Thread: New Misericordia Hospital Emergency | Approved | Opening 2023

C2E SME

Default New Misericordia Hospital Emergency | Approved | Opening 2023

"Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

About time ...I've spent too many hours in the old one and it sucked. Both due to the pain I was in...and the overcrowding. Oh so much fun to have a Personal Directive shoved in your face while being frightened by the post op DVT / PE's they found... no privacy just added to the stress of don't get stressed because these clots will kill you.... .
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Well, I'm surprised they didn't just demolish it and start over.

C2E SME

They’re building it west of the hospital.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I'd rather C2E than work!

It's such a dump and was from the start ( all sorts of problems)..I'm glad something is being done
    Last edited by H.L.; 21-07-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    They’re building it west of the hospital.

Source: https://www.covenanthealth.ca/new-emergency-department/

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by azzey View Post
    Well, I'm surprised they didn't just demolish it and start over.
    ...other than this thing called capacity...where would they put the overflow?

Odds are the SW hospital proposed could come to fruition, but the Misericordia needs something now....

I wouldn't be surprised to see a new hospital built on the parking lot in front of the hospital, demolition of the current building and then a second phase of construction on the existing site. Add a parkade and you're done.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I've heard that or demolish the old nurse's residence and work behind the existing building.

I was thinking in front so they could do a direct connection to the LRT station.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

You still can.

That plan was what I saw when I was a bit of a longer term resident at the Mis in 2015. The emergency ward announcer was shown then. It was a multi-year phased build...

...until LRT they do need parking as what they have is often inadequate. So, if you take out what they have, replace it with nothing, it is a bigger issue. Plus, you don't want to overly disrupt emergency flow.

Plus, you'd need to look at setbacks on 87 th to accommodate ingress / egress, all while accommodating current ones...not impossible if you build out front either, but harder.

Now, you could build out front by putting a lot in the back, but that seemed a little unlikely. ...but yes, what I saw was 2015. Any rebuild would have to take into account the SW hospital too.

Looking at the photo in post #6, there's still parking on the north & west sides. Sure, there'd be disruption but there's ways around it. Or, build the parkade first on the north/west and then build the new hospital.

The thing with a hospital is that you can't just close it during the construction period. And when the new building is ready, you need to be able to move all the patients to the new location as quickly and safely as possible.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

There are options. We don't have a say, so let's just wait and see.

I'm only speaking from what I know from speaking to staff as a very bored resident on far too many occasions since 1992. Trying to get in and out is a PITA as it is now. The space out back would not interfere with current ops.

Whether or not the new plans look like the concepts I saw as a part of the media push in 2015, who knows. I'm just happy the emergency department is being done because the current one SUCKS! I feel for the staff and patients there.

They have lots of real estate to play with from the #6 view. The problem is all the parking is put outdoors which consumed a lot of space. They just need to implement underground parkade with this project and every other project going forward.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Or wait until the short sighted voters decide to elect the UCP who put a halt to this projects and the new SW hospital in the name of tax cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Or wait until the short sighted voters decide to elect the UCP who put a halt to this projects and the new SW hospital in the name of tax cuts.
    Good Catholic alter boy Jason Kennedy will promote the Catholic operated Grey Nuns and Misericordia over public hospitals. While Catholic hospitals are publicly funded they have the ability to discriminate and cherry pick what services and clients they accept based not their "faith" ideologue, unfortunately. IMO all public hospitals should be operated by Alberta Health - and those that want to operate as private or religious should be self funded.

C2E SME

^what is the basis of your accusation of descrimination and cherry picking that you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    ^what is the basis of your accusation of descrimination and cherry picking that you speak of?
    They refuse to perform: abortions, gender reassignment surgery, right-to-die (self decision to terminate ones life).