Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Oilers 2018/19 Season

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Interesting. Feel bad for TM, but agree that Hitch is what this festering pile of under-achievers needs right now.
    Concur. A very under performing ,VERY well paid group. We as paying fans deserve WAY better.
    Oh "paying fans eh?" How much are you season tickets worth? Yeah, didn't think so.....but hey - agree on the part that they are "under performing."

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Interesting. Feel bad for TM, but agree that Hitch is what this festering pile of under-achievers needs right now.
    Concur. A very under performing ,VERY well paid group. We as paying fans deserve WAY better.
    Oh "paying fans eh?" How much are you season tickets worth? Yeah, didn't think so.....but hey - agree on the part that they are "under performing."

Wow, Kevin Lowe is that you? You realize that so-called "Tier 2" fans still support the team through the purchase of merchandise, PPV, and many other indirect ways? Seriously, shove that condescending attitude where the sun don't shine!

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by OJR View Post

Wow, Kevin Lowe is that you? You realize that so-called "Tier 2" fans still support the team through the purchase of merchandise, PPV, and many other indirect ways? Seriously, shove that condescending attitude where the sun don't shine!
    those tier 2 fans are also responsible for all of their radio and television and pay per view revenue...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by edTel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Only the Oilers could draft McDavid and possibly fail to contend for a Stanley Cup for his entire career here. The blame lies with the GM, and, by extension, the owner.
    God, that would be so sad! Let's hope it doesn't come to this!
    I was willing to give Katz the benefit of the doubt when he shook up the club management hiring Nicholson, Chiarelli, Mclellan. These are all good hockey minds but obviously the Old Boys Club is still in the mix and until those ties are broken I see no hope for the franchise.
    Playoffs aren't that big a deal for Katz and the front office as long as they continue to sell out during the regular season. If the Oilers don't make the playoffs, that opens up the arena for something else that they can make money off of. Concerts, etc.

Multiply these numbers by the ticket prices and you'll see that that the team isn't hurting for money. And in a business, it's always about the money.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...h.php?tmi=5632

"Always about the money"

Interesting as well that 36/40 seasons the Oilers org have benefitted from very good attendance. The only 4years they didn't have it there was constant talk of moving the team. The org has leveraged a new arena, multiple refits of the old, and there were still a threat of moving to seattle if the team didn't get the funded arena they wanted.

I like hockey, so I watch. I'm never under any illusion that the Oilers are eternally loyal to Edmonton.

One point of disagreement though. Event dates in May, June, were poor. They didn't fill any dates. Those were empty months mostly.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Then that's a failing of the organization. Northlands managed to get things in the Coliseum even during playoffs. OEG can't sit back and expect people to come to them.

And the Oilers aren't loyal to the city. No sports team is. Was Boston Pizza loyal to Edmonton? Was Shaw? Businesses will go where they think they can make more money or get a better deal. Fans are loyal, misguidedly so in many cases. The team doesn't belong to the fans or the city. And the team owes nothing more to the city than playing a game that the fans are willing to pay for.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by lobbdogg View Post
    ... having a team commitment to defense first contributed to the 2016/2017 team and individual success? Have you been watching the games, or just observing the scoreboard/highlights to form this one dimensional opinion? We've seen over the last decade and more that you can bring in all the different players you want, but unless the team plays the system, individual and team success likely won't be there. Then also look at all the players that leave and go elsewhere and thrive.

Again, I'm not saying that there aren't holes in the lineup, but I'm also saying its not just a simple plug a better player in the hole, and everything will magically be better. Until the group decides they need to play the system night in, night out, they will continue to struggle.

Couldn't agree more. McDavid can get away with stuff nobody else can, but it seems sometimes other players are trying to play the same style, and they get burned. McDavid is an outlier. But the team isn't.

Too much gap between forwards and D, players not coming back all the way, and too many times cheating for offence. There are a few players who skate a lot faster and play with a LOT more energy when they're going North. Draisaitl, for example. I think he's a great player but he's not so good he can cheat the game. If a pass is in your skates you need to stop and make sure you get possession instead of trailing your stick behind you with one hand trying to finesse it. Don't blow the zone on every 50-50 puck.

He's very good, but Draisaitl hasn't hit his ceiling. If Draisaitl learns to play the game the way Toews learned, he'll be the monster he can be, similar to Kopitar at his peak. Or Barkov, right now. There's a beast who plays the right way. He also needs to be an example for his teammates. When you play on the most loaded line in hockey, alongside maybe the best player ever, you should be a plus player.

We can talk about a 200 foot game, but I'm not sure that's as valid as it once was. Still, teams that win play a system with every player buying in 100%, at both ends of the ice. Sometimes it's hard to tell one player from the other.

This team isn't as bad as it looked last season, or at times this year. When they win a couple games, they start to play as if it's going to be easy. Same when they go up a couple. They still haven't learned to lock a game down, and that's essential.

The team that works the hardest usually wins. Hard to keep up for 82 games, but that's the reality. Everyone gets tired, everyone gets sick, and everybody deals with injuries.

If this team was just a little better at finishing on their opportunities, we'd be having a different conversation. But it's so many things, something different every game. When that's happening it means you either don't have the ponies, or you're not playing a consistent, structured game. We'll see which it is, but Hitch may be the best coach to fix this team.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    This team's future is not safe until Chiarelli is fired.
    hopefully part of hitchcock's contract gives him veto power over any trades...
    Gosh, I hope so.

I can't see Hitch trading Strome for Spooner, for example. I think Strome is flat out better. Certainly more responsible. I'd bet Hitch would get Strome's best game out of him. Spooner is more creative offensively, takes more risks, and gets burned a lot. Strikes me as almost an Eberle light. The opposite of the Ken Hitchcock type.

The best thing about Ken Hitchcock is that he makes honest players out of guys. No cheating. Gets the most out of players. He'll tell you exactly what he expects. If you can't do the job, someone else will. Preventing a goal is the same as scoring one.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 24-11-2018 at 04:17 PM.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

C2E Posting Power

Wow, didn't know you and CNR were a couple. Never heard the term "tier 2" before, btw - I haven't spent a nickle on single Oilers game in my life....all been freebies. My point being is that sure - let there be Tier 2, Tier 3 fans - whatever, but don't "pretend" that we're all paying fans....as the previous poster claims he is or that we all are......

C2E Long Term Contributor

Puljujarvi called up by the Oilers.
    At Hitch's request, apparently.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Wow, didn't know you and CNR were a couple. Never heard the term "tier 2" before, btw - I haven't spent a nickle on single Oilers game in my life....all been freebies. My point being is that sure - let there be Tier 2, Tier 3 fans - whatever, but don't "pretend" that we're all paying fans....as the previous poster claims he is or that we all are......

Here's the link to the famous Kevin Lowe conference where he made the same argument you did: https://oilersnation.com/2013/04/15/...types-of-fans/

Kevin Lowe: We have two types of fans: we have paying customers and we have people that watch the game that we still care about but certainly the people that go to the games and support we spend a lot of time talking to them, delivering our message.
    Oilers Nation take on it: On one level, it’s a fair distinction to make. The NHL is very much a gate-driven league, and from a business perspective the most important people to the Oilers are the ones shelling out cash for tickets to every game.
    On another level, it’s a breathtakingly stupid thing to say given that a) the fans that go to the games regularly represent a minority of an extremely large fanbase and b) the fans that aren’t regularly in attendance at Rexall still mean a great deal to the financial fortunes of the team. They’re the people who make the Oilers television rights valuable, they’re the people who buy the majority of the team’s merchandise, and to some non-trivial degree they’re also the people that need to be sold on community involvement in a new arena.
    And therein lies the truth: just because you don't pay to go to an Oilers game doesn't mean that you are not supporting them financially one way or another. They wouldn't be geting the advertising revenues or money for TV rights if the ratings weren't what they are. If you've ever bought so much as an Oilers hat (or any other merchandise) you have financially supported them. And in case you missed it, the city just recently built a brand-spanking new arena for the Oilers downtown, paid for to a non-insignifcant degree with various forms of taxpayer money and other incentives. So yeah, the ways the Oilers benefit financially from their fandom goes far beyond the season-ticket holders.

Don’t worry a million or more fans agree with you. Maclac quit being a dork.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Actually maclac makes sense in his post above. I haven't paid for an Oilers game since the 1980's. I did buy an Oilers orange hat at "Lids" Londonderry mall yesterday. How much of that purchase went to Katz, I don't know or care.

Drumbones, your one of the good ones here but please refrain from calling other posters a dork/names. Just sayin
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Sorry envaneo, he can get under people’s skin at times, though I haven’t had any problems myself. He’s definitely not PRT or kkozoriz. Those two have driven a lot of people out of C2E. It’s been close at times for me but I’m still here. I bought Sonny Boy a Connor Mcdavid shirt for his birthday nov 8. He has an Oilers toque. I recently bought an Oilers cover for my phone, an Oilers trash can, Oilers this oilers that. A truckload of stuff through the years. I attended games from their first days in the Edmonton Gardens. Seasons tickets (4) for many years with my company, other family members as well. Hardly missed a game. Bought tons of food and paid a lot of parking through the years. I lived in different places so it would be radio and tv. I’ve stayed up through the nite to listen online from Vietnam, Philippines, Hong Kong or Taiwan. I’ve watched in sports bars from Costa Rica to Charleston and Ukiah to bourbon st. and Panama City, Chico to Ventura and a hundred other places. I’ve cried many a tear of joy for wins and losses too. I have kind of lived and breathed Oilers since their inception. Doesn’t that account for anything?
    Last edited by Drumbones; 25-11-2018 at 04:57 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That's a lot of backstory there. I can count on one hand how many times I've ssen an Oilers game live, lol.

I'm not Admin or anything, just saying that its not cool to name call.

Ok bro.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Ok bro.
    It's all good.....being called a "dork" doesn't hurt my feelings....lol

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    That's a lot of backstory there. I can count on one hand how many times I've ssen an Oilers game live, lol.

I'm not Admin or anything, just saying that its not cool to name call.
    This Board has Admin/Mods? I don't think so.

Cheap call on McDavid, that kid takes a lot of abuse. I'm not sure firing Todd made much difference
    SPooner?Meh..
    Last edited by H.L.; 26-11-2018 at 02:43 AM.

The 12.5 mil a season covers all that. lol He’s trying very hard that’s for sure, things will improve. Hitchcock will get things going. It will take a bit of adjustment but we gotta have faith. Todd McLellan was likely cheering the Kings on tonight from his Lazyboy. Still getting paid big bucks too for the next two years. If I were him I’d be in Jamaica mon with a tall drink with an umbrella in it soaking up the sun for a while.

Ok bro.
    It's all good.....being called a "dork" doesn't hurt my feelings....lol
    I guess we’ve all been called a lot worse. lol

C2E SME

Boy, the coaching change has sure made a massive difference to performance and results!

Ken Hitchcock may soon be wishing he’d stayed retired.

C2E SME

To Rogers Sportsnet West, please pirate some video footage of downtown from TSN.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    To Rogers Sportsnet West, please pirate some video footage of downtown from TSN.
    No kidding eh!

I think those were taken around 2011 when the Dawson Bridge was being rehabilitated if I'm interpreting correctly the bright lights near the east side of the bridge.

Or to taxpayer supported Edmonton Development Corporation ...(EDC) .... please provide appropriate networks with stock footage?

Jeez EDC, how hard can this be? Bet Global TV would do it for credits. Oh, almost forgot ... EPS has not one, but two choppers, you could get free night-time shots too.
    ... gobsmacked

Or to taxpayer supported Edmonton Development Corporation ...(EDC) .... please provide appropriate networks with stock footage?

Jeez EDC, how hard can this be? Bet Global TV would do it for credits. Oh, almost forgot ... EPS has not one, but two choppers, you could get free night-time shots too.
    I'm guessing Sportsnet have cameras. Maybe we should all take videos of downtown with our phones and send it to them, to show it's possible.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

I'm guessing Sportsnet have cameras. Maybe we should all take videos of downtown with our phones and send it to them, to show it's possible.
    I'm guessing Mike Sobel could use a new pic of Downtown on his weather map - looks like circa 1985 when Canada Place just opened. Or how about CTV's weather 3D map - NO Enbridge, COE, Stantec or Marriott.....

Wow. Quite the ending. Had to score twice in overtime to get it. lol. On the edge of my seat for the whole game. Hitchcock’s first game at home is a winner.

...looks like we have a new #1...
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

In which case we are seriously over-paying the back-up.

Hrrrm, not that PC hasn't done that before!
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by K364 View Post
    I watched that. Maybe one or two missed calls - max. The high stick was missed. The rest happen dozens of time each game.

If you did the same kind of video featuring one of the slower Oilers you'd see the same thing going the other way.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I'm not so sure about that, past this year anyways. It's a shame that Talbot's cratered so badly, he looked so solid a couple years back. Good thing they didn't extend him after last season to get him on the cheap. Koskinen looks pretty good right now, but he's very much an unknown quantity for the rest of the league. Teams do a ton of scouting on goalie weaknesses, and apparently he's got a few that can and likely will be exploited. His glove hand and technique are apparently very weak.

In any case, goalies are voodoo, and Carey Price is an excellent example of why you should never sign one long term for big dollars. At the time most everyone was like "oh yeah, he's worth it!" 18 months later, not so much.

The good news is that the Oilers don't have a lot of dollars or term invested in the position, and have a lot of flexibility going forward. The bad news is that they don't really have anyone in the pipeline that would be any help in the next season or two. There's a couple good prospects, but they're likely 2-3 seasons away.

It will be interesting to see what will happen this summer when both goalies are pending UFAs. I imagine Talbot will get re-signed, and based on his recent track record he likely will not be asking for the moon in terms of dollars and term. Koskinen - who knows?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I'm not so sure about that, past this year anyways. It's a shame that Talbot's cratered so badly, he looked so solid a couple years back. Good thing they didn't extend him after last season to get him on the cheap. Koskinen looks pretty good right now, but he's very much an unknown quantity for the rest of the league. Teams do a ton of scouting on goalie weaknesses, and apparently he's got a few that can and likely will be exploited. His glove hand and technique are apparently very weak.

In any case, goalies are voodoo, and Carey Price is an excellent example of why you should never sign one long term for big dollars. At the time most everyone was like "oh yeah, he's worth it!" 18 months later, not so much.

The good news is that the Oilers don't have a lot of dollars or term invested in the position, and have a lot of flexibility going forward. The bad news is that they don't really have anyone in the pipeline that would be any help in the next season or two. There's a couple good prospects, but they're likely 2-3 seasons away.
    Price is actually playing great right now - his best in a couple seasons. But the team has a pretty weak D (though having Weber back will help a lot). The opposite of the kind of team playing in front of him during his best seasons.

I agree - Paying a ton of money long term to a goalie is a bad idea.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Anyone go to the book signing at Audrey's earlier? I think Kevin Lowe and Jason Strudwick were there.

C2E SME

Jimbo, Price is not playing well this year. His save percentage is .897. That's terrible for a starter. Let alone one making 10.5m (actually 15m this season, but his cap hit is 10.5m).

https://thehockeywriters.com/canadie...ance-contract/

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/h...e-need-of-help

I don't think he's washed up by any means and he will likely regain some of his past form. But he will never live up to that contract.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 29-11-2018 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Jimbo=/Jumbo, and cleared up Price's salary/cap

C2E SME

Frank Seravalli absolutely unloaded on PC in this podcast: https://hockeypdocast.com/2018/11/27...-if-you-tried/

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Band aid fixes, Puljujarvi, B level passing, roster construction, Hitch to save PC's job, good pod cast.
    Last edited by envaneo; 29-11-2018 at 01:35 PM.

Frank Seravalli absolutely unloaded on PC in this podcast: https://hockeypdocast.com/2018/11/27...-if-you-tried/
    I definitely agree that at this point PC needs to go, but listening to that podcast I got quite irritated with their "the Oilers need to take the long view, even if that means short-term pain" line. I would have absolutely agreed with that 10 years ago, but there is only so much "we are rebuilding" that the organization can ask the fans to swallow. Good luck trying to tell the fans "we totally pinky-swear promise that in a few years we'll be a contender!" Bullsh!t! After so many years of rebuilding there is zero excuse why the Oilers can't be a contender NOW, especially with the best player of a generation. Look at where the Leafs are at in Year 3 of their rebuild!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

At the beginning of last year, after the Eberle trade and with basically this roster, he predicted they would win the cup. He has zero credibility in my eyes. Easy to take shots after the fact.

C2E SME

Most prognosticators were listing the Oilers as being one of the top 5 teams that year and thought they'd come out of the West. Seravalli was far from alone in getting caught up in the hype of the run the previous spring.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Most prognosticators were listing the Oilers as being one of the top 5 teams that year and thought they'd come out of the West. Seravalli was far from alone in getting caught up in the hype of the run the previous spring.
    last year's season and management approach was not unlike 2007/08 - drastically overvaluing the team and its ability based on the previous year's overperformance and then watching as the real world intruded.

I definitely agree that at this point PC needs to go, but listening to that podcast I got quite irritated with their "the Oilers need to take the long view, even if that means short-term pain" line. I would have absolutely agreed with that 10 years ago, but there is only so much "we are rebuilding" that the organization can ask the fans to swallow. Good luck trying to tell the fans "we totally pinky-swear promise that in a few years we'll be a contender!" Bullsh!t! After so many years of rebuilding there is zero excuse why the Oilers can't be a contender NOW, especially with the best player of a generation. Look at where the Leafs are at in Year 3 of their rebuild!
    What the Oilers need from their GM: Someone who gets good players, and keeps good players. Someone who doesn't sign depreciating assets for exorbitant or inflated sums (Lucic, Russell, Kassian, etc). Someone who doesn't burn valuable cap space on questionable buyouts (Pouliot, Gryba). And, above all, someone who doesn't find himself (or herself!) on losing sides of major trades (Hall, Eberle, Reinhart). At this point Chiarelli has truly boxed the organization into a bad corner, cap-wise. Even an above-average GM would have trouble undoing a lot of his damage in the short term, I'm afraid.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Jimbo, Price is not playing well this year. His save percentage is .897. That's terrible for a starter. Let alone one making 10.5m (actually 15m this season, but his cap hit is 10.5m).

I don't think he's washed up by any means and he will likely regain some of his past form. But he will never live up to that contract.
    I watch every game. He's playing great, right now. Not earlier. The Habs defensive structure is abysmal. GOA doesn't tell the story.

As I already stated, I don't think it's a great idea to give any goalie a huge long-term contract.

Wow. Quite the ending. Had to score twice in overtime to get it. lol. On the edge of my seat for the whole game. Hitchcock’s first game at home is a winner.
    Here is the cam the NHL used. It all depends on the angle, especially if the puck isn't flat.

Instagram

That is a gif of the video, which clearly dropped frames. If that's the justification it's garbage.

Hiring new head coach solves nothing
    Trading solves nothing, so why is that?

you see Oilers have many good players but they didn't step their game to prove that they are worth the money they got from Katz. Players don't need to make too much money if they don't play good.

you see in the 50's and 60's most players are paid only less than $30,000 and they did play good and fans were happy but today, the players are just screaming for more money for what reason? some are worth it and some doesn't worth it. I felt sorry for the owners that they got suckered for paying them way too much money for a wrong reason.

By the time, they retired, they are millionaires and living a good life living somewhere else in Canada or America. same with NFL right now.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Oilers win again!

Nice

I turned the game off when LA scored to make it 3-2, so I was REALLY confused when I checked the score later and saw the Oilers won it 3-2. Thankfully I was able to rewind the DVR and watch it.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

I watch every game. He's playing great, right now. Not earlier. The Habs defensive structure is abysmal. GOA doesn't tell the story.

As I already stated, I don't think it's a great idea to give any goalie a huge long-term contract.
    I said save percentage, not goals against. And it's sitting at .892 in his last five games. So no, he is not playing great recently either.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm happy they won. Lots of fans I know suspect PC will be gone summer 2019 if the Oilers don't make the playoffs.

McDavid, get a haircut.

So, last night I shut the game off when LA scored to make it 3-2. I was VERY confused when I checked the score awhile later to see the Oilers won the game 3-2. I actually checked multiple places because it didn't make sense, then I went back on the PVR to see that they ruled the play off-side. Nice to see the Oilers actually get a video review in their favor.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

True, and most of the sports writers are bandwagon jumpers without doing any real analysis. I read our local sports writers daily, Lowtide, Bruce McCURDY and David Staples and they were all very concerned after last summer. Trading Eberle and not replacing his scoring, not dealing with sekera’s injury were major concerns for them and they questioned PC’s wisdom at the time. Within weeks of the start of last season Sarevelli had changed his opinion and had jumped off the bandwagon.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    So, last night I shut the game off when LA scored to make it 3-2. I was VERY confused when I checked the score awhile later to see the Oilers won the game 3-2. I actually checked multiple places because it didn't make sense, then I went back on the PVR to see that they ruled the play off-side. Nice to see the Oilers actually get a video review in their favor.
    Two in one game, even! If they'd taken back JP's goal because The Drake clipped the goalie's stick while both were outside of the crease I may have been forced to write a strongly worded letter.

I'm happy they won. Lots of fans I know suspect PC will be gone summer 2019 if the Oilers don't make the playoffs.

McDavid, get a haircut.
    I like his hair. I’d also like to see an Oiler or two with long beards like the Sharks

It was good to see the oilers did not lose their confidence when things started go against them. Previously they would have collapsed.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Last five games 7 of a possible 10 points so that’s ok. I think we will just see improvement from here on in.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Even at 5th in the Division, Oilers are playing 500+ hockey.

In Calgary LA kept the Flames from scoring a 4 minute penalty. Most of it was 4 on 4 but still.

Another win by the Oil! Spooner finally gets a point, nay a goal.

Excellent coaching. Isn’t it wonderful. When have we ever had that? Winning percentage under McL. .475, so far under Hitch .765. GAA under M 3.30 under H 2.2. PP under M 20.6% under H 36.4%. A good start.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 02-12-2018 at 01:12 AM.

I love what Hitch has been able to do but Todd is a very good coach. Sometimes a fresh voice is what is needed. Let’s hope they continue on this roll.

Has anyone heard what he’s up to? (TM)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I love what Hitch has been able to do but Todd is a very good coach. Sometimes a fresh voice is what is needed. Let’s hope they continue on this roll.
    And TM is an excellent person as well.

I’m sure he is. Seemed like a guy you would like to sit down and have a beer with.

TM is a great guy but some of his on ice decisions were baffling. Sticking Lucic on the top powerplay and top line, not calling timeouts, overplaying Talbot.

The Lucic decision may have come from above, I’m sure PC had I put into how he was being used. New coach, different circumstances, now he is being used in the proper spot.

Koskinen had no NHL history prior to this year, Todd was coaching for his job, had to stick with what he knew.

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

EVERY ticket, every service fee,every drink, You get it. WE have paid plenty toward this club in many form including the money the city put into Rogers. One does NOT require season tickets to be called a paying fan.As for MY season tix?They come one game at a time.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That's 3 in a row for the 3rd time this season. I was really impressed the way RNH played last night. Draisaitl had a few good looks and a good scoring opportunity. Oilers broke Vegas's scoring streak. Look out for Dallas Monday.

That McDavid goal was nuts.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ His 2nd opportunity was pretty decent as well. Didn't McDavid set up Spooner's goal?

C2E SME

Koskinen in Top 10 of save percentage:

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...5-7fa8fbda7dd6
    Last edited by The_Cat; 03-12-2018 at 12:12 AM.

^ His 2nd opportunity was pretty decent as well. Didn't McDavid set up Spooner's goal?
    No.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Kosinen in Top 10 of save percentage:

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...5-7fa8fbda7dd6
    there’s 4 k’s in mikko’s name...

C2E SME

^Sorry, I meant Koskinen.

So now Pontus Aberg is a scoring star for the Ducks. How does that happen and what did we get in the trade.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

So now Pontus Aberg is a scoring star for the Ducks. How does that happen and what did we get in the trade.
    we got aberg by trading away letestu and we lost aberg on waivers getting nothing.

C2E SME

Chiasson is a hell of a good pickup.

The Oilers also picked up Zykov on waivers from Carolina.

Not much fun watching the game tonight.

C2E SME

The McDavid-less Oilers are something to behold, that's for sure. Tough situation being down a forward/center outright, but even that considered it's pretty obvious that the team without McDavid is awful.

The team WITH McDAvid is 27th in scoring.

Prior to last night the top 5 goal scorers on the Oilers had 51 of the teams goals.

The rest of the line up combined had 19, now 20..

Last night we had 4 players in the lineup with more than 2 goals. 2 of those are named Caggiulia and Chiasson, guys that wouldn't be on the topsix on many teams.

Conversely Dallas Stars have 11 players in the lineup with more than 2 goals.

The way its tracking we might have only 5 players on the whole club who end up being even double digits in goals and 3 of those have already arrived. After that its a snail derby.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Oilers in Dallas had something to do with Dallas's win. I'd be surprised to see the Oilers win 4 consecutive wins this season.

Don't know if McDavid will be in the line up in St. Louis.

Just watched Kevin Karios. McD is in for StLou. I hope he doesn’t push it. Remember last season he got sick and kept playing and it took its toll.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That's good but because Koskinen didn't play well last game, and St. Louis is a "weaker team," in the West, my guess is Talbot in net. Translation: Oilers loss. I hope I'm wrong.

St. Louis is 2nd-last in the league, just above Los Angeles, who beat the Oilers.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Despite the stats there is parity in the league and each game requires a 100% effort regardless of the opponent

C2E SME

Cam Talbot gets his 100th win, and the Oilers beat St. Louis 3-2 in the shootout!

Great to see the comeback and Nuge and McD made their goals in the shootout look easy. Nice.

Cam Talbot gets his 100th win, and the Oilers beat St. Louis 3-2 in the shootout!
    Ahh, I saw someone scooping the puck after the shootout, and I wasn't sure why.

With 4.3 seconds left in the game and a face-off in the Winnipeg end why didn't Hitchcock pull the goalie for an extra forward?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Because the Jets had momentum and the risk was to high.

Because 1 point is better than 0 points, and it's not impossible to win the draw and shoot it down. 4.3 would be very tight, but still possible.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

If I recall wasn't it in the 2nd period that the Jets scored 1 pass from a face off to score?

^In the Oilers end.

Maybe 4.3 was just too much to chance it, given the Oilers lack of a strong face-off guy.

Hitchcock is the worst thing to happen to this team since the 2006 cup run. Any success he has will prevent the necessary organizational change occurring. I hope McDavid has a gentle (long term but highly recoverable) injury that prevents him from playing for this crap franchise for the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Hitchcock is the worst thing to happen to this team since the 2006 cup run. Any success he has will prevent the necessary organizational change occurring. I hope McDavid has a gentle (long term but highly recoverable) injury that prevents him from playing for this crap franchise for the rest of the season.
    Spoken like a true Calgarian

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Todd McClellan?

The Oilers have 17/22 points in their games under Hitchcock. That's 72%

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast