Thread: Downtown parking - thoughts?

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Downtown parking - thoughts?

Applying the parking brakes

Making things tougher for downtown commuters is crucial to creating a better downtown experience for all, urban experts believe

By: Kelly Taylor

Conventional wisdom, at least in Winnipeg, holds that the key to a successful downtown is making it easy for suburbanites to drive downtown and park wherever they wish.

Conventional wisdom, it appears, is wrong.

A look at cities suggests abundant parking is not a benefit, but rather a bane, to a successful downtown, which experts say is vital to the economic well-being of all parts of a city.

"There are very few things more important to a cityís and a suburbís success than a vibrant downtown," says Brent Toderian, a city planning consultant and president of the Council for Canadian Urbanism. "Thatís true whether an individual ever comes downtown or not."

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...461331603.html

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Continued Contributor

I would say itís not appropriate to measure our downtown against one with a population of 120,000 where land is locked and at a premium. By making our downtown less inviting, youíre only going to drive people away and ask under 9000 people to support all the local businesses.

Our culture is automobile centric, our climate is hostile, and our mass transit is a joke. Until these things change, or until our downtown population reaches a point where it can internally sustain local businesses, I would say making driving downtown difficult is a dangerous game that could hurt revitalization efforts.

In my opinion.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Except for the citadel and the Winspear, I can get everything I want at various malls, with parking.. I'm happy..

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    I would say it’s not appropriate to measure our downtown against one with a population of 120,000 where land is locked and at a premium. By making our downtown less inviting, you’re only going to drive people away and ask under 9000 people to support all the local businesses.

Our culture is automobile centric, our climate is hostile, and our mass transit is a joke. Until these things change, or until our downtown population reaches a point where it can internally sustain local businesses, I would say making driving downtown difficult is a dangerous game that could hurt revitalization efforts.

In my opinion.
    Very well said!

Parking needs to be done the correct way, hidden from view behind CRUs and residential.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.