Thread: 99 st and 90-91 Ave | 6 Storey Condo | Proposed

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default 99 st and 90-91 Ave | 6 Storey Condo | Proposed

Looks like Beljan is teaming with 18th Floor Developments for a condo along 99 st from 90-91 Ave (currently some houses, duplex, apartment building). 1 floor of underground parking, up to 87 units, rooftop area and indoor bicycle parking. My disappointment is seeing that there won't be any retail in the building. So far the reaction from the community (Old Strathcona), has been pretty positive overall, with some comments that it could look nicer (a rendering can be seen on the 18th Floor site: https://www.18thfloor.com/projects)

Description from 18th Floor:

Located on the North East corner of 99th Street and 90th Avenue in Edmonton, Alberta this site totals 26,157sqft. We are currently rezoning the site to accommodate a 6 storey, 85-90 unit purpose built rental apartment building with amenities that include a rooftop terrace with unobstructed views of the downtown and river valley. We see this as a marquee site and look forward to bringing something unique to the Edmonton market and the community of Mill Creek. Check back for an updated rendering and project specific website as we progress.
    ChrisD, anything to add here?
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Edmonton needs to work on its "ground-orientated friendliness".
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

C2E Long Term Contributor
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^^
    Absolutely, but in order for ground level to work, regular citizens have to play their part. We keep on having to battle NIMBYISM. Ground level works when there is a mass, but we can't do that when people choose to sprawl. Far distance from the epicentre prevents people coming in as it is too far away. The span of distance is also a disruption to connectivity to each other, and, as such, we become distance from each other. Gossip about good restaurants and hot spots is harder to relay due to that distance.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    finally, an upgrade that the remand deserves

Ground-oriented units. Townhomes. Zoning. By-law. Mature city. Friendly streets.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Maybe it's just the bad quality render, but it's hard to believe Beljan would put their name with that.
    'could look nicer' is a bit of an understatement.

The physical design is very decent; the color application is spot on, but i don't care for the choice of their color scheme. It is too dark, depressing, and constrains the design. The color and the structure's articulates seem to be battling each other; IMO, I would have the dark grey reversed with the white if they prefer this color pallett, and, even then, there's not much improvement at all. My honest opinion is that it has to be much lighter in colors. I love that dark grey, but, in this design, it needs to be used sparingly. The whole outfit needs to much lighter overall whether that means rethinking colours? Overall it is nice. Some might think it is ugly, but given the location and market, this is your average blue collar area.

I'm not sure I'd call Old Strathcona "blue collar." Certainly not east of 99 st.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

I've worked and friends have worked with fairly banal architects with expensive construction and land and moderate income rentals and we've made buildings with beter design than this. Its possible. But what made us implement these design was complying to zoning by-laws.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I'm not sure I'd call Old Strathcona "blue collar." Certainly not east of 99 st.
    Definitely not. $800k duplexes and million/multi-million dollar homes going in there. It’s a nice neighbourhood with some unique little quirks

C2E SME

So what lot is this planned for?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

It's this entire block, from 90 to 91 aves.

Studio On The Hill just opened on 91 Ave a couple of years ago, so it doesn't make sense to rework/demolish so soon.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'm not sure what you mean. This location isn't where Studio on the Hill is. That's on the West side of 99 st, and this is on the East side.

This development would be Keaton House (91 Ave and 99 St), and south to The House Company house, and the white house along 90 Ave. You can see exactly what's involved by looking at the Streetview below:

https://goo.gl/maps/K3rnUvBuunr

Thanks for clarifying.

Just a few notes to add to this conversation.

Beljan is only assisting 18th Floor with the rezoning.

The plans as shown on 18th Floor's website are evolving.

There may be some consideration to add some retail on the main floor.

Thanks for the clarification, Chris!

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I was referring to the street area. Even the median income you refer to, it is a small pocket in that area encompassing millwoods ravine; on the average, it is blue collar.

Millwoods ravine? It's a blue collar street? I have no idea what you're trying to say in this thread.

Sorry for the vagueness... I meant, aside from the population above the blue collar that has a small inlet ecompassing from 1/2 a block in from 99 st to millwoods ravine, it is primarily blue collar. I don't know of any white collar zones ,other than blue collars, that has public laundromats. I'm not unfamiliar with the area, not every house in there is all that. Some even look Decrepit in fact. I'm sure your particuliar area is quite nice, and I certainly was not trying to deminish that fact.

^Given the average price of housing in the area it's far from being a 'blue collar' neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    ^Given the average price of housing in the area it's far from being a 'blue collar' neighbourhood.
    Blue collar doesn't equate to needing cheap housing.
    This whole discussion makes no sense. That area is a prime location with high property values regardless of what collar any of the owners are wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Nothing is for blue collar prices. It could be cheap products, and your blue collar still pay extreme prices. The problem is, their wages don't meet up with the high prices.
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 09-09-2018 at 10:46 PM.

Strathcona is actually probably one of the most expensive areas to do infill in. The lack of 50' lots means that the majority of the rebuilds have to be larger than skinny single family and very limited duplexes. I think people are starting to see this judging by some of the redevelopment that has occurred in Strathcona.

I think that had a lot to do with Whyte ave being so close originally. Then the ravine became noticeable. I recall friends living in that area in the late 80s and the area was not all that. Mid 90s was when people made the east side of 99 affluent.