Thread: Edmonton Oilers 2018/19 Season

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Kind of surprised post game that Connor said there is not much to do in Edmonton but they make the best of it. Very honest guy. Maybe too honest in this case.
    I just watched the interview, I am a huge McDavid fan, but that comment really bothered me. Tell me what Edmonton doesnít have that most other cities do? Why did he feel the need to put down our city in that way? I donít understand the stereotype we have developed and why McDavid decided to play right into it. He did say they go out to dinner and movies, why not leave it at that?
    i like to think i'm a pretty big supporter of edmonton and moved here twice from somewhere else by choice. but if you think that the options in edmonton in terms of "what to do" approach that of vancouver or toronto, or ottawa or montreal, never mind new york or boston or philadelphia or los angeles or tampa bay or chicago or st.louis or cincinnati or pittsburgh or nashville etc. particularly if you want to do it anonymously and particularly if you include what you can do within an hour of most of those cities and the airline connections they have, then you're lost in home town boosterism (even calgary and winnipeg have better air connections to more places than we do, never mind las vegas and denver etc.). things that are simple truths shouldn't bother you, nor should someone recognizing them, nor should they be considered putting the city down (although some of them - like air connections - might well do with some improvements but that would have a positive impact on a lot more than just hockey players who are only here part time anyway).
    My point is he played to the typical Edmonton stereotype. Why not say we go to movies and out for supper and leave it at that?
    why not? perhaps because there's more than a kernel of truth to the typical edmonton stereotype?

the kid is paid to be here to play hockey and he is a phenomenal hockey player.

he's not paid to represent edmonton economic development or tourism (although i would guess that he brings more than his share of tourists here to watch him do what he is paid for).

all he is guilty of is being politely honest.
    I did not like the comment and thought it was unnecessary. Thatís all iím saying.
    I agree, he shouldnít have said it. Not on national TV, HNIC. Thatís all. I know he was not thinking a slight or anything like that, I forgive him. Love you Connor McD !!
    Last edited by Drumbones; 22-10-2018 at 06:42 PM.

I thought about it and I realized that itís what anyone would say. Heís an Edmontonian now and so he can say it. Most everyone trash talks their own city.

Another loss. Darn that Crosby character. Close one but only half a cigar. (one point). First half of the game was getting a bit boring (was switching back and forth to the ball game) but the second half got pretty exciting. Fun game. I was actually happy for Sid on the winner. What an effort.

Another loss. Darn that Crosby character. Close one but only half a cigar. (one point). First half of the game was getting a bit boring (was switching back and forth to the ball game) but the second half got pretty exciting. Fun game. I was actually happy for Sid on the winner. What an effort.
    From what I was able to watch it seemed Sid, McDavid, and Draisaitl were extra motivated and put on a good show. Malkin had a softer game than I've been seeing from him this year. He's tied with McDavid for points, and PPG.

That OT goal from Sid was filthy.

All the talk about who's the greatest, and who's the best, is fun. But sometimes I think we get obsessed with two or three players when there's a lot of players playing great right now. MacKinnon is picking up where he left off, along with Rantanen and Landeskog (+ 11 and + 12 respectively). Bergeron is playing great too, and Pasternak has 10 goals, sitting one point behind Matthews. Along with Marchand that line might be the best in the game, but there's competition there too.

It was good to see Draisaitl engaged. I've never questioned the effort, but the execution was lacking, and it was like he was trying too hard sometimes, and overthinking it. He seems to match up better with size, like Malkin, over speed. If he gets going away from McDavid (and he needs to) it bodes well.

McDavid played 28:26 tonight - a number you rarely see from a forward. I worry about riding him too much, but he seems to be able to handle it fine. We'll see as the season progresses.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

C2E SME

The thing I liked was seeing more secondary scoring. Draisaitl and Chaisson each had two goals.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I have to echo Jimbo and the CTV late-night guy after showing highlights and Sid's winner.

"Hoo boy, that was filthy..."
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    From what I was able to watch it seemed Sid, McDavid, and Draisaitl were extra motivated and put on a good show. Malkin had a softer game than I've been seeing from him this year. He's tied with McDavid for points, and PPG.

All the talk about who's the greatest, and who's the best, is fun. But sometimes I think we get obsessed with two or three players when there's a lot of players playing great right now. MacKinnon is picking up where he left off, along with Rantanen and Landeskog (+ 11 and + 12 respectively). Bergeron is playing great too, and Pasternak has 10 goals, sitting one point behind Matthews. Along with Marchand that line might be the best in the game, but there's competition there too.

It was good to see Draisaitl engaged. I've never questioned the effort, but the execution was lacking, and it was like he was trying too hard sometimes, and overthinking it. He seems to match up better with size, like Malkin, over speed. If he gets going away from McDavid (and he needs to) it bodes well.

McDavid played 28:26 tonight - a number you rarely see from a forward. I worry about riding him too much, but he seems to be able to handle it fine. We'll see as the season progresses.
    As much as Draisaitl played better, he was getting better puck luck last night. For instance the first goal. In earlier games that puck isn't falling to his blade. DRai is made something like 20 inside moves like that and none of them have worked. On this play the miraculously evades two Pens players, stays on Drais blade, he's even surprised, and he snipes it. He's also already scored 2 other goals of the same quality as the goal across snipe. Drai is a very accomplished shooter, that is wasted as he gets very few quality passes on his own line.

If we contrast the Pastrnak vs Drai situation P is playing with two allstars who produce at an extremely high level. He's playing with those guys always. He also benefits from 2 legit PMD on the Bruins that move the puck well. He further benefits from the Bruins having a good PP. Draisaitl on any given night has players that scored no more than 12 goals all of last season and with the exception of Lucic have never scored many at this level. Additionally Drais top linemate this season had 34 pts last season and 10 goals. Drai isn't getting a lot of help.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    I have to echo Jimbo and the CTV late-night guy after showing highlights and Sid's winner.

"Hoo boy, that was filthy..."
    Crosby is one of the few players that can truly make something out of nothing. Its uncanny how he created that goal. Sublime magic. His first goal was hands of the gods stuff as well. You won't find a better deflection in tight than that one and it was all twine.

By my eyes Crosby is the indisputed best NHL player prior to McD for a decade. Just because he's an allround player, and that his typical usage is with weak linemates, he doesn['t get the glory as much, but he should. He carries virtually any player to heights. In a capped league Crosby is such an asset. Any line with Crosby on it is dangerous.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

As much as Draisaitl played better, he was getting better puck luck last night. For instance the first goal. In earlier games that puck isn't falling to his blade. DRai is made something like 20 inside moves like that and none of them have worked. On this play the miraculously evades two Pens players, stays on Drais blade, he's even surprised, and he snipes it. He's also already scored 2 other goals of the same quality as the goal across snipe. Drai is a very accomplished shooter, that is wasted as he gets very few quality passes on his own line.

If we contrast the Pastrnak vs Drai situation P is playing with two allstars who produce at an extremely high level. He's playing with those guys always. He also benefits from 2 legit PMD on the Bruins that move the puck well. He further benefits from the Bruins having a good PP. Draisaitl on any given night has players that scored no more than 12 goals all of last season and with the exception of Lucic have never scored many at this level. Additionally Drais top linemate this season had 34 pts last season and 10 goals. Drai isn't getting a lot of help.
    Draisaitl may not be getting a lot of help this season, but he doesn't draw the oppositions top line either, or more important, the top D pairing. He should be feasting on the oppositions second and third lines and weaker D. Most of his points to date have come playing with McDavid. He gets at least as much PP time as Pasternak to my eye.

I'm not suggesting he isn't good enough. I think he is. I thought maybe he carried a little too much weight last season. He was lumbering, like a Lucic. Straight line. It seems to work better against the Getzlafs, Thorntons, and Kopitars than against quick guys.

I like him when he has some edge work to his game, especially the cut to the middle. He seems lighter this season, and I think it's going to help. I like him with Chiasson and Reider too. I can see them working. Not just passengers.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

C2E Long Term Contributor

Oilers victory over Preds! #plantheparade
    ďYou have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.Ē - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

ok, maybe i should wait until after tomorrow’s game in chicago but i will happily retract some of my sentiment from post 43 - we’ll see tomorrow.
    Last edited by kcantor; 27-10-2018 at 05:10 PM.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

2 goals for Draisaitl 2 by Caggs. It could have easily been 6-3 with a couple of near empty netters. For once officiating called it down the middle. Koskinen was awesome. At this time of day Oilers are 8th in the West lol. TM should keep Koski in net tomorrow.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Instead of finding a way to lose they are finding a way to win. I hope they keep it going.

Seems Oilers have given Kassian permission to seek a trade, according to Elliotte Friedman.

Permission?

I'd bet they are hoping like heck Kassian finds a new home. Can't see too many teams jumping at the chance.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Wish Oilers brass would show Strome the exit as well.

C2E SME

Strome is starting to hold his own, although he has a little way to go. Kassian is having a challenging time.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm sure you notice how Crosby "undressed him" when #87 scored that goal? Granted Crosby can make a "move like that" on any player. Strome is imo a 3rd liner. He's not worth the contract he's playing for. I agree Kassian is having a bad go of things but at the same time if he wants out of Edmonton, he probably is not going to get a lot of offers. He's a dime a dozen player in a saturated market. I wish him well. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Strome is imo a 3rd liner.
    Well.... Strome is on the 3rd line.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Umm, yes, thanks. I know

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo
    Strome is imo a 3rd liner. He's not worth the contract he's playing for.

He's being played as the 3rd line center, and at 3.1m/season he's being paid appropriately for the position. My only complaint with Strome this year is that he's not managed to get a point, and he's taken a few too many penalties.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Seems everything he touches turns to ruin. The good news even with Larsons cage the Oilers D are showing signs of real improvment. I'm beginning to be a fan of klefbom.

What you think of Koskinen now?
    ďYou have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.Ē - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

pittsburghís anthem singer does a fine job with both anthems but someone should tell her weíve changed the words to ours...

pittsburghís anthem singer does a fine job with both anthems but someone should tell her weíve changed the words to ours...
    Detroit one too. Doesnít bother me, I kind of like it the old way. At least they donít sing it soooooo slow like R. Clark. Folks canít even sing along as he drags words out. Heís gotta speed up on it. Drives me crazy. I have to mute him.

C2E Continued Contributor

I'm sure you notice how Crosby "undressed him" when #87 scored that goal? Granted Crosby can make a "move like that" on any player. Strome is imo a 3rd liner. He's not worth the contract he's playing for. I agree Kassian is having a bad go of things but at the same time if he wants out of Edmonton, he probably is not going to get a lot of offers. He's a dime a dozen player in a saturated market. I wish him well. Just sayin.
    Kassian makes so much room for his line mates, they were especially great last night. Everything you want from a fourth line and then some.

BTW, this season SportsNet (channel 23 on Shaw) repeats many Oilers games the next morning, sometimes a couple times. For example, last night's game against Detroit is re-run this morning at 2am, 8am, and noon.

Next Sunday's Colorado game is repeated Monday at 11am.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Kassian makes so much room for his line mates, they were especially great last night. Everything you want from a fourth line and then some.
    I hope Kassian has 2nd thoughts about a trade. Part of the key to the Oilers success this season is "Active sticks." At least that's what tv commentary was saying. And of course Koskinen's awesome goaltending. Oilers are in Washington tomorrow, and if they can keep this up, going forward the Oilers should make the post season. There are a couple of 4 game road trips and even a 5 game road trip ahead in the schedule. As long as this current line up remains healthy, the Oilers could get to the top of their Division. As we all know that's where the road to the promise land begins. I'm now very optimistic for this season.

I thought Zack said reports of him wanting a trade were fake news.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I didn't hear about this, thanks. Might have been in a tweet, which I don't pay attention to Twitter.

Kassian did an interview with Jason Gregor and refuted all those rumours. I think his quote was along the lines of "I was scratched, so my agent did his job and started asking questions."

He then talked about how he loves it here and hasn't asked for a trade.

C2E Continued Contributor

That was news that shouldnít be news. Itís actually really common for agents to explore options for their clients when theyíre sitting games out. Itís for the good of their careers and I would fire an agent if he werenít watching my back. It by no means should be interpreted as an unhappy player.

It looks like the Oilers don't suck this year.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ They can have a good start but the season isn't over. Lets see how the Oilers do around March daylight savings time 2019.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Well thanks for the loss Cam Talbot. That goal over his left shoulder never would have gone in if Koskinen was in net. That goal took any momentum the Oilers had going forward. However at some point TM had to play Talbot. He is the starting goaltender after all.
    Last edited by envaneo; 05-11-2018 at 09:32 PM.

Sorry, my bad - I chose to watch the game.

I wonder how long Joel Quenneville remains unemployed?

And, on a related note, ...

C2E SME

I don’t think he’ll end up with the Ottawa Senators, after all the Uber comments.

C2E SME

I

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ ?

Uber is reviewing their privacy policy in the light of all that. You just got to be careful of what you say these days.

^ ?

Uber is reviewing their privacy policy in the light of all that. You just got to be careful of what you say these days.
    How careful are people when sharing a cab/Uber home with co-workers after a fun night on the town? Drunk, off-guard, relaxed, unfiltered, and easy prey for a "gotcha".

They need to inform passengers, prior to their getting in the car, that they may be filmed. Some cabs do this already in some cities, with a sticker on the window. It's equivalent to the "this call may be monitored for x purpose" message. They also need an explicit policy regarding what they can and will do with any recordings.

The driver was engaged in a professional capacity to provide a service, and clients have a reasonable expectation of privacy. It was certainly assumed.

I hope he gets his *** sued off. It's a grey area legally. It's black and white for Uber's business.

Joel Quenneville can sit on his butt for the next two years, cashing $6M annually in cheques. I'm sure people reached out right away. The NHL seems to like cycling about 40 coaches among 30 teams. He's one of the greats of our time. I'm sure a few currently employed coaches are looking over their shoulder, if they weren't already.

He looks so angry and mean all the time. But everybody says he's a down to earth nice guy, and everybody seems love him. Possibly the most respected coach around. Everybody knows he isn't the problem in Chicago.

I can't see him wanting any part of the tire fire in Ottawa. Money talks, of course, but it's Melnyk.

Willie Desjardins is "temporary" in LA. But they have some of the same issues as CHI, up against the cap with aging superstars.

Philly is a possibility. A good team that's underperforming. Their window is open right now. He could help.

They seem to be tiring of the John Tortorella show in Columbus. Personally, I think he's managed to wring everything they had out of that lineup.

I think Carlyle's time in Anaheim may be coming to an end.

And if the Oilers lose in Florida, I dunno ...
    Last edited by Jimbo; 07-11-2018 at 07:00 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I don't blame TM so much. Like I keep saying coaches don't win games, players do.

^ ?

How careful are people when sharing a cab/Uber home with co-workers after a fun night on the town? Drunk, off-guard, relaxed, unfiltered, and easy prey for a "gotcha".
    Have these people never heard of "Taxicab Confessions," the old HBO show? They had some INSANE stuff on there; and that's all from people who AGREED to having it aired afterwards. I wonder what else they had that people didn't consent to showing...
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo
    He looks so angry and mean all the time.

I've always felt he was a dead ringer for Stalin. Like, he could do that for Halloween and all he'd need is a T-shirt with a red star or hammer/sickle.

I don't blame TM so much. Like I keep saying coaches don't win games, players do.
    I donít understand why he doesnít just let Connor and Leon play together. They make a good one two scoring punch. Could be the best line in the NHL but no we must separate them. Crazy. He played them together towards the end of the game but by then it was too late. Heís always shuffling guys around, you have to leave guys together so they play well together. I think one of the main things holding the team back is TM. If you can get a Quenneville right now take him. Always try to improve any chance you get. Never let up. Just my opinion.

Another reason not to Uber.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm not a mind reader but I'd hazzard a guess that the coach separates McDavid and Draisaitl to balance scoring between the first and 2nd lines.

As for Uber, I've never used it.

Oh I know that is their intent but I still donít understand it. Leave those two together and you increase both their productions by 50%. Establish other lines but donít destroy your best one to do it.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Absolutely. Now that Ty Rattie is back in the line up there TM has options.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Another reason not to Uber.
    another reason not to uber or another reason not to conduct yourself like that?

You would have to not consume alcohol. A big reason cabs make money is because people drink alcohol. They are just shooting themselves in the foot if you ask me. I think the guy should be charged with something. If there is no law make one. Filming someone, without their knowledge, then showing the world should be illegal.

To do such things to your paying customers can not be good for business. What if your favorite coffee shop had hidden mics in the tables and recorded your conversations with your business associates then broadcast it to the world. Itís not right. Would you go back there next time? No. Find a regular greasy spoon next time in Chinatown. When I see an Uber driver doing this I know I wonít be using the service again. Iíll take a regular cab with a smelly old hippie or a foreigner with bad English behind the wheel any day over some cocky Iím so great Uber driver. At least you can trust them. To heck with Uber. Iíll never use them now. Sorry, Iíve made up my mind.

Lucic had a talk with Player Safety regarding jumping that guy, and was fined.

The Oilers were calling for a 6 year suspension.

^ROFLAMO Jimbo!! Good one.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm just following this afternoons game in a browser window. I'll pick up on it when and if we got a game going.

I donít care what the announced attendance is I am witnessing friends and relatives and Canadian tourists at the game. The rest is empty. I would estimate 3 or 4 thousand at the most. I know they will announce a lot but I would have to call that missing in action sold seats. Itís very sad to me when there are cities in Canada that would love a team and would fill the arena each night.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

2-0 for the Home team. I'm not missing much not watching the Oilers tonight. So far they suck.

I've been to Golden Bears games that had a bigger crowd.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

3-1 Panthers. Maybe its time to bring Quenneville in as an assistant coach.

yup

Or........

3-1 Panthers. Maybe its time to bring Quenneville in as an assistant coach.
    Quenneville has two years left at $6M per. Lots of time if he wants to decompress, and wait for the right situation. He has lots of options now, I expect.

Maybe he wants to jump right back on the horse. In some way I think the situation in Edmonton might be ideal. Maybe Gretz can talk him into it.

But the Oilers are up against the cap too, and haven't won anything, except the draft.

I like Todd McLellan. But if it's not working, ...

Quenneville is one of the best coaches in NHL history in my opinion. He'd be great.

But if there's a coaching change, I'd be surprised if it wasn't Gulutzan.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Replace TM with Gulutzan? Anything is possible but I doubt Quenneville would sign with Edmonton, even at $7m.

^ Replace TM with Gulutzan? Anything is possible but I doubt Quenneville would sign with Edmonton, even at $7m.

I think if Oil pay him $7M it's added on top of the $6M he's getting. That would be $13M a year for two years (I doubt he'd sign a one year contract). Maybe $7M for a lot longer. He can call his shot with a few teams.

$26M USD (vs $12M) is a ton of cheddar for a guy who'll be 62 in two years.

I'll be surprised if he turns down an offer near that. He might get a few. Maybe even more. LA has to be calling.

In the last 9 years only 5 coaches have won a Cup. He's won 3 cups. I think he might still be the best coach in the league for a guy like McDavid, because of the way Toews and Kane started out with him, and were so successful. The team started winning when Toews became a better, more complete player. He knows how to win it all like no other coach alive.

I'd be really excited if the Oilers could get him.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-11-2018 at 02:32 AM.

The heat is always on McLellan. I think he does pretty well under those conditions. Not getting enough help from the players, or the management.

Some teams are loading up their top line with their best talent. I'm seeing it more these days.

Others take the spread it around and keep 3 or 4 strong lines approach.

I like Draisaitl with McDavid, and I like RNH with McDavid. Both might be cool to see. Draisaitl is playing well now.

He should be more dominant as a 2nd line centre. He either faces the other teams 2nd line, away from their best checkers, or, fairly often, he's out against a dead tired first checking line that chased McDavid's line around for a long shift.

Two trains of thought each makes some sense, and each has it's risk.

Nothing would help the Oilers like Draisaitl cranking it up without McDavid. I'm just waiting for it to happen.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I shouldn't 2nd guess anyone. Coaching McDavid, might be motivation enough for Quenneville to sign with the Oilers. And remember Pat Quinn was something like 66 when he was the Oilers head coach even though it was for 1 year. It would be exciting indeed if Oilers could sign him.

C2E SME

I don’t care what the announced attendance is I am witnessing friends and relatives and Canadian tourists at the game. The rest is empty. I would estimate 3 or 4 thousand at the most. I know they will announce a lot but I would have to call that missing in action sold seats. It’s very sad to me when there are cities in Canada that would love a team and would fill the arena each night.
    Announced attendance was 11k, but yeah, it looked barely half that. However, the finances of hockey teams aren't only based on ticket sales. Generally NHL teams get full control of the rink and all revenues, so even if the place is half full for hockey, they could well be turning a profit based on other revenues, TV deals, etc.

I think if Oil pay him $7M it's added on top of the $6M he's getting. That would be $13M a year for two years (I doubt he'd sign a one year contract). Maybe $7M for a lot longer. He can call his shot with a few teams.
    His existing guaranteed contract with Chicago would become null and void if he accepted an offer elsewhere. He wouldn't be cashing two cheques.

I'll be surprised if he turns down an offer near that. He might get a few. Maybe even more. LA has to be calling.
    Why would he go to LA? They're about to rebuild. He'll want a 4-5 year deal at 6m/per season with a team that has a good chance of winning a cup in short order. He can sit on the sidelines for the next year and pick his spot.

And there's little chance that the Oilers take a run at him, or that he would be interested. The Oilers literally have 3 NHL head coaches (McLellan, Yawney and Gulutzan) on the bench and a head coach of the future in Viveiros. If they do can McLellan, one of the other 3 will likely be given the job since they're already in the system. I highly doubt that Katz would be thrilled with having to pay out the remainder of McLellan's contract while also throwing a huge deal at Quenneville.

From his perspective, he'd know that the organization is a tire fire of interference from ownership and past players and see how poorly constructed the team was. I just can't see him being interested in the situation here.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Won't any team wanting Quenneville have to give something up to the Blackhawks, like a draft pick?
    Last edited by SP59; 09-11-2018 at 01:00 PM.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Wont any team wanting Quenneville have to give something up to the Blackhawks, like a draft pick?
    No, they rescinded that idiotic rule after it screwed the Oilers out of 2 2nd round picks for Chiarelli and McLellan.

That was insane. Thanks Marcel.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

With Oilers losing like the price of oil dropping, this two steps forward and 3 steps backward results isn't helping in the standings. Oilers need to win Sunday. Since players can be a healthy scratch, why can't a coach? Lets see what Mclellan's coaching staff can do.

With Oilers losing like the price of oil dropping, this two steps forward and 3 steps backward results isn't helping in the standings. Oilers need to win Sunday. Since players can be a healthy scratch, why can't a coach? Lets see what Mclellan's coaching staff can do.
    Great idea evaneo!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ If that's sarcasm, its all good

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Wont any team wanting Quenneville have to give something up to the Blackhawks, like a draft pick?
    No, they rescinded that idiotic rule after it screwed the Oilers out of 2 2nd round picks for Chiarelli and McLellan.
    you mean it's too late to undo?

The Oilers keep losing and none of the bozos running this organization are going to do anything. They wonít fire themselves. They are like peas in a pod. It would have to be someone in ownership that takes the bull by the horns. Katz and/or Partner WG. Just get angry and clean house.

They lost 3 games in 4 nights, 2 of which were against top teams. Everybody needs to relax.

The heat is always on McLellan. I think he does pretty well under those conditions. Not getting enough help from the players, or the management.

Some teams are loading up their top line with their best talent. I'm seeing it more these days.

I like Draisaitl with McDavid, and I like RNH with McDavid. Both might be cool to see. Draisaitl is playing well now.

He should be more dominant as a 2nd line centre. He either faces the other teams 2nd line, away from their best checkers, or, fairly often, he's out against a dead tired first checking line that chased McDavid's line around for a long shift.

Nothing would help the Oilers like Draisaitl cranking it up without McDavid. I'm just waiting for it to happen.
    Draisaitl, invariably, has been out against topsix opposition which in almost every game constitute better opponents than the particular linemates he's gifted by this team. Really its incredible he's floating. MOST clubs have a solid topsix and play matching strengths. Days of checking lines is largely over.

Not sure what you mean either by "should be more dominant" Its hard to do that 5 on 5 on your own. So far this year he's had a not nearly ready for primetime Yamamoto, Never arrived Puljujarvi, Dead on arrival Lucic, Rieder, and PTO Chiasson. Not exactly a wrecking crew to work with.

Astoundingly Drai is tied for the team lead in goals despite playing vast majority of toi with linemates that are not helping production.

How much is Drai supposed to crank it. He's on pace for 50 goals as a 2c with inadequate linemates.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    They lost 3 games in 4 nights, 2 of which were against top teams. Everybody needs to relax.
    Smart post, good advice. Accepted and received

It gets tiring hearing that for 25 years. Right now we have the generational best player in the world. Last time we had that we won five Stanley cups. Four with him and one carryover. Against top teams you say, well the paying citizens and all fans would like the oilers to be a top team too. Nothing wrong with that really. I hope it happens but itís hard to believe it will on most nights. I find myself disagreeing with a lot of coaching decisions, as I do with the Eskimoís. I donít believe in blaming the players I think we have good players. Getting the best out of them is called good coaching. Just have to say we are lucky to have teams I guess. Could be worse and so on.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 10-11-2018 at 02:43 PM.

No team wins every game. This team has shown that they can compete with the best in the league already this season, but appear to be having consistency issues. That doesn't mean trade immediately or have another knee-jerk reaction. Make slight changes, but I don't think a big shake-up is the right thing at this time.

Iím not blaming the players. I feel for them. I think itís other staff that is getting them turned upside down most of the time. Look what happened to all the number ones that went through here.

Yamamoto and Puljujarvi sent to the minors

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

i donít expect them to win every game. but i do expect them to be able to win every game. and thatís the consistency that seems to missing - again?/still? - with this team. the players are the same from game to game - from year to year for all intents and purposes recently - so i donít think it rests with the players as much as how theyíre being managed/used. is that solely a behind the bench consequence or is it deeper/higher in the organization than that? i donít know but i do suspect itís primarily the latter with a dose of the former.

Well said, as usual Ken.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Poor Puljujarvi

Ya, another top pick getting ruined by the organization.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

if it was up to me they would keep puljujarvi - and maybe yamamoto - here and send lucic down... at least jesse and kyler have potential upside and could use milanís minutes to get there.

Great players but you can almost see potential being sucked right out of them here. Like so many others.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

if it was up to me they would keep puljujarvi - and maybe yamamoto - here and send lucic down... at least jesse and kyler have potential upside and could use milan’s minutes to get there.
    Big salaries for under achievers. Puljujarvi, Yam, Lucic should all go to the minors. Thank goodness for charter flights. But remember for every player shipped the coach has got to fill that spot with another player. Its a crap shoot basically.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Great players but you can almost see potential being sucked right out of them here. Like so many others.
    Echo's the feelings of many from the fan base for sure. Isn't this about where the team Captain comes on the ice for a team meeting and says win one for the Gipper? lol

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Echo's the feelings of many from the fan base for sure. Isn't this about where the team Captain comes on the ice for a team meeting and says win one for the Gipper? lol
    the team captain can only do that on certain occasions on a limited number of times basis. outside of those occasions, it's up to the gipper to prepare the team to do what's necessary on a regular basis while it's up to management to give the gipper the players and the authority to manage them as he sees fit.

Lucic may have a one-way contract so he can't be sent down.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

the team captain can only do that on certain occasions on a limited number of times basis. outside of those occasions, it's up to the gipper to prepare the team to do what's necessary on a regular basis while it's up to management to give the gipper the players and the authority to manage them as he sees fit.
    The "Gipper" is really a fictional character. Its been known on some Oilers teams of yore where when the team is floundering the team Captain can essentially (with the coaches permission) have on ice closed meeting with the team Captain. The reasons for these on ice talks is to inspire the team. I can't recall when the last time this has happened. Might have been with Ference not sure.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Do we know for sure if Lucic has a one way contract?

Do we know for sure if Lucic has a one way contract?
    Yes, no movement, they cannot send him down.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I thought the no movement meant to another NHL team.

I think it's both. No movement, and can't send him down. No buyout either.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

I think it's both. No movement, and can't send him down. No buyout either.
    maybe they could just make him a healthy scratch and play the kids? they might make mistakes but thereís no way they can kill as many plays as milan. i liked what he first brought but that contract is stupid and heís no longer bringing it. one goal in 16 games is just unde 1.2 million a goal and heís -7.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Draisaitl, invariably, has been out against topsix opposition which in almost every game constitute better opponents than the particular linemates he's gifted by this team. Really its incredible he's floating. MOST clubs have a solid topsix and play matching strengths. Days of checking lines is largely over.

Not sure what you mean either by "should be more dominant" Its hard to do that 5 on 5 on your own. So far this year he's had a not nearly ready for primetime Yamamoto, Never arrived Puljujarvi, Dead on arrival Lucic, Rieder, and PTO Chiasson. Not exactly a wrecking crew to work with.

Astoundingly Drai is tied for the team lead in goals despite playing vast majority of toi with linemates that are not helping production.

How much is Drai supposed to crank it. He's on pace for 50 goals as a 2c with inadequate linemates.
    +/- needs to be taken in context, but it's still important.

Like I said, he's playing well. But no way he faces the kind of attention from the other teams top forwards that McDavid does. And, for sure, he's often sent out against a tired line that played an extra long shift against McDavid's line.

I think that's part of the Oilers strategy. Sounds smart, to me. On paper, his line should be more dominant. That's what I mean.

I don't fully buy the weak linemates excuse, on the second line. They've tried just about everybody, except McDavid and RNH.

He's playing good. I think he can be better, and will.

I don't mind the idea of stacking the top line with the 3 best players. I see it more often today. Sometimes it works.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast