Thread: How do I plan a trip To Germany/Europe from Edmonton?

Default How do I plan a trip To Germany/Europe from Edmonton?

I am thinking of going to Dusseldorf (to a convention) and other places in Germany and/or Europe in the Fall of 2018. I have no idea where or who to ask. If I am going to America then it's no problem, but to Europe by myself without a tour is going to be an adventure to say the least.

I am guessing I go to a travel agent that specializes in European vacations and flights as a beginning?

Any help appreciated.

D.

A travel agent like you said, or now with the inter web you can do a lot of it yourself.

This may give you a starting point. I’m a planner so I find this easy but I understand why some people would find this hard.

https://www.smartertravel.com/2017/0...10-step-guide/
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Have a great time!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

I'd rather C2E than work!

Have you asked a family member or a friend or associate?

They might know someone who knows someone who knows someone.

I'd rather C2E than work!

C2E is not a vacation planning website. If you have Facebook - try this website for info and chat. Copy and put in search bar or just google this:

YEG Deals | Edmonton's Travel Deals & Advice Community

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Eminent View Post
    I am thinking of going to Dusseldorf (to a convention) and other places in Germany and/or Europe in the Fall of 2018. I have no idea where or who to ask. If I am going to America then it's no problem, but to Europe by myself without a tour is going to be an adventure to say the least.

I am guessing I go to a travel agent that specializes in European vacations and flights as a beginning?

Any help appreciated.

D.
    This is very exciting.

Fly KLM from Edmonton to Amsterdam and at the Schiphol airport take the train to Amsterdam Central station. from there, board a German Deutschen Bahn InterCity Express Train (ICE) to Dusseldorf.

Or book a plane ticket through to Dusseldorf and wait at Schiphol and make your connection.

On the ground in Germany, Deutschen Bahn InterCity Express Trains are your friend to move from City to City.

C2E SME

It's much easier to travel around from city to city in Europe than it is in North America. Generally there's a train that will get you where you need to go. And especially in Western Europe, nearly everyone will speak at least some English if language barrier is at all a concern. Otherwise, try Lonely Planet's website or their books for trip planning/ideas, if you aren't going the full service travel agent route.

One thing that you definitely need to be careful of in Europe and especially busy train stations, airports, streets etc is pick-pocketing. It's pretty common, and they are very good at it. Otherwise, not much to be worried about in terms of safety if you're not going out of your way to find trouble.

deleted
    Last edited by Eminent; 09-08-2018 at 08:27 PM.

It is called, "The Internet"

They have information on things to see and do in Europe.

I had not been to Europe in more than 30 years so I picked several places I wanted to see, found an afordable river cruise with bicycles on board that gave us a moving hotel so we did not have to pack and unpack for the first week and could cycle 30 to 50 km every day through Austria. Went to visit family in Bavaria and then drove 4,000 km across Europe in 30 days with a rented Modeo turbo diesel station wagon that cost us only $750 CDN!

Booked 2 to 3 night stops along our route to Bordeaux and back to Zurich through AirBnB. Took me about 30 to 40 hours on the computer to plan everything and book our cruise, flight, hotels, car and AirBnB.

Make sure you can make late cancellations because we changed our return of 4 days in uber-expensive Switzerland to spend 4 nights in Colmar in Alsace.

Now after this 40 day exploration, we are planning a 21 day Europe trip with one week in 3 of our favorite locations. I can book everything in about two long evenings as long as the wife does not change her mind, again.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 09-08-2018 at 06:06 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

We don’t travel much but often just book the first and last nights and then start exploring. Recently did it that way in Portugal, Ireland, Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminent View Post

Any help appreciated.

D.
    This is very exciting.

Fly KLM from Edmonton to Amsterdam and at the Schiphol airport take the train to Amsterdam Central station. from there, board a German Deutschen Bahn InterCity Express Train (ICE) to Dusseldorf.

Or book a plane ticket through to Dusseldorf and wait at Schiphol and make your connection.

On the ground in Germany, Deutschen Bahn InterCity Express Trains are your friend to move from City to City.
    Thank you for being kind and really helpful. I will do the appropriate research. Being the first time in countries can be daunting. All these terms and cities are complete unknowns so it take some time to formulate a plan. All the posts at least take a bit of the unknown away.
    Last edited by Eminent; 09-08-2018 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    A travel agent like you said, or now with the inter web you can do a lot of it yourself.

This may give you a starting point. I’m a planner so I find this easy but I understand why some people would find this hard.

https://www.smartertravel.com/2017/0...10-step-guide/
    This is fantastic thanks!