Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mackenzie Tower (10145 + 10149 104 Street) | 34 Stories Hotel + Condo | Proposed

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Add Tower B and the new 33 story job for 104 on the promenade - be quite the view!
    In the view from the photo below only the very top 3-4 floors of Tower B may be visible.
    No, a lot more will be visible than that. You'll be able to see virtually every floor, or at least part of every floor, with the remainder blocked by Ultima (it's going to be fatter/wider). And then you'll see a full view of the top 10+ floors, as it's significantly higher than Ultima.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Add Tower B and the new 33 story job for 104 on the promenade - be quite the view!
    In the view from the photo below only the very top 3-4 floors of Tower B may be visible.
    No, a lot more will be visible than that. You'll be able to see virtually every floor, or at least part of every floor, with the remainder blocked by Ultima (it's going to be fatter/wider). And then you'll see a full view of the top 10+ floors, as it's significantly higher than Ultima.
    Your right - my eye looked up 4th on the photo- when Tower B is between 3rd and the back alley so not on 4th. So you will see a slice of it from that photo view.

Just for comparison, the parking lot on the SW corner of 104st and 103ave is the exact same size (well, 1.8m^2 smaller).

Tower B will be visible. It will be in between Ultima and this tower. Ultima might obscure the east portion slightly though.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Met with John from Blue Plate. Landlord and Blue Plate have a very good working relationship at this point and confident they will be taken are of by the landlord once this proposal moves forward. John is a downtown resident and generally thinks this development will be positive for 104 Street.
    www.decl.org

C2E Continued Contributor

great to hear. it would be a shame to lose the businesses that helped spark the area in the first place.

I enjoy this place as well, but this business was not the one that transformed this area. Give the people that went into this area when the original Cecil hotel was still there. They are: Frank's and Carols cafe. They moved into this area when it was a complete dump. Don't know when Frank's opened up, but it was taken over by Carol in 1994 which then became Carol's cafe. Too much credit is given to Blue plate who basically came when this area transformed.

That said, I'm glad to hear positive tones all around. Let's hope they take a temporary place and return once all is finished.

I miss Franks. Simple tasty Italian home cooking.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed
    I enjoy this place as well, but this business was not the one that transformed this area. Give the people that went into this area when the original Cecil hotel was still there. They are: Frank's and Carols cafe. They moved into this area when it was a complete dump. Don't know when Frank's opened up, but it was taken over by Carol in 1994 which then became Carol's cafe. Too much credit is given to Blue plate who basically came when this area transformed.
    You've got your timelines wrong. Blue Plate opened when the Cecil was still physically there, although I don't know if it was still operating. There was a lot of homeless and drunks that would break in to it and sleep there, though, and it was a constant parade of them between the Cecil and the Grand. Neither of the Icons were there, nor was the Century. They were gravel parking lots. Phillips had just been renovated and re-occupied. I don't think Ric's had yet opened in the Metals building. Tzin was still years away, along with Devine and the optometry place. The Blue Plate opened I think in roughly late 2003. I remember because I was the only one in the restaurant a few times and I was not yet living in Phillips. The street was a ghost town after 5pm. Or maybe more of a drunk-zombie apocalypse.

The owners of the Blue Plate do deserve a lot of credit for being one of the first businesses to take a chance on the street. Did they transform it themselves? Of course not, and no one is claiming that.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 07-09-2018 at 12:04 PM.

True Marcel... but they moved in just before the condos started popping up ( the first one across from Fox 1) at the beginning of the big oil sands boom. Frank's and Carol' were during the hell recession we went through. They were the ones who brought people to the area when it was ghetto town, and they we're relatively successful. Shouldn't those people be credited also? The Roost, Flashbacks, and Dance Factories/Sublime were my homes away from home, so i am quite familiar with the timeline. BPD didn't endure the scum of Cecil that made this area the ghetto; those other two did and they are the pioneers to this area. I'll give BPD credit, but the credit is more deservingly towards the previous establishments. How many of you dined in this area with Cecil's ghetto drunken army charging you for change? We supported those restaurants because they were great establishments. BPD was an addition to that revitalization, but they were not the ones that changed that area; nor did they endured what Frank's and carol's had to with guns and violent murders on a regular basis. Credit has to be given to where credit is due is all I'm saying. By no means do I think lowly of BPD as it is a cool place that I enjoy, and I hope they'll comeback to the new podium (perhaps a new old podium).

Urban capital posted this on their fb:

Urban Capital

September 4 at 7:53 AM ·

Guess where we are heading next?
    Further details to come next week....

source: https://www.facebook.com/UrbanCapita...794981/?type=3

C2E Long Term Contributor

104 Street highrise proposed, popular diner’s future uncertain

Highlights since it wasn't already clear:

• 136 residential units by Urban Capital
    • 156 hotel units under Groupe Germain Hotels’ new banner, Alt+
    • double-height restaurant on its ground level
    • Groupe Germain’s first in Edmonton, with three hotels already located in Calgary
    • Alt+ has only one other location in Canada, in Brossard, Que
    • Mackenzie Tower is being designed by Montreal’s LemayMichaud

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Wow, zero setbacks on the north and south sides. I hope they have purchased the right to encroach from the neighbouring property owners because this would make the neighbouring properties impossible to build towers on due to separation rules.

Not that I actually want those neighbours to build as they're heritage buildings, but property rights and all that.
    There can only be one.

More monolithic than I would like, not sure if this is a design that warrants a re-zoning.

Although it's the budget brand, I've stayed at Alt's before and they are perfectly acceptable no-frills business hotels. It'll probably compete very well against the Coast across the street on 105th.

I like it

Germain Group and Urban Capital - 34 Storeys

https://twitter.com/DECLorg/status/1040036719423156224
    @ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Very cool looking tower.

Is that outdoor parking part of their property? This will look awsome next to Encore. Two nice contrasting colors and design elements with great curb appeal.

It is not. That is the Philips Lofts parking lot.
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Any chance this thread can be renamed "Mackenzie Tower"?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I like it very much.

Omg I LOVE this!!!!!

This.Looks.Good.

Approve!

The podium is OK, but what's above it is just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    Your opinion is wrong.

Simple and elegant with the right choice of color to contrast from the rest while acting as a great juxtaposition to the other gorgeous tower called 'Encore' Simplicity at it finest in every way as far as I'm concern.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The news story about this said it wont get underway for at least another 3 years, if I heard that right. I like the concept though. Maybe the developer will save some ground floor retail space for Blue plate to return.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

^ I'm guessing they meant at least three years to completion, but I'm not sure.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    If anything I think the podium needs work to better fit the neighbourhood, but the tower is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoForMayor View Post
    Earlier in the story he said "move in dates are still several years away", so yes that's probably what he meant.

Another posterboard:

https://twitter.com/HarrySherry/status/1040020733311639552

So it looks like it would be exactly 3 meters taller than Icon 2.

C2E SME

I do like to tower part, although I still am deciding whether I like the podium or not.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

I really like the podium and how it contrasts with the heritage buildings. Sleek, modern, sexy.
    www.decl.org

I do too. It doesn't have to have the antiquated look as minimalism compliments that area well. I thought about the podium as well, but once you look at the structure to its very right I'm glad the podium is as is; it compliments it's neighbor without diminishing its neighbor's heritage. At the same time, it blends in there quite smoothly as far as I'm concern.

The setbacks are interesting, possibly eliminating any additional heritage density bonusing or retrofits of the adjacent buildings, as well... I really hope the activate the top of the podium roof. Interesting International Style design though. Curious about the amenities in this building.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Yup, I love this building!I'm ok with their plans.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoForMayor View Post
    Could be and that's about average, Edgewater, Ultima, Fox one, Icon's to name a few. There's a few hoops the developer needs to go through first, since a far as I know there's no set timeline for this tower.

Rezoning will be 6-12months, DP another few, BP another, so if sales go well we could see this u/c in 1.5-2yrs with around a 2yr+ build.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    Wow, zero setbacks on the north and south sides. I hope they have purchased the right to encroach from the neighbouring property owners because this would make the neighbouring properties impossible to build towers on due to separation rules.

Not that I actually want those neighbours to build as they're heritage buildings, but property rights and all that.
    Not really a concern to the North, as Phillips is a heritage building and the fenced parking lot is part of the same property. Neither will be changing or getting knocked down for a high rise. Not sure if the Saddlery building is a registered heritage building or not.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Not really a concern to the North, as Phillips is a heritage building and the fenced parking lot is part of the same property. Neither will be changing or getting knocked down for a high rise. Not sure if the Saddlery building is a registered heritage building or not.
    The zero setbacks essentially ensures the future of those buildings as heritage bldgs. Of course they should be preserved due to their historical value, but eliminating the potential to build on those lots essentially saves them from the wrecking ball in the future.

It would still be a concern of mine if I were a neighbor. If I wanted to develop the land into a high rise by torching my heritage building, a tower like this would really be a setback.

It is already a condo; and you wash your mouth for having such thoughts- torch! There shall be NO torching what so ever lol! The only building endangered of a wrecking/torching ball would be the corner next to the 'Boardwalk on 104.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post

It would still be a concern of mine if I were a neighbor. If I wanted to develop the land into a high rise by torching my heritage building, a tower like this would really be a setback.
    Or even a few stories added on top while maintaining the heritage building. Or a super-skinny tower on the Philips parking lot in the distant future. That right is being taken away and arbitrarily given to the neighbour - if that's how it's going to work why bother with any zoning rules?

Maybe adjacent development would just mean this hotel has to brick up all the north or south windows like in the heritage warehouses the first time around?
    There can only be one.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Rezoning will be 6-12months, DP another few, BP another, so if sales go well we could see this u/c in 1.5-2yrs with around a 2yr+ build.
    So we're looking at least 2 years from now before the current MacKenzie building will be demolished then?

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    It is already a condo; and you wash your mouth for having such thoughts- torch! There shall be NO torching what so ever lol! The only building endangered of a wrecking/torching ball would be the corner next to the 'Boardwalk on 104.
    Fox 2?

No, the single storey just west of Encore, otherwise, everything else is safe as far as I know; on top of that, we have developers now such as , Ken, Chris, and many truly value the history of our city, and theyre dignified enough to understand what few stocks left has to be preserved. I been wanting a nice brown (chocolate) in the core to contrast with Manulife.

Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bleppers View Post
    This is absolutely mental, and would be a fiasco on par with the Bank of Montreal debacle. I cannot wrap my head around why in a downtown covered in vast, desolate swathes of surface parking we're demolishing some of the very few high-quality buildings we have in this city. Makes absolutely zero sense. This is not progress.
    Because this is the LAND that they OWN. There are plenty of land owners that have no problem owning a gravel parking lot and the only way they'll sell is for an astronomical amount.
    I guess that's the reality and they will do what they wish with their land. But it's a shame that, at this stage of the game, instead of adding a tower to underdeveloped areas in the warehouse district, they are trying to cram a tower in the middle of a bunch of other towers; and also make it as big as possible. The sightlines for both hotel guests and residents will be looking into Encore, Enbridge Plaza, Icon 1 and Icon 2 and vice versa. It will feel very crowded. It would be better to keep the east side of 104th street at the 5 story limit and under for space and consistency. This tower will interrupt and overshadow the flow of historic buildings.
    The benefits of adding that type of density outweighs any negatives as it relates to sightlines or shadowing. I would also argue that these towers will not detract how we experience the heritage buildings at grade.

We have two white towers on the west side of 104th street, and one black tower proposed for the east side, should we be expecting a second black tower?!?
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Black tower? This looks more chocolate brown than black.

Looks black to me...

^Its black...

Looks brown to me from the zoomed in podium render. Compared to the black road, the podium has a brown/grey tint and the spandrels with similiar tones The chocolate color appear to be lighter brow at higher elevation. I'm not sure if that was intended as light affect or strategic color usuage. I suspect the latter. Areas of dark chovolate is thicker in comparison to the lighter zone. We'll thought imo .

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post

The zero setbacks essentially ensures the future of those buildings as heritage bldgs. Of course they should be preserved due to their historical value, but eliminating the potential to build on those lots essentially saves them from the wrecking ball in the future.
    Yeah, because if there’s one thing we’ve learned, in Edmonton, heritage designation ensures thabuildings will never fall into disrepair, suffer mysterious fires and the like. Just look how well the Arlington and the Kelly-Ramsey buildings have been lovingly preserved and restored. You’d hardly even know tha the Arlington is a hole in the ground and K-R is just a facade.

In fairness, we should also thank many developers- old and new- that seem to be on board with the "protection program" now. I agree with the trajectory past, but what can we do about it? Im happy with this design as everything that is done is to blend in with the neighborhood without distracting, disrespecting, or out shining what the area was designated for. Not only that, the tower is a great transition of old and new due to its great simplicity. The element of color is also fantastic as that allows the tower some distinguishable flare without dominating or distracting the structure's we are preserving. I'm thankful for this type of responsible efforts ; we could have a structure with a noticeable blank stucco wall...

This is absolutely mental, and would be a fiasco on par with the Bank of Montreal debacle. I cannot wrap my head around why in a downtown covered in vast, desolate swathes of surface parking we're demolishing some of the very few high-quality buildings we have in this city. Makes absolutely zero sense. This is not progress.
    Because this is the LAND that they OWN. There are plenty of land owners that have no problem owning a gravel parking lot and the only way they'll sell is for an astronomical amount.
    Don't disagree that the landowner is acting in an economically rational way, my point is that is that the cultural and regulatory environment in the city is out of whack if these are the kind of outcomes we're getting.

Absolutely

Don't disagree that the landowner is acting in an economically rational way, my point is that is that the cultural and regulatory environment in the city is out of whack if these are the kind of outcomes we're getting.
    What would you suggest be a solution?

That comment was obviously frustration. I sense the hunger for a quicker results... the only way your ideals could be tangible is if we turn hard line or semi ☭. This way we don't have independent business developing. Since we are a democratic society- what is left of it- welcome to our ways of life!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

We have way too many surface lots here in the City. So now we got to tear down the MacKenzie building for a tower?
    Meanwhile the Healey/BP lands across the street from Corona station a few blocks away remain a surface parking lot and probably will remain that way for decades yet too come

Talk to the owner of the land. What does the city have to do with thiis? Once again, if we were COMMUNISM... unless that was what you and bleppers are hinting at. The city still has to follow the democratic process when all is said and done.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I get all of that. For all I know the owner of the land could be a numbered company. And yet in the same breath look what happened out of Alex Decoteau park, and council's frustration recently with the plethora of surface parking lot stock. Unrelated? Possibly. Pardon me for appearing argumentative, that's not my intention today. I'm just frustrated with the many surface parking lots in the city that languish over the decades. I'm not against this tower. Its just again in the wrong location.

That is a result of a back to back recession that you, me and others went through. That is just reality, and, if I could, I suggest you focus that energy in better places. Why be angry at something we have no controlof; and, why waste your energy period on that? Im around 50 now, and some of those lots might still exist when I died.

Ban pay parking in gravel lots and they will get used up pretty fast. Too many landowners are making too much money from the parking on these lots. Or....set a limit of what they can charge so they are barely making a profit to pay the taxes and they may put more on the market.

I gather you know something we don't. Is there a mad rush of people demanding downtown living and developers refused to built? If that was the case, I see that logic. If anything we sprawl... so forcing developers to built is your solution just because your sore eyes is not healing accordingly?. Should developers be allowed to have guns and force us to buy and move downtown then and when will dictatorship become official?

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Ban pay parking in gravel lots and they will get used up pretty fast. Too many landowners are making too much money from the parking on these lots. Or....set a limit of what they can charge so they are barely making a profit to pay the taxes and they may put more on the market.
    And how would you feel if you were one of these land owners making money off parking? No, if you want to incentivize people you need to use a carrot not a whip.

Even with incentives, that is a pretty hard push. I'm no expert and don't do dvelopments, but what I gather from 2000 to now in correlation to available empty plots, I will say it is going to be useless. Our net migration is not there for speedy development to that degree. One only need to tally up condos built in the core since 2000- during a super economy- to 2015. Now, count the empty lots that still remains. How can developers be forced or enticed when an over heated economy couldn't do trick for about 15 years. Tell me something that is more plausible and tangible than that. We may have filled up 30 -35 % of the empty lots during that span. One needs no 💪 of the minds to conclude that. I share just as much frustration, but there is a silver side up. Our wounds are healing. It will come, and we have no choice but to be patient in the mean time. I witness denigrating occurred for 2 decades, and some here as far as 3 decades or more. It will take just as long and maybe longer to fix the problem.

Tax vacant lots as if they had maximum density development on them.

^That had been something cities wanted in the MGA update but didn't get. I don't think there's a legal mechanism in Alberta to do that at this time.
    www.decl.org

Democracy is great for everyday living but suck for developing , and that I know lol.

Actually democracy sucks in a lot of ways, but that's a different discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    Actually democracy sucks in a lot of ways, but that's a different discussion.
    **** the bots have made it to edmonton.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Tax vacant lots as if they had maximum density development on them.
    Something like this is under proposal now. Or was:

https://edmontonjournal.com/business...of-vacant-lots

Big City Charter...
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Big City Charter...
    Yes, this was the first big step from a legislative perspective...

Going to die unless NDP do it NOW. UCP will NOT be pursuing it - PREDICTION: expect Ford style and view of power controlled by GoA Executive Council.

^Not likely. Ford's consolidation of councillor seats has more to do with settling old scores with former colleagues than trying to achieve 'cost savings'. The Charters for both Edmonton and Calgary have already been drafted and should be ratified soon.

I don't really think that is the case imo dispite what the medit said. I' ll go with a different direction on this. It is more of a realignment to ensure they stay in power through careful strategic crafting where they will ensure voters will vote for them - removing Liberals strong hold. What will he gain if regular voters are angry with him. If they craft their realignment, they'll have enough voters in each of those precincts to drown out anti Doug Ford. This is Donald JR folks.

www.decl.org

This one plus CNIB are the two I most hope to see come to fruition.

I'm really looking forward to this one right now not only for the nice simplicity, but the color will be a much needed addition.

CNIB is definitely important though as once that is up, that part of town will have a mini core feel to Oliver with towers already in constructing mode.

They also had a full page ad in the Journal already...definitely not wasting any time! It will be interesting to see how this impacts the Falcon development.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

This is my favourite development in the city. I really, really hope this goes forward.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Mine are the Encore tower, close 2nd is the Augustana.

I wish ProCura would do something with the Paramont lot. That's just crying for a tower.

But yes, I like the Mackenzie development as well. I like how the renders are in keeping with a similar colour tones to the other buildings nearby.
    Last edited by envaneo; 24-09-2018 at 01:48 PM.

I believe the Paramount lot/adjacent might have changed owners...
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

If that's the case then up in smoke goes the idea of a tower.

I see it being a good sign. Georgeboy would never have built an office tower. Its a prime spot for an office tower or at least mixed use office / condo like Stantec.

I wonder if it would ever be worth while to build sufficient underground parking (one more floor) to accommodate the small surface lot for the Phillips Lofts as part of the Mackenzie building and then have some kind of deal to build a second stage of the podium on the surface lot once the main building is complete? The Philips Loft building tenants would just need some form of access to the parkade and in return they get secure heated parking and the developer gets a free lot to the north.

^I don't think the juice would be worth the squeeze. Even with a larger podium what 'value' does that truly bring to the development. In my opinion it wouldn't be worth it.

The question is, should there be activation on that space. It would be nice if it is imo with a fairly simple effort and solution really.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12