Thread: FISE 2018 - July 13-15, 2018

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default FISE 2018 - July 13-15, 2018

FISE World Series Edmonton kicks off in Louise McKinney Park
    July 11, 2018

https://www.fiseworldedmonton.com

Join FISE CEO Hervé André-Benoit and FISE athletes as they officially open FISE World Series Edmonton. FISE transforms Louise McKinney Riverfront Park into an outdoor action sports arena where some of the world’s best pro riders and amateurs will compete in BMX Freestyle, BMX Flatland, Skateboard and Scooter competitions.

A full site tour will be available following the news conference and parking/media passes will be available for pick up. Please ensure you have completed the accreditation form.

Date: Thursday, July 12
    Time: 9:30 a.m.
    Location: Louise McKinney Riverfront Park, BMX Flatland Arena, see site map below. Someone will be available to greet media in the main parking lot off Grierson Hill.

Visual Opportunities:
    Interview with Hervé André-Benoit
    Interview with FISE Athletes
    Interview with City of Edmonton representative
    Athlete Demos
    Festival Site Tour

For more information:
    fiseworldedmonton.com

Follow on Twitter and Instagram:
    twitter.com/fiseworld
    instagram.com/fiseworld

Media contact:
    FISE World Series Edmonton
    Amy McBain
    Media Liaison
    Berlin Communications
    780-288-9504
    View as W
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Curious why it was moved to Louise McKinley this year

Access, views, connectivity.
    www.decl.org

Access, connectivity? How so?

Hawerlak is no scream in hell for connectivity or access either but Louise McKinney is, at the moment, only marginally better. There's a better reason why this moved.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Groat bridge construction issues...that would be my guess. Also, there is a chance for more participation with more residents nearby...

...these are only my educated guesses based on feedback. I make no claim to these being the actual reason.
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

I was specifically told by the organizers that they wanted it better connected to the city, transit and possible pre/post uses such as a restaurant, pub or other options.
    www.decl.org

I wonder how much of the want to do this at LMP is due to the Red bull precedents there and it working pretty well. It is a better location for it, and the hillside probably conducive to setting up some of the tracks or whatever. Not so great for viewers or access. Would be better as well of LMP wasn't surrounded by construction and trail closures albeit its been awhile since I've been there.

One thing I don't want to see ever again is Aboriginal Day located at hell to access Victoria park. That should never occur as a location with a major event. So much better at LMP.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

definitely closer to restaurants...

I'm curious to see what transpires this year. I made a couple calls after I posted, and I got a slightly different reason why they were moved...but hopefully this move and the connections you cite helps. Should be fun!

Victoria Park is hard to access?
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Victoria Park is hard to access?
    For events? yeah, no parking for events at Victoria park like for Aboriginal day, you have to take a bike or park far away from the event and catch a shuttle that runs when they feel like it with no fixed schedule. Its a **** location to get to for most people, those that don't happen to live downtown. Anything would be better. LMP, Hawreluk, anything.

Even driving to Groat road is a closure shitshow, cycling from east or west is bad as trail closures and detours still all over the place.

At somepoint maybe this city will have a little less construction going on, hopefully.
    Last edited by Replacement; 12-07-2018 at 11:06 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

...any reports from the event? Pictures? The Journal had some, but I would like to see more crowd shots vs just athletes.

...although a couple shots with Canada Place in the background were good.

From an hour ago. Getting busy, but still early.

www.decl.org

Shaw Conference Centre picked a great day to be closed for maintenance.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

SCC was closed? lmao. What a City, what coordination of public interests and civic endeavors. That's just incredibly inept. Good thing we have the Funicular. Was that working?

Perhaps not ideal, but the SCC didn't impact FISE at all... not sure what the issue is here?
    www.decl.org

FISE participants, locals and tourists were deprived of a vital link between McKinney Park and downtown - someone at EEDC must be fired for their incompetence.

Other than that, FISE was fine!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

The funicular was open, there was signage to take the Shaw exterior stairs and many took the stairs at 96st.

Again, ideal, no, but it did not have a detrimental impact.
    www.decl.org

Is Edmonton not supposed to be showcasing its best possible amenities when such events are occurring and further to raising positive views in exposure to Edmonton?

The only answer possible to this Ian is yes. That you don't see it as a problem, or that SCC being open on the day OUGHT to be a priority, is the same school of thought that somehow allows things like this to occur.

SCC is an interesting facility for visitors and many would probably like trying both Funicular and SCC but SCC is obviously closer to the event and the most obvious way to get there.

Last time I checked, most people do not want to checkout a conference centre on a weekend en route to events with multiple options of getting there. Again, not ideal, but inconsequential.
    www.decl.org

Last time I checked, most people do not want to checkout a conference centre on a weekend en route to events with multiple options of getting there. Again, not ideal, but inconsequential.
    Typical insouciant response from you. The SCC was DESIGNED to be a connection to the River Valley and whereby Jasper Avenue could be connected to River valley trails, access, activities, and to showcase the area for Edmontonians and visitors alike. This undertaking was done at great cost and requiring exorbitant costs in bank stabilization to even build the damn thing.

Then we have events IN the River Valley IMMEDIATELY adjacent to the SCC and you are saying its "INCONSEQUENTIAL" that SCC was closed entirely? This was the MAIN entrance to both Red Bull events and would be for this one, if it happened to be open.

The lol irony of your post is that civic boosters prior to you would have cited the SCC facility as one of the revitalizing hilites and catalysts of the DT. Now in your opinion (conveniently timed) its something that you doubt "most people want to checkout".

Probably if I checked back you were a backer of SCC expansion as a significant element in the DT. Now its nothing to see there type whitewashing from you.

Most readers here know if both the SCC and Funicular were closed you'd probably be explaining it away and saying no big deal.
    Last edited by Replacement; 16-07-2018 at 12:21 PM.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

...any more pictures? Crowd estimates?

Of course, the reason for the move from Hawrelak was connectivity and access correct? Closer to restaurants and such? SCC escalators bring you much closer to restaurants on a section of Jasper where apparently CoE is presently trying to focus the attention of residents and downtowner types - at least that's whats being said out of one side of their mouths. Funiculi, Funicula - uber alles!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Many on Youtube/social media. The afternoon/finals looked very well attended, but unsure what that number is.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Of course, the reason for the move from Hawrelak was connectivity and access correct? Closer to restaurants and such? SCC escalators bring you much closer to restaurants on a section of Jasper where apparently CoE is presently trying to focus the attention of residents and downtowner types - at least that's whats being said out of one side of their mouths. Funiculi, Funicula - uber alles!!!
    Yeah, Ians defense of this is ridiculous. Most of the events at LMP, for instance Red Bull crashed ice have parties and other things going on directly on Jasper ave and so SCC obviously being the conduit of that. But obviously SCC not being open would have impacted ease of access to Jasper Ave and surrounding business. Again its the MAIN access point. So many people at red bull were accessing simply through SCC they had to limit audience using that corridor and diverting to the other ones. (the ones that are far less convenient entry points)

Do you really, honestly, truly think that a building/operation run by EEDC would compromise an event put on by EEDC?
    www.decl.org

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Many on Youtube/social media. The afternoon/finals looked very well attended, but unsure what that number is.
    Thanks Ian.

Do you really, honestly, truly think that a building/operation run by EEDC would compromise an event put on by EEDC?
    They just did. The question is how can something so inane occur?

I'd rather C2E than work!

This left a bad taste in my mouth. I know a theft can happen in any city, but I personally feel really sad two competitors were affected because their BMX bikes were stolen in Edmonton.

“Myself and a few of the guys bring our bikes into the restaurant to go eat some food, and when we go grab our bikes, only my bike was there. It turns out two dudes walked in and walked right out with our bikes and we didn’t see anything,” said Martin.

“As I was going to grab my bike, I saw another guy looking over my bike as if he was going to steal it. I literally walked over at the right time. If my bike got stolen, there was no way I was going to be able to win this event today.

“What a crazy thing to happen. This was by far the strangest experience I’ve had on tour.”

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/o...4-98dc099b9786