Thread: Lowes closing stores in U.S & Canada

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Lowes closing stores in U.S & Canada

Doesn't surprise,their service is non-existent
    https://globalnews.ca/news/4630083/l...fJF_-owGT03bCg
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

for perspective:

“More than 6,700 stores closed last year, more than 3,800 stores have closed this year and landlords face a virtually nonexistent pool of tenants that can singlehandedly backfill these vacancies. Besides the 142 Sears and Kmart stores scheduled to close, other closures this year have included 256 Bon-Ton stores, 200 Gap and Banana Republic stores, 800-plus Toys R Us stores and smaller numbers of Lord & Taylor, J.C. Penney, Macy’s and other stores.”

these are shopping centre numbers only, predominantly in the us, so they don’t capture everything in both countries and they probably underrepresent both independents and storefronts as the original article was focused on co-tenancy implications.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    for perspective:

“More than 6,700 stores closed last year, more than 3,800 stores have closed this year and landlords face a virtually nonexistent pool of tenants that can singlehandedly backfill these vacancies. Besides the 142 Sears and Kmart stores scheduled to close, other closures this year have included 256 Bon-Ton stores, 200 Gap and Banana Republic stores, 800-plus Toys R Us stores and smaller numbers of Lord & Taylor, J.C. Penney, Macy’s and other stores.”

these are shopping centre numbers only, predominantly in the us, so they don’t capture everything in both countries and they probably underrepresent both independents and storefronts as the original article was focused on co-tenancy implications.
    Finding uses for the big block stores must be a major challenge.

The old Eagle on St Albert Trail was repurposed but I don’t know what uses were found for any other vacated sites.

If they were to be pulled down, there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of walls and roof, but what are the floors made of? Do floors have to be pulled up as well - or can they be turned near as is into parking lots and storage yards?

How many big empty warehouses do we have in the city?
    Last edited by KC; 07-11-2018 at 09:10 AM.

We all know what happened to Heritage Mall which was worth $110M one year and everyone thought at the time that Southgate was going to close. A year later, Southgate was booming and Heritage Mall dropped in value to $10M and became a wrecking ball magnet.

Deadmalls.com
    http://deadmalls.com/malls/heritage_mall.html
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Where did you get that information. Heritage mall was dead in the late 80s which saw it closed down before mid nineties. Southgate was also on life support up until the oil boom which saw an expansion around 2004 that revived the mall. I clearly recall how Southgate almost got the same faith as heritage.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Where did YOU get your information? How could it have closed before the mid-nineties when Walmart just moved in during 1994?

Heritage mall was a busy and popular mall after construction in 1981. The first major tenant to leave was Eatons in 1993. In 1994 Woolco was converted to a Walmart. When Walmart moved out a few years later, the mall went into a death spiral as Sears moved out and took over the old Woodward location in Southgate in 2000. The major expansion at Southgate was completed in 2009, not 2004

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southgate_Centre
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolco
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 08-11-2018 at 08:31 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I use to frequent that mall and Southgate on the number 9 bus as a late teen going into my early 20s. There was nothing there at the time line which I mentioned as most stores were shut down. I don't recall Walmart being there, but if they did, they didn't rent the whole mall. If anyone recalled Capilano mall during its last stance, that was busier than Heritage by a mile, and Capilano was a disaster in the latter days.

Well if you cannot even remember Walmart taking over Woolco in Heritage mall, I highly doubt your recollection skills.

No one stated that Walmart took over the whole mall. Sears, Safeway, Eatons and Woolco were the original anchor tenants of the 150-165 store mall. They were far busier and larger than Capilano and were taking a lot of business away from Southgate. When Woodward's and their food store closed at Southgate, they were in serious trouble and were saved when Sears moved in.

I clearly recall the demise of Heritage and the EJ story on how the value dropped from $110M to $10M in just one year.

I have provided 3 sources of info and checked several others. You are just guessing.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 08-11-2018 at 02:27 PM.

I stopped frequenting the mall when Safeway moved out. When Walmart entered, the mall was dead.

And what year did Safeway leave? According to your previous comments, "Heritage mall was dead in the late 80s which saw it closed down before mid nineties."

Several sourced articles say the mall closed in 2001.

here is another
    https://edmontonlocal.ca/shopping/heritage-mall/

I think it was Safeway closed around mid 90s. I do recall Walmart moving in there now, but from what I remembered, they lasted in that location for 2 years or so. I started frequenting that mall in 1998 as an 18 year old to meet up with friends. There was nothing there. The mall was dead day, night, or weekends. If you classify a mall being opened because the lights were on...

So you have ZERO proof.

Proof of what ? Tell me what that mall was like from your version that my eyes could not see?

Forget it, I am not going to discuss your addled memory vs my sourced facts and my own personal recollection.

You can't even support your original statement "Heritage mall was dead in the late 80s which saw it closed down before mid nineties."

That means you relied on Google which is not always the most correct information. I'll reiterate, it died since 1988 and lingered on until the doors were locked. Just because the light was turned on in a building does not mean it was a functioning mall. It closed when businesses pulled out. When I started frequenting in 1988, there was nothing there for people to shop but Safeway and some mom and pops. Le Chateau was the last decent store which closed it's door around mid 90s. The only decent stores were Le Chateau and A&B records.

I provided multiple sources that prove you wrong. You are even changing the dates on the fly.

The fact that you can't even remember that Walmart renovated the Woolco store in 1993 and reopened as a Walmart in 1994 and used it for several years as well as Sears leaving only in 2000, clearly proves that your original statement insistence that the mall was "closed down before mid nineties" and now you double down and insist that " in 1988, there was nothing there for people to shop but Safeway and some mom and pops. Le Chateau was the last decent store which closed it's door around mid 90s." is clearly wrong unless you believe that in 1988, Woolco, Eatons and Sears are just some mom & pop run stores.

I think you have been smoking too much of, a now legal substance...

Your rants are laughable and let's leave it at that...

Is this about winning or losing for you? If one is a year or two from the actual date, does it matter? Did you not get the context of the dialogue. This mall pretty much closed it's door since 1988. The only thing open were the lights. Lights don't pay rent, so what do you not get aside from enjoying kindergarten semantics? That is like a child saying, " I'm not 5 years old... I'm 5 and 1/4."

Obviously you posted unsupported information and lost the debate. Then doubled sown.

Now you deflect by saying more half truths. Woolco/Walmart, Eatons and Sears were paying the rent.

Sad that you debased the discussion, I thought you were better than this.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 08-11-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Is this about winning or losing for you? If one is a year or two from the actual date, does it matter? Did you not get the context of the dialogue. This mall pretty much closed it's door since 1988. The only thing open were the lights. Lights don't pay rent, so what do you not get aside from enjoying kindergarten semantics? That is like a child saying, " I'm not 5 years old... I'm 5 and 1/4."
    emphasis added.

i'm not sure you're the right person to be asking that question of anyone else here. clearly your recollection of both dates and tenancies is substantively wrong in regard to anchor tenants (plural) and timing (more than a decade, not a year or two). instead of moving the goalposts and changing semantic references, it would be much easier for everyone if you just said "oops, my memory was a bit faulty on this one".

I wasn't going for the dates. I was trying to advocate that mall was dead since 1988. It was on the news how many times of its troubles. Like I said, why would it be defunct and toned down if it had clients as you said?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

I wasn't going for the dates. I was trying to advocate that mall was dead since 1988. It was on the news how many times of its troubles. Like I said, why would it be defunct and toned down if it had clients as you said?
    you started this when you said "dead in the late 80s which saw it closed down before mid nineties".

pretty much "going for dates" to me and factually wrong. no big deal and no big deal for anyone past kindergarten to accept.

no one said it wasn't struggling at the end but that's also a period of time (a) where everything was struggling and (b) a different period of time than you still want to assert.

Laughable

My original post has NO dates

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    We all know what happened to Heritage Mall which was worth $110M one year and everyone thought at the time that Southgate was going to close. A year later, Southgate was booming and Heritage Mall dropped in value to $10M and became a wrecking ball magnet.
    Then you go ballistic, misquoting a whole bunch of dates and claiming that I was wrong with my dates (that I did not state)

Where did you get that information. Heritage mall was dead in the late 80s which saw it closed down before mid nineties. Southgate was also on life support up until the oil boom which saw an expansion around 2004 that revived the mall. I clearly recall how Southgate almost got the same faith as heritage.

As far as as Heritage Mall being dead in the late 80's, yes Captain Obvious, the entire Western Canadian economy was in recession and all retail sales in Edmonton tanked. But two sourced websites state that Heritage Mall's success peaked in 1993-1994 and was fully rented out. The lights were on because there were paying tenants and 4 anchor stores.

It still took another decade for the anchor tenants to go bankrupt or relocate.

Woodward's corporate went bankrupt in 1993 (Southgate)
    Woolco corporate sold out to Walmart in 1994
    Walmart left a few years later to South Edmonton Common
    Eatons corporate went bankrupt in 1999 and was bought by Sears
    Sears moved to Southgate in 2000
    Marks and Spencer closed some stores in the late 90's and closed their last Canadian stores in 1999
    Safeway relocated but I cannot confirm the date
    The EJ published that the value dropped from $110M to $10M in one year
    All that was left were mom & pop shops

The mall closed in 2001 (and turned off the lights) and was torn down in 2007

Getting back on subject, I like Lowes selection.

I read in a USA Today newspaper a few months back, that the US has 50% more retail space per capita and store closures in the US will hurt more staff that in Canada.

ctzn-Ed will state that he read that in the mid-eighties when he was just entering grade school...
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 09-11-2018 at 10:01 AM.