Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extremists in the UCP

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by gwill211 View Post
    our economy is doing exactly what was expected??? What delusional world do you live in.....

If the NDP showed the economy was a priority in their first 3 years in govt they wouldnt be as hated as they are now. They'd actually stand a fighting chance.

The unfortunate reality is the priority of our govt has never been focused on the economy or jobs.

The irony is that, for those that have jobs (lifestyles) that are funded by the govt seem to forget that it's the taxes that are collected from taxpayers ( ie, workers/ corporations ) which make their jobs (lifestyle) possible. I really do not care too much which party is in power as long as they are 1) Enabling the conditions for wealth creation 2) Enabling employment 3) Sustainably utilizing our resources for jobs and growth. Once those criteria are being met, then there will be sufficient money for social programs.

Govt's should not be pandering to a specific interest group, be it teachers, nurses , oil companies. Sometimes the macro economics trumps micro economics. What I detest around election times are the teachers unions, nurses unions, dental college, provincial unions, dieticians union all telling us how wonderful they are and the enormous benefits that they provide. I get that they do a job in society, but are they any more worthy or important then the rest of us Joe Shmo's who actually pay their salaries ?
    Last edited by rupikhalon001; 01-02-2019 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rupikhalon001 View Post
    our economy is doing exactly what was expected??? What delusional world do you live in.....

If the NDP showed the economy was a priority in their first 3 years in govt they wouldnt be as hated as they are now. They'd actually stand a fighting chance.

The unfortunate reality is the priority of our govt has never been focused on the economy or jobs.

The irony is that, for those that have jobs (lifestyles) that are funded by the govt seem to forget that it's the taxes that are collected from taxpayers ( ie, workers/ corporations ) which make their jobs (lifestyle) possible. I really do not care too much which party is in power as long as they are 1) Enabling the conditions for wealth creation 2) Enabling employment 3) Sustainably utilizing our resources for jobs and growth. Once those criteria are being met, then there will be sufficient money for social programs.

Govt's should not be pandering to a specific interest group, be it teachers, nurses , oil companies. Sometimes the macro economics trumps micro economics. What I detest around election times are the teachers unions, nurses unions, dental college, provincial unions, dieticians union all telling us how wonderful they are and the enormous benefits that they provide. I get that they do a job in society, but are they any more worthy or important then the rest of us Joe Shmo's who actually pay their salaries ?
    Actually, I’d say there are very few workers in the private sector generating wealth for the province. The oil sands plants, once constructed employ relatively few people and some of those jobs are being automated. The exports which generate the wealth are of citizen / public resources only minimally upgraded by the private sector.

Unfortunately the agricultural and forestry sectors are small contributors compared to oil and gas extraction.

The old, now depleted, conventional oil production employed far more people.

Much of the private sector employment is just churning net import revenues - very much like public sector jobs. Moreover both private and public sector workers get taxed. Both types of worker buy private sector goods and services thus paying the salaries of the private sector workers.
    Last edited by KC; 01-02-2019 at 04:08 PM.

let me mention it again. If the ndp had put any focus on Alberta's economy or jobs they wouldnt be as hated as they are. Its unfortunate how far down the totem pole the economy/jobs issues were for the ndp for the vast majority of their tenure.

C2E Continued Contributor

^So what should the NDP have done to put more focus on Alberta's economy and jobs? Genuinely curious, because from what I've seen they've cared just as much as the previous government. The only response I ever get is the carbon tax, but that has been used to fund plenty of projects province wide.

They were tackling other issues, but that doesn't mean the economy wasn't important to them.

You think our ndp govt was pro industry as major oil sand player after major oil sand player sold their alberta assets?? Notley didnt stand up and fight for our oil sands until recently. Notley spoke against other pipelines that she should have fought for and pushed.

How about notley placing anti oil activists into every special oil group that she created?? How about shutting down our coal industry over night and yes theres the CARBON TAX.

I mean I can go on and on. At no point has the ndp managed our industry in a positive way. The ndp was happy to ignore all major industry fleeing alberta.

The ndp continues to send out emails saying their diversifying our economy. It's like their ashamed of the oil sands. How about we support our oil and gas instead of diversify.

Hows the social license worked out for our NDP? It's gotten us no where like she claimed it would.
    Last edited by gwill211; 01-02-2019 at 06:41 PM.

And how is the government supposed to stop companies from selling assets, which they do all the time? Offer them billions of tax dollars? Buy it from them?

Oh heavens to betsy, there's people with different viewpoints on government panels! Sound the alarm! Don't they know that only oil companies are allowed to have input?

Diversity is a good thing. Especially when you're dealing with a product subject to volatility in price. Putting all our eggs in one oil basket is what got us where we are today, shipping the lowest value product possible and hoping to make up the balance on volume while others make more off our raw materials than we do.

Just scrape off that "topsoil" and ship it out - the PC Plan now also evidently the United Cretin Party Plan as led by The Grifter.

I'd rather C2E than work!

The ndp continues to send out emails saying their diversifying our economy. It's like their ashamed of the oil sands. How about we support our oil and gas instead of diversify.
    This sounds very much like JTs dribble, his mantra..ugh!

Come on NDP, think for yourselves..that's the problem, you keep kissing JTs @ss

Why are they running so few candidates btw? weird..

How about we support our oil and gas instead of diversify.

How about we do both?

It's a radical and extreme idea, I know.

let me mention it again. If the ndp had put any focus on Alberta's economy or jobs they wouldnt be as hated as they are. Its unfortunate how far down the totem pole the economy/jobs issues were for the ndp for the vast majority of their tenure.
    That may be true.

They cut small business taxes (which helps profitable businesses however not the money losers) but raised some other costs (carbon tax and minimum earners).

As many people ask, what exactly should they have done?

As I’ve said in the past among various actions I would have cut public sector wages while protecting jobs, and rolled out the savings as private sector subsidies and bailouts.

The private sector loves handouts, especially the hidden ones that allow them to continue to bash government spending while living off socialized resource ownership.

Maybe it’s time that we privatize Alberta’s resources. Sell off some or all of the oil sands, conventional and shale resources, timber lands etc.
    Last edited by KC; 02-02-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post

How about we do both?

Sorry we cant do both. We need to work on getting our social license accepted while we diversify. That's the plan put forth by our current govt.

How dare you suggest anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Isnt that part of the issue?? The inaction by the ndp for 3+ years has made it that much worst for alberta. All that waiting around hoping for the best as they pushed the social license agenda on Albertans as the solution.

While alberta was getting walked on by the federal govt and every other province our NDP govt sat around.

I think people should be outraged anytime they hear the ndp continue their talk on diversifying the economy. That's their way of saying we've failed at everything else so here's a pipe dream to hold onto.

Isnt that part of the issue?? The inaction by the ndp for 3+ years has made it that much worst for alberta. All that waiting around hoping for the best as they pushed the social license agenda on Albertans as the solution.

While alberta was getting walked on by the federal govt and every other province our NDP govt sat around.

I think people should be outraged anytime they hear the ndp continue their talk on diversifying the economy. That's their way of saying we've failed at everything else so here's a pipe dream to hold onto.
    Their debt spending created a soft landing.

They looked after the disadvantaged.

They’ve taken action on some long needed issues.

The carbon tax may not be the best tax but the PCs did little to prepare for the inevitable dip in prices. Their actions even increased the inevitable risks.

Even now as people bash the Carbon Tax, they refuse to step up, show some guts and propose any realistic solutions to oil price volatility. No one talks about a means to stabilize government revenues and services or build in flexibility. Is everyone just a *****? Running core needs via a volatile revenue source is openly seen as foolish but no one ever has the guts to say this is exactly what needs to be done to solve the problem.

All we get is useless meaningless platitudes and references to caving in, pandering to JT, fighting, etc. etc. etc. Just artsy-fartsy airy-fairy verbal pulp essentially saying we can have it all, fantastic infrastructure and fantastic services, never ending growth all with no taxes, no hardship, no debt, no forethought.

The NDP’s carbon tax was a huge step in that direction to stabilizing government revenues. They did what four decades of PCs failed to do.
    Last edited by KC; 02-02-2019 at 10:02 AM.

You’re not actually saying much.

Walked on how?

Inaction but what exactly should they have been doing? Lots of useless PR spending maybe? What specific action would have made a difference? How exactly did their inaction make things worse?

We had 40 years of PCs. What diversification did they do?

How about we do both?

Sorry we cant do both. We need to work on getting our social license accepted while we diversify. That's the plan put forth by our current govt.

Oh yeah.

Silly me - I forgot that every business plan nowadays needs to include preaching to the public about curing some hypothetical social crisis (E.g. "toxic masculinity", "white privilege", "islamophobia", etc.).

How about we do both?

Oh yeah.

Silly me - I forgot that every business plan nowadays needs to include preaching to the public about curing some hypothetical social crisis (E.g. "toxic masculinity", "white privilege", "islamophobia", etc.).
    I still don’t know what anyone’s actual plan would be for dealing with our economic problems. UCP? NDP? C2e posters?

Saying let’s support, let’s diversify are just vague useless thoughts.

Give me something tangible for once. There’s hundreds of actions that could be taken so step up and actually put some on the table to discuss.

Do we cut royalties? Shut off all oil to BC to make a point? Shut off all travel and spending in BC to make a point? Spend on R&D? Sell off government assets? (Which ones) Sell off crown mineral rights to some or all of Alberta? Privatize government services? (Which ones?) Cut taxes? Downsize the government? (Exactly how?) Downsize the population? (Stop social supports, business supports, etc and which ones?) Buy rail cars? Subsidize big business? Subsidize small business? Use what exact subsidies? Separate from Canada? Join the US? Put tariffs on non-production goods entering Alberta? Holdback X% of everyone’s taxes to undo equalization? Stop GST? Add user fees to everything? Restructure the tax system to use a corrupt and stick to everything?....
    Last edited by KC; 02-02-2019 at 03:01 PM.

Walked on how?

Inaction but what exactly should they have been doing? Lots of useless PR spending maybe? What specific action would have made a difference? How exactly did their inaction make things worse?

I think you need to come back to reality if you think alberta isnt getting stomped all over by most other provinces as well as our federal govt. For all the current events that you seem to follow you sure have your blinders on when it comes to our NDP govt.

Why is it our NDP wants to continue to push diversification?? Simply put because they've failed at everything else; pipelines, jobs, economy, their social license.

Alberta's become the laughing stock of the world and the ndp hasnt done much to stop that.

Walked on how?

I think you need to come back to reality if you think alberta isnt getting stomped all over by most other provinces as well as our federal govt. For all the current events that you seem to follow you sure have your blinders on when it comes to our NDP govt.

Why is it our NDP wants to continue to push diversification?? Simply put because they've failed at everything else; pipelines, jobs, economy, their social license.

Alberta's become the laughing stock of the world and the ndp hasnt done much to stop that.
    I am very grounded in reality. Give me some specifics and not useless hyperbole. We are a province that has developed a high dependence on high oil prices, high exports of production and high levels of capital investment. All that depends on things outside of our direct control (pipelines and oil/gas market dynamics).

So we can play hardball and maybe get a couple pipelines built. That will not make up for oil prices at half of what we need.

So give me something to work with other than suggesting support for one party over theother will make any appreciable difference.

And every political party should be expected to start presenting some doable actions and not just more verbal diarrhoea.
    Last edited by KC; 02-02-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Actually, most of the rest of the world have no idea where Alberta is, let alone what our economy is like.

And the idea that Alberta is getting stomped on by everyone sounds like you've been taking lessons from the current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania. "Everyone is taking advantage of us" and "These are the worst trade deals ever", "I inherited the worst economy ever", etc, etc.

Why does the NDP want to push diversification? Because having all your eggs in one oil barrel is what leads to the provincial economy being at the mercy of the price of oil. And since we're pushing so much bitumen, we're getting the double whammy of trying to sell a low quality product that needs upgrading before most refineries can use it. So we're stuck selling it to a very small number of refineries that can upgrade it and they're making more money off of Alberta resources than Alberta is.

I didnt realize companies that want to spend billions on big projects wouldnt know much about alberta... news flash. They do. They just arent investing here anymore.

And yes our current govt is a big part of why.

yeah, not a penny.

Imperial braves Canadian price slump with new $2.6 billion oilsands project

Imperial Oil Ltd. is going ahead with its $2.6 billion Aspen oilsands project even as Canadian heavy crude is selling at the lowest prices in at least a decade.

The producer, which is majority-owned by Exxon Mobil Corp., said it made a final investment decision to build the so-called solvent-assisted, steam-assisted gravity drainage site in northern Alberta, and that it will produce 75,000 barrels a day of bitumen once it starts operation. Construction will start in the current quarter and is expected to be compmpleted in 2022.

https://business.financialpost.com/c...l-sand-project
    And

Alberta Targets $1.5 Billion Upgrader to Get More From Oil

The facility, designed by Calgary-based Value Creation Inc., would be located near Edmonton and process 77,500 barrels of diluted bitumen a day into products like medium synthetic crude and ultra-low sulfur diesel. The province is offering a C$440 million loan guarantee, and the project is seeking additional financing as it works toward a final investment decision this year.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...value-from-oil
    And

'A relief': Inter Pipeline to build $3.5 billion plastics project in boost to Canadian oilpatch

CALGARY – In a boost to Alberta’s beleaguered energy industry, Inter Pipeline Ltd. said it will spend $3.5-billion on Canada’s first-ever propane-to-plastics petrochemical plant.

The announcement that a major new energy project will be built is welcome news in Alberta, which has seen a raft of pipelines and natural gas export plants delayed or cancelled, amid a three-year long downturn in oil prices.

Starting next month, Inter Pipeline will spend the next four years building a propane dehydrogenation and polypropylene (PDH-PP) facility, which will take 22,000 barrels of propane per day and convert it into 525,000 tonnes per year of “polymer grade” plastic pellets. The pellets are used to build every day consumer plastic products such as bottles and toys.

“This is a whole new value chain for Canada,” company senior vice-president David Chappell said Monday, adding that there are currently no petrochemical plants in Canada that use propane as a feedstock.

https://business.financialpost.com/c...adian-oilpatch
    What do they all have in common? They're doing something other than simply mining and shipping bitumen. You know, keeping jobs and money here.

Shipping bitumen is like cutting down your forests and simply shipping the raw logs. Value added production turns the logs into lumber and finished products that get a higher price.

yeah, not a penny.

Imperial braves Canadian price slump with new $2.6 billion oilsands project

Imperial Oil Ltd. is going ahead with its $2.6 billion Aspen oilsands project even as Canadian heavy crude is selling at the lowest prices in at least a decade.

The producer, which is majority-owned by Exxon Mobil Corp., said it made a final investment decision to build the so-called solvent-assisted, steam-assisted gravity drainage site in northern Alberta, and that it will produce 75,000 barrels a day of bitumen once it starts operation. Construction will start in the current quarter and is expected to be compmpleted in 2022.

https://business.financialpost.com/c...l-sand-project
    And

Alberta Targets $1.5 Billion Upgrader to Get More From Oil

The facility, designed by Calgary-based Value Creation Inc., would be located near Edmonton and process 77,500 barrels of diluted bitumen a day into products like medium synthetic crude and ultra-low sulfur diesel. The province is offering a C$440 million loan guarantee, and the project is seeking additional financing as it works toward a final investment decision this year.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...value-from-oil
    And

'A relief': Inter Pipeline to build $3.5 billion plastics project in boost to Canadian oilpatch

CALGARY – In a boost to Alberta’s beleaguered energy industry, Inter Pipeline Ltd. said it will spend $3.5-billion on Canada’s first-ever propane-to-plastics petrochemical plant.

The announcement that a major new energy project will be built is welcome news in Alberta, which has seen a raft of pipelines and natural gas export plants delayed or cancelled, amid a three-year long downturn in oil prices.

Starting next month, Inter Pipeline will spend the next four years building a propane dehydrogenation and polypropylene (PDH-PP) facility, which will take 22,000 barrels of propane per day and convert it into 525,000 tonnes per year of “polymer grade” plastic pellets. The pellets are used to build every day consumer plastic products such as bottles and toys.

“This is a whole new value chain for Canada,” company senior vice-president David Chappell said Monday, adding that there are currently no petrochemical plants in Canada that use propane as a feedstock.

https://business.financialpost.com/c...adian-oilpatch
    What do they all have in common? They're doing something other than simply mining and shipping bitumen. You know, keeping jobs and money here.

Shipping bitumen is like cutting down your forests and simply shipping the raw logs. Value added production turns the logs into lumber and finished products that get a higher price.

And don't forget, for every company that sold their assets here, there's someone that purchased them. It's not like they're putting the plants into mothballs.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I didnt realize companies that want to spend billions on big projects wouldnt know much about alberta... news flash. They do. They just arent investing here anymore.

They aren't investing here, or anywhere in Canada...they are investing in the US!!

https://business.financialpost.com/o...eaus-denialism
    Last edited by H.L.; 03-02-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

They aren't investing here, or anywhere in Canada...they are investing in the US!!

But I thought our economy is performing how it should for alberta. Business is booming. People are happy. Everyones working...

Our govts arent part of the issue.

No.. everything is great. That's the consensus out there

You think our ndp govt was pro industry as major oil sand player after major oil sand player sold their alberta assets?? Notley didnt stand up and fight for our oil sands until recently. Notley spoke against other pipelines that she should have fought for and pushed.

How about notley placing anti oil activists into every special oil group that she created?? How about shutting down our coal industry over night and yes theres the CARBON TAX.

I mean I can go on and on. At no point has the ndp managed our industry in a positive way. The ndp was happy to ignore all major industry fleeing alberta.

Hows the social license worked out for our NDP? It's gotten us no where like she claimed it would.
    Ok, so nothing of substance, just buzzwords and alarmism. Thanks for confirming.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

But I thought our economy is performing how it should for alberta. Business is booming. People are happy. Everyones working...

Our govts arent part of the issue.

No.. everything is great. That's the consensus out there
    Our economy is performing as it will when it’s based on cycles driven by factors outside our control and by factors we refuse to do anything about in advance, to mitigate the impact.

In the early 2000s the writing was on the wall with natural gas prices. Horizontal drilling enabled shale gas volumes to explode. So naturally gas prices crashed. So what did the private sector do? It shifted massive amounts of capital investment into the more profitable oil production. It had to in order to survive. So knowing what was happening what did our government do?

So here we are again, reliving the 1980s and 1990s. Same old crap just under a different party banner.

Think back to the Getty years. The massive debt build, the diversification attempts, the praying.

Fool us once shame on our ignorance, fool us twice and it’s something far worse than ignorance at play.

So here we are with a new party saying little other than promising all will be good with them. And then add in the ideologically focused that sees and frames every ill in terms of their slanted ideological world view. NDP has their nutty socialist extremists and the UCP likely has their own collection of extremists. They’ll inevitably try to make nonsensical ideologically driven promises to their followers in exchange for votes. Then they’ll forever give the line that you need to keep voting for them to enable them to “finish the job”.

Watch the nuts in the NDP pull this stunt too.
    Last edited by KC; 03-02-2019 at 01:39 PM.

^^shutting down the coal industry is nothing of substance? The billions in fees we will be paying is no big deal?? Carbon tax is not like by many... again means nothing to you?

The lack of action from our govt on jobs and the economy is a big deal to the vast majority of albertans.

Seems you prefer to live in la la land.

Let me guess if someone says something against the ucp you'll soak it all in and agree with whatever it is.
    Last edited by gwill211; 03-02-2019 at 01:28 PM.

C2E SME

So the UCP is not the least bit pleased about seeing a better price for our oil?

Also, I think the UCP has a lot of contempt making fun of a 19-year-old NDP candidate.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

^^shutting down the coal industry is nothing of substance? The billions in fees we will be paying is no big deal?? Carbon tax is not like by many... again means nothing to you?

The lack of action from our govt on jobs and the economy is a big deal to the vast majority of albertans.

Seems you prefer to live in la la land.

Let me guess if someone says something against the ucp you'll soak it all in and agree with whatever it is.
    Shutting down coal was extreme. I would have kept them operational but at a minimum possible level*. What isn’t talked about is the increased use of natural gas. We’re drowning in the stuff so shifting electricity production to more gas would have helped producers and possibly increased gas prices. (Much like mandated production cuts.) Moreover utilities are shutting down some coal gen simply due to the economics of dirt cheap gas, improved turbines, rapid response of turbines to deal with increasing volatility in integrated grids.)

* mercury and other nasty chemicals in coal emissions will have health effects. I didn’t realize just how often emissions drifted over Edmonton but they do and frequently. So the true health effects may not be grossly overstated as I initially argued in other threads.
    Last edited by KC; 03-02-2019 at 01:48 PM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^^^Only thermal coal used for electricity generation is being phased out by 2030 (not shut down). The mining of metallurgical coal used for making steel will continue.

It would be incredibly foolish for the UCP to reverse the phase-out of thermal coal. Not only from a climate change but also an economic perspective. Hundreds of millions of dollars are being spent to convert the newer coal generation units to natural gas well ahead of the 2030 deadline. But then again foolishness and economic shortsightedness is what Albertans have come to expect from the UCP.

Seamus asked for examples other then the carbon tax which is why I brought up the coal issue. Hes under the impression it's all hyperbole and/or not true.

Heres a quick read in case you need a reminder that the #1 issue people are voting on this election is the economy and jobs.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tops...BT1k07?ocid=st

Alberta businesses dont seem too excited about where we are at the moment. I wonder why?? Is it our federal govt? Our provincial govt?? Is it a little of both??

I mean you just read both responses by East McCauley and KC showing that it was hyperbole, so yeah I'd still say my assumption was correct.

Just remember who was in federal parliament when they decided to upset everyone by Changing the watershed/ways act via omnibus bill, excluded people from consultation with the NEB and ultimately hyper politicized our energy sector, Jason Kenny.

Do not give him the province.. anyone but Kenny.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12