Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Oilers 2018/19 Season

C2E Hard Core Contributor

You are right

^The Oilers really need to get lucky with a $1-2m backup goalie or two who end up outplaying their contracts.

That's a tall f*$king order.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Prepare for some Oilers moves in the next 7-10 days. Sekera was sent down to Bakersfield for conditioning and I believe has to be called up within 10 days. So either they are "showcasing" him to move him or there will be Talbot trade or Manning waiving, which will let the Oilers bury him in the minors.

I'd rather C2E than work!

They only need to free up $200k in cap space due to how it's pro-rated, so it might not be a big move. Could be as small as trading a low contract hit for a pick.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    The Koskinen contract is likely to significantly hamper the ability of the next GM to turn this thing around in a timely fashion (provided they are actually capable). My one glimmer of hope as Chia continued to downgrade the roster was that other than Lucic, most of the dead weight and bad contracts would come due in the next 1 or 2 seasons. A competent GM would have cap space and assets to work with in a pretty short period of time. However, committing #1 goalie money for 3 years to such an unproven commodity puts some pretty major handcuffs on the next GM.
    Yep. The Koski contract promises to be the worst because its the one position that can't be hidden in the lineup or sheltered. If Lucic is struggling and not commensurate with contract you can park him in bottomsix and get some kind of contribution from him without hurting the club. Just not possible to do that with a goalie paid starting wage. In a capped league this contract could be very problematic.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    They only need to free up $200k in cap space due to how it's pro-rated, so it might not be a big move. Could be as small as trading a low contract hit for a pick.
    Klefbom and Sekera both coming back so they will need to make a move. They've only got $51,000 is cap space right now.

C2E SME

I think GM Gretzky is going to be making a lot of calls tomorrow.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Sure Draisaitl looks good getting two goals, but unless he decides to commit himself to defensive zone coverage he's a negative. I pin a lot of the fault on him for letting the Hawks back in the game.

His effort on the tying goal is unacceptable. Matched up against Chicago's 4th line. Effectively gives up on the board battle, and starts blowing the zone (again!) before they had clear possession. I'm sick of him getting a pass for plays like that, while everybody dumps on the players making a fraction of his pay.

Did a complete fly-by one the go-ahead goal.

He needs to be setting an example beyond padding his stats. It appears he is, and it's not a good one.

It's like two different guys, a fierce competitor in the offensive zone, and a slower and more lumbering version of Lucic, in his own zone.

I'm starting to believe those accusing him of sulking when he doesn't get to play with McDavid.

Compare his effort with Toews, and it's night and day.

2nd star? What a load of horse poop.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 05-02-2019 at 11:23 PM.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Five goals in the 3rd period? That tying goal was horrible.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    I wonder if there's an issue with conditioning? They can't keep up with the pace of today's game for a full 3 periods. Out of gas.

Understandable for Klefbom.

The gap given up by defencemen backing up too far is ridiculous, and so easy to spot if you're coming from watching another game.

There's also too big a gap between the forwards and D, too often. I swear one shift I saw a 5 man "Jultz" - everybody bent over reaching way out front.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Sure Draisaitl looks good getting two goals, but unless he decides to commit himself to defensive zone coverage he's a negative. I pin a lot of the fault on him for letting the Hawks back in the game.

His effort on the tying goal is unacceptable. Matched up against Chicago's 4th line. Effectively gives up on the board battle, and starts blowing the zone (again!) before they had clear possession. I'm sick of him getting a pass for plays like that, while everybody dumps on the players making a fraction of his pay.

He needs to be setting an example beyond padding his stats. It appears he is, and it's not a good one.

It's like two different guys, a fierce competitor in the offensive zone, and a slower and more lumbering version of Lucic, in his own zone.

I'm starting to believe those accusing him of sulking when he doesn't get to play with McDavid.

Totally agree. Both Draisaitl and McDavid often have poor plus/minus in games where they are getting 2 or 3 points. I thought Hitch had them playing two-way hockey but that has evaporated.

And yet, on a bone-chilling night they pretty well manage to fill the place. Either I don't 'get' passion, or this team is just plain lucky to be in Edmonton.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Ummm...hard to take you seriously with that comment.

Lucic can only play at NHL pace for 20 seconds at a time, it's unbelievable.

Draisaitl is an upgrade over Eberle only that he gets more points on offense. On D, they're pretty similar. On pace for 100 pts, he's probably still valued at 8M. Though how much of those points are just because he's playing with 97.

Lucic's play I believe actually hurts the team on the ice. Can the team not send him to the minors (After likely clearing waivers. And if he's picked up......win.), a la Wade Redden? You're committed to the salary, fine. He can't play here. Malone or Benson could do what he's doing.
    This 'bad' play from the Oiler D isn't unique here. Did you happen to catch Muzzin in the Leafs/Ducks game? Yes, a goal and two assists but he was flat out beat or caught out of position numerous times. The forwards are continuing to get quicker and the league D haven't followed yet or at least not at the same rate. Look for more Victor Mete's or Ethan Bears on lineups. More mobility and positioning, less 'punish you in front of the net' types. Easy to neutralize a Lucic in the neutral zone or earlier. Though some would argue just let him handle the puck, there's no threat. lol

(This post isn't implying Lucic is at fault for last night's game. Just some musings)
    Last edited by bpeters; 06-02-2019 at 09:00 AM.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Speaking of a load of ****. Drai was double teamed on that goal. So he didn't win the puck in an outmanned situation. Still, the puck went DIRECTLY to Rieder, who somehow didn't handle it, and deflects it right to a hawk and they go onto score quickly. Nor is Drai blowing the zone. I encourage you to watch the different camera angles on that goal again. Drai moves in position for a breakout pass as he see's the puck RIGHT ON Reiders stick. I'm sure he's surprised as anyone that Rieder handles that puck like a grenade and lets it bounce off his stick instead of possessing that puck.

I do agree with the flyby comment. He needs to get that out of his game along with 80% of this lineup. But what is Klefbom or any of the D doing on that play. Kane stick checks Klef, who was right on the puck, and deftly scored. Klef was owned on that play.

compare Drais effort with Toews? lmfao. You mean the Toews that has been ordinary the past few seasons and had to work hard to even find his game again? The Toews playing on a SC calibre team that has had his premium game disappear for an extrended period?

Drai was +4 before last nights game and among the best +/= on the team. Over the last several months his GA are down. He made several outstanding D plays on the road trip and in this game. he was the best Oilers last night, by a mile. But this is the player you single handedly blame for the loss in a game where hardly anybody else showed up.

What a specious take on the game last night.
    Last edited by Replacement; 06-02-2019 at 09:26 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I wonder if there's an issue with conditioning? They can't keep up with the pace of today's game for a full 3 periods. Out of gas.

Understandable for Klefbom.

The gap given up by defencemen backing up too far is ridiculous, and so easy to spot if you're coming from watching another game.

There's also too big a gap between the forwards and D, too often. I swear one shift I saw a 5 man "Jultz" - everybody bent over reaching way out front.
    Hitch is playing McDrai an untenable amount of minutes. By 3rd periods they have less left. Not sure if anybody is noting it but the pair, even in 3 on 3 OT now look exhausted there now. Hitch is shortening the bench even more than Mclellan was. Simply too much of the weight on this club is falling to McDrai and even the bloody penalty kill.

As far as gap control 2 of the goals last night were caused simply by D backing up too much and looking paralyzed out there (but again fatigued) In both instances Nurse, and then Larsson are in position to get their stick in the way of the pass or shot. All they have to do is get their blade on that like better D do. They even have sticks in position to do that but don't do it because they are backing in too much.

I must be lucky. Watched the first two periods on WGN and then - still don't know why - switched channels. Switched back for a nano-second to see it was 5-2 and moved on.

Don't think I'll bother at all now.
    ... gobsmacked

I think they are aa very fragile team. As soon as the tying goal went it the whole team deflated you could see it in their body language. Also there was no secondary scoring if MD Drai aren’t scoring no one is.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

He is the least of this team’s problems. He is one of only 3 guys producing on this team. He should score close to a 100 points this season. Let’s run him down like we did Eberle, Hall, Schultz.....the list goes on.

There should be concern with how Leon and Connor are being continually blitzed post game to answer for this team. Connor last night was looking first close to tears and very quickly turned to anger at the questions asked. Both of these guys are carrying the team night after night with little help and both are having to answer for the sad sack results of the lineup Chiarelli put together.

This is still not done imploding.

Remember when Chia was on his last legs and the org let him trade Caggiula for Manning.

Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Remember when Chia was on his last legs and the org let him trade Caggiula for Manning.

Good times.
    So many Oilers fans were cheering that goal last night by Cagg. Even all the players on this team were wishing Cagg well and he was well liked, and on "friend" level with Connor.

You know your GM is trolling the org when he trades a useful friend for a useless enemy and does a premature and overpriced contract extension of Koskinen.

Even the Strome for Spooner and subsequent waiving of Spooner (Eberle for Waiver) was eye opening. Chia was seemingly trying to fast track his firing and telling the org to take his credentials, phone, and keys away.

The Colby Cave waiver wire pickup was even Chiarelli's pre firing signature move.

AS other pundits have suggested if Chiarelli had been secretly employed by the Flames or Nucks to deepsix this org, by extension, it would look like this.

This is what trying to fail looks like.

If Walterdale Bridge was built upside down, fell into the river, the project would resemble the Edmonton Oilers operations.
    Last edited by Replacement; 06-02-2019 at 02:22 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

@ Jimbo: Thanks for your comments

The whole team is getting away from KH's vision. The goal where Larson had a chance to clear, the lack of the no goalie interfence call, and Talbot's through the five hole to tie. Good for Caggs to get a goal though.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    Draisaitl is an upgrade over Eberle only that he gets more points on offense. On D, they're pretty similar. On pace for 100 pts, he's probably still valued at 8M. Though how much of those points are just because he's playing with 97.
    Draisaitl and Eberle = apples and oranges
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Speaking of a load of ****. Drai was double teamed on that goal. So he didn't win the puck in an outmanned situation. Still, the puck went DIRECTLY to Rieder, who somehow didn't handle it, and deflects it right to a hawk and they go onto score quickly. Nor is Drai blowing the zone. I encourage you to watch the different camera angles on that goal again. Drai moves in position for a breakout pass as he see's the puck RIGHT ON Reiders stick. I'm sure he's surprised as anyone that Rieder handles that puck like a grenade and lets it bounce off his stick instead of possessing that puck.

I do agree with the flyby comment. He needs to get that out of his game along with 80% of this lineup. But what is Klefbom or any of the D doing on that play. Kane stick checks Klef, who was right on the puck, and deftly scored. Klef was owned on that play.

compare Drais effort with Toews? lmfao. You mean the Toews that has been ordinary the past few seasons and had to work hard to even find his game again? The Toews playing on a SC calibre team that has had his premium game disappear for an extrended period?

Drai was +4 before last nights game and among the best +/= on the team. Over the last several months his GA are down. He made several outstanding D plays on the road trip and in this game. he was the best Oilers last night, by a mile. But this is the player you single handedly blame for the loss in a game where hardly anybody else showed up.

Aren't you the guy always saying +/- is a useless stat? I don't think it is. Benning is currently the best on the team, at +7. Draisaitl, Chiasson, and McDavid are next, at +2. So it obviously doesn't tell the whole story.

Were you watching the same game? Did you see the third period? I was working and missed it, but caught the "highlights". Bruce McCurdy said something along the lines of it being the worst 5 minute stretch of hockey he'd seen any team play, ever. And Draisaitl was on for much of it, including the tying and go-ahead goals that broke their back.

Nobody draped in glory on the tying goal, especially Reider. He never got possession of the puck. But anyone with eyes who doesn't have a bias can see the butter soft flubbity flubbity play of Draisaitl on the boards there. He shroud have knocked that guy on his can. We all know what a real board battle looks like.

When the goal is scored, he's skating the other way. Draisaitl wasn't thinking defence, he was seeing daylight.

That was unacceptable. So was the flyby on the go-ahead.

He's a great player, worth every penny of his contract, but nobody gets a pass on weak defensive play, especially the guys making 10x the money.

Draisaitl needs to be a leader, and lead by example. He appears unhappy when he doesn't get to play with McDavid. The Oilers need him to drive a line, or they are going to lose more than they win. Can he?

Toews is a perfect comparison. Does whatever it takes to win, even when it means sacrificing offence, and stats. Even at his age, with all that wear and tear, he showed a lot more energy and hustle than anyone on the Oilers.

Oh, by the way, when Draisatl is dogging it (perhaps because he's tired), he slumps over, loses his first step, starts to lumber, and the first thing that comes to mind is Lucic, because that's who he looks like due to his size and number. Don't worry, I'm not saying he's another Lucic.

February/March is the toughest period, where teams and players start to fade, or step out. The only good news for the Oilers is there are a few lousy teams in the Division.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Speaking of Reider I really want to cheer for this guy. I'm pretty sure it was recently in Rogers Place Arena but when was his last goal as an Oiler?

@ Jimbo: Thanks for your comments

The whole team is getting away from KH's vision. The goal where Larson had a chance to clear, the lack of the no goalie interfence call, and Talbot's through the five hole to tie. Good for Caggs to get a goal though.
    That's what keeps going through my mind. The way the team played when Hitch came in. There was less of a gap issue between the defence and forwards. When a D backed in too far, or someone made a mistake in the D zone, someone was there with a stick in the lane or a body on a player. Players didn't have time to load up and pick their shot, and lots of shots and passes were broken up with active sticks by guys who were right on someone. Oilers were winning the close games.

Re: someone else's comment: Nobody's trying to run Draisaitl out of town. Jeez. He doesn't get a pass on weak play.

Reider 0 goals in 39 games this season.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Thanks for the update on Reider. He works so hard.

I don't understand why the D has to cave in like they do from the blue line into the offensive zone. They give up so much ice. I like the active sticks in the between the dots and all. Up until the beginning of the 3rd the Oilers were flying. They even had I think it was .27 seconds of pp time remaining. Then Talbot lets in that stinker. Mercifully I'll be at a business meeting to miss tomorrow night's debacle.

Aren't you the guy always saying +/- is a useless stat? I don't think it is. Benning is currently the best on the team, at +7. Draisaitl, Chiasson, and McDavid are next, at +2. So it obviously doesn't tell the whole story.

Were you watching the same game? Did you see the third period? I was working and missed it, but caught the "highlights". Bruce McCurdy said something along the lines of it being the worst 5 minute stretch of hockey he'd seen any team play, ever. And Draisaitl was on for much of it, including the tying and go-ahead goals that broke their back.

Nobody draped in glory on the tying goal, especially Reider. He never got possession of the puck. But anyone with eyes who doesn't have a bias can see the butter soft flubbity flubbity play of Draisaitl on the boards there. He shroud have knocked that guy on his can. We all know what a real board battle looks like.

When the goal is scored, he's skating the other way. Draisaitl wasn't thinking defence, he was seeing daylight.

That was unacceptable. So was the flyby on the go-ahead.

He's a great player, worth every penny of his contract, but nobody gets a pass on weak defensive play, especially the guys making 10x the money.

Draisaitl needs to be a leader, and lead by example. He appears unhappy when he doesn't get to play with McDavid. The Oilers need him to drive a line, or they are going to lose more than they win. Can he?

Toews is a perfect comparison. Does whatever it takes to win, even when it means sacrificing offence, and stats. Even at his age, with all that wear and tear, he showed a lot more energy and hustle than anyone on the Oilers.

Oh, by the way, when Draisatl is dogging it (perhaps because he's tired), he slumps over, loses his first step, starts to lumber, and the first thing that comes to mind is Lucic, because that's who he looks like due to his size and number. Don't worry, I'm not saying he's another Lucic.

February/March is the toughest period, where teams and players start to fade, or step out. The only good news for the Oilers is there are a few lousy teams in the Division.
    Wait, you didn't even watch the game, saw none of the first two periods where Drai was a dominant force with 5 scoring chances, 2 goals, and setup 10 other quality chances that nobody cashed. You didn't see that, but you saw GA hilites and two sequences where Drai is on ice and thus single him out entirely, say him being a star in the game was bogus, because your view not seeing the game was superior..

Next time let me know something like that BEFORE I bother responding.

Yes, I actually watched the game that you didn't.

Wait, you didn't even watch the game, saw none of the first two periods where Drai was a dominant force with 5 scoring chances, 2 goals, and setup 10 other quality chances that nobody cashed. You didn't see that, but you saw GA hilites and two sequences where Drai is on ice and thus single him out entirely, say him being a star in the game was bogus, because your view not seeing the game was superior..

I watched the first two periods, but only caught the 3rd in dtmts extended "highlights". I regularly watch more than one game on any given night. I couldn't believe it when I saw the final score.

I get it that Draisaitl is your guy. He's a terrific player.

But he's not above criticism for soft play in the defensive zone, especially when it leads to backbreaking goals. Nobody is. The tying goal and the 4-2 goal were soft plays.

These are important games. Meaningful games (though, of course, they all are). Might as well be the playoffs.

I watched the first two periods, but only caught the 3rd in dtmts extended "highlights". I regularly watch more than one game on any given night. I couldn't believe it when I saw the final score.

I get it that Draisaitl is your guy. He's a terrific player.

But he's not above criticism for soft play in the defensive zone, especially when it leads to backbreaking goals. Nobody is. The tying goal and the 4-2 goal were soft plays.

These are important games. Meaningful games (though, of course, they all are). Might as well be the playoffs.
    Fine, but what I reacted to is the specious criticism of one player when several were at fault. Drai lost an outmanned board battle in ownzone. In the same game he won many more of those and in outmanned situations. 3 times in the game he was in front of his own net corralling a puck and taking it away to safety. His level of defensive play has increased and his 5 on 5 GA has decreased as well as his PK GA. On the first goal he loses the puck battle but the puck goes right to Rieder, alone, the puck bounces right off his stick, and you absolve him of any contribution to that GA. So in otherwords blamed Drai for not having control of the puck along the boards but absolve Rieder for not having control of a puck in the high slot. Which is worse?

Then, like I say, on the flyby do you even acknowledge that Drai breaks up the original play, help did arrive, but that Klef got stripped of the puck and by Kane who stick checked him, then created time for him slotting the puck home? Sure its Klefs first game back but he got beat on the play. On a GA close in do you blame the forward more than the D for allowing the chance and goal?

Lets be clear here as well the Hawks scored 5 goals in the 3rd. The whole team looked flat in the 3rd, everybody, and Drai was the reason the Oilers had the lead in the first place. Maybe somebody else other than McDrai could add some scoring help once in awhile. Every player makes mistakes,and forwards make more of them in ownzone, typically.

In the previous game RNH lost 5 puck battle in own end of the ice in the FIRST PERIOD. I didn't see you here writing volumes freaking out about it.

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

'It's far past embarrassment': Oiler fans tuning out as losses mount

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...lace-1.5008854

We really could use someone who knows a thing or two about winning right now.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Kevin Lowe once said he knows a thing or two about winning, and look where that got the Oilers.

I get fans are upset/angry. So stop supporting them, throwing jerseys on the ice is very childish behavior.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I don't blame fans for tossing a jersey on the ice. Maybe the best way fans can make a statement is not show up to games.

Hitler reacts to Oiler losses. https://youtu.be/t79pQ-OMYpU
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Even Adolph gets it.

I don't blame fans for tossing a jersey on the ice. Maybe the best way fans can make a statement is not show up to games.

I think( due the cost of a jersey) if you no longer want it, hand it it to a homeless person, they love wearing them!!

Yes, the best way would be to not show up..its not like the oilers dont know how the fans feel

"anyone who believes in the old boys club or attended the 1984 cup team reunion"
    "a jock sniffing owner who doesn't care about winning"
    "how are the fans supposed to believe the men who created this mess can clean it up?"

Yep, 'Dolphie nailed it.
    Last edited by K364; 07-02-2019 at 04:55 PM.

The Oilers won this one for Talbot.
    Brodziak was a healthy scratch, which was about time if you asked me. Maybe they should do likewise for Reider and other passengers.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

4-1. Good!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ but watch them lose to SJ Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Brodziak was a healthy scratch, which was about time if you asked me. Maybe they should do likewise for Reider and other passengers.
    Scoring wise Rieder has certainly been a no show, but prior to injury he was at one point 5th in this club in pts. (assists) He also does stellar work on pk, doesn't get scored against much, and his effort level in 200ft play has been good. Also draws penalties and uses his speed to extend D and to provide gap control. Unlike Brodziak Rieder is bringing it, he seems cursed around the net this year. But then again when he is in bottomsix goals generally don't happen there in this lineup. You don't scratch one of the few players that consistently works hard and plays an honest game.

^ but watch them lose to SJ Saturday.
    Shh, don't put it out there..

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ lol

#97, Leon, arguably the best two on any team in the league

@ Replacement. Reider brings it every night, just sayin'

C2E Continued Contributor

They would have to scratch most of the team.

In the previous game RNH lost 5 puck battle in own end of the ice in the FIRST PERIOD. I didn't see you here writing volumes freaking out about it.
    I'm not freaking out about anybody. I'm calling out a guy who gets $8.5M for soft plays in the D zone that cost them a game in a tight playoff race. He has lots of room to get better there.

Also needs to be better on key face-offs.

I thought both McDavid and Draisaitl were better defensively against Minny. McDavid may have prevented a goal with a strong stick, and was even playing back on D when a guy was caught up the ice.

And on a couple board battles in the D zone there was Draisaitl, stapled to the boards a few feet away, right where he needed to be for support, not blowing the zone early. The puck comes free, he gets it and passes to another guy a few feet away, and they're out of the zone. Also collapsed to the net on a couple scrambles.

They were still both soft on the Minny goal. But, overall, better.

I watched the Wild broadcast. The announcers were remarking how much room there was for Wild players in the Oilers D zone. And here I was, remarking how much better it was than the previous game.

The announcers, twice, remarked that McDavid and Draisaitl were "not going to win a Selke" (best defensive forward).

He doesn't get a pass on D from me. Neither does McDavid, or RNH. When the top 3 centres make a combined $27M they need to make $2M players into $4M players (etc.).

If the team is going to win, and get into the playoffs, they need to tighten up, a lot. The only saving grace, for them, is that there are so many other teams in the Conference as bad as they are.

The Oilers need to do more of that - play for each other. Play for their goaltender, especially.

Talbot must be pretty motivated to do well. If he starts playing great, maybe he gets out of here by the trade deadline.

I thought Malone acquitted himself very well in relatively limited ice time. He looks like a player, to me.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Even though there are 27 games remaining, I've given up watching the Oilers this year. I can only watch so much of this crap.

Even though there are 27 games remaining, I've given up watching the Oilers this year. I can only watch so much of this crap.
    Again, Draisaitl on the 2-0 goal. Also, along with McDavid, gliding back, perhaps on the other side of centre ice, on 4-1 goal.

Spector "When your leaders play like this in a crucial game, it's not good."

In a playoff race. I don't get it.

Brad Malone looking like an NHLer. Most dangerous Oilers forward, and back checks hard.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-02-2019 at 08:18 PM.

They flatter only to deceive.

Slowly heading to the bottom. Jack Hughes?
    Last edited by Drumbones; 09-02-2019 at 09:07 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Is Jack Hughes the #1 player in the draft lottery?

Again, Draisaitl on the 2-0 goal. Also, along with McDavid, gliding back, perhaps on the other side of centre ice, on 4-1 goal.

Brad Malone looking like an NHLer. Most dangerous Oilers forward, and back checks hard.
    This time I agree. The 2-0 goal against isn't pretty. But
    Drai did not read Kane being in that position, a bad play by him but he didn't pick it up. Soon as he spots Kane moving in he tries, too late, to respond. Its easy watching the game on TV where in our minds mistakes should never occur.

Another thing to look at on the goal is why so often are D are out of position and chasing rainbows on the boards. Kane breaks into that spot so easily not only because Drai doesn't read it but no D is that side either.

In anycase Jimbo I'm not going to over analyze the complete commitment of the top players on this team in games where the players are not convinced this team is going anywhere. This is a horrid lineup and roster that is incapable. McDrai and others every night have to try to convince themselves to be playing for something but that's tough given the circumstance of what Chia has done to this club.

Similar to 15-16 where Hall seemingly checked out the last 25 games not wanting to injure himself and realizing there was nothing to play for this lineup knows realistically this is another meaningless season thanks to brutal and incompetent management. This could have been the worst home game McDrai ever played. They were both unengaged. But I won't blame them for that specifically. Its tough having the circumstance year after year. Mostly they perform very well and in todays world of pro sports that's about as much as you can realistically ask for. You can't bring what they bring 82 games/year and NOBODY does.

Is Jack Hughes the #1 player in the draft lottery?
    That’s what I’m hearing.

https://www.redfin.com/TN/Franklin/2.../home/60677410 Ryan Smyth’s new digs outside of Nashville. 30 photos.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 10-02-2019 at 05:49 PM.

This time I agree. The 2-0 goal against isn't pretty. But
    Drai did not read Kane being in that position, a bad play by him but he didn't pick it up. Soon as he spots Kane moving in he tries, too late, to respond. Its easy watching the game on TV where in our minds mistakes should never occur.

Another thing to look at on the goal is why so often are D are out of position and chasing rainbows on the boards. Kane breaks into that spot so easily not only because Drai doesn't read it but no D is that side either.

In anycase Jimbo I'm not going to over analyze the complete commitment of the top players on this team in games where the players are not convinced this team is going anywhere. This is a horrid lineup and roster that is incapable. McDrai and others every night have to try to convince themselves to be playing for something but that's tough given the circumstance of what Chia has done to this club.

Similar to 15-16 where Hall seemingly checked out the last 25 games not wanting to injure himself and realizing there was nothing to play for this lineup knows realistically this is another meaningless season thanks to brutal and incompetent management. This could have been the worst home game McDrai ever played. They were both unengaged. But I won't blame them for that specifically. Its tough having the circumstance year after year. Mostly they perform very well and in todays world of pro sports that's about as much as you can realistically ask for. You can't bring what they bring 82 games/year and NOBODY does.
    I think Draisaitl is obviously a much better player than he showed on those plays. I'm sure he's embarrassed. I hope he is. I hope he uses it to get better. He needs to work on his defensive game. As with other things, the first step to getting better is admitting there's a problem, and I'm not sure he has, to himself.

The Hitchcock comments were as damning as can be without naming the player directly.

It's true no player can bring it for 82 games (didn't you dump on RNH for saying that a couple years ago?). Finding problems with this team is easy. One that seems obvious is a short bench that rides it's top players hard. It's one thing for a Patrick Kane to skate miles, it's another for a big guy like Draisaitl. These are the dog days of the season, where some players start to rise, and others fall back. A lot has to do with conditioning, too many minutes, and shifts that are too long.

I was pointing this out 3 games ago, after having watched it for a few games before that. This was as big a game as they've played in years. The intensity, desire, determination, and focus were far below playoff levels. I didn't necessarily expect them to win, but I expected them to compete.

As Hitch said, it speaks to a bigger problem (or problems), and it's what I've been going on about. Committing to defence. It's how teams win.

I don't know if you played hockey. Remember "stops and starts" at practice? Everybody hated them. Start at one end, skate hard to the blue line, stop, come back, stop, skate hard to red line, stop, skate back to blue line, stop, skate to blue line, stop, back to red line, stop, etc. I get tired thinking about it.

You had to go hard. Brutal. That's what coaches made you do when you were doing "lazy loops" (giving up the puck in the O zone, and doing a loop to go on the back check instead of stopping and digging in). Also know as "beer league hockey". When your top guys are doing that you're probably going to lose against a good team.

They play D first for a game, or 10, as when Hitchcock came in, then they go freelance. Not saying they're lazy, selfish, or lousy. They just have a different idea as to how to win than the coach, the 3rd winningest coach in NHL history. Maybe they're right, but he's the coach, and it's his team.

I'm not big on dumping on players for individual mistakes. If you don't make mistakes, you aren't trying hard enough. But those kinds of mistakes speak to a different problem. Not trying hard enough. Not caring enough.

aside - Any player who "checks out" (aka: sulking) on the last 25 games to avoid injury needs to be booted off the team. Doing that to the fans, and your teammates, is unforgivable.

Draisaitl is not at, or near, McDavid's level. He's not at MacKinnon's level, or Kopitar's, or Scheifle's - other bigger guys. Yet. He has the tools. He needs to put in the work on his defensive game, and he needs to change the way he thinks the game if he thinks he's so good he can out-skill guys in this league.

McDavid is exceptional, and, while he doesn't get a pass, I don't want him blocking shots too often. Nobody can be expected to rise to McDavid's example, because nobody has ever played the game like him.

Draisaitl doesn't get the same rope. It's McDavid and the other guys, and he's got to be the leader of the other guys, setting the example. It's hard to criticize teammates for not doing things right when you aren't doing those same things right, while being paid 5 times as much, with twice the ice time.

I'm not going to argue this is a good team. I'm seemingly the only one pinning some hope on Sekera coming back anywhere near the guy he used to be. He's a solid player, and they could use a guy like that.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 10-02-2019 at 06:31 PM.

As much as I hate focussing on the draft at this point in the season, here are the McKeen's Hockey mid-season rankings.

Don't think the Oilers need another centre, but, as we've seen, centres can usually play wing too, where the opposite may not be true.

The team could use help on D, but those players generally take longer to develop.

Of course they could trade the pick, but there's increasingly less reason to do so, and no room to take back a contract anyway. Maybe a sweetener in a big deal to unload a contract.

C2E Continued Contributor

I'm still blown away at the lost coverage on the Kane goal. Klef and Larsson were taking away the two Sharks coming down the wall. Draisaitl is the first forward back, and is caught puck watching, rather picking up the 3rd Sharks player coming into the zone. If you're going to turn it over, sure, mistakes happen, but then own it, and come back hard to make sure you're in position, and you do everything in your power to stifle the other team's chances. This type of lack of defensive awareness has been the biggest issue of the team for the last decade+ . The amount of grade A chances the Oilers give up nightly because of puck watching, rather than taking a man, is ridiculous. How over 10+ years has this team not been able to sort this out? Skill or no skill, this is basic fundamental hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    https://www.redfin.com/TN/Franklin/2.../home/60677410 Ryan Smyth’s new digs outside of Nashville. 30 photos.
    Looks like a nice place! Wonder why he moved to Nashville...???

C2E Posting Power

It's obvious, more bang for your house buck down there.....comparable mansions - except the Nashville house is half the price.

Weather too maybe. Not too cold and not too hot. A beautiful area, been a few times. Maybe he likes country. Alan Jackson’s former Sweetbriar mansion and estate is across the river to the north.

Watched the Oilers lose tonight in Pittsburg. I think most of their get up and go has got up and went. I think most of them are just daydreaming of a nice green golf course.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Even when the Pens we're up 2-1 I thought Oilers still had a chance. Notice Crosby holding onto McDavid's ankle for a brief second?

Friday it gets worse with Carolina. February 25th cant come fast enough. I'd like to see the Oilers sell; RNH, Talbot, Brodziack, Khaira, for starters and get a proper GM. That's my wish list.

I was hoping they could trade some players but get less back to dump contracts and create cap space. There are a few players in Bakersfield that could come up now, hate to ruin their season though, especially if they are gunning for the Calder Cup.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 14-02-2019 at 12:17 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I was thinking along your lines as well.

C2E SME

It might be best to keep the Bakersfield team together.

Those guys need to stay down in Bakersfield and learn what winning is about. They won't learn that from the Oilers.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

-33 at EIA this morning. Rainy and +20 for Bakersfield today. The wife is at moms in southern Vietnam. Sunny and +33 for today. We met online on this day thirteen years ago. Happy Valentines Day everybody.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 14-02-2019 at 09:39 AM.

There was a rumour that Hitchcock was going to step down, so disgusted he's been with the effort, buy-in, and performance of late. I'm sure mgmt have done everything they can to beg him to stay as that would be the lowest rock bottom of any season, any NHL team has ever had.

If I came out of retirement to coach this pathetic team I'd want to retire again! Can't blame the guy if that is indeed what he wants to do.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

There was a rumour that Hitchcock was going to step down, so disgusted he's been with the effort, buy-in, and performance of late. I'm sure mgmt have done everything they can to beg him to stay as that would be the lowest rock bottom of any season, any NHL team has ever had.
    I heard that somewhere as well when Hitchcock separated the needs of the coach against that of the players.

Maybe during the off season Gretzky will hire Jay Woodcroft, who knows.
    Last edited by envaneo; 14-02-2019 at 12:32 PM.

C2E SME

How much elitism is there in the Oilers organization?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I wouldn't call it elitism if Oilers management hired a "low profile individual" from within its own organization. We're not talking about cronyism here or adding to an old boys club.
    Last edited by envaneo; 14-02-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Sounds like a Talbot for Brian Elliott deal might be in the works. Saves enough cap space to bring back Sekera.
    If not Elliott, then possibly goalie Stolarz. Both have expiring contracts and both have better numbers than Talbot.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'd hate to see the Oilers do anything with Jesse Puljujarvi but he is an asset the Oilers could use now. It'd be great to see Sekera back in the line up.

I struggle to believe the rumor that Hitchcock wants/wanted to step down, and frankly I think Friedman might have even taken some things out of context for getting that conclusion. You don't go from being a midget AAA coach to one of the winning-est coaches in NHL history by quitting when things become difficult.

Puljujarvi stays. I don't see K. Gretz stapling "traded JP" to his resume unless the return is ridiculous, which given Puljujarvi is a completely unknown quantity still at this point, is unlikely.
    Twenty one, thirty one, and seven twenty-seven.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I've been reading somewhere that Puljujarvi could go back to Bakersfield for awhile. I hope not.

It's a winning environment in the Cali sun. I wouldn't mind going down if I were him, lol.
    Twenty one, thirty one, and seven twenty-seven.

Sounds like a Talbot for Brian Elliott deal might be in the works. Saves enough cap space to bring back Sekera.
    If not Elliott, then possibly goalie Stolarz. Both have expiring contracts and both have better numbers than Talbot.
    Elliott is on LTIR or something. I'd rather have Stolarz.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo
    I've been reading somewhere that Puljujarvi could go back to Bakersfield for awhile. I hope not.

Huh? That's where he should have been the past 2 years. It's unconscionable that the Oilers have been playing a top prospect like him 8-10 minutes a night with Lucic and Brodziak. It makes no sense. No other organization in the league does this crap.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by nickv View Post
    It's a winning environment in the Cali sun. I wouldn't mind going down if I were him, lol.
    Cali sun is fine....just sucks that it's in a world class sh&thole of a town......

Bakersfield isn't that bad, just boring.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Anyone know when the Oilers autograph session will be at West Edmonton Mall Family day?

C2E SME

C2E SME

Clearly, the solution is a 7 foot tall goalie. They just need to find one.

I think this guy is, counting his skates and helmet/mask

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Clearly, the solution is a 7 foot tall goalie. They just need to find one.
    7ft tall and 600 pounds...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Elliott Friedman just tweeted out that he's hearing a Spooner trade is in the works with Sam Gagner coming back

Sounds like Sam Gagner is coming back to the Oilers for Ryan Spooner.

Edit: Alex you ninja poster!

Always liked Gagne, consistant 40 point guy. How many years left on his contract? Spooner did NOTHING here. I like the trade.

Now if we can say goodbye to Manning, Reider, Brodziak and a few others

^^Gagner has one more year at $3.15m, so it's basically a cap wash.

C2E SME

I don't mind that at all, actually. They desperately need skill, and while he's got warts to his game, he's definitely skilled and I think he plays with more jam than Spooner ever did. It also saves them 850k on the cap, if there was no salary retained. Both guys are signed for next year.

^Marcel, I think you're mistaken on the "cap savings" aspect. Vancouver actually saves $50K on the cap, because the Rangers retained $900K of Spooner's $4m salary in the Strome trade.

Edit: In other words: https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...couver-canucks

From a salary standpoint, it is just about a wash, which is a huge factor in this being possible for cap-crunched Edmonton. Gagner has a year left in his deal at $3.15. Spooner was at $4m, but with the Rangers still retaining $900,000 of that, it is just a marginal increase in cost for Edmonton.

But yeah, I don't love it, I don't hate it -- Gagner may end up being more of a useful spare part than Spooner, and maybe could help the PP2 unit.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post

Best save of his career.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast