Thread: Edmonton clarifies bylaw on how quick you must clear your sidewalks

Default Edmonton clarifies bylaw on how quick you must clear your sidewalks

I find this hilarious

https://globalnews.ca/news/4631293/e...nter-48-hours/

On Monday morning, a city spokesperson said in an interview with several media outlets that a 48-hour grace period after a snow event was “a guideline, but it was never a bylaw requirement” and that bylaw officers “can ticket immediately after a snow event.”
    Seriously? Read further down, and they also mention that you must clear your sidewalks repeatedly during days of constant snowfall...

Funny how the city will wait through several days of continuous snowfall and only deploy plows once it has stopped snowing. It also takes days, sometimes over a week to do my residential area. Sometimes they don't come at all and it gets cleared by traffic over the weeks. Yet I'm expected to immediately clear my sidewalk?

Don't get me wrong, I do clear my sidewalk, but that doesn't mean I agree with this hypocritical bylaw. I would love for an entire residential neighborhood, or a street of businesses to band together and refuse to clear sidewalks until the city passes a plow on their street, just to drive the point across. Yeah you get a fine, but then everyone just appeals it. Make a stink of it. This double-standard is a joke. If the city expects it, then they should provide the same service. And I don't only mean the streets. City-maintained sidewalks also take several days or even a week to get cleared....

It makes a lot of sense to require snow clearing immediately rather than waiting 48 hours, and not waiting until after it's stopped snowing.

But yeah, the irony of this policy with the city's poor record on the snow-clearing front is a bit much. I don't expect every street to be clear right away, but they should be out with all available equipment 16 hours a day as soon as there's couple inches of snow on the ground. I don't care where they start, but too often in the past few years I would see zero evidence of any snow clearing effort at all until it was pretty much over, even when we get a good dump and sensible cars are bottoming out on arterials.
    There can only be one.

Oh, I noticed yesterday as I passed on my way home that all the sidewalks within Borden Park had been cleared, but the sidewalk along 112ave that people actually use to get places hadn't been touched. The city obviously had equipment and manpower there but they couldn't be bothered to do the whole job.
    There can only be one.

...or they're handled by different groups (e.g., Parks & Rec vs Transportation), and some people are so quick to condemn something that they can't be bothered to stop and consider anything beyond that condemnation
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

I'm sure that's the issue. But it shouldn't be an issue. Maybe sidewalks adjoining parks need to be added to the parks people's scope, or maybe the separate departments shouldn't each have a separate fleet of equipment with separate priorities, and instead have just one.

Sidewalks and bus stops should be at least as high on the priorities list as paths through parks.
    There can only be one.

Yup nothing like double standards to push people in the opposite direction.

It’s an ongoing issue though.this was 2004:

Kerry Diotte tells Edmonton where to stick its snow - SooToday.com

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/...its-snow-94711
    Last edited by KC; 06-11-2018 at 04:45 PM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Funny thing how the city has raised taxes somewhere around %10 in 3 years. They DON'T clear residentials and they have the balls to threaten homeowners. I'm SOOOO tempted.....
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    ...or they're handled by different groups (e.g., Parks & Rec vs Transportation), and some people are so quick to condemn something that they can't be bothered to stop and consider anything beyond that condemnation
    that’s nonsense even if it is “the reason”. that’s like having three kids, one who does the driveway, one who does the sidewalk and one who does your sidewalk. if the one who is supposed to do the city sidewalk doesn’t, it’s still your responsibility to get it done or to deal with the consequences of it not being done. you don’t get to say “but my other kids did my sidewalk and the driveway”.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    Funny thing how the city has raised taxes somewhere around %10 in 3 years. They DON'T clear residentials and they have the balls to threaten homeowners. I'm SOOOO tempted.....
    They do clear residential roads though. Maybe not every single time there is a trace amount of snow.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    It makes a lot of sense to require snow clearing immediately rather than waiting 48 hours, and not waiting until after it's stopped snowing.

But yeah, the irony of this policy with the city's poor record on the snow-clearing front is a bit much. I don't expect every street to be clear right away, but they should be out with all available equipment 16 hours a day as soon as there's couple inches of snow on the ground. I don't care where they start, but too often in the past few years I would see zero evidence of any snow clearing effort at all until it was pretty much over, even when we get a good dump and sensible cars are bottoming out on arterials.
    Disagree. It makes sense to start plowing immediately on major roads where snow gets packed into ice within hours, but that doesn't happen on most sidewalks, or on minor roads. Requiring people to shovel sidewalks twice a day is ridiculous. There was nothing wrong with the 48 hours after the end of snowfall guideline. At that point it is nicely packed and easily scraped off with a shovel. Leaving snow on the sidewalk is also a good thing if freezing rain is in the forecast - the only sidewalks that won't be covered in adhered ice tomorrow are the ones that were covered in snow this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    I'm sure that's the issue. But it shouldn't be an issue. Maybe sidewalks adjoining parks need to be added to the parks people's scope, or maybe the separate departments shouldn't each have a separate fleet of equipment with separate priorities, and instead have just one.

Sidewalks and bus stops should be at least as high on the priorities list as paths through parks.
    I agree there though. Dividing city services into fifedoms instead of integrating everything delivers poor service and costs more money for all of the duplication.

The sidewalk on the east side of 107 Street - south of 102 Ave - fronting one or two of the surface parking lots is a freaking disgrace. The ice is so thick there, it doesn't seem possible there's been any attempt at all - all season to clear.

Haven't been by the Arlington in a few years. It was a serial offender back then. Is that still the case?
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    They do clear residential roads though. Maybe not every single time there is a trace amount of snow.
    I don't expect them to. ONCE a winter would be a vast improvement.And NOT with the butter knife under the sanding truck.That AND gravel OR the equivalent at the end of the block.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

I guess you must live in a different city than I do, and even when the city fails to get to my neighbourhood road within a blink of an eye, I have winter tires on, and never have any issues.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    The sidewalk on the east side of 107 Street - south of 102 Ave - fronting one or two of the surface parking lots is a freaking disgrace. The ice is so thick there, it doesn't seem possible there's been any attempt at all - all season to clear.

Haven't been by the Arlington in a few years. It was a serial offender back then. Is that still the case?
    Call 311
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I emailed. Their response was, what was the address, my name and contact # (in case bylaw enforcement laid a charge)

Do parking lots have addresses?

Anyway, this morning the worst offender was better (mind you DT it was +3). The worst was in front of the parking lot now closed, which I believe is owned by the city.
    ... gobsmacked