Thread: Don't pee on my potato.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Don't pee on my potato.

New Alberta farm health and safety rules released Wednesday mean agricultural workers will be able to go to the bathroom in fields and drive equipment without wearing a seatbelt.

http://edmontonjournal.com/business/local-business/farm-workers-permitted-to-relieve-themselves-in-fields-drive-without-seatbelts-under-new-rules
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Is this what they mean by organic?
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Nope, it means less flavor in your potato chip bag..
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

They've been doing it anyways although more likely they do it at the edges of the fields rather than on the crops. There are no washrooms out there and with fields as big as they are it makes little sense to put porta-potties out there.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Does anyone realize what this unit does?

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

This....is a real conversation....

really?

What's next? Ensuring the rabbits, coyotes, moose, elk, cougars, moles, ravens, eagles.....basically the animal kingdom who dares defecate in a field, pee in a pasture, or rudely walk through a field without first wiping its paws/hooves/talons/beaver tail....should then be summarily rounded up and disinfected?

...do I dare say farming for generations...er...recycles manure in copious quantities as excellent fertilizer? OH GASP!!!! Your potatoes were grown in pig poop for generations...er…"compost"....

yeah...a little extra potassium from your pee...becomes a healthier potato...

As for seat belts...hilarious. You do no more than 8 km/h most of the time, plowing is even slower. Combines and swathers move at that speed only if it is dry...yup...that seat belt sure protects...

Wow.
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Does anyone realize what this unit does?

Hahaha....and that's a fancy one...spreading "compost"

we had the liquified version...

Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    Is this what they mean by organic?

Good one.

Then sell it at 2.5x the price of non-organic.

And the cornholios go gaga over it.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Funny thing...

to be certified "organic", you can't use manure...

talk about being full of.....

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Funny thing...

Curious as to your source on that. As far I know manure can be used, although there are generally regulations about how it is sourced and such, but that is not different than non-organic farms. There are "vegan" farms which will not use manure as they aim to not use any animal products.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Funny thing...

Curious as to your source on that. As far I know manure can be used, although there are generally regulations about how it is sourced and such, but that is not different than non-organic farms. There are "vegan" farms which will not use manure as they aim to not use any animal products.
    Yes, this is correct. I was unclear what Richard was citing as well.

He may be confused by the FDA attempting to stop or limit use of manure on organic farms and not the organic farms themselves, which prefer the natural manure use over man made fertilizers.

But for clarity, and to add to the discussion, there is disagreement, scientifically, on how long such things as salmonella or similarly harmful microbes are active in the soil, which is obvious cause for concern and the reason I specifically time the use of manure. My own feeling being that fall manure spread is safe regarding crops the next year ( Living in Canada and assuming such things are killed by the cold) but in California the microbes have reportedly lasted 300 days.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-07-2018 at 10:24 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

It was simply starting with local producers talking with GoA to find out the what and the how.

Vs regular manure spreading operations, which are fairly straightforward (must be tilled in within 48 hrs, etc), depending on who we talked to, organic certifications wanted to know the entire food chain cradle to...er...grave...or outright said it wasn't natural. No one made a split for vegan, but I can see how that crowd may have that issue.

Given how fluid "organic" certification is, there is a push now to not use...as it was put...natural manure but rather crop rotations and minimal tillage to revitalize the soil. Basically, getting "organic" isn't worth it in this climate. I was investigating some specific crops and taking advantage of some unspoiled land, but the APL power line and their introduction of clubroot spores, plus their planned heavy use of herbicides for tree/vegetation control, 160 acres is now off limits. The other 1/4 section was going to be reinvigorated with "natural" manure, but then that got pooh poohed…

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Nice use of pooh poohed!