Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Eskimos 2018 Season and Grey Cup 2018

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    ^^^Residential parking restrictions with ticketing and towing have been in place for 40 years. The boundaries covered by the parking ban have barely changed during this entire time:

https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...strictions.pdf

Yet, it seems that every time there is a game (especially ones involving Calgary or Saskatchewan) people just pull up and think they can park on the avenue beside my house right by the sign that clearly says 'No Parking During Major Stadium Events.' In order to even get to my place a motor vehicle has to drive down a side street because the police have blocked off all the major streets and there are officers at the barricades warning non-residents not to park in the area.
    I completely agree. That said, as in my previous statement, I feel the city should update signage to make people aware that this is a ticket AND towable offense. I parked up on a vacant street right beside 118th and got towed, My fault, but proper signage would have had many of these people going home more than satisfied.

How many signs do they need to put on a street? Just googling 87 Street from 118 Avenue there seems to be three signs per block.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Loved the festal, the vibe, and even the parade (I’m usually not big on parades, but Saturday’s event was whimsical and long!

I noted that even in the army, maybe especially in the army, boys can be boys, revving those big diesel engines to make a little, err lot of noise. Fun too seeing the Blues Brothers burn some rubber.

So, kudos to organizers and volunteers – great job – you did our city proud.

As did TSN – a whole weekend of everything Edmonton.

Not my music, but the pyro and light show at ½ time was spectacular – so kudos there too.

But I too wonder about the slippery field and would like to know more – b/c it was the only black eye in an otherwise solid week, but be it the only it was a big one.

Sorry for the pun, but someone dropped the ball. When was it know the field would be slippery and whose responsibility was it to try remediation?

There was a time – I know I’m old enough – the field would have been covered and heated prior to a game such as this. Who is responsible to do this and why wasn’t it done is, have to admit, what I’d like to know.
    ... gobsmacked

When they covered and heated the natural turf field they also had problems when they took the the tarps off and the moist surface would freeze anyway. Would playing the game during daylight hours when the temperature was above zero helped?

^^Yeah, acres upon acres of surface parking lots are really great for urban vibrancy.

Seriously though in some ways the parking restrictions are designed to save the fans from themselves. There was a time about ten years when the city only enforced the on-street parking restrictions. There was still a lot of mayhem with grassed boulevards getting torn up by vehicles parking in vacant lots and all sorts of other bad behaviour. A city crackdown on these illegal parking lots, combined with including the cost of a transit pass in the price of a football ticket, has done a lot to improve things.

The only fans that were really caught out yesterday were ones who made a last minute decision to drive to the game because of the fine weather. Anyone staying in Downtown hotels, or who purchased tickets in advance, should have been made aware of the parking restrictions. Which - as I pointed out - have been in effect and well-publicized for 40 years.
    That's actually not true. The impound was PACKED with out of towners inflowing from the game that were completely unaware of the City's Bylaws, the line was out the door. With better signage warning of a tow-away zone, I think the situation would be mitigated and these people would have absolutely no excuse.Not to mention, it would absolve the communities of what you make sound is a plaguing problem. I'm not contesting what you say because I don't know, but it sounds to me that proper signage is good for everyone except the tow truck drivers and the city.
    How big do you want the signs to be? They clearly say 'No Parking without Valid Permit During Major Stadium Events.' There are permanent signs (at least one per block) on every street and avenue. For the Grey Cup at least in my area they were supplemented by folding sandwich signs that also clearly said no parking on November 25. Don't most people assume that if you illegally park in a no parking zone that your vehicle is subject to getting towed as well as ticketed?

Sometimes, fans get away with only being ticketed because the tow trucks run out of time to tow all the ticketed cars. Walking around yesterday gave me the impression that the number of illegally parked vehicles was actually below average, and certainly less than a typical Saskatchewan or Calgary game. Maybe that's why a higher than average proportion of the illegally parked cars were towed as well as ticketed.

This is hardly a cash cow for the City. By-law enforcement and impound lot staff have to be paid, as do the companies contracted to do the towing.

C2E Continued Contributor

^^Yeah, acres upon acres of surface parking lots are really great for urban vibrancy.

Seriously though in some ways the parking restrictions are designed to save the fans from themselves. There was a time about ten years when the city only enforced the on-street parking restrictions. There was still a lot of mayhem with grassed boulevards getting torn up by vehicles parking in vacant lots and all sorts of other bad behaviour. A city crackdown on these illegal parking lots, combined with including the cost of a transit pass in the price of a football ticket, has done a lot to improve things.

The only fans that were really caught out yesterday were ones who made a last minute decision to drive to the game because of the fine weather. Anyone staying in Downtown hotels, or who purchased tickets in advance, should have been made aware of the parking restrictions. Which - as I pointed out - have been in effect and well-publicized for 40 years.
    That's actually not true. The impound was PACKED with out of towners inflowing from the game that were completely unaware of the City's Bylaws, the line was out the door. With better signage warning of a tow-away zone, I think the situation would be mitigated and these people would have absolutely no excuse.Not to mention, it would absolve the communities of what you make sound is a plaguing problem. I'm not contesting what you say because I don't know, but it sounds to me that proper signage is good for everyone except the tow truck drivers and the city.
    How big do you want the signs to be? They clearly say 'No Parking without Valid Permit During Major Stadium Events.' There are permanent signs (at least one per block) on every street and avenue. For the Grey Cup at least in my area they were supplemented by folding sandwich signs that also clearly said no parking on November 25. Don't most people assume that if you illegally park in a no parking zone that your vehicle is subject to getting towed as well as ticketed?

Sometimes, fans get away with only being ticketed because the tow trucks run out of time to tow all the ticketed cars. Walking around yesterday gave me the impression that the number of illegally parked vehicles was actually below average, and certainly less than a typical Saskatchewan or Calgary game. Maybe that's why a higher than average proportion of the illegally parked cars were towed as well as ticketed.

This is hardly a cash cow for the City. By-law enforcement and impound lot staff have to be paid, as do the companies contracted to do the towing.
    As stated repeatedly, I feel that the issue would be resolved by putting up Tow-Away Zone signs. Most people are willing to run the risk of getting a ticket during an event, not many would if they knew they'd be getting towed.

This is particularly fair to residents in the community and out of towners. A guy like me? I'll live and learn and won't park (even that far away) again. However the issue will continue for those people.

That said, the event was amazing. It was the second best football related event I've ever been to.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    ^^^Residential parking restrictions with ticketing and towing have been in place for 40 years. The boundaries covered by the parking ban have barely changed during this entire time:

Yet, it seems that every time there is a game (especially ones involving Calgary or Saskatchewan) people just pull up and think they can park on the avenue beside my house right by the sign that clearly says 'No Parking During Major Stadium Events.' In order to even get to my place a motor vehicle has to drive down a side street because the police have blocked off all the major streets and there are officers at the barricades warning non-residents not to park in the area.
    Yeah those "8 days days worth of Stadium events/year" must really be a major inconvenience... lol. I get it, but that's what you get for living near a 56,000 seat stadium - deal with it or move away. Hence why I live in the glorious town of Beaumont where NOTHING ever happens.....

But only in Canada do we build Sports facilities with no adjacent parking similar to the 99% of comparable US facilities. I love the fact that you just come exit off of the 110 and BOOM you're parking underneath at the Staples center. Or parking on any of the giant empty fields that surround Raymond James stadium in Tampa. Or paying 5 bucks to park at the garages at Marlins Park, Chase Field or Talking Stick Arena. Of course exceptions like Safeco or Century Link that have ZERO adjacent parking - so you park at your downtown hotel and bar hop through Pioneer Square on your way down. I guess the city depends on ANY small amount of parking tickets infractions it can get these days....
    I've had the same sentiments in other cities. In Buenos Aires, they were hosting a FIFA qualifier and parking restrictions were actually dropped for the convenience of the patrons. That's the real definition of welcoming; forfeiting a couple bucks to ensure convenience.
    I think this is an extremely important sentiment, as well as the sum issue you raise on parking, and ticketing, in relation to visitors in our city.

Hosting a Grey Cup is not a business as usual day. Its something that on average happens once a decade. Most jurisdictions would give pause for thought about relaxing restrictions on special occasions. This jurisdiction sees it as ample licence and profit. Another way to make money. Off of visitors misery. It seems like a poor idea to me.

I'd wonder about the numbers as well. You say a lot of cars were impounded. Hard to know if the numbers were large. I'd like the press to get ahold of this story as well. In past instances the City has towed a lot of cars. With such a plurality it makes you wonder about any confusion. Humans are weird too. As a species we are very subject to "when in Rome, do as Romans" I think this isn't well understood but if visitors see a lot of other people parking, despite the signage precautions, theres a inate want to do the same.

Theres a waterfall near Hamilton I'll use as example. They've attempted endless attempts to remediate and prevent people from going to it off trail. signs, rails, ropes, and expenditure. People still find a way and want to circumvent and often at their own risk. People almost universally don't properly heed precautions. Lets just ding humanity with 250 buck tickets, 250 buck impounding etc because of human instinct..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Yeah those "8 days days worth of Stadium events/year" must really be a major inconvenience... lol. I get it, but that's what you get for living near a 56,000 seat stadium - deal with it or move away. Hence why I live in the glorious town of Beaumont where NOTHING ever happens.....

But only in Canada do we build Sports facilities with no adjacent parking similar to the 99% of comparable US facilities. I love the fact that you just come exit off of the 110 and BOOM you're parking underneath at the Staples center. Or parking on any of the giant empty fields that surround Raymond James stadium in Tampa. Or paying 5 bucks to park at the garages at Marlins Park, Chase Field or Talking Stick Arena. Of course exceptions like Safeco or Century Link that have ZERO adjacent parking - so you park at your downtown hotel and bar hop through Pioneer Square on your way down. I guess the city depends on ANY small amount of parking tickets infractions it can get these days....
    I've had the same sentiments in other cities. In Buenos Aires, they were hosting a FIFA qualifier and parking restrictions were actually dropped for the convenience of the patrons. That's the real definition of welcoming; forfeiting a couple bucks to ensure convenience.
    I think this is an extremely important sentiment, as well as the sum issue you raise on parking, and ticketing, in relation to visitors in our city.

Hosting a Grey Cup is not a business as usual day. Its something that on average happens once a decade. Most jurisdictions would give pause for thought about relaxing restrictions on special occasions. This jurisdiction sees it as ample licence and profit. Another way to make money. Off of visitors misery. It seems like a poor idea to me.

I'd wonder about the numbers as well. You say a lot of cars were impounded. Hard to know if the numbers were large. I'd like the press to get ahold of this story as well. In past instances the City has towed a lot of cars. With such a plurality it makes you wonder about any confusion. Humans are weird too. As a species we are very subject to "when in Rome, do as Romans" I think this isn't well understood but if visitors see a lot of other people parking, despite the signage precautions, theres a inate want to do the same.

Theres a waterfall near Hamilton I'll use as example. They've attempted endless attempts to remediate and prevent people from going to it off trail. signs, rails, ropes, and expenditure. People still find a way and want to circumvent and often at their own risk. People almost universally don't properly heed precautions. Lets just ding humanity with 250 buck tickets, 250 buck impounding etc because of human instinct..
    I doubt you'd find much support in the community for relaxing the rules. Understand that it's not even so much the parking but the bad behavior of people driving dangerously through residential neighborhoods at high speeds looking for places to park that they're also trying to avoid. The city has in the past taken a lackadaisical attitude towards enforcement which has resulted in significant disruption, illegal parking and unsafe driving on neighborhood streets. The city has stepped up enforcement because of the complaints. In this day & age it should not be too hard to find out about the parking restrictions and certainly the signage is adequate. We've sold our properties in the area and no longer spend much time over there but when we did live in the area it was always fun to have stadium events and a lot of neighbors really enjoyed them. But a certain amount of respect is required from those visiting the area. In all fairness the CFL fans were never too bad. Before hockey moved downtown it was the hockey fans who were by far the most disrespectful jerks who'd come to the area. But that's just the fact that NHL hockey seems to bring out the douchebag in people to a much higher degree it seems

^Theres problems as well with having such rigid rules though in areas. I'm a longstanding crisis counsellor. I work with families referred, in home. The ban is a huge difficulty for myself and all other emergency providers except fire, ambulance, police, who are allowed to park anywhere. We are not demarked, do not have identified vehicles, and due to confidentiality are not allowed to identify or produce our identification to extraneous parties. On a few occasions I had to watch somebody write out these tickets while I was intervening in a home because I could not divulge my reason for being parked there or interrupt our crisis intervention response. Instead we invoice the tickets to employer through the org. Its an expense the community orgs do not get recouped. Its also a considerable expense for any agency. To be clear we HAVE to be in these locations and get called out and have to be there within an hour in crisis situations. Its extremely emergent. Due to the risk of the job you have to park as close to the home as possible.

Mandated 2hr parking zones are also problematic as you can't predict the timeframe of any crisis responded to. Agencies as well will not want to reimburse if there is any question or possibility that you could have avoided the tickets. For this reason on a service provider level there is even reticence to perform community work in parking restrictive locations.

As you can imagine the area around Commonwealth is a hot bed of our work. A lot of referrals historically in that whole area. There are no easy answers, but this is one indication of how counter productive such rigid parking enforcement can be in communities.

People don't reflect on the drawbacks. I can mention physiotherapists, Nurses, health care workers, etc can also be impacted somewhat and that restrictive parking covenants REDUCE services available to the home, and the efficiency of those services.
    Last edited by Replacement; 26-11-2018 at 02:00 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Yes, it's about folks being able to park at home. It's the same at all the neighbourhoods abutting the U of A.

Hey, I live DT - the parking Nazis (don't take that personally) enforce rush hour bans staring at 3:31.

If you're willing to get a ticket, you have to know being towed is a real threat.

Does your ticket not get you free transit? Used to.
    ... gobsmacked

Judging by the amount of riders seemed everyone took LRT or buses yesterday. Was free with your ticket as per usual.

Unless you've had ultra premium season tickets for 30 years you're not going to get a parking stall and it's not worth driving.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Yes, it's about folks being able to park at home. It's the same at all the neighbourhoods abutting the U of A.

Hey, I live DT - the parking Nazis (don't take that personally) enforce rush hour bans staring at 3:31.

If you're willing to get a ticket, you have to know being towed is a real threat.

Does your ticket not get you free transit? Used to.
    ETS was as usual free to the game through shuttle or LRT, they say you need proof of game ticket but don't ask for it. Edmontonians know of this but its not extremely well publicized and visitors would not necessarily know. I know there was advisories in the papers, online, I think even on the Grey Cup app, not everybody pays attention. When you attend something like the Grey Cup it can be exciting, information overload. Its so easy to get distracted and overlook alerts, signage, information. Or even connect all the dots.

Had a six pack of Stamp fans staying at an illegal (under our bylaws) AirBnB .... suggested if the LRT was backed up, try the #5 bus.

They asked about lunch - good to see the YYCers spending cash here!
    ... gobsmacked

Yes, and we should be trying to get them here more. Most Calgarians hate Edmonton. We should start a friendly ad campaign. Stop the hate, all of us.

... or just stop the gross generalizations about "hate" ...
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

As you can imagine the area around Commonwealth is a hot bed of our work. A lot of referrals historically in that whole area. There are no easy answers, but this is one indication of how counter productive such rigid parking enforcement can be in communities.

People don't reflect on the drawbacks. I can mention physiotherapists, Nurses, health care workers, etc can also be impacted somewhat and that restrictive parking covenants REDUCE services available to the home, and the efficiency of those services.
    Thankfully thus far I've never had to call on your services.

Seriously, let's get real. In 2018, there were 12 major stadium events (10 Eskimo games, a rugby game, and the Grey Cup) where on-street parking was restricted for four hours each. 48 hours out of a total of 8,760 hours in the entire year, or about one-half of one per cent of the hours in a year.

Moreover, most residences (including apartments) in the area have off-street parking stalls. I would have asked you to park in my driveway in the unlikely event I would require your services in the future during a major stadium event.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Yes, and we should be trying to get them here more. Most Calgarians hate Edmonton. We should start a friendly ad campaign. Stop the hate, all of us.
    I don't hate Calgary, any rivalry I have with them, is a joke. I have family living there, and Calgary is really hurting..

So it seems the consensus is that everybody loved the festival and enjoyed the game except Replacement.

He's like "Mikey". Mikey hates everything.

I will agree that the field conditions were inexcusable on what was pretty close to a perfect day for football in late November. It wasn't so much a weather problem as a design issue with the turf itself. We shouldn't be hosting any late seasonal games at all until this is addressed.

It didn't give either team an advantage.

If FIFA requires a field that is unsuitable for the sporting event that's been central to the stadium(s) forever, then screw the FIFA field.

Lots of people drinking, but the game itself wasn't the idiotic drunkfest I've seen at other Grey Cup games (and sometimes during the season). Only one drunk jerk had to be escorted out by police.

Unfortunately he forced 3 fans to leave prior to the police arriving with his BS and abuse. Just a big loudmouth jerk. I hope he went to jail, for the way he treated other fans, and the ushers who tried to get him to leave.

Lots of rowdy fans, some truly annoying, but this was different. The guy was huge (6'4" 250 ?), and the sight of him screaming right in the face of a nice usher girl was disgusting, even from 25 rows up. I think we were all worried he was going to attack her.

Other than that (and the triple the normal amount of people leaving their seats to pee and get beer) it was a great crowd. Nobody in our vicinity was drunk or drinking. Lots of cheering. Lots of Stamps fans.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

^This is how the field turf problem was described in today's Journal article:
    A football turf has blades of artificial grass that are straight up and a soccer pitch, like the one at Commonwealth put in for the 2015 women’s FIFA World Cup, has the grass bent like a crooked finger, and moisture gathers under that, then freezes over. Plus, the stuff painted on the field (Grey Cup logo, ads) is in latex, and slippery.
    Wouldn't a heated tarp have dried out the moisture that led to ice formation under the bent grass?

Plus, stop painting stuff on the field in latex. Doing so added to the injury risk for players. Slips and falls are no laughing matter whether you're a senior or a high performance athlete (horse or human).

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    So it seems the consensus is that everybody loved the festival and enjoyed the game except Replacement.

He's like "Mikey". Mikey hates everything.

I will agree that the field conditions were inexcusable on what was pretty close to a perfect day for football in late November. It wasn't so much a weather problem as a design issue with the turf itself. We shouldn't be hosting any late seasonal games at all until this is addressed.

It didn't give either team an advantage.

If FIFA requires a field that is unsuitable for the sporting event that's been central to the stadium(s) forever, then screw the FIFA field.

Lots of people drinking, but the game itself wasn't the idiotic drunkfest I've seen at other Grey Cup games (and sometimes during the season). Only one drunk jerk had to be escorted out by police.

Unfortunately he forced 3 fans to leave prior to the police arriving with his BS and abuse. Just a big loudmouth jerk. I hope he went to jail, for the way he treated other fans, and the ushers who tried to get him to leave.

Lots of rowdy fans, some truly annoying, but this was different. The guy was huge (6'4" 250 ?), and the sight of him screaming right in the face of a nice usher girl was disgusting, even from 25 rows up. I think we were all worried he was going to attack her.

Other than that (and the triple the normal amount of people leaving their seats to pee and get beer) it was a great crowd. Nobody in our vicinity was drunk or drinking. Lots of cheering. Lots of Stamps fans.
    In fairness I liked the kid geared aspect of the Festival and the parade looked good as I said in the above post. I'm not equipped, as an Esks fan, to so easily excuse the org of its transgressions that led to the point of being last place in the west, missing the playoffs in a Grey Cup hosting year, and not putting a competitive lineup on the field. Too much mileage and tbh given we were **** I was cheering for BC and Sask to make noise (Due to Hervey and Jones) and to rub it in the noses of Rhodes.

Like I said if you're not really passionate about the Esks, and you're a fan of Stamps anyway I could see how you would enjoy the game a lot more.

Maybe I feel differently in time but I pretty much detest the esks org now.

Seriously, let's get real. In 2018, there were 12 major stadium events (10 Eskimo games, a rugby game, and the Grey Cup) where on-street parking was restricted for four hours each. 48 hours out of a total of 8,760 hours in the entire year, or about one-half of one per cent of the hours in a year.

Moreover, most residences (including apartments) in the area have off-street parking stalls. I would have asked you to park in my driveway in the unlikely event I would require your services in the future during a major stadium event.
    For clarity its not always just that number of event days in a year. Sometimes theres multiple concerts in a year, a FIFA tournament or some other event. I've done the crisis role for a long time. It may not seen like a lot of event days at Commonwealth but when you realize familial and abuse related issues are worst on weekends due to ramped up substance usage, and most events are on Weekends, theres more intersection of events and crisis need then one may realize. Go to any emergency ward on a Friday or Saturday night for instance.

Good luck finding spots anywhere in Apartment stalls, even designate visitor parking stalls. Its been my experience, everywhere in the city, that residents just make use of those to often store an extra vehicle. Sometimes so obvious the vehicle isn't even being operated. (for instance winter when you see the vehicle just occupying a visitor use spot most of the winter, not even bothering to clear snow off it to make it less obvious.."

A lot of driveways in Commonwealth area are behind back garages. In some of the area these are spots to avoid. Particularly for male drivers like myself who are accused of being a John driving down a back alley. Or Solicited. its not easy to circumvent these things, just letting you know. Plus security wise, and for our safety street front parking is recommended. Front doors are closer to street if we have to dash, more lit, safer, and no navigating of fences or other obstructions to get out.

C2E Continued Contributor

For clarity its not always just that number of event days in a year. Sometimes theres multiple concerts in a year, a FIFA tournament or some other event. I've done the crisis role for a long time. It may not seen like a lot of event days at Commonwealth but when you realize familial and abuse related issues are worst on weekends due to ramped up substance usage, and most events are on Weekends, theres more intersection of events and crisis need then one may realize. Go to any emergency ward on a Friday or Saturday night for instance.

Good luck finding spots anywhere in Apartment stalls, even designate visitor parking stalls. Its been my experience, everywhere in the city, that residents just make use of those to often store an extra vehicle. Sometimes so obvious the vehicle isn't even being operated. (for instance winter when you see the vehicle just occupying a visitor use spot most of the winter, not even bothering to clear snow off it to make it less obvious.."

A lot of driveways in Commonwealth area are behind back garages. In some of the area these are spots to avoid. Particularly for male drivers like myself who are accused of being a John driving down a back alley. Or Solicited. its not easy to circumvent these things, just letting you know. Plus security wise, and for our safety street front parking is recommended. Front doors are closer to street if we have to dash, more lit, safer, and no navigating of fences or other obstructions to get out.
    Off topic, but reading your messages I’ve gotta say good on you for what and your fellow employees do. That job would require a great degree of spiritual fortitude. It’s an essential service in our society the same as any emergency service if you ask me.

I’m hearing that Phillip Lolley, formerly of Hamilton, is odds-on favourite to be our new defensive coordinator. He could also sign in Hamilton but the Esks are talking to him. He’s set financially due to having a great pension from his days in the States so for him it’s now about coaching for fun and not so much the money.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That's be great if we could get him
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Lolley has been around enough to know the CFL now and he's also somewhat familiar with Edmonton too, having coached here with Chris Jones' crew.

Paul Jones is leaving the Esks for the Riders. ****, huge huge loss.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Not impossible but this guy is going to be hard to replace especially after 20 years here.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
    Paul Jones is leaving the Esks for the Riders. ****, huge huge loss.
    Be interesting to know why he is leaving. It may well be another reason to fire Rhodes.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

Norm Kimball would have never let the Eskimos get this bad.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

It's sad to see an organization like the Eskimos go from what they were to what they are now.

Len Rhodes is a disgrace. He's made this franchise a laughing stock.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Norm Kimball would have never let the Eskimos get this bad.
    This is a joke post right? The Eskimos were horrible throughout the 60's. The worst team in the league for that decade. The light didn't start shining again until Ray Jauch came here as coach and then Hugh Campbell. Kimball was perfectly content being a Harold Ballard owner and counting gate receipts and seeing how lousy a club he could put on a field and still get away with it. For several years during the 60's the Esks didn't have one competent starting QB.
    Last edited by Replacement; 28-12-2018 at 01:16 PM.

C2E SME

I was thinking bout the ‘70s.

I thought so. But anybody around before that knows how awful the same Kimball run club was. he ground it into the dirt and being that he inherited the team in 1961 (That had been to the Grey Cup several times and won 3 of them in the decade before) it was not his imprint that had much to do with the org success. More like I said visionary people like Ray Jauch and Hugh Campbell that cared about turning the club around on the field that mattered.

^ But it was Kimball who hired Hugh Campbell. The rest, as the saying goes, is history.

With the current Esks team, who hired the GM Brock Sunderland? Which in turn, hired the bird brain Jason Maas.

Ed Hervey hired Jason Maas after Chris Jones bolted for the Riders - this was just after the Esks won the Grey Cup in 2015.
    About a year later, Hervey was fired by Len Rhodes and replaced by Brock Sunderland.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    ^ But it was Kimball who hired Hugh Campbell. The rest, as the saying goes, is history.

With the current Esks team, who hired the GM Brock Sunderland? Which in turn, hired the bird brain Jason Maas.
    I don't put much more to it than everybody can get lucky sometime. There was a decade of spinning wheels before anything Kimball was running found traction. All I meant to say is that it would be misleading thinking Kimball was the catalyst or agent in change. I don't think he was the key variable. Soon as Jauch and Campbell came here they took an active interest in more than just the football field but overseeing player operations.

I’m a 35-year season ticket holder and fan for over 50 years who, right now, is not intending to renew. I’ll see how this cluster**** turns out before deciding.

Edit: autocorrect turned “years” into “tears,” which may not be far off the number.

I’m a 35-year season ticket holder and fan for over 50 years who, right now, is not intending to renew. I’ll see how this cluster**** turns out before deciding.

Edit: autocorrect turned “years” into “tears,” which may not be far off the number.
    Pretty amazing ineptitude by the org when you are considering not renewing. Anybody left at Commonwealth can turn on and off the lights. Everything I'm hearing on the street as far as interest in the product is just dying. its really sad. I started following this club in late 60's as a kid. Saw them become great, all that. Hard to witness the last several phases of this org. Other than Reilly and some company these have been some bleak years that came after a lot of bleak years.

I thought so. But anybody around before that knows how awful the same Kimball run club was. he ground it into the dirt and being that he inherited the team in 1961 (That had been to the Grey Cup several times and won 3 of them in the decade before) it was not his imprint that had much to do with the org success. More like I said visionary people like Ray Jauch and Hugh Campbell that cared about turning the club around on the field that mattered.
    Somebody that is the "coordinator o minor football" is in charge of a football team? That is what Norm Kimball was for the Edmonton Eskimos in 1961. In the three seasons (62,63,64) before the year that Norm Kimball was named General Manager (1965) the Eskimos had won a total of 12 games. His first coach was Neil Armstrong who's run lasted from 64-69. So he inherited a coach, the team made the playoffs in three of his first four years and after finishing out of the playoffs in 1969 he replaced the coach with Ray Jauch. Ray Jauch won Coach of the Year in his first year and win his second year the Esks started the year with a 1-10 record. Yet Kimball did not fire him during that horrid start.

When the Eskimos seemed to be slumping under Jauch, Kimball brought in Hugh Campbell from Whitworth College (student population 15 hundred) to be the Head Coach.

Hugh Campbell begs to differ with your opinion of Norm Kimball:

“Norm Kimball is the single central figure right in the middle of the foundation of the Eskimo Football Club. His attention to detail and quality in every aspect of the football club is legendary. Norm insisted that the organization presented itself in a first class manner in every way possible. We all learned from the example he set and the accountability he demanded. All Eskimo players and fans owe Norm a ” Thank You ” for what the team represents to our city and country. On a personal note, Norm Kimball was my mentor and without his vision, expectations and friendship my career and experience would have been completely different...”
    source.

MoneyGuy has it right with both Lolley and Jones

Eskimos Announce Football Operations Reorganization

The Edmonton Eskimos announce today their coaching and football operations staff for the 2019 season.

Head Coach Jason Maas will be joined by:

The 2019 Edmonton Eskimos Football Operations staff is:

David Turner – Director of Player Personnel
    Will Homer – Assistant Director of Player Personnel
    Bobby Merritt – Director of Scouting
    Kris Hagerman – Director of Football Operations
    Nick Pelletier – Assistant Director of Football Operations/Player Personnel Assistant
    Griffin Dear – Head Video Coordinator
    The Eskimos also announce that long-time employees, Executive Director of Player Personnel Paul Jones and Director of Canadian Scouting Rob Ralph are no longer members of the organization. The club would like to thank Paul and Rob for their combined 40+ seasons with the Green and Gold and their contributions to three Grey Cup championships (2003, 2005, 2015).

Additionally, Scout Chris Milo is no longer a member of the organization.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 03-01-2019 at 06:33 PM.

I'm liking how the coaching staff is shaping up. Lolley, to me, is a more aggressive D-coordinator than Benevides was.

Duke has signed with the Buffalo Bills. I'd say he has a good chance to make that team. They are horrible and he would be a welcome addition just due to his size alone.

Good luck to him!

Good riddance to Chris Jones who is NFL bound. Have to think this takes the Riders out of the running for Reilly. Double win.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

No wonder why the boss was so moody today

Wheels continue to fall off! JC Sherritt just retired.

Oh not Sherritt, I love him… maybe he could coach here???????

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

He said he might be looking for a coaching position of some kind. Maybe the Riders could use him.

Or CJ calls him to the Browns

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Or to anyone of the new 3 leagues opening in the US.

After seeing the horribly blown calls in the NFL playoff games last weekend, I will never criticize CFL refs again. Refs always make questionable calls from time to time, but that non-call on pass interference in the Saints/Rams game looked like the refs were bought off by the mafia or something. Wow.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    After seeing the horribly blown calls in the NFL playoff games last weekend, I will never criticize CFL refs again. Refs always make questionable calls from time to time, but that non-call on pass interference in the Saints/Rams game looked like the refs were bought off by the mafia or something. Wow.
    It was only that one call...yeah it was bad...but so what. Oh the like the Montreal CFL based referee HQ? Wanna talk about a mafia, our zebras take the cake....or how about the fact that in the CFL there is a penalty on EVERY SINGLE play....drives me nuts....

And not just the officiating.
    Next time I hear about the '13th man' in the Riders Grey Cup loss to Montreal a few years back blah, blah, blah I'll remind them about KC's Dee Ford. How do you line up offside in the biggest game of the year? Which on the play KC picked the ball off and were virtually assured a win. When I played you could look at the line judge for confirmation AND where was his linemate to say "Dude, back up." Braineffingdead.
    I guess the 'Gods of all things football' that play in the NFL do eff up.....
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Look for pass interference to be a reviewable call in the NFL next season and likely they adjust their pathetic OT rules to be more like NCAA and CFL.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Glad it is not just me that thinks winning the coin toss should be an automatic chance to win the game. Their over time rules are truly pathetic. The officiating was as well.

Three Esks made this list. Several Stamps, unfortunately.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/01/26/tomorr...ed-break-2019/

Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Considering the quagmire of mediocrity that this team has been over the last 2.5 years, and the overall leadership situation, I can't say that I blame him.

That's now 2 Star-Caliber quarterbacks - Ray and Reilly - that have gone out the door for nothing during the Rhodes era.

The Eskimos are well on their way to Oiler-dom once again.

If Reilly goes back to BC, that's likely thanks to Ed Hervey.
    If Reilly goes back to BC and no QB to take his place, time to show Len Rhodes the door.

Reilly also wants to be closer to his wife & family, as she has a business in Seattle. So this isn't ALL about what the Eskimos did or didn't do too. He has two little kids as well too so being closer to home makes sense at this point of his career.

It will be so hard to see him play for BC, I'll doubt I'll watch...

C2E Posting Power

Shouldn't be watching the CFL regardless of where Reilly plays. Btw, it'll be good to get some non-geezer QB blood in the lineup anyway. He's had his day, time to hang up the cleats old man....or struggle to put together a mediocre season or 2 at BC. Who is our back up anyway? There's always the possibility of getting an NFL cast out or a really solid "A" grade player from a "C" grade school from the states. Didn't Mitchell go to some **** hole of a school in Wyoming?

Let's see how this plays out over the next month. But the total waste of talent under Socks Blunderland is astonishing.

The only thing to consider - and I didn't know this till this morning - is that at 34 years old, Reilly might be a risk to sign to a long-term deal.
    ... gobsmacked

Shouldn't be watching the CFL regardless of where Reilly plays.
    And we should continue reading your post after this part why....?

Yes, huzzah! Now, as for the General (mis)Manager ???

More Rhodes on Global too: https://globalnews.ca/news/4948078/e...os-len-rhodes/
    ... gobsmacked

Thank the Lord that Len Rhodes is finally leaving the Esks. He's an OK guy but is rather incompetent when dealing with football operations.

C2E SME

I wonder how much longer before Sutherland goes?

If Reilly goes, so does Blunderland.

Between Delta and Alaska, Esks (reading this Rhodes to perdition?) could get Reilly home to Seattle 4, 5 times a day.

Hey, but maybe Blunderland has an amazing answer ....

(Shades of Eric Tillman anyone?)
    ... gobsmacked

If Reilly goes, so does Blunderland.

Between Delta and Alaska, Esks (reading this Rhodes to perdition?) could get Reilly home to Seattle 4, 5 times a day.

Hey, but maybe Blunderland has an amazing answer ....

(Shades of Eric Tillman anyone?)
    Reilly leaving is on Rhodes cause he punted Hervey.

Credit Sunderland for having a backup plan as it sounds like he's bring in Harris and Ellingson from Ottawa.

Ouch:

"I am grateful for my time in Edmonton and it will always hold a very special place in my heart, but the opportunity to rejoin (GM) Ed (Hervey) and return to Vancouver to be part of what he is building was too good to pass up at this point in my career."

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/cfl-free-agency-1.5016079

Blunderland better have a plan B, because what I get from the quote above is that Reilly wanted to be back with a GM he can have faith in.
    ... gobsmacked

Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

I wish our QB MR well, he's one of the really good guys. I heard we got a QB from Ottawa, maybe we need a change?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Its good for Reilly, puts him closer to his family. Eskimo's have got some work to do during the off season, what with Rhodes gone, Reilly. Trevor Harris might be a good short term solution

Bunch of really good signings today by the Eskimos. The CFL needs to be concerned about the exodus of big name players from the east. I have not heard of one big name signing east of Regina.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Bunch of really good signings today by the Eskimos. The CFL needs to be concerned about the exodus of big name players from the east. I have not heard of one big name signing east of Regina.
    BLM is expected to sign down east. That's one. I agree that the Eskimos did well today, somebody started another thread and I posted in there. Sunderland did well in free agency today. Losing Reilly hurts but overall, with additions today the club is improved.

I’ve been seriously considering not renewing my tickets but I’m reconsidering. It’s been a good day. The team is better than what we had last season, I think. Love all the new guys. It’ll be a vastly different squad.

I’ve been seriously considering not renewing my tickets but I’m reconsidering. It’s been a good day. The team is better than what we had last season, I think. Love all the new guys. It’ll be a vastly different squad.
    Change was needed and this team seems on paper a lot better. More well balanced anyway. I'm a lot more optimistic than last year at this time where I just gave up on the club.

Gotta wonder how much of the reinvigoration is the org getting the fan discontent, letting Rhodes walk, and figuring that winning is important.

In anycase its easier following this org again. Last season was lost before it began imo.

I'll be buying tickets again to games. Not STH, but games I can make it to.

Quote Originally Posted by 1976len View Post

Credit Sunderland for having a backup plan as it sounds like he's bring in Harris and Ellingson from Ottawa.
    I'll eat my shirt - some great signings, yes. Credit well deserved.

On the side, must have been a whole lot of negotiating going on prior to actual free agency!
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by 1976len View Post

I'll eat my shirt - some great signings, yes. Credit well deserved.

On the side, must have been a whole lot of negotiating going on prior to actual free agency!
    Right!? How does a GM make 9 signings in one day if he's not allowed to talk to them until 10am this morning?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Now if only the Oilers can do something on the 25th

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Now if only the Oilers can do something on the 25th
    The Oilers are in the position of being sellers, not buyers, due to their position of not realistically being in the running for a playoff spot.

There would be no reason at this point to bolster a roster that needed help months ago. Its too late now, and any asset would require some cost, usually in picks, and would serve no purpose, and is quite often a rental player, an acquisition which would be crazy because we're not making the postseason.

unfortunately you grin and bear it and realize its another season wasted. Thanks Chiarelli..

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Pardon me for derailing the topic.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567