Thread: Jasper Gates Redevelopment

Default Jasper Gates Redevelopment

I received the post-card below in the mail today about a redevelopment project planned for Jasper Gates (the large shopping / commercial area on the SW corner of Stony Plain Road and 149 Street).

There will be an open house to discuss the project from 6 - 8 p.m. next Wednesday, November 28th at the Orange Hub (10045 156 Street, Room # 333).

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Thatís good news. That parking lot alone is a disaster.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

So this is a redevelopment of all the retail in this space? It says re-zoning though, so any chance some residential comes in here too?

ooooh, this is exciting. With RioCan attached too!

Quote Originally Posted by jason403 View Post
    So this is a redevelopment of all the retail in this space? It says re-zoning though, so any chance some residential comes in here too?
    With an LRT station planned for that intersection, I'd say a TOD is likely.

C2E SME

Very big potential for something interesting to happen here. It's about 30 years old, so a lot of the buildings and systems would be reaching end of life. As mostly/all pad-sites, it's a quick bulldoze and redevelop. On the other hand, it's pretty busy most days and they've done a good job keeping it mostly leased up, so kind of a bird in hand/bush thing. Safe to assume that the Safeway would be last to be touched. But the NE corner and East side with London Drugs might make sense to go up or do something similar to the Brewery District.

I'd rather C2E than work!

^Interesting. Rio-Can is making some significant inroads related to intensifying many of their 'under-utilized' sites in major urban centres. Especially sites along high capacity transit routes. Good on em.

Itís interesting that this land was originally prepared for the West Freeway to cut across from McKinnon Ravine to 100 ave. Would have been five minutes at 100k from James Macdonald bridge to 170 st. lol
    Last edited by Drumbones; 22-11-2018 at 04:55 AM.

So what's your point? It’s interesting that this land was originally First Nations lands from McKinnon Ravine to 100 ave. Things change and the COE was right to preserve some parts of the river valley and ravines after so many were used for roads. fcol
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

That freeway would never have been 100kph.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E SME

It would be great to see more residents in this part of town.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Sorry. Iím an urban sprawl and freeway loving type. Spent too much time stateside maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    It’s interesting that this land was originally prepared for the West Freeway to cut across from McKinnon Ravine to 100 ave. Would have been five minutes at 100k from James Macdonald bridge to 170 st. lol
    5 minutes maybe at 3am. Otherwise congestion would negate that. Regardless this freeway would have been an absolute disaster. Thankfully many of those ideas never really materialized.

I attended the open house last night. There were representatives of RioCan, Stantec and CoE present, as well as councillor Andrew Knack. Most of the display boards were fairly general, and I've copied them below if anyone is interested.

The rezoning is expected to go before council in Fall of 2019, and if approved the project will occur in stages to maintain access to anchor tenants, especially Safeway and TD Bank. Those tenants would likely move into new space in the base of higher density buildings in the future.

A significant green space is planned to run North-South through the parcel of land, one display board suggested that there was an opportunity to re-open 150 street. There was also some talk of strengthening pedestrian/bike connections to the MacKinnon ravine, which begins immediately across 149 street from this development.

I'd like t see 150 street through the development used as pedestrian/green space as opposed to vehicle access. Use underground parking for all buildings so we don't end up with a sea of parking lots surrounding these spaces. With the LRT right at the site, parking restrictions could be reduced for the residential component.

Nice to see so many TODs being proposed along the Valley Line. We'll see how many end up being built, but we're succeeding in the first step of getting there (lots of proposals)
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

This is really, really great.