Thread: FC Edmonton Reborn, to Play in CanPL in 2019

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Default FC Edmonton Reborn, to Play in CanPL in 2019

FC Edmonton is set to be reborn this Friday at a street party at the Farmers Market on Whyte. They will play in the new Canadian Premier league starting in 2019 against teams from Calgary, Winnipeg, Halifax, York, and Hamiliton. More info in the links below! Exciting times for Edmonton and Canadian soccer!

https://youtu.be/2FEteyDdVSc

http://canpl.ca/

https://the11.ca/fc-edmonton-to-host...-of-the-canpl/

unnamed by Kevin Clark, on Flickr[/IMG]

C2E Long Term Contributor

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Long Term Contributor

Edmonton joins new national soccer league. But will the sport succeed in the city?
    Joining all-Canadian league could cut costs and generate local talent

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nton-1.4699407
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

As a nearby resident, keeping my fingers crossed that the City will agree to make Clarke Stadium soccer specific.

The field configuration especially accommodating the gigantic end zones used in Canadian football make it impossible to create a venue suitable for both sports.

I wish the articles didn't focus on "lack of fans" or "will soccer succeed". Also wish Fath had not feeded those types of comments with his citing lack of fans as a reason to disband the team in the past.

To me a factor has been that Clarke is a deplorable facility. The pitch is not sunk like Foote field so that on any windy spring day (almost all of them) its literally impossible to keep the ball on the pitch. I attended one game that was just a complete joke. The ball went out easily 100 times in the game, the wind was strong, near freezing, some rain. With NO protection from elements of any kind afforded at the facility. Any time the ball was elevated the 60k wind was sailing it right off the pitch. I think they lost several balls on the day. Neighborhood kids probably got some freebies in the area.

Quite simply Clarke isn't an attractive facility to entice families. It has very little going for it and very little in terms of infrastructure, sitelines, conessions, washrooms etc. About the only good thing about the facility was the parking wasn't overloaded and was convenient. But having to leave the game to warm up and get dry in the vehicle is ridiculous. We just ended up driving home.

2/3 of the games attended at Clarke were awful weather conditions and again with no protection from the elements. I would say the often 4k, and occasional 5K sellout they were getting was pretty good considering the facility, standard of play, and having no geographical rivalries to speak of. I think continuity was also a bit of a problem. Fans identify with players. you need more players that are retained in the stable for longer periods of time so that there is name and player recognition.

Finally, even though Fath has been an excellent proponent of soccer in Edmonton and has dug really deep and deserves so much credit, the org FC Edmonton, is not well run, and do not provide good information. For years there was confusion about whether games were sold out and whether if people showup up if there would be tickets available. Lots of misinformation that games were sold out and even a funky non cooperative ticketing system was often enough erroneously indicating the game was sold out. (maybe I didn't know how to use their ticketing system properly but "no results" was common even in games where lots of tickets were said to be available.

Anyway good that the team is back but work out some of the bugs. Also stop citing low attendance as people get put off with that.
    Last edited by Replacement; 09-06-2018 at 08:43 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Football...soccer...whichever you wish to call it... has a huge following in Edmonton, and a huge minor league structure almost as big (or is it as big now) as minor hockey. A lack of people with kids wanting to see a bigger league game (aka fans) is not the issue. I agree, the facility is.
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

^^^If Clarke Stadium were to be soccer specific, seating could be added behind the touch lines on the north and south ends. Not only would this give the stadium a more intimate feel, it would help cut down on wind blowing down the pitch.

The best soccer stadiums are those where there is seating is located on all four sides only a few meters from the touch lines. The east and west side seating in Clarke is already does this, but the need to accommodate the football end zones currently precludes this on the north and south sides.

Why should Clarke be given over to a sports league that has a history of barely filling the seats it has available and then folding? How many "pro" soccer teams has Edmonton had over the last couple decades that never lasted more than a couple years? How many times should Edmonton believe that this time all the people who say they are fans will actually show up?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

I still haven't heard a coherent argument about why Foote Field, and some of the other football specific fields in town can't handle the PFC and high school conference football games if Clarke becomes soccer specific.

If built, couldn't UofA, Grant Mac, NAIT etc use a soccer specific facility at Clarke? I'm just not getting the opposition to this plan. Unless there is pressure from the Eskimo's?

^Fath doesn't get it and I don't either. Several Football facilities for Highschool ball exist in Edmonton and several at the respective high schools as home fields. plus Foote which hosts U of A football games and countless high school games.

Why does high school football require Clarke stadium and why should the Huskies and Wild Cats have automatic proprietary line markings and field dimensions for it.

In the same thread where FC Edmonton attendance is being questioned in citations the Huskys and Wildcats typical attendance numbers are 600-900, lmao. They could accommodate that attendance at ANY of the Highschool flelds that have bleachers in Edmonton.

What this all smacks of is the Esks simply wanting junior teams here to be playing next door and supporting that vs another popular sport and with the COE oddly heeding that.

The same Eskimos that made baseball go away don't seem to have much love for Soccer either.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

FC Edmonton "fans" made FC go away by not actually showing up enough to make FC Edmonton viable.

FC Edmonton went away because the league they were playing was and is a farce. FCEd got out early and saved themselves a lot of hassle when the league eventually was dropped a division by the USSF.

If anything the fans are the ones that really caused the Faths to reconsider and join the CPL. The fans hosted dozens of get together on their own initiative to raise awareness that the demand for pro football was real in Edmonton. Eventually the club joined with them and they worked together selling deposits on memberships for the 20019 CPL season.

As for Clarke, Tom has not been advocating for a soccer specific stadium this time around. He came to the table with a shared use facility but with the need to have priority over the amateur sports, because they are professional and that's really a no brainer. Unfortunately the Canadian Football crowd is scared of change and the fact that their sport is declining in popularity while association football is growing in leaps and bounds, and jumped all over FCEd citing incorrect facts while in my opinion disproving any case they had for the status quo.

I don't know much about the soccer scene* but I have seen several attempts fail over the last 4 decades despite fans' alleged support to "make it work this time." Blaming the Eskimos, when fans have never really showed up to support the team enough to keep them viable, is easy but wrong.

* One of those failed attempts involved Joe Petrone, my high school PhysEd/Sociology teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    FC Edmonton "fans" made FC go away by not actually showing up enough to make FC Edmonton viable.
    So why do the Huskies and Wildcats exist after all these years? Most of the people that go see those teams are either related, affiliated with the clubs. Hardly anybody supports those franchises which for some reason hold seemingly eternal court at Clarke Stadium. FC Edmonton exceeded some of those clubs attendance figures by a multiple of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by realkevbo View Post
    FC Edmonton went away because the league they were playing was and is a farce. FCEd got out early and saved themselves a lot of hassle when the league eventually was dropped a division by the USSF.

If anything the fans are the ones that really caused the Faths to reconsider and join the CPL. The fans hosted dozens of get together on their own initiative to raise awareness that the demand for pro football was real in Edmonton. Eventually the club joined with them and they worked together selling deposits on memberships for the 20019 CPL season.

As for Clarke, Tom has not been advocating for a soccer specific stadium this time around. He came to the table with a shared use facility but with the need to have priority over the amateur sports, because they are professional and that's really a no brainer. Unfortunately the Canadian Football crowd is scared of change and the fact that their sport is declining in popularity while association football is growing in leaps and bounds, and jumped all over FCEd citing incorrect facts while in my opinion disproving any case they had for the status quo.

Thanks to people like yourself that have kept this going. I think the Canadian initiative is more enticing and one I would be again more likely to support. The NASL, and Clarke Stadium, had lost me as a fan. I do want to see some changes at Clarke. Any reason they couldn't just go back to Foote Field? Is that even a potential?

If Halifax can build a soccer specific stadium, why can't Edmonton?

Halifax approves downtown pop-up soccer stadium in bid for new team

The team’s home field would be at the Wanderers Grounds, a four-hectare natural turf sports field on the Halifax Commons.

The Halifax Football Club, a possible name for the team, would have a 7,000 seat stadium and host 10 regular season games during the league’s first season in 2018.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/socce...-new-team.html
    And more on pop-up stadiums. Edmonton is already halfway there.

Understanding Modular Stadiums: The Future of North American Soccer

He points out that, “A truly modular stadium can be installed and removed quickly and expanded on or modified on the fly. A modular stadium should be designed to grow with a team and its fan base as needs grow.”

Think of a modular stadium as a large-scale, 21st century version of your favorite Legos set; they are parts that fit together to create a whole. The beauty of this concept is that stadiums can be assembled and disassembled in multiple places for multiple reasons.

When they have worn out their welcome, they move on to another city where they are reassembled for similar purposes. The same metal pieces can be used over and over in projects all around the world — simply put them together in the desired shape, use the stadium for as long as you need it, then take it all down and ship it somewhere else.

Empire Field was the first of its kind in North America. It was constructed so the Whitecaps and BC Lions (CFL) would have a home while BC Place was undergoing renovations. Nussli, a European company with great experience in such things, started construction of Empire Field in March 2010.

http://midfieldpress.com/2017/08/14/...vision-soccer/

What about sharing with the baseball fill. Is there viable space on the east side of stadium for new additions. It'll bring people to the area.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Have half the pitch taken up by the infield?

There's a reason that more cities are moving away from multi-use stadiums. Sure, you can do it but they always end up compromised in one way or the other. The end zones at Commonwealth for example. Or the fact that the Blue jays moved the Argos out to BMO field which was modified to allow both football and soccer. For example, the end zone seating is capable of moving closer to the field the Toronto FC is playing and then moves back when the Argos play. Also, removable paint is used for field markings, ensuring that there's only the appropriate markings in place for each game.

While the BMO example shows that it's possible to have football and soccer share the same venue, in order to make it work best for each sport, additional costs are required. The alternative is to do it half-assed like what was done with Clarke in the past.

A soccer specific stadium could be used by the universities and other minor leagues while Foote Field could act as the home field for football.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    ^Fath doesn't get it and I don't either. Several Football facilities for Highschool ball exist in Edmonton and several at the respective high schools as home fields. plus Foote which hosts U of A football games and countless high school games.

Why does high school football require Clarke stadium and why should the Huskies and Wild Cats have automatic proprietary line markings and field dimensions for it.

In the same thread where FC Edmonton attendance is being questioned in citations the Huskys and Wildcats typical attendance numbers are 600-900, lmao. They could accommodate that attendance at ANY of the Highschool flelds that have bleachers in Edmonton.

What this all smacks of is the Esks simply wanting junior teams here to be playing next door and supporting that vs another popular sport and with the COE oddly heeding that.

The same Eskimos that made baseball go away don't seem to have much love for Soccer either.
    The Eskimos did not make baseball go away. Take a look at a map! The PCL made baseball go away.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post

The Eskimos did not make baseball go away. Take a look at a map! The PCL made baseball go away.
    Exactly!

The PCL wanted us gone. Pressure to sell the team was coming on the Esks. They did what they had to do. I don’t blame them at all. The costs to fly players out of Edmonton was a major factor as well.

Thanks to people like yourself that have kept this going. I think the Canadian initiative is more enticing and one I would be again more likely to support. The NASL, and Clarke Stadium, had lost me as a fan. I do want to see some changes at Clarke. Any reason they couldn't just go back to Foote Field? Is that even a potential?
    Thanks Replacement, I can't take much, if any, credit for keeping this going as I live in Vancouver but I can pass along the message to my good friends that started the initiative.

To be honest I don't recall ever hearing them mention the possibility of going back to Foote, I really don't think it's on their radar, i believe that Clarke is their preferred option, and with Macewan and Concordia having voiced their support and wanting to host their soccer teams from there I don't see Foote as an option.

As for sharing with the Prospects, all you have to do is look at New York City FC playing out of Yankee Stadium to see how awful that is.

Got my season tickets yesterday. Can't wait! Apparently sales are very brisk so far, although they only started yesterday
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

C2E Continued Contributor

got my seasons too. and we just drafted 3 U of A guys that were our own academy products! club will be solid

new stadium layout is looking gooooooood. beer garden behind supporters' i'm told...

^While the layout above would be much improved for viewing soccer, it would preclude the stadium's use by minor football. Has the City approved Clarke Stadium's conversion to soccer-specific, or is the above layout subject to City approval?

This is essentially how it was laid out last year, minus the (movable) stands on the north side. I don't think any approval is necessary.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    is the above layout subject to City approval?
    it is not. it is the official game day layout as the tickets are already being sold.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Don't get the H.SF. fixation with Clarke. Most games, the stands at Coronation would have empty seats, let alone Foote. Kinsmen anyone?

The East stands at Clarke (Thank you Fath brothers) outgrew H.S.F.

That said, go Scona Lords ....
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoForMayor View Post
    This is essentially how it was laid out last year, minus the (movable) stands on the north side. I don't think any approval is necessary.
    Don't get me wrong. As a nearby resident I support Clarke Stadium being soccer-specific.

But that is not how Clarke is currently laid out. Stands 108 A, B and C would be located in what is now the south end zone for minor football, and Stands 113 and 114 would be located in what is now the north end zone.

This can be confirmed by checking Google Maps at this link: https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.55710.../data=!3m1!1e3