ funnelled through a few radio stations per region and a few music stores.
    Last edited by KC; 03-08-2018 at 04:33 PM.

C2E Continued Contributor

Snapped a bunch of photos last night at the game and stitched them together. What a great game it was!

There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Very cool, StevieG. Kudos.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Very cool, StevieG. Kudos.
    Thanks Howie!

I have a feeling that the Esks made a big mistake in letting Ed Hervey go. Now he's the Lions GM and they won last night vs the Esks.

Once again The Esks beat themselves with penalties. About 130 yards this time, 1-1/4 of a field.

I have a feeling that the Esks made a big mistake in letting Ed Hervey go. Now he's the Lions GM and they won last night vs the Esks.
    Hervey was miles better than Sunderland. But he wasn't as nice and so Esks nation goes a different way. ironically while having Jason Maas as coach. As long as Rhodes Scholar is making decisions little the Esks do makes sense.

If Lulay stays healthy the Esks could even end up in last place this season. That would be about the kind of thing required to get rid of some of these bozos.

This org was best its been run in decades with Hervey as manager and Jones as coach.

I thought it was a good game, so we didn't win, okay..

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Good attitude. We can't win them all. We held them to the end. The Lions just played better then we did. There's lots of game left in the month. Now if we lose to the Al's on our turf next Saturday, that'd be emberasing.

WE lost to the last place team in the West. Which should give some measure on what the Esks are. We barely beat Winnipeg without Nichols at QB, and we barely got by the riders requiring some superhuman efforts by Reilly.

The Eskimos have had a ridiculously easy schedule to this point. The last 9 games are a lot harder than the first 9. As this season progresses I think 3rd place in the west is an outside shot. Stamps are obviously better and Riders and Bombers are probably better. We could be duking it out with Leos, who we lost to, just for a playoff spot.

Reilly had a pretty bad half of football last night.

WE lost to the last place team in the West. Which should give some measure on what the Esks are. We barely beat Winnipeg without Nichols at QB, and we barely got by the riders requiring some superhuman efforts by Reilly.

The Eskimos have had a ridiculously easy schedule to this point. The last 9 games are a lot harder than the first 9. As this season progresses I think 3rd place in the west is an outside shot. Stamps are obviously better and Riders and Bombers are probably better. We could be duking it out with Leos, who we lost to, just for a playoff spot.

What's your point? I can still enjoy a game...

meh, Other seasons I could take it or leave it. But losing to the GM that the Eskimos fired and with multiple Leos being key players in the loss, and occurring in a GC hosting year is a bit much to see this team fall on its face. If you enjoy losses like this you are well accommodated as an Edmonton sports fan..

meh, Other seasons I could take it or leave it. But losing to the GM that the Eskimos fired and with multiple Leos being key players in the loss, and occurring in a GC hosting year is a bit much to see this team fall on its face. If you enjoy losses like this you are well accommodated as an Edmonton sports fan..
    I don't enjoy losses, I can however enjoy the game. I don't ever get the feeling you a) like the esks and b) enjoy football. I'm not going to get bitter and twisted over it though, I'll leave that to you...

I don't enjoy losses, I can however enjoy the game. I don't ever get the feeling you a) like the esks and b) enjoy football. I'm not going to get bitter and twisted over it though, I'll leave that to you...
    I like Reilly. I'd enjoy the Esks more if hervey and Jones were still here. Harder to have optimism when Sunderland and Rhodes Scholar are running the shop and Maas is making on field decisions.

The game was good. I've always like Lulay and not much better than a Reilly vs Lulay tilt. Trouble is that Reilly is so good it seems like every season he gets his receivers NFL auditions.

I love Reilly! Love ,love, love..

I can even get it from a man love pov. He's like a football version of John Wayne or Gary Cooper just taking care of business and bad guys. Even walks on the field like a boss..

My wife likes the Taylor Hall all innocent types. Reilly too rough and macho looking for her preferences..

I can even get it from a man love pov. He's like a football version of John Wayne or Gary Cooper just taking care of business and bad guys. Even walks on the field like a boss..

My wife likes the Taylor Hall all innocent types. Reilly too rough and macho looking for her preferences..

LOL, Reilly is gritty! Taylor Hall , no,just no..

I for one think he's Football's John Elway.

John Elway is Football, did you mean Mike Reilly is the CFLs John Elway?
    Last edited by Drumbones; 12-08-2018 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    John Elway is Football, did you mean Mike Reilly is the CFLs John Elway?
    No.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

What's with the Al's and their objectional penalty calls? Should be an interesting 2nd half.

Esks win! I missed most of the game though, so I don't know how well they fared against such a weak team as the Als.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Mike Reilly's completion rate was pretty good. This was the Esks 10 straight win against the Al's. Tyrell Sutton in the 2nd half suffered an injury and had to be carted out. The Al's played meh and fumbled a long ball to their receiver in the end zone. There was some punches being throwed and both players got ejected from the game. I dozed off here and there on the couch. I'll take the 24/40 win though.

Who is the Als coach, he looks fun doesn't he..lol
    Reilly's 2nd daughter is arriving Monday! I love our QB!!

The Eskimos' offense played well, and the defense was OK. But the Esks really need to improve their coverage on punts and kickoffs. The Als got a few big kick returns that gave them excellent field position - one of them set up their second touchdown.

The team overall seemed to play more disciplined as well, which they will need to do if they are to be a contender.

This D and contender shouldn't be in the same sentence. Back nine of the schedule will be a lot harder.

So far we played the Argos before they had a QB twice, We played the AL's that don't have anything twice, The Bombers without Nichols,

Meanwhile when we've faced QB's weve lost. With both Lulay and Masoli just rolling us.

Harris, Mitchell, Lulay, Masoli, take this Esks D apart.

We gave up 24 to the lowly Als and would have been 31 pts without a flat out drop on another TD toss. Actually without drops the AL's had two more scores. This D stops nothing.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Colour commentary during last nights game was saying some pretty good things about our QB. With a loss win record Eskimo's 3-6 looks pretty good this time of year. Jason Maas was very composed in last nights game. It was nice to see Joey Moss in a Eskimo Jersey.

Colour commentary during last nights game was saying some pretty good things about our QB. With a loss win record Eskimo's 3-6 looks pretty good this time of year. Jason Maas was very composed in last nights game. It was nice to see Joey Moss in a Eskimo Jersey.
    I cannot believe Joey is 50!! I love that guy...
    I think our team is great, from Maas, to Reilly and Cooper!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Couldn't agree more, and I liked the energy from the fans.

Al's looked like they are trying to find their next Anthony Calvillo and stumbling in the dark to do so.

Reilly is simply amazing. Arguably the best CFL QB since Warren Moon. He put on yet another virtuoso performance last night. But its kind of disturbing we need Reilly to be great to beat teams as poor as the Als.

I don't think we know much about the Esks until we see them play the two best teams in the league, Calgary, and Ottawa.

As good as Reilly is the Esks D is bad. They can undo his greatest efforts by just letting the opposition roll anytime they get the ball.

To put things in perspective the Stamps D has allowed only 88pts the entire season. The Esks have allowed 225.

Trouble is the Esks are poor on two sides of the ball. We have the best offense, but our special teams are **** and the D is poor. That usually won't be enough.

This D and contender shouldn't be in the same sentence. Back nine of the schedule will be a lot harder.

So far we played the Argos before they had a QB twice, We played the AL's that don't have anything twice, The Bombers without Nichols,

Meanwhile when we've faced QB's weve lost. With both Lulay and Masoli just rolling us.

Harris, Mitchell, Lulay, Masoli, take this Esks D apart.

We gave up 24 to the lowly Als and would have been 31 pts without a flat out drop on another TD toss. Actually without drops the AL's had two more scores. This D stops nothing.
    This D and contender weren't used in the same sentence.

The Eskimos dominated that game and the score flattered the Alouettes. A poor decision to try a short kick to bury the Als backfired as they had a 53 yard drive for a TD. Their second TD drive was all of 41 yards that was set up when the Eskimos kicked off from their own 25 yard line after Duke Williams was called for objectionable conduct after a TD celebration. The return on that kick was 47 yards. The only touchdown drive that Montreal scored on that started in their own end was in garbage time.

The Alouettes punted 7 times, killed the clock at the end of the half, fumbled for a turnover, made one field goal attempt, and scored three touchdowns (two of which the drives started on the Edmonton side of mid field) on their 13 possessions.

The flat out drop was not a TD drop.

They generated 275 yards of offence.

"Lulay just rolling us" LOL.

The Eskimos lost by 8 points and the offence scored a measly 3 points in the second half. The Lions scored 21 points in the second half. They had a good drive to start the 3rd quarter and scored a TD. They got a field goal on a 'drive' that started at the Edmonton 49. They got a touchdown on a 'drive' that started at the Edmonton 8 and another field goal on 'drive' that started at the Edmonton 26. Their final point came on a punt single with a 'drive' that originated at the Eskimo 43.

Lulay was 16/29 (55%) for 239 yards. Total yardage by BC the whole game was 279 yards.

That is just some scary steam rolling going on there.

Do you even watch the games?

^I do watch the games.

The amount of pts this D gives up considering how little they are on the field is deplorable. This D has it easier than any other D in the league given the amount of time Reilly spends on the field with huge drive after drive. So that the D trots out there for around 25mins a game and still gives up far too many pts. Its more than total yardage. Its about this D being a literal sieve anytime they are on the field.

31pts the D gave up in that BC game. That's a lot considering the Leos have a lot of trouble scoring. Other than the Leos highest scoring total any game this year is 25pts. So that its pretty disgusting that our D gave them more than any other team has.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I think Reilly's completion rate last night was something like 33/49, and has more TD's then any other QB in the league. The Eskimos receive more penalties then any team in the league this year, and that costs us.

I'm happy that the Riders beat Calgary though.
    Last edited by envaneo; 19-08-2018 at 10:18 PM.

Did you read my post? Did you see where BC started their drives from? There is no proof from what you are saying that you watched that game.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I didn't watch the BC game but i know you weren't adressing me

The Eskimos lost by 8 points and the offence scored a measly 3 points in the second half. The Lions scored 21 points in the second half. They had a good drive to start the 3rd quarter and scored a TD. They got a field goal on a 'drive' that started at the Edmonton 49. They got a touchdown on a 'drive' that started at the Edmonton 8 and another field goal on 'drive' that started at the Edmonton 26. Their final point came on a punt single with a 'drive' that originated at the Eskimo 43.

Lulay was 16/29 (55%) for 239 yards. Total yardage by BC the whole game was 279 yards.

Yeah, if anything the Eskimos' defense kept that BC game close despite being on the field for almost the entire second half. The Esk offense was absolutely dismal in the second half of that BC game. Constant two-and-outs.

I think the weakest aspect of the Eskimos this year is their kick return and kick coverage. Their return game is never a threat, and their kick coverage is spotty. They have been giving up big kick return yards in the last few games, which puts their defense at a disadvantage.

The Alouettes punted 7 times, killed the clock at the end of the half, fumbled for a turnover, made one field goal attempt, and scored three touchdowns (two of which the drives started on the Edmonton side of mid field) on their 13 possessions.

The flat out drop was not a TD drop.

They generated 275 yards of offence.

The Eskimos receivers dropped a couple of "sure" catches as well.

As you say, the score flattered the Als.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Yak yards have been pretty decent for the Eskimos this season but the too many 2 & outs in the first half is an offensive unit anomaly that needs to be addressed. Notice how many times Reilly uses our running back in the 1st half. Just wondering who decides that call to use the running back? is it Coaches prerogative or the QB?

Yak yards have been pretty decent for the Eskimos this season but the too many 2 & outs in the first half is an offensive unit anomaly that needs to be addressed. Notice how many times Reilly uses our running back in the 1st half. Just wondering who decides that call to use the running back? is it Coaches prerogative or the QB?
    The offense is the only unit on the Esks that is good. We lead the league in almost every offensive category. We suck at special teams and the D struggles. No offense scored on every drive. At one point in the game yesterday the Esks had scored on an astounding 7/8 drives. This means that for the majority of the game drives were considerable length, and the D was being kept off the field. Yet the D still gave up too many pts to the Als.

The Esks have already been much better in the first quarters and first halfs. This is something that has already changed. Oddly the team in more recent games is now scoring less pts in 2nd halfs.

Whats wrong with using the running game. We have one of the best running games in the league with or without Gable and its good for an offensive line for the team to run. You need that balance so that you keep the opponent tendencies honest and also so that your offensive line have a chance to hit, rather than be hit, on every down. We happen to have an offensive line that is built out and pretty good at moving the line of scrimmage. This suits a run game.

The running game also reduces the number of times Reilly gets squished. He can't take such a beating every game for long...

We won't really know what we have until labor day. I'd say the team and coach are showing more discipline, but if we can't at least come away with one against Calgary then I'd say we aren't a contender.

Yeah, if anything the Eskimos' defense kept that BC game close despite being on the field for almost the entire second half. The Esk offense was absolutely dismal in the second half of that BC game. Constant two-and-outs.

I think the weakest aspect of the Eskimos this year is their kick return and kick coverage. Their return game is never a threat, and their kick coverage is spotty. They have been giving up big kick return yards in the last few games, which puts their defense at a disadvantage.
    The net loss in yards from the kicking game is the biggest problem that the Eskimos have.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast