Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Edmonton Oilers 2018/19 Season

Oilers get whipped by the worst team in the league.

Twice.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

I'd rather C2E than work!

Yes And McD looked like a pinball out there. We need a Dave Semenko Jr. to protect him.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 06-01-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    ^ Too many passengers on this team.
    or still way too many drivers on the bus...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Chiarelli has to, and I imagine will, be fired. But if there's one organization that I don't trust to hire the right replacement, it's the Edmonton Oilers.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

A must watch for all Oiler fans “Sunderland til I die” on Netflix.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Chiarelli has to, and I imagine will, be fired. But if there's one organization that I don't trust to hire the right replacement, it's the Edmonton Oilers.
    Just promote Keith Gretzky from assistant GM to GM. I’ve heard nothing but good things about the guy and his capabilities.

Mr. Katz, surely you could have found a better place to launch rancid trial balloons than C2E? And don't get me started on your pseudonym. Drumbones - come ooooooon. You must have one pr staff member who could concoct something jazzier?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I wonder who the starting goal tender will be in Anaheim tonight for the Oilers?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Just promote Keith Gretzky from assistant GM to GM. I’ve heard nothing but good things about the guy and his capabilities.
    He's been in the room when both Seguin and Hall were traded. He's apparently got a good eye for prospects, but I'd hesitate to call him a change from Chiarelli.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Good news is that Kris Russell is off the IR list so I presume he's playing tonight
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Some people are pretty hard on him but I think he’s a gem. Super hard worker and will do anything for the team. An all around tough person, cowboy from Caroline.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Mr. Katz, surely you could have found a better place to launch rancid trial balloons than C2E? And don't get me started on your pseudonym. Drumbones - come ooooooon. You must have one pr staff member who could concoct something jazzier?
    HaHaHa . Ya sure. As for the name I was working in Drumheller at the time. I was in Drum where all the bones are.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 06-01-2019 at 08:02 PM.

Brandon Manning already being healthy scratched. Only one more year at $2.25 million for this guy. Helluva trade, Peter.

Oilers win 4-0, one day after being shut out 4-0
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Melancholic
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Yay!

Sweet

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Oilers win 4-0, one day after being shut out 4-0
    Watching the last 2 games showed us how really weak and timid we are.....back in the day Patty Maroon would [email protected] slap any of those who even farted towards McDavid.....now we're letting him get elbowed in the nose and checked into the boards with NO consequence. Looks Maroon might get traded...be nice to get him back on McDavid's line and TOS Rattie....

Btw, Getzlaf is such an a**hole of a bully.....watching him last night against Drai was exactly what he tried to do against Sekera 2 years ago....this guy needs a LUCIC knuckle sandwich......

Sounding like playoff talk. Fingers crossed. Hope to see patty back too.

C2E SME

Brandon Manning already being healthy scratched. Only one more year at $2.25 million for this guy. Helluva trade, Peter.
    I was at a remote lodge with spotty internet when the trades went down. I figured for the first 24 hours that my friends were pulling my leg when they told me about that trade (Petrovic one is meh). There's no justifying it. In any respect. It is an absolutely awful trade from an asset AND cap management perspective. It boggles the mind. And I didn't even much like Caggiula in the first place.

It's the exact kind of trade that if you repeat a few times a year for decades results in being the worst organization in professional hockey. So yay continuity I guess?

Peter Chiarelli is not of sound mind, that much is certain. But who else approved this? Who thought this was a good idea?

Identify the culprits and fire them all.

I don't understand how he could have been targeting Manning for a year (his own admission), watched his absolutely garbage year so far, and made a trade that 1) sent Caggiula the other way, and 2) didn't require Chicago to retain a good portion of Manning's salary. Just unbelievable.

Peter Chiarelli is not of sound mind, that much is certain. But who else approved this? Who thought this was a good idea?

This. A lot of Chia hate to go around but he's not gone rogue on these I'm sure. Scouting Dept? Ball up. Bob Green? Ball up.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

C2E SME

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Bob Green oversaw the Griffin Reinhart trade. Prior to being named director of player personnel he was the Oil Kings GM, so he would have seen Reinhart play over a hundred times while he was with the Oil Kings. And he still saw fit to trade a king's ransom for him, despite his three stalled years of development after being drafted in 2012. Most pro-scouts felt Reinhart was picked way too high the second he went 4th overall. And they were clearly right.

Why is he still employed, exactly? That is an absolutely massive whiff as one of the first big trades made with him in his new position and PC freshly hired. Chiarelli at the time basically said "I trusted Bob's judgement" when asked about why he made the trade. It's worked out great, hasn't it?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post

This. A lot of Chia hate to go around but he's not gone rogue on these I'm sure. Scouting Dept? Ball up. Bob Green? Ball up.
    identify the culprits?

chiarelli took a job that included having his hands tied behind his back from the ice surface right up through to the owner.

the teams website still says "Kevin Lowe, 59, has just completed his fourth season as Vice Chair and Alternate Governor of Oilers Entertainment Group (OEG). Lowe served as the Oilers President of Hockey Operations for seven seasons and prior to that he spent eight seasons as the Oilers General Manager. Lowe has been instrumental in the renewed success of the team, both on and off the ice."

the renewed success of the team, both on and off the ice???????????

how can anyone look at this team's record either on or off the ice for the past 19 years and consider it to have been a success by any measure? that's not the scouting department. or bob green. or peter chiarelli. it's not even kevin lowe who i'm sure is talented and committed and bleeds blue and orange. what it is is corporate culture from ice surface to ownership.

i'm a hitchcock fan and i wish him luck in turning it around and changing that culture. but if he doesn't have total veto power and control from the ice surface all the way to ownership, he's working with his hands tied as well and the result will be the same. the oilers will never be a good team, never mind a great team, again as long as the last 19 years represent renewed success for the organization and not an embarrassment for the organization.

lest anyone think i'm being too harsh, for the record, in those 19 years, they lost in the quarter finals three of the first four, made it to the finals in a lucky run once since then and lost, and made it to the second round and lost two years ago. one season was lost to the lockout and the playoff record for the other 13 is "did not qualify". how does that stack up as renewed success in any manner and how to you call it that and expect to inspire a healthy on-ice work ethic and team-work and dedication?

C2E SME

Ken, it's much worse than even their playoff record shows. Even ignoring playoffs entirely and only looking at regular season points, they are easily the worst organization in the league and have been for a long time. Gregor and Staples have both put out articles that demonstrate it numerically, but I can't seem to find them off hand. However using a bit of Hockey Reference, these are the regular season point totals for a sample of (the worst) teams since the start of the 2008/9 season to today, which is when Katz was officially in charge of the team:

Buffalo: 801
    Edmonton: 751
    Florida: 850
    NYI: 851
    Toronto: 854
    Ottawa: 871
    Vancouver: 935
    Winnipeg: 890
    Carolina: 845
    Arizona: 835
    Columbus: 886
    Dallas: 831

The Oilers are last by a mile, and Buffalo is second last by a fair distance themselves. Katz is in a league of his own when it comes to running a storied franchise in to the dirt.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

marcel,

i only used 19 years because that's the number of seasons referenced in the team bio for lowe during which he was credited for being "instrumental in the renewed success of the team". whether the phrase is applied to the whole 10 or just the last 10 is immaterial. in both cases they are stating that being the worst team in the league for a considerable length of time is considered renewed success in edmonton. what does that tell your players and your fans when that kind of record/performance fulfills your definition of success? (a) how can you say that ***** and not expect to be held accountable for it and (b) how can you say that ***** and then expect anyone else to strive for more?

4-1 now sharks in the second. I shut the dam tv off. **** it.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 08-01-2019 at 10:48 PM.

Lucic finally scores a goal!

Brutal. On top of many other challenges, the biggest may be the salary cap, and this makes it worse. I don't get it.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Ken, it's much worse than even their playoff record shows. Even ignoring playoffs entirely and only looking at regular season points, they are easily the worst organization in the league and have been for a long time. ...
    It's obvious they need to fire the coach. Every 15 games or so.

The record is very bad.

The future doesn't look bright either.

At least 1/3 of the team are AHL or borderline. They're right up against the cap. They don't have assets to trade. They can't afford a free agent, even a lower tier one. The prospect pool is very shallow, despite the best picks.

The Oilers top 3, all centres, are doing the lions share of scoring. They make a combined $27,000,000.

The Flames top 5 make under $26M, includes a Norris candidate, and have more than 100 more points. They have 59 less points than the entire Oilers lineup combined.

Chiarelli, and whoever replaces him, is faced with a near impossible challenge. I don't see any obvious fixes. This could take another 5 years or more to dig out of.

Petry scored the winner for the Habs tonight, his 9th of the season. 30 points. Just sayin'.

This has been more than a decade in the making, and there's no way out I can figure.

Bob Stauffer drops "hint" the Oilers are considering moving their #1 pick in 2019 for a top 6 winger. Well, yeah, of course. That's not likely to do it. Where do they find the money?

They are going to have to trade RNH. His value is at it's highest. I have no confidence they will get equal value in return.

What they need, what every team needs, is young players on entry level contracts making a contribution. Like a Tkachuk. Or a Kotkaniemi. Or Petterson. Or Laine. Etc.

They had that with McDavid, but they flubbed that too.

In this organization you get an infinite # of whiffs.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Yup, hate to say it for Oiler fans but if you want to re-start and get out from the cap hell they are in, moving RNH is a start, and a good one at that, with the right GM in place.

No one will take Lucic's contract and if they have to retain money if they DO trade him, that still doesn't help them at all.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^

most fans would be happy to see some of lucic’s salary go to keeping him off the ice even if he did double his goal count for the season last night.
    Last edited by kcantor; 09-01-2019 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post
    Yup, hate to say it for Oiler fans but if you want to re-start and get out from the cap hell they are in, moving RNH is a start, and a good one at that, with the right GM in place.
    Horrifying idea. RNH is not the problem, cap-wise or performance-wise.

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Ken, it's much worse than even their playoff record shows. Even ignoring playoffs entirely and only looking at regular season points, they are easily the worst organization in the league and have been for a long time. ...
    It's obvious they need to fire the coach. Every 15 games or so.

The record is very bad.

The future doesn't look bright either.

At least 1/3 of the team are AHL or borderline. They're right up against the cap. They don't have assets to trade. They can't afford a free agent, even a lower tier one. The prospect pool is very shallow, despite the best picks.

The Oilers top 3, all centres, are doing the lions share of scoring. They make a combined $27,000,000.

The Flames top 5 make under $26M, includes a Norris candidate, and have more than 100 more points. They have 59 less points than the entire Oilers lineup combined.

Chiarelli, and whoever replaces him, is faced with a near impossible challenge. I don't see any obvious fixes. This could take another 5 years or more to dig out of.

Petry scored the winner for the Habs tonight, his 9th of the season. 30 points. Just sayin'.

This has been more than a decade in the making, and there's no way out I can figure.

Bob Stauffer drops "hint" the Oilers are considering moving their #1 pick in 2019 for a top 6 winger. Well, yeah, of course. That's not likely to do it. Where do they find the money?

They are going to have to trade RNH. His value is at it's highest. I have no confidence they will get equal value in return.

What they need, what every team needs, is young players on entry level contracts making a contribution. Like a Tkachuk. Or a Kotkaniemi. Or Petterson. Or Laine. Etc.

They had that with McDavid, but they flubbed that too.

In this organization you get an infinite # of whiffs.
    Looks like Bobby Nicks will have to take another deep dive. You wonder if it is going to be too deep this time that even he will not be able to make it back to the surface. Katz should be ashamed. I am sure the other owners around the league are having a good laugh at him behind his back.

Yeah, good ol' bobby dickslap.

Should stick to naming burgers after himself.

Anyone who profits from the NHL is not laughing at Katz. If anything, they are ****** off. McDavid is must watch TV bestowed on the most unwatchable team in the league.

The impact he should be having on the casual US/international fan is being flushed down the toilet.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

McDavid's body language says it all and was evident in last nights debacle as he left the ice after the game. I felt bad for him. The "good news" is the Oilers are still playing 500 hockey, and are in the mix to get the last playoff spot one win away. Trouble is there are about 4 other teams in the same situation.

I felt bad for Caleb Jones last night. He's generally solid and responsible, but last night looked lost playing against basically an all-star team. Goal bounced in off of him, he couldn't get anything started in the offensive zone, a handful of turnovers, etc.

Things like that can be covered up, but when your D partner is Kris Russell he'll only really bail you out by blocking a shot. Not likely to slide over and cover you.

That said, he's a rookie and is playing way up the lineup from where he realistically should be, so it's not a knock on him. This is what happens when the management decides to use the NHL as a development league.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    I felt bad for Caleb Jones last night. He's generally solid and responsible, but last night looked lost playing against basically an all-star team. Goal bounced in off of him, he couldn't get anything started in the offensive zone, a handful of turnovers, etc.

Things like that can be covered up, but when your D partner is Kris Russell he'll only really bail you out by blocking a shot. Not likely to slide over and cover you.

That said, he's a rookie and is playing way up the lineup from where he realistically should be, so it's not a knock on him. This is what happens when the management decides to use the NHL as a development league.
    That's a main issue with this team. They have some good players, but they're being asked to slot in higher than they should. Set up to fail.

Khaira is a very good 4th line energy banger that can play centre or wing, and can move up in a pinch. Really useful player. But not a top 6 guy, and certainly not on the 1st line with McDavid. Kassian isn't a top 6 player, but, too often, he's the best option.

It's worse on D. No legit top pairing, even when everyone's healthy, and not enough depth, despite a boatload of players.

Is it just me (and a friend who asked) or is the broadcase totally foobared? Flashing video, no audio. No scroller from Shaw to say there's a problem.

Shaw feed is flashing like a strobe. Telus is perfectly fine.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm on Telus, no issues here

8:30PM PT: The pixelation on Sportsnet channels this evening is the
    result of damage to Rogers’ fibre. This is also impacting the channels
    for our Shaw Direct customers at this time. Technicians are
    coordinating repair efforts to restore services. We appreciate your
    patience during this time

C2E SME

And the Oilers are back within two points of a Wild Card spot with tonight's shootout win.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Now tied with Vancouver at 45 points, thanks to their OT loss. Oilers still have 2 games in hand.

I’m hoping. I worry so much about being a one trick pony so to speak though. If Connor was to get injured we’d be toast. He scored three goals tonight in a 4-3 win. Like when are some of these guys gonna put the puck in the net. It seems like the good teams now have a couple of Russian snipers onboard. Are we too far north that they won’t play here? Bad luck in selecting players too. The better teams seem to pick good players that we pass on and we get the duds. lol. Anyway, good game it was and great to get the win.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^

i think it’s the wrong fertilizer - or something in the water - not whether they’re good or they’re duds before they even get here.

C2E SME

It's amazing to me how often there are technical difficulties with Oilers broadcasts. There's been at least 2-3 other games this year that had significant portions of blacked out pictures, no sound, and the like. And even the in-studio stuff Sportsnet often makes a hash of, with cameras still in shots when they shouldn't be, bad/awkward throws from one host to another, etc. Maybe it's just me, but Sportsnet seems about 2 rungs down the ladder from TSN in terms of production quality and reliability. Let alone on-air talent.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

There was a game on the last road trip where for most of the 1st period where the camera feed was really jerky, out of synch. Anyone else noticed it?

I did. Plus some audio distortion, like they had to drop frames and reduce bitrate. Last night's problem was because of a Rogers fiber cut though.

Off-topc but handy for some: Shaw's Service Updates & Outages page:
    https://community.shaw.ca/community/...dates/activity

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm on Telus and the feed was good last night.

Mine too

Bad loss to Az. You get to the point where you just want to see McDavid get his points and give up on the rest of it. Depressing.

This team is just not good enough. The entire management team needs to go ASAP. The terrible trades have desimated this team.

...no Connor (sick?) at the skills competition.
    www.decl.org

may be sick of being an edmonton oiler, or...he celebrated his birthday. He may be sick but he really deserves a rest now and then. He should skip the all star stuff and take the ten days off, go to Jamaica for a while or something. I would support that. (no, I don’t mean pay for it)
    Last edited by Drumbones; 13-01-2019 at 09:59 PM.

I was 🤔 thinking if the Oilers miss the playoffs, and it’s glaringly obvious by trade deadline, the Flames 🔥 are really good this year. They may not need him but....loan McDavid to the Flames for this years playoffs only that way they could almost for sure win the cup. Connor wins a cup, gets a ring, Stanley comes to Alberta, and back to Canada. Connor returns to the Oilers in the fall. win win win. haha
    Last edited by Drumbones; 13-01-2019 at 09:22 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I was almost worried for your sanity until you said. haha

Lol. Flames 4 zip over Az in the second. Flames are second with only Tampa Bay ahead in the league. They are on a roll.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 13-01-2019 at 10:01 PM.

there was an article saying that shipping talbot out, might be enough to get a top 6 forward, but I highly doubt that since he's a UFA and doesn't have very good numbers. maybe it creates enough cap space to ship out lucic, retain 80% of his salary, and get a top six in return (and actually afford him)

and......what about goaltending. Do we have a top end goaltender sitting in the wings somewhere. Talbot is just getting back into form right now. Also Koskinen was letting a lot in as of late.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 14-01-2019 at 10:26 AM.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    there was an article saying that shipping talbot out, might be enough to get a top 6 forward, but I highly doubt that since he's a UFA and doesn't have very good numbers. maybe it creates enough cap space to ship out lucic, retain 80% of his salary, and get a top six in return (and actually afford him)
    You can only retain up to 50% of salary, I believe. And why would a team send back anything other than an equally terrible player, even if half his salary is retained? Lucic has zero trade value even if you totally ignore his contract. Were it not for his pedigree and contract, he wouldn't even be in the NHL at this point, he's gotten so bad. Add his contract to the pile, and he's basically un-tradeable unless the Oilers also add a heck of a sweetener (draft pick or prospect) along with maximum retention.

And there is zero chance that you get a top 6 forward with term for Talbot. All you'd get back is a rental, like him, and probably not a very good one since Talbot himself has been terrible for over a year now.

There are no magic fixes for this team, outside of whatever McDavid can pull out of his hat. PC basically blew the last 3.5 years since he's been GM by moving the team backwards in terms of talent and skill in almost every move he's made. The better question is why he was hired in the first place given that his track record in Boston had trended down very badly towards the end of his tenure (and look how good they are again since they ditched him and cleaned up his mess!), why he's been left in his position as long as he has been, and how much of his incompetence is due to being surrounded by further incompetence in the scouting, evaluation and development personnel.

Because everything indicates that the Oilers continue to be one of the worst run organizations in North American professional sport for 10+ years running.

We'd probably get a third round pick for Talbot.

I have a 20% share in season tickets this year, split amongst family, which I suppose qualifies me for semi "first-tier" status in the eyes of Kevin Lowe. Leaning very heavily towards not renewing my arrangement, for a variety of reasons, including not wanting to financially support this atrocious organization. It could take years to climb out of the hole that Chiarelli has dug.

C2E SME

Yup, I feel the same way in regards to my businesses' season seats. I'm sick of paying to watch a crappy team and product. If it weren't for McDavid it would be an easy decision, but he's often worth the price of admission on his own.

McDavid was the biggest lottery win in Canadian lottery history.

As a Tier 3 fan (TV + DVR) the Oilers have made their broadcasts SO much quicker to get through!

We have 5 shares in our tickets and after that Arizona game I got to thinking, but at the same time I love going to see the NHL, we have a long winter and McDavid is amazing.

That said, I do enjoy me my UofA Bears.
    www.decl.org

So many other entertainment options that are just better, and you go home happy near every night. Anybody could do themselves a favor and go to Bears games, or Citadel Theatre, or Mayfield Dinner Theatre etc. Much better food at the latter and much more affordable than SNet lounge seating at Rogers. Really with these options its win every time. Plus that the Golden Bears hockey club do nearly win every time, heh.

McDavid, Draisaitl are great but I saw years of the best team on Earth winning Stanley Cups and in person. Can't substitute that. THIS version of the Oilers, and most that have occurred since the 80's does not constitute can't miss entertainment.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Apparently the Oilers are "all in" on the playoffs this year. Puljujarvi and the first are available according to twitter and Elliot Friedman.

Katz is so remarkably bad at this.

Now that’s better! Oil 7 Sabres 2

Or watch any team in BPL much more entertaining.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I agree what Don Cherry said on the McCown show about McDavid yesterday being on the Oilers how he's all by himself. Grapes also commented on Taylor Hall and what a great combination it would have been having McDavid/Hall/Draisaitl today. But we know how that turned out.
    Last edited by envaneo; 15-01-2019 at 03:23 AM.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Now that’s better! Oil 7 Sabres 2
    While the effort was better in general. The Sabres goalies gave up some relatively soft goals. Oilers still got badly outshot, and Sabres had some real good quality chances. Koskinen bailed them out a number of times.

Good for Kassian and Lucic though. But they're still not playing like a playoff team would/should.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    So many other entertainment options that are just better, and you go home happy near every night. Anybody could do themselves a favor and go to Bears games, or Citadel Theatre, or Mayfield Dinner Theatre etc. Much better food at the latter and much more affordable than SNet lounge seating at Rogers. Really with these options its win every time. Plus that the Golden Bears hockey club do nearly win every time, heh.

McDavid, Draisaitl are great but I saw years of the best team on Earth winning Stanley Cups and in person. Can't substitute that. THIS version of the Oilers, and most that have occurred since the 80's does not constitute can't miss entertainment.
    Yup. I find this team is better passively watched. Senior AAA is pretty good too if you wanna watch good old time hockey that’s high caliber, I love the Stony Plain Eagles games. There’s a beer garden and all.

Oilers pick up Colby Cave from the Bruins. Looking at his stats he seems like another AHL caliber player.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Me too, and we thought it would go on forever. The Edmonton Oilers scored 446 in the 80-game 1983-84 season. In fact, the dynastic Oilers of the 1980s are the only teams to break the 400-goal mark, doing it five straight seasons between 1981-82 and 1985-86. But that 1983-84 team, which featured eight 20-goal scorers led by the 87 scored by Wayne Gretzky, was the most prolific of them all. 1985-86 was the most productive season of Wayne Gretzky's career. "The Great One" again led the league in scoring with an incredible 163 assists and 215 points. Besides Gretzky's incredible season, three other Oilers' players topped the 100-point mark on the season, Paul Coffey (138 ), Jari Kurri (131) and Glenn Anderson (102). Most goals in a season; Wayne Gretzky was responsible for nine of those occasions, including his league-record 92 goals in 1981–82. In that season, Gretzky scored five goals in his 39th game of the season to total 50, bettering Richard and Bossy by 11 games as the fastest to reach the mark. And so on and so on. We were lucky to be there and as hockey fans lucky to be alive during those times. It will never be duplicated in today’s NHL. Salary caps and such prevent any one team from dominating.

The Division is very weak so the Oilers have a decent shot at a playoff spot. But this isn't a good team.

I keep reading that the Oilers can't afford to give up a top prospect in a trade, because they'd be mortgaging their future. What top prospect?

Perhaps the most damning indictment of a team that's ditched 11 of the last 12 seasons is that despite a decade of high draft picks the team has one of the worst prospect pools in the league.

Not one player in the top 50. Not even Bouchard cracks the top 50.

TSN top 50.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Apparently Milan Lucic will be unprotected in the Seattle expansion draft. Lucic would have to waiver his no move clause though to go to Seattle.

https://oilersnation.com/2018/12/06/...cics-contract/

He’s one of the few guys with balls on the team. He will fight anyone that needs to be fought and will stick up for his team mates anytime. If Connor likes him and wants him on the team keep him. If you think he’s the reason the Oilers are a poor team think again. If you think getting rid of him guarantees you find better and improve, think again. I like him and I’m a fan that says keep him. Just my opinion. Management has had chances to get some good players and stay within cap, instead they passed on them to get worse ones. That’s where the problems lie.

He'll fight anyone? When was the last time he actually fought anyone? He's in decline as a deterrent and unless his recent hot streak continues he's not worth the $6M boat anchor contract he's getting. If you can move his contract and get back a player who can put up 5-10 goals consistently, you almost have to do it. This frees up a chunk of cap space, a space on the protected list in the expansion draft, etc. If the Oilers are out of a playoff position at the trade deadline they need to be shopping him HARD as a veteran rental.

Kassian, Khaira, and a few other guys can handle the deterrent role.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The Milan camp wanted a trade last year. It was nice to see him get some goals last night. Lucic is a good asset for the Oilers but that stock value is dropping. If McDavid wants him on team at the time of the expansion draft, I doubt Lucic will waiver his no move clause. This is Lucic's what 3/7 years to go?
    Last edited by envaneo; 16-01-2019 at 02:47 PM.

C2E SME

Apparently Milan Lucic will be unprotected in the Seattle expansion draft. Lucic would have to waiver his no move clause though to go to Seattle.

Huh? That article doesn't say that he WILL be unprotected. It said that's one unlikely option, among others. If you were Lucic, would you waive your no move clause to go to an expansion team? Why would he give up control? If he refuses to, then aw shucks, the Oilers have to use a precious protected slot to cover him and someone else who is actually capable of playing in today's NHL will be left unprotected.

Given the facts of his contract in terms of dollars, term, and no movement clauses it's almost impossible to get rid of without also giving up significant assets to sweeten the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones
    If you think he’s the reason the Oilers are a poor team think again.

8% of the team's cap hit is going towards a player that contributes almost nothing towards winning games. He's not the only dead cap space on the team, not by a long shot. But his contract is among the worst in the NHL. If you don't think that significantly handicaps the team, given that they're hard up against the cap, I don't know what to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones
    Management has had chances to get some good players and stay within cap, instead they passed on them to get worse ones. That’s where the problems lie.

Huh? Lucic is exactly one of the "worse ones". They felt that Lucic would replace Hall's offense and his signing was a big part of the reason they felt Hall could be traded. The team is tight up against the cap in large part because of his contract, along with Sekera's when he comes back, and to a much lesser degree Russell's.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L
    If the Oilers are out of a playoff position at the trade deadline they need to be shopping him HARD as a veteran rental.

Huh? Rentals don't come with 4 more years on their contract after the current season. Again, the Oilers will either have to pay another team to take his contract with picks or prospects, or they have to hope for a compliance buyout or two arising out of the next CBA negotiation. No team wants anything to do with Lucic's contract.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo
    Lucic is a good asset for the Oilers but that stock value is dropping.

His value went negative long ago. At this point, the analogy is that the Oilers bought a piece of land from Husky/Esso/Shell without realizing that it's heavily contaminated. That cost of that contamination vastly outweighs the worth of the land, unfortunately, and they're either going to have to clean up that land on their own dime, or pay someone else to take it off their hands.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 16-01-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Pretty sure they have to protect him.

The Oilers have L-W-L-W-L-W-L-W in their last eight games. So, a loss tonight and a win against the Flames on Saturday. I'll take it.

My bad Marcel, I was thinking along the lines if retaining some cap, trading him to a team gearing up for the playoffs with lots of cap space and hoping they'd be open to buying him out if he doesn't perform. Not a traditional rental by any stretch, but still kind of a rental situation. It's a long shot, but something like that could happen.

The Division is very weak so the Oilers have a decent shot at a playoff spot. But this isn't a good team.

I keep reading that the Oilers can't afford to give up a top prospect in a trade, because they'd be mortgaging their future. What top prospect?

Perhaps the most damning indictment of a team that's ditched 11 of the last 12 seasons is that despite a decade of high draft picks the team has one of the worst prospect pools in the league.

Not one player in the top 50. Not even Bouchard cracks the top 50.

TSN top 50.

When you say the Oilers spent 11 of the last 12 seasons ditching you give the impression that the team could have won if they wanted to.

Oilers win this one over the Dys tonight in a 5th round shootout

Sweet!

Good game. Very exciting finish. 3 on 3 is great. Goalies were awesome. Chiasson was such a great find. Need a few more like that.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    We have 5 shares in our tickets and after that Arizona game I got to thinking, but at the same time I love going to see the NHL, we have a long winter and McDavid is amazing.

That said, I do enjoy me my UofA Bears.

Hunter will always be Guba's b*tch.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Pretty sure they have to protect him.
    I think I was looking at a mock expansion draft. There's a few Lucic scenario's going around.

They're really in a tough position. Chiasson has been a great pickup, but he's paid league minimum (650K) and is a UFA next year. If he stays, you could easily triple or quadruple that number on a deal.
    I know Mark Stone is a rental as a UFA, but he'd be a nice addition. Could you get him with Lucic (retain 50% of salary) and one of yamamoto or Pool party? Throw in a first round pick if Stone signs for more than 3 years. It would be tight to resign him, but with Lucic gone, one of the kids, and Rieder's 2M off the books, that might be enough.

Lucic is likely going to be on the Oilers for the rest of his career. The biggest problem is that the Oilers have a whole bunch of bad players with expensive contracts, and someone keeps giving them out.

Trying to get rid of one bad contract (Lucic's) doesn't fix the real problem with the club.

Darn Flames. Oilers tried but they are a far better team. Connor got banged up a bit. I hate to see that. I guess it’s todays league.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456