Thread: Capital - conversion - 10035- 108 Street - 12 Storey + 6 Storey

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Capital - conversion - 10035- 108 Street - 12 Storey + 6 Storey

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I sure hope EDC has something to say regarding that additional new building to the north.

Not a fan overall.
    Edmonton is a very exciting place to be right now.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by finishstrong View Post
    I sure hope EDC has something to say regarding that additional new building to the north.

Not a fan overall.
    hopefully that’s not much more than a massing model for discussion purposes and not an actual architectural proposal. there is so much potential there for things like a day care with access to the podium roof that could really animate that stretch at multiple levels it would be a shame to make it fight with itself to be interesting. as for the colour, you can paint concrete a lot of colours and make it work but almost never white. not the right thing for those poured in place distressed finish ribbed spandrels.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

If I have the location correct here's what's there now. The building on the right gets the refurb and the new building goes on the parking lot?

Is late 2019 for completion a very ambitious timeline?

I'd rather C2E than work!

Yes, I would say unachievable.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by OffWhyte
    Is late 2019 for completion a very ambitious timeline?Is late 2019 for completion a very ambitious timeline?

"Very ambitious" is a more charitable term than I'd use.

I think late 2019 is when construction starts up, not the completion of it.

Will this include retail space for a dead street?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

has April 1st come early/late? How could anyone think that a suburban style condo is appropriate for Capital Boulevard?
    Last edited by buildings; 01-08-2018 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I think late 2019 is when construction starts up, not the completion of it.

Will this include retail space for a dead street?
    Completion as per their blurb.

I would suspect some, yes.
    www.decl.org

I alluded to it before, but I guess the pedway just gets removed? Or will be be somehow worked into the new plan?

Something that’s about mayfair height should work where that empty lot is. Just needs to be a better design.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by finishstrong View Post

Not a fan overall.
    hopefully that’s not much more than a massing model for discussion purposes and not an actual architectural proposal. there is so much potential there for things like a day care with access to the podium roof that could really animate that stretch at multiple levels it would be a shame to make it fight with itself to be interesting. as for the colour, you can paint concrete a lot of colours and make it work but almost never white. not the right thing for those poured in place distressed finish ribbed spandrels.
    The rendering is basic enough that I think all of those potentials are possible. There's potential in the rendering for podium activation, activation between the two buildings, and activation on the roof. It's generic enough that it could happen, although obviously it doesn't mean it will.

I agree the colour choice is dumb though. White concrete turns into a yellowish rust stained mess pretty fast. Was in Spain recently and this building had a depressing amount of stains on it(Prince Felipe Museum of Science). Less than 20 years old and I'm sure has gotten quite a few washes since then.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    I alluded to it before, but I guess the pedway just gets removed? Or will be be somehow worked into the new plan?

I believe it will be removed. I think that will require a different DP though.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^^

valencia and calatreva. sigh...

Remember this?

@ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Can you confirm what it will look like? Is it still as per previous renderings?

I cannot confirm or deny.
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I cannot confirm or deny.
    confidentiality or no knowledge or just being coy? unless it’s being built without permits, the permit drawings should all be public information.

As in I am unsure.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

I doubt it's changed, as that's what they put out for tender awhile back.

Crane going up.

I will beat the dead horse back to life.

Anyone know whether this redevelopment was subject to design review by EDC?

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Anyone know whether this redevelopment was subject to design review by EDC?
    I was wondering this as well. Zoning map shows it's still CMU, so I guess it depends on whether it was determined to have a design impact on the city, at the discretion of council or the City Manager.
    I will beat the dead horse back to life.

My pictures, from a couple of weeks ago:

Is it conclusive that is is only 6 floor.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Is it conclusive that is is only 6 floor.
    Yes, that is what has been approved for construction.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

So then its 6 floors and the adjacent building gets a facelift?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

My photo from last weekend, parkade is at grade.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Kreation View Post
    My photo from last weekend, parkade is at grade.
    Thanks for posting all the pics of your tour around downtown.

They are above ground level now on the new six storey building.

This company is also doing the conversion project on 111 street and 100 ave. This project in terms of its street level view looks good - nice addition to the street with the glass, new frontage, landscaping etc.

My picture from this afternoon, columns for ground floor being formed and poured.

First One is Always Free

They're starting on the second floor of the new building and they've switched from all concrete in level one to all wood in level two.

A few shots from yesterday:

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1174407478479470593
    @ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

This one’s gonna be nasty. Regency/Langham level bad

One one thread we have people complaining about no affordable housing downtown and on this thread complaining about the quality.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Don't mind the conversion so much...not a beauty but serviceable and will be attractive to pols and gov workers. The suburban style addition being built directly north, however, is in my mind cringe worthy and completely out of place on such an important downtown street.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    One one thread we have people complaining about no affordable housing downtown and on this thread complaining about the quality.
    Oh my god I do not know how many times I have to say this—AFFORDABLE HOUSING DOESN'T HAVE TO BE UGLY. AFFORDABLE HOUSING DOESN'T HAVE TO BE UGLY.

This isn’t ugly because it’s “affordable,” it’s ugly because it’s horribly designed

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

a
    Quote Originally Posted by bleppers View Post
    Oh my god I do not know how many times I have to say this—AFFORDABLE HOUSING DOESN'T HAVE TO BE UGLY. AFFORDABLE HOUSING DOESN'T HAVE TO BE UGLY.

This isn’t ugly because it’s “affordable,” it’s ugly because it’s horribly designed
    in most markets affordable housing developers/providers/architects strive to make their product architecturally "upmarket". when you're prepared to work at it, it's not even markedly more expensive to deliver. why edmonton continues to think if it's affordable it somehow needs to look like crap continues to amaze me.

on the other hand, i suppose there's still enough "non-affordable housing" around that also looks like crap so there's not enough quality for the affordable to have to emulate. hopefully that will start to change once we get a critical mass of quality to emulate and for consumers to insist on quality in design, not just in amenities.

Ok captain moneybags how about you start building what you think we should have then instead of bitching about how other builders are aprently doing it "wrong"

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magnus View Post

Ok captain moneybags how about you start building what you think we should have then instead of bitching about how other builders are aprently doing it "wrong"
    cute...

but how do you know he isn't?

and if he is, then his criticism would be valid?

which means if it's valid criticism it shouldn't actually depend on whether he is or isn't should it?

you don't need to be a film director or an orchestra conductor to know when you've seen a bad film or listened to a lousy concert.
    Last edited by kcantor; 20-09-2019 at 12:25 PM.

^ well constructed and delivered... (and the useful commentary is extremely affordable)

a

in most markets affordable housing developers/providers/architects strive to make their product architecturally "upmarket". when you're prepared to work at it, it's not even markedly more expensive to deliver. why edmonton continues to think if it's affordable it somehow needs to look like crap continues to amaze me.

on the other hand, i suppose there's still enough "non-affordable housing" around that also looks like crap so there's not enough quality for the affordable to have to emulate. hopefully that will start to change once we get a critical mass of quality to emulate and for consumers to insist on quality in design, not just in amenities.
    Amen

The criticism came from the use of wood frame construction a very affordable way to build apartments. Whether or not it is appealing is another matter.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Kind of wish they weren't painting the brick as I think it might look terrible as time goes on. Why not use something similar to the HSBC parkade to dress up the building?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

it's not brick. those spandrels are poured in place "broken rib" concrete that will probably take paint quite well.

it's not brick. those spandrels are poured in place "broken rib" concrete that will probably take paint quite well.
    That's good to know, hopefully it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreation View Post
    That's good to know, hopefully it does.
    "that will probably take paint quite well" ...

The Harley Court conversion to e11even was pretty decent imo. Expect the same here

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    The Harley Court conversion to e11even was pretty decent imo. Expect the same here
    Yes, I think e11even is actually is an improvement. It looks good. The 108 St project seems to be a bit more extensive than I thought, with a number of balconies and the paint does make it look quite a bit better. Its still quite a box though and I am waiting to see how the 6 storey part goes before come to a conclusion on it.