Thread: El Mirador

Default El Mirador

It's old, but it's our home. I fully understand that there is next to zero chance to save El Mirador from demolition, so I thought we should share what it's like to live in this unique building. Every evening after work, and every weekend, many of us meet up on the deck in the courtyard for a few beers, and alot of fun. Many friendships have been made within this tightknit micro community. We are very protective of our space and watch out for each other. If you are ever walking past, and see us hanging out, please do come in, introduce yourself, and have a look around. More to come![IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

thanks for sharing!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

itís too bad we donít have an efficient mechanism/market that would allow the excess density on sites like this (and some of our remaining churches etc.) to be sold, thereby removing the incentive to redevelop in order to realize value. the proceeds could in turn help rehabilitate the existing structures and the loss of density would continue to protect them in the future.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Absolutely.

But for the to work the city would have to stop approving massive increases from zoned density just because, and let a market for transferred density rights develop.
    There can only be one.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Such an interesting building,far removed from so many condo boxes.
    Thanks for sharing..

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    it’s too bad we don’t have an efficient mechanism/market that would allow the excess density on sites like this (and some of our remaining churches etc.) to be sold, thereby removing the incentive to redevelop in order to realize value. the proceeds could in turn help rehabilitate the existing structures and the loss of density would continue to protect them in the future.
    Precisely Ken.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    Absolutely.

But for the to work the city would have to stop approving massive increases from zoned density just because, and let a market for transferred density rights develop.
    An MGA/Charter revision or two as well I believe.
    www.decl.org

Thanks for the post and +2 on Ken's post and more work and attention from groups on that front to change City policy. Many good examples to work from.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Several friends of mine lived in El Mirador back in the 90s. Logged in lots of hours visiting, watching movies, and partying, in at least two different apartments. It's probably the case that a day rarely goes by without me recollecting something that happened there.

Thanks for the pics. Sorry to hear its survivial may be in peril.

This building has always turned my eye and seemed so out of place in Edmontons bland land of apartment buildings. We need more imaginative and alive places like this, not less, always wondered about the building, thanks for sharing.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I've never lived at the Mirador but I've lived in places like it in Saskatoon and Regina. The one in Saskatoon was the earliest purpose-built apartment building in that city and had lots of tiny suites centred around a backyard. There were clotheslines in the back yard which we all used. For some reason, it was more natural to interact with fellow tenants even though there were no fitness rooms, etc., like they have now. It was the set for a "Nest of Singing Birds" if anyone has seen that. I was woken up by kleig lights shining in my window and went out to check out how they make movies (spoiler: it's a boring process). That place has been replaced with a generic condo building. As has a more interest apartment building where a bunch of my friends used to live (as in, when vacancies occurred they'd recruit more of our gang to live there).

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    This building has always turned my eye and seemed so out of place in Edmontons bland land of apartment buildings. We need more imaginative and alive places like this, not less, always wondered about the building, thanks for sharing.
    The thing is that it's less about architectural delight (though that is certainly nice) than with being able to have social spaces that interact organically with the living space and the outdoors.

I had a friend that lived there in the late 90s, early 2000s and she's still friend with others who lived in the building. Sounds like it was/is a really cool place to live.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

You are welcome everyone! It really is my pleasure to share this with the entire city!

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

So whats the backstory on why the building will be lost? Is the current owner wanting to sell to a developer with a tower plan?
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

C2E SME

The building has been owned by a developer for years, and unfortunately it's not long for this world.

I recall quite a few fun nights back in university days in there with a variety of friends hosting parties and dinners.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    So whats the backstory on why the building will be lost? Is the current owner wanting to sell to a developer with a tower plan?
    Twin towers - one facing Jasper Ave (but not destroying Audrey's) - the other facing Capital Blvd.

El Mirador will get torn down - but they'll keep the courtyard in some way or another.
    ... gobsmacked

El Mirador bears a certain similarity to Ansgar Lutheran Church, downtown. I wonder if that's just coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Twin towers - one facing Jasper Ave (but not destroying Audrey's) - the other facing Capital Blvd.

El Mirador will get torn down - but they'll keep the courtyard in some way or another.
    Damn. Any more links to details? Id love to read more. Hopefully they can keep the facade or something to remind us of what was
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

I'm not interested in the facade (though it's a nice one). It's the way of life that I would mourn. It's sad that people aren't going to be able to live like that anymore.