Thread: Nuit Blanche 2018

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Default Nuit Blanche 2018

we're happy to announce our support for this year's nuit blanche on saturday, september 29:

https://www.facebook.com/nuitblanche...22897281272979
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Long Term Contributor

Thanks for supporting Ken!
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

for those starting to think about where they want to go next saturday, september 29:

https://www.nuitblancheedmonton.ca/n...nche-2018-map/

cheapest cover charge in town (all sites free 7:00 pm to 7:00 am).

Just hope the weather finally shapes up. Last I saw, 6 degrees but sunny.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

6C is not an issue, being dry is.
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    6C is not an issue, being dry is.
    totes is your friend...

https://www.totes.com/p/totes-titan-...5m01?color=BLK

As is a forecast without rain or sleet or snow.
    www.decl.org

Tomorrow night!
    Be there.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Setting up Abbey Glen as we speak.
    www.decl.org

Who is all going?
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Is there some kind of shuttle between venues? They're kinda spread around.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Nuit Blanche ETS Service

On Saturday September 29 from 3am to start of service on Sunday September 30,​​​​​​ Late Night Owl Service will have extended hours on routes 1, 8, 9, and 512 (LRT replacement service) for Nuit Blanche - All Night Art Party.
    Extended late-night service will continue every 30 minutes until the regular Sunday bus and LRT service starts on Sunday morning.
    Regular transit fares apply.
    Please Note: Route 4 traveling from Lewis Farms to Capilano will not be extended beyond current Late Night Owl Service schedule.

https://www.edmonton.ca/ets/events.aspx#nuit

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Is there some kind of shuttle between venues? They're kinda spread around.
    part of the magic is moving from one installation/venue to another when there are tens of thousands of others on the streets with you not really going anywhere else because the streets themselves are the destination and are - for one night - being used in a manner that is slightly different. they aren't just connecting destinations, they are becoming performance spaces and audience spaces and foyers and being used in slightly different ways than normal.

edmonton's nuit blanche covers a much smaller footprint than toronto where it is literally impossible to take in everything and where you need to drive from quadrant to another and where even within quadrants people are rushing so much to get from one installation to the next in order to cram as much in as possible that it's not nearly as social and sociable as it is here.

go... enjoy... i'd love to hear your impressions afterwards but take your time - it's interesting to just people watch over the course of the event starting with families with young children to a an older before and after the concert crowd to the late night crowd to the early morning risers. some of the best moments are early the morning after - no one expects everyone to be there for 12 solid hours but lots of people spend some time in the evening and then return early the following morning.

Anyone going to "The Great One's Back" at the AGA?

Not quite as awesome as the Nuit Blanche from 3 years ago, but still awesome.

Would have thought about it except for the weather. For some reason I find temps around freezing this time of year (due to humidity) more uncomfortable than -20 dry cold. Another chilling thing was another stabbing attack late night at MWTC this past week. We would have taken transit but leery about doing so until the city does put security in place.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^ Coming up with excuses...

I wen't and agree with SDM, the event was not as good as the last one. Having said that, there were some good exhibits and the attendance was fantastic. To me, the light cloud exhibit beside Ken Cantor's Primerva construction site was the best exhibit. The find Bob was also a good exhibit but it didn't need to be shown at two sites. The steam roller art exhibit near 124th street was attended when I was driving towards downtown but empty when I left. It was too far away to make the walk worth it. I also saw some fireworks in the distance from the base of the CN tower. Does anyone know what those fireworks were about?
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    ^ Coming up with excuses...

I wen't and agree with SDM, the event was not as good as the last one. Having said that, there were some good exhibits and the attendance was fantastic. To me, the light cloud exhibit beside Ken Cantor's Primerva construction site was the best exhibit. The find Bob was also a good exhibit but it didn't need to be shown at two sites. The steam roller art exhibit near 124th street was attended when I was driving towards downtown but empty when I left. It was too far away to make the walk worth it. I also saw some fireworks in the distance from the base of the CN tower. Does anyone know what those fireworks were about?
    Excuse me? The #8 bus is the most violent bus in the City of Edmonton. It has the most incidents of any run in the city and especially late night. (Doesn't help that its a Millwoods to Abbotsfield run) Abbotsfield being arguably the worst area in the city. You literally can't go on a #8 bus without disturbances and some anxiety producing passengers being on board. I'm a large man saying this. This is a run where people routinely look over their shoulders when getting off at any stop to see who is behind them. This is a significant problem the city just isn't addressing adequately. In the last couple weeks we've seen two major incidents with people being critically stabbed. The last one a bus driver. The Bus union is certainly taking this issue seriously, the City should be.

People in my area have complained and been concerned about the #8 bus for decades. its an ongoing problem and its the primary route from MWTC. Go on a #8 anytime at midnight or later and see if there aren't problems.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Would have thought about it except for the weather. For some reason I find temps around freezing this time of year (due to humidity) more uncomfortable than -20 dry cold. Another chilling thing was another stabbing attack late night at MWTC this past week. We would have taken transit but leery about doing so until the city does put security in place.
    I hear you on other angles.

For those that attended, how far of a distances between the average venues, and what your thoughts could have been to mitigated thatproblem?
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 30-09-2018 at 04:24 PM.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Not quite as awesome as the Nuit Blanche from 3 years ago, but still awesome.
    there is no question that it's always hard to repeat the magic of a first time happening, particularly with the star power with which it was held but many of the things that made the first one a success seem to have been successfully replicated last night even with half of downtown seemingly being torn up at the moment.

i happen to be in toronto this weekend and had an opportunity to see some of their nuit blanche while having to miss ours. based on some of the photos i’ve seen and some of the things i've read, we watched toronto walk to first base while todd janes and susan pointe and the rest of their board and committee members and volunteers served up a home run for edmonton.

they all earned a well-deserved thank you for all of their work and for doing it right! i can't wait to be able to support and attend the next one.

Thanks for that input. I have always been proud of our city's creative minds. We truly thrive in this area like no other city can in Canada.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Thanks for that input. I have always been proud of our city's creative minds. We truly thrive in this area like no other city can in Canada.

No other city in Canada, really? wow..

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

yes, really...

there’s quite a legacy here from tommy banks and joe shoctor and the yardbird and sctv and the u of a’s fine arts and sculpture (faculty and grads) and holger petersen’s stony plain records and ckua etc. etc. etc. that truly does accomplish many things better than any other city in canada.

that’s not to take away from things being done elsewhere or to say that other cities don’t do some things better than we do but all in all we do some pretty special things here and we do them really well.

Add on to other factors such as hosting events where we set the standards to be copied by others. The last legacy was the Outdoor NHL. It may not have been the first outdoor game, but we intrduced the concept to the NHL. Everyone was envy of that...

Which was actually inspired by the "Cold War" between Michigan State University and the University of Michigan two years earlier. The Oilers may have introduced the outdoor concept to the NHL but they weren't the first. And the "Cold War" drew over 75,000 fans.

Understandably hence why my statement was written in that way. But did the game the colleges hosted transpired to anything afterward? No! We took that and expanded a BETTER concept to reflect and honored the game in a meaningful manner. I'll let you reflect on that...

As per your statement, I'm not quite sure if you intended an add on, but, from what I read, you're on the negative spiral as always. If you can, look at life the other way. I'd love to read something constructive or positive from you at some point as everything is just shrouded by pure darkness from your mind. At least I feel that when I read all your comments.
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 30-09-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Oh FFS. I was just pointing out that the Oilers didn't create the idea. Sure, they were the first professional team to play outside but that's like saying that the first commercial pilot was the first to fly instead of Orville Wright. Or that Edmonton created the Fringe instead of Edinburgh.

And what did the game the colleges lead to? Well, the Oilers took notice and came up with the idea of playing outdoors two years later. So I guess you can say that they did.
    Last edited by kkozoriz; 30-09-2018 at 11:11 PM.

And where in my statement did I say such thing? Your problem is not being able to comprehend to what people say or don't ask for clarification then you subtle accuse them of saying something else. What is one to think? Re read that original statement as I also didn't state the Oilers originated that. The problem is you enjoy fabricating to argue plain and simple. I'm trying to give the city and its cultural roots credit, but you have
    e to twist things around don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

yes, really...

there’s quite a legacy here from tommy banks and joe shoctor and the yardbird and sctv and the u of a’s fine arts and sculpture (faculty and grads) and holger petersen’s stony plain records and ckua etc. etc. etc. that truly does accomplish many things better than any other city in canada.

that’s not to take away from things being done elsewhere or to say that other cities don’t do some things better than we do but all in all we do some pretty special things here and we do them really well.

Good for you, to feel this way. Thumbs up!

Yep, when it comes to arts and culture, we punch way above our weight.

Wish I had names, but that's what I hear from people visiting.

First time at NB and was really impressed, not just by the installations themselves, but just the general buzz

Having tens of thousands of angry football and 18k happy Oilers fans didn't hurt business.

But, for me, a little too spread out. Partly my fault as I didn't know about the late night ETS service.
    ... gobsmacked

Thought that it was very well done, if not needing perhaps 2-3 more 'connecting' pieces. Good crowds till I left around 1am and an Oilers/Winspear crowd who stumbled upon it.

A huge thank you to all of the partners, sponsors, venues, volunteers.
    www.decl.org